G4S Employee Reviews

Loving and Supportive
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLJanuary 6, 2016
The other officers in the community were a blast to work with. They support each other and some of the residents and frequent visitors make you feel like you are part of the family.
Important work done to protect merchandise, customers and employees.
Bank Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 6, 2016
I am going early before all employees, open the store and helping with the merchandise. All the time I'm watching inside the store.
Care,custody, safety, and security of juveniles services
Case Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLJanuary 4, 2016
Provision of safety, education and rehabilitation of juvenile through mental health services and job set and employable work skill set.
Pros
Developement of youth change agent and counseling youth.
Cons
Long hours, short staff work environment, contract work year to year.
Great place to work!
na (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 3, 2016
This is a great place to work. I would recommend this to any of those who are looking to get a great start in the world of business.
Great company to work for
security guard (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Great accounts to work for, great training and great from office at Branch. Family oriented style of work. Great work ethic and awesome chance to improve skills.
Pros
Family Feel
Co-Workers were like family
security officer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 29, 2015
While working there I met some co-workers that taught me the ways of doing things versus the supervisors . I almost got fired for taking matters into my own hands ,because an supervisor didn't accommodate the situation.
Pros
If you respect the workers and be friendly, yet do your job ; you'll get the same in return
Cons
short breaks, management gets paid more, yet you the one doing the most job
Nice place
security officer (Current Employee) –  Robbinsville, NJDecember 28, 2015
It is cool a little unorganized. The sites are pretty cool but some of the females are lazy. It isn't a bad job overall. A good start off security job.
Productive, organized and focused
Customer Service Supply Chain and Logistics (Former Employee) –  Wright-Patterson AFB, OHDecember 28, 2015
Typical day at work: Quiet and productive
What was learned: Work can be fun if you allow it.
Management: For this particular office, great admiration for the management dealing with the government procedures.
Hardest part of the job: Government pressure.
Most enjoyable part: Co-workers and team
If someone approved this company... THEY LIED
UPSCALE SECUIRTY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2015
The balance of job/work life is like any other job. Only difference is that they can force you to stay overtime if you want to or not They don't care if you had plans, it's your anniversary, or if you had an appointment. Work or be disciplined.
Compensation is more than most security jobs. But consider this, YOU WILL NEVER RECIEVE A RAISE AND YOU WILL NEVER GET TO MOVE TO ANOTHER SITE, OR GET MOVED UP IN THE COMPANY... EVER.
Management is bias and desperate. They're only fair to flex officers or people who work in management. Consider yourself another body.
Job Culture is stressful.
The account holders could careless about you. If you call them, be prepared to be treated rudely, told about how many sites they have and why they can't deal with you. Again, they only care about the flex officers because they're the work horse.
If you file a repost on the company or your site. Nothing will come of it and change will not happen. You can't be a forward thinker, only a robot.
Security is a cut throat business and G4S pays more than most. However, if you want to deal with being micro managed and co-workers who act like they still in highschool, Be my guest.. But if you don't have to work for G4S, please, don't. Consider the post office or something.
Pros
Pay better than MOST security solution companies
Cons
Everything, seriously, everything
Security Officer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 26, 2015
Responsible for the access and egress of the public to restricted areas. Daily monitoring of restricted areas for safety compliance. Prepare written and oral reports of resolution on any problems encountered. Provide assistance to emergency requests from hospital staff on persons with violent, unruly or disruptive behavior in compliance with safety procedures. Provide information to public on medical facilities, areas of special needs and restricted areas. Perform Shift Supervisor duties as required. Duties: Upon report, receive shift supervisor information on incidents, BOLO’s, safety inspections and other security related reports, such as area’s requiring additional screening or patrol.Provide perimeter surveillance on routine and special patrols in facility.
Do Not Work For G4S Lake Academy
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 21, 2015
G4S does not pay well at all. I was working at Lake Academy with at risk youth. First off they only started us off with 8.25 an hour and you don't get any raises at all. They don't tell you that when you get hired. 4 days out of the week you will get stuck at work.... Yeah 16 hour shifts all the time and they don't want to pay you for the overtime. G4S is always always short staff I was always on the unit by myself with 20 mental health at risk youth. so of course short staff there will be fights breaking out or someone trying to harm themselves. How can a staff get written up or blamed when something goes wrong? you can call a code and no one will come. G4S needs to pay better for one, get and keep staff, and retrain the whole company. You can forget about a break because you wont get one but they will still deduct the hour a day from your pay. SMH
Micro Management
Corporate Security Officer/Special Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 18, 2015
This job is great for paying bills and a single life. If you have a family and goals that you want to reach outside of this place its almost impossible. No set schedule no sick days its really tough
G4s
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VADecember 4, 2015
Typical work day consisted of being observant. Ensuring others safety and safe guarding of military vessels was very important. I worked well with coworkers and clients of the facility. Hardest part of the job was the not knowing what shifts or days you were going to work. A simpler way of doing this was not followed by staff. Meeting different people that worked at the site is what I enjoyed the most.
Pros
good people
Cons
work schedule
this place is great
Shift Supervisor/Youth Care Worker II (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXDecember 1, 2015
Very friendly job environment. Management is strict but laid back and very helpful toward their staff. I would not trade it for the world
very loyal and good place to work
Security officer for Sacred Heart Hospital (Current Employee) –  Destin, FLNovember 28, 2015
excellent security company. very well trained and very loyal. I wish the pay was more but great company. I am hoping to become a CPO or supervisor
Pros
interesting, challenging, loyal
Cons
pay
Professional work enviroment
security officer (Current Employee) –  Elmsford, NYNovember 24, 2015
Professional work enviroment.Great benefits for a security company, good medical and dental plans. Outstanding recognition programs, features in the monthly newspaper.
Pros
Cons
The pay rates largely depend on the client. If you have the right client, you pay will be higher. Lack of promotional opportunities
It takes a special breed
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 24, 2015
Working at G4S at my location is minimally tolerable only because of our client. I took the job despite the lousy insurance and almost total lack of benefits. One of the benefits we did get offered was 5 paid holidays a year. Not as much as my previous job, (even the State of NC) but I just wanted to put in a few years before retirement so I settled. Up until this Thanksgiving I've had to work every holiday. Since I'm finally going to be off this Thanksgiving I asked a supervisor some questions so I might figure my check for the period. That's when for the first time, I was told you only get paid for the holidays that you work. Had I known that from the start, I likely would not have taken the job. Another of the perks generously provided by our client is free food. Now that I work in a different building I have a long walk to eat. Being about a 10 minute walk to the cafe and 10 minutes back that exceeds my 15 minute break so I'm unable to take advantage of the morning meal. If you want to work overtime there is sometimes an opportunity if you don't have a life or family. After a recent extensive survey of employees by G4S they found employees were drastically unhappy with their benefits. The magic answer was a new Promote Me program to guide you on your G4s career. If you want some part time work it's not a bad deal but for a full time job? Better put in a few internet searches about the company before signing on. Any company with high turnover should be approached with caution. Expect to have to navigate in the "Old Boy Network" also. You can get 4 weeks of vacation in 5  more... years but realize you will be burning some of that to make up the gaps in you pay left by no real paid holidays. Expect to wait some time for your uniforms. You only get 3 total and that can take some time. I've been waiting a year for a pair of boots.  less
Pros
Free food thanks to the client, great clients to work with.
Cons
Poor insurance, possible 25 cent per year raise, no true paid holidays
Management Needs an Overhaul!
Bank Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Arcata, CANovember 18, 2015
A typical day, is standing near the atms, being a deterrence against crime. Kind of hard to screw that up. Hours remain the same, week in and week out, so there is security in that, and always overtime. Gear is constantly being replaced and is company provided, which is a plus. However, I can send e-mails, text messages, phone calls about important issues that I need answers to (IE My vacation request status) and they never properly respond. They lose paperwork frequently, even if on my end, I have an e-mail/fax delivery confirmation and still they managed to screw up my payroll, once I finally did take the vacation. Scheduling, is also a nightmare. My hours kept being changed in their system so that it would short me hours that I worked and I was consistently having to send in corrections so that I would get paid the correct amount on each pay check. The pay is higher than other companies in my area and I do get 2 weeks paid vacation.
Pros
2 weeks vacation, pay is decent, steady hours, and over time
Cons
Disorganized and poor communicative management
Eh
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILNovember 17, 2015
My Account manager wasnt the greatest which made my expierence not so great and there was no regular raises which was terrible
good enviroment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  GuamNovember 15, 2015
security job was exciting, meeting new customers on a daily & learning new duties to perform. This job helped me discipline myself with my attitude & hospitality. A great job to work with many different customers & ensuring the best safety of our customers/ company.
Pros
overtime
Cons
short breaks