G4S

1.4K reviews

G4S Employee Reviews

Productive and great training
Special Police Officer (Former Employee), Washington dcJune 30, 2015
It was a great experience for me. Great training and benefits. I have learned a lot while working at the Holocaust museum. great supervisors and great employees.
I really was not happy with this company
Shift Supervisor Security Officer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 28, 2015
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: lots of overtime, poor management and benefits
I worked fo G4S for over 2 years. I really thought that the company needed different people in management. The communication was horrible. No one seem to have your our back as guards. The benefits were pitful. Most of the time it was unsure what are roles were as guards. I would not work fo this company again.
Not very punctual or dependable when needed
Rover (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJune 26, 2015
My typical day would be to patrol around warehouse environments making sure people or animals were not on property. I didn't learn a whole lot other than to not trust people when they say you can do something. Management was a joke they had a receptionist who was rude most of the time when calling, never showed up to sites like they stated. Co-workers were friendly never met one who was not nice.

Hardest part of the job was the work schedule, it differed so much was like shift work.
leadership
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
their way of running things can be a horrible experience depending on the site you are put at and the supervisors you may have. Some of the people i have come across were wonderful people and like any company some were bad. With me being supervisor at my site i havent gotten any complaints on the way things were ran at my site.
A job is a job
Security Officer (Former Employee), orlando,flJune 24, 2015
Pros: self-management, independence, full-time hours
Cons: low pay rate, no advancements, inadequate benefits
I enjoyed the people I worked with and I believe that G4S care about their employees, but this job becomes old really quick. The pay is not that good and it's little to no room to advance. It's a good job to have while in school.
Productive and nice place to work
Security Control Room Officer (Current Employee), Manassas, VAJune 19, 2015
working from 03:00PM to 07:00 AM next day
Security is everyone responsibility
Good Management
Nice
when they system was down
supervising
Please shoot me!!
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee), Grandstrand Medical Myrtle BeachJune 13, 2015
Pros: Hard to say, seemed like a great bunch of guys at the site. Better if you are interested in being armed.
Cons: pay, benefits, loss of hopes and dreams. end of life as we know it.
Got the Job Unarmed Security Officer - did the training at a hotel for the best part of 2 weeks, got paid minimum wage. Showed up at site only to find that the real job was patient watch, 40 to 60 hours a week. I cant sit still for that long, and there was no way I was going to sit there and watch people or monitors by myself in a hall, for 8 to 12 hours at a time. I told the Manager I was not going to do the job and went back to looking for a job. That was a waste of a month of my time. Only apply for this job if you have no thoughts in your brain and the ability to sit and stare for long periods of time without falling asleep...
Custom Protection Flex Officer
Custom Protection Officer - Flex (Current Employee), West Chester, OHJune 13, 2015
Pros: top pay
Cons: different posts, different shifts sometimes changing by day
As a Flex Officer I am placed on various posts as needed. I am also at the top of the pay scale. To become a Custom Protection Officer you must have military and/or police experience.
Low Pay for what you do especially if you're a Supervisor
On-Site Supervisor (Current Employee), Coldwater, MichiganJune 12, 2015
Pros: The Clients
Cons: Everything I mentioned.
As an On-Site Supervisor you have kind of the best hrs, but your pay is bad! If you work over 40hrs in a week, you do not get 1 1/2 your pay, you get the pay that your employees get. Which is considerably lower than you would at a normal job.

If you get sick, G4S is more worried about whether there is coverage for your shift, than how you are doing. It's truly about the clients and not their employees.

There are no sick days period. You only get vacation of 5 day AFTER a year at the job that pays you the same hourly rate with NO pay raises. There are no promotions if you are at a site that has only 4 people...You are it!!

Where I work, on my shift, there are no breaks. Bathroom is a football field away. No lunch breaks(part of the no breaks) and standing on your feet 8+ hrs a day. I must walk close to 2 miles a day just checking out the trailers leaving the facility. You are out in the elements everyday.

Upper Management does not stand up for you. All my guys do not like this person. He does not listen when you are talking, he already has in his head what he wants to say, whether it pertains to the subject or not!
Detention Life
Detention Officer (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 10, 2015
My typical day was making sure my paperwork was done and watching the detainees. I really haven't learned a lot from this job because its all common sense. Management is horrible and lies about everything. Co-works are ok but can become very lazy because they have been there for so long.
Be Prepared to Work
Security Officer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 7, 2015
You never know when your gonna be asked to work overtime so be prepared. It is an okay experience thus far. Benefits could be a little better.
Low Paying company
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee), Nashville, TnJune 4, 2015
Pros: Independent workplace
Cons: Pay was very low no benefits
A typical day at work for G4S would be checking in and out visitors that come in on the property. I learned that security is a very serious job. Management was never around to solve any issues or complaints. The rules would constantly change without notice and we would be penalized for them. The hardest part of the job was understanding the policies and procedures as they changed daily. The most enjoyable part was getting to work at metro water locations and seeing the history of the water treatment plants.
G4s
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 28, 2015
Pros: Needs better communication and workers
Cons: its a job
They are an okay job to work for if you are just looking to work and not looking for a career. They need to do better on communication and understanding that people have lives outside of work. The job does not recognize good workers when they have them. The good thing is that as long as you work you will always have a job.
Great Security Company
Site Supervisor/Security Guard (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Great management, benefits, and opportuntiy for advancement
Cons: low pay, single coverage at certain posts, long days and hours when short-handed
I thoroughly enjoyed working for G4S and was sad to have to depart. The management for G4S and the post account management were excellent people to wok for. They went above and beyond to accommodate me and other officers when personal obligations came about. I started out as a security officer and within 10 days I was promoted to Site Supervisor. This level of advancement is not typical but it can happen when in the right place at the tight time. As far as job security is concerned, as long as you do the job as the post account management likes then you have no worries. Personal safety on the other hand leaves a few things to be desired. The post I worked was solo coverage (not all accounts are single) from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. Monday-Friday and 24 hours on Sat and Sun. Granted we each only worked 7 or 8 hours each day but we were alone after hours. Had something happened to any of us that would render us unconscious no one would know until found by a passerby or our relief officer did. I was unfortunately targeted by a few individuals and they did their best to cause me harm. It was for this reason I decided to vacate my position. Had things been a little better in personal safety I would still be at my post.
It's OK
Train Guard (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 27, 2015
As for on the job training it lacks bad. Pay isn't bad for security work. They aren't the greatest at providing breaks and you are on your feet all 8 hours.
Very Organized, and Professional place of work
Security Officer (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Alot of communication time with others, interaction
Cons: Had to walk on oil slick floors
Typed procedures done for the day
Monitored the activies of employees through television and cameras of the facility.
The most enjoyable part was the interaction between myself and the workers.
ok
Bank Protection Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
weekly pay, stable job, no health benefits, no vacation benefits, forced to work far away from home, old and out dated equipment used.
i like the job so far being that i am a new employee
security officer (Current Employee), beaumont texasMay 26, 2015
its great i see my self stepping up and possibly making this a career if there is more money offered maybe even moving out of the state or city
Not Worth The Effort
Up Scale Security Officer (Current Employee), Huntsville, AL.May 25, 2015
Pros: Offers Benefits, but very expensive!
Cons: Lack of Morals and bad management on every level.
This company seems great on the outside, and it would be a very good fit for anyone just needing extra money without any big responsibilities or retired. For anyone else this company is lacking morals on many levels without a good understanding of why it lacks them.
Promises of higher wages or examples of high wages before you apply are not what you get. If the website says $15 per hour, expect to be offered $9 per hour. They will lie to you about open positions at other security sites and do everything in their power not to promote within the company for the officers who deserve more wages and better benefits.
If you must take a job with this company remember this, It's not Veteran friendly and they will lie to you every step of the way.
Look elsewhere if possible and if not get a pistol license and demand to be an armed guard otherwise you'll never advance in the company.
Good environment
Security Officer (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VaMay 23, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people and learning new job skills
Cons: No breaks, Not competitive pay, long commute
A typical work day includes overseeing parking lot areas, inspecting vehicles, inspecting carry in bags and checking for proper Identification for access onto the shipyard property.
Headquarters