G4S

1.4K reviews

G4S Employee Reviews

Custom Protection Flex Officer
Custom Protection Officer - Flex (Current Employee), West Chester, OHJune 13, 2015
Pros: top pay
Cons: different posts, different shifts sometimes changing by day
As a Flex Officer I am placed on various posts as needed. I am also at the top of the pay scale. To become a Custom Protection Officer you must have military and/or police experience.
Low Pay for what you do especially if you're a Supervisor
On-Site Supervisor (Current Employee), Coldwater, MichiganJune 12, 2015
Pros: The Clients
Cons: Everything I mentioned.
As an On-Site Supervisor you have kind of the best hrs, but your pay is bad! If you work over 40hrs in a week, you do not get 1 1/2 your pay, you get the pay that your employees get. Which is considerably lower than you would at a normal job.

If you get sick, G4S is more worried about whether there is coverage for your shift, than how you are doing. It's truly about the clients and not their employees.

There are no sick days period. You only get vacation of 5 day AFTER a year at the job that pays you the same hourly rate with NO pay raises. There are no promotions if you are at a site that has only 4 people...You are it!!

Where I work, on my shift, there are no breaks. Bathroom is a football field away. No lunch breaks(part of the no breaks) and standing on your feet 8+ hrs a day. I must walk close to 2 miles a day just checking out the trailers leaving the facility. You are out in the elements everyday.

Upper Management does not stand up for you. All my guys do not like this person. He does not listen when you are talking, he already has in his head what he wants to say, whether it pertains to the subject or not!
Detention Life
Detention Officer (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 10, 2015
My typical day was making sure my paperwork was done and watching the detainees. I really haven't learned a lot from this job because its all common sense. Management is horrible and lies about everything. Co-works are ok but can become very lazy because they have been there for so long.
Be Prepared to Work
Security Officer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 7, 2015
You never know when your gonna be asked to work overtime so be prepared. It is an okay experience thus far. Benefits could be a little better.
Low Paying company
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee), Nashville, TnJune 4, 2015
Pros: Independent workplace
Cons: Pay was very low no benefits
A typical day at work for G4S would be checking in and out visitors that come in on the property. I learned that security is a very serious job. Management was never around to solve any issues or complaints. The rules would constantly change without notice and we would be penalized for them. The hardest part of the job was understanding the policies and procedures as they changed daily. The most enjoyable part was getting to work at metro water locations and seeing the history of the water treatment plants.
G4s
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 28, 2015
Pros: Needs better communication and workers
Cons: its a job
They are an okay job to work for if you are just looking to work and not looking for a career. They need to do better on communication and understanding that people have lives outside of work. The job does not recognize good workers when they have them. The good thing is that as long as you work you will always have a job.
Great Security Company
Site Supervisor/Security Guard (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Great management, benefits, and opportuntiy for advancement
Cons: low pay, single coverage at certain posts, long days and hours when short-handed
I thoroughly enjoyed working for G4S and was sad to have to depart. The management for G4S and the post account management were excellent people to wok for. They went above and beyond to accommodate me and other officers when personal obligations came about. I started out as a security officer and within 10 days I was promoted to Site Supervisor. This level of advancement is not typical but it can happen when in the right place at the tight time. As far as job security is concerned, as long as you do the job as the post account management likes then you have no worries. Personal safety on the other hand leaves a few things to be desired. The post I worked was solo coverage (not all accounts are single) from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. Monday-Friday and 24 hours on Sat and Sun. Granted we each only worked 7 or 8 hours each day but we were alone after hours. Had something happened to any of us that would render us unconscious no one would know until found by a passerby or our relief officer did. I was unfortunately targeted by a few individuals and they did their best to cause me harm. It was for this reason I decided to vacate my position. Had things been a little better in personal safety I would still be at my post.
It's OK
Train Guard (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 27, 2015
As for on the job training it lacks bad. Pay isn't bad for security work. They aren't the greatest at providing breaks and you are on your feet all 8 hours.
Very Organized, and Professional place of work
Security Officer (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Alot of communication time with others, interaction
Cons: Had to walk on oil slick floors
Typed procedures done for the day
Monitored the activies of employees through television and cameras of the facility.
The most enjoyable part was the interaction between myself and the workers.
ok
Bank Protection Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
weekly pay, stable job, no health benefits, no vacation benefits, forced to work far away from home, old and out dated equipment used.
i like the job so far being that i am a new employee
security officer (Current Employee), beaumont texasMay 26, 2015
its great i see my self stepping up and possibly making this a career if there is more money offered maybe even moving out of the state or city
Not Worth The Effort
Up Scale Security Officer (Current Employee), Huntsville, AL.May 25, 2015
Pros: Offers Benefits, but very expensive!
Cons: Lack of Morals and bad management on every level.
This company seems great on the outside, and it would be a very good fit for anyone just needing extra money without any big responsibilities or retired. For anyone else this company is lacking morals on many levels without a good understanding of why it lacks them.
Promises of higher wages or examples of high wages before you apply are not what you get. If the website says $15 per hour, expect to be offered $9 per hour. They will lie to you about open positions at other security sites and do everything in their power not to promote within the company for the officers who deserve more wages and better benefits.
If you must take a job with this company remember this, It's not Veteran friendly and they will lie to you every step of the way.
Look elsewhere if possible and if not get a pistol license and demand to be an armed guard otherwise you'll never advance in the company.
Good environment
Security Officer (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VaMay 23, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people and learning new job skills
Cons: No breaks, Not competitive pay, long commute
A typical work day includes overseeing parking lot areas, inspecting vehicles, inspecting carry in bags and checking for proper Identification for access onto the shipyard property.
great work enviroment
Seucrity Officer (Current Employee), Houston TexasMay 21, 2015
Weighed chemical trucks, completed their paper work, signed drivers in and out. Put together the truck schedule and paper work for the following day.
Everyone looked out for each other
Security Officer (Former Employee), Detroit MIMay 21, 2015
Pros: unity
Cons: people not understanding why security is so tight at federal bldg
excited to protect people. I am very passionate about the safety and security of our nation. I enjoyed helping people with directions, and offering a friendly smile to brighten their day. My co-workers were very knowlegable and easy to get along with.
It was a learning experience with the youth in the juvenile system.
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMay 20, 2015
Pros: Learning to respect themselves and others.
Cons: When they give up on themselves.
A typical work day is that you have to remain positive at all times.No matter what the situation is.I worked with male youth from ages 12-19 that are the system.I have learned that it is not always the youths fault. And to keep an open mind.My co-workers are awesome.The hardest part of the job is when the youth don't try.The most enjoyable part of my day is the youth witha smile on his face and say I maded it through the program.
Productive work daily
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 20, 2015
Cons: shot break
Typical day at work is meeting people
Learn to have more restrain with hostile people
Management is excellent work with each one
Work well with co-workers
Hardest part of the job is to enforced the rules
Most enjoyable part of the job is helping people
Enjoyed the job working with the youth
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee), Brownwood, TexasMay 19, 2015
Pros: Working with youth
Cons: Benefits and working to many hours
Bad culture, double standards not fair treatment of all workers there Loved working with the youth, Hardest part of work was the unfair treatment of some employees.
Good Company
Security Guard (Former Employee), Upper Darby, PAMay 19, 2015
Nice company, work will vary depending on where you're contracted to work at. I've learned that you must cover your assets while working in security, it's VERY important.
Security is serious business therefore no pool tables or other activities
Custom protection (Former Employee), Smyrna, GAMay 13, 2015
I was hired for the Advance security officer training and qualified successfully in all areas. Utilized armed and unarmed arena when and where needed.
Headquarters