G4S
1,256 reviews

G4S Employee Reviews

It's a job.....
Uniformed Security Officer (Current Employee), TuscaloosaMarch 20, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: micro-managed, narsictic old farts, chaos at times, favortism to certain employees
Took this job because I had previous experience at this hospital and I needed a job while going back to school at Alabama. It has become micro-managed since new software and systems have been implemented. You have to deal with a bunch of old geezers that take their job TOO seriously, I mean come on, you are not working for Black Water. Uniformed Security Offices can not have any type of weapon, we are not supposed to help any patients with physical contact without the consent of a nurse, whom are often to busy. There is NO room for advancement unless you have former military experience and the pay sucks at $9.20. The night shift can get crazy since this is a college town, there are about 3-4 shooting victims a week and the whole family usually shows up causing the triage area to get hectic. The benefits are really good and is the only reason I have stayed. As soon as I can find a better job I am out of there!
Terrible company
Security first respondet (Former Employee), Belevidere ILMarch 18, 2015
Cons: jokes about females on a daily basis
100% terrible had to go to the bathroom in cups because they would never give you a break ... 7 day work weeks 12 hr shifts and people would call off 5 mins before the start of there shift
dont get the insurance
Lead Security/Safety Officer (Current Employee), Zeeland, MIMarch 18, 2015
Pros: you get a paycheck...most of the time.
I love the assignment, I love everything about it. g4s however leaves everything to be desired. I was promised 90 day bonus and never saw it. My doctor said the insurance is the worst she has ever seen, please don't waste your money. I felt like I was cloak and daggered into this job and suddenly I am left standing here having no idea how to do my job (ZERO training before dumping me on the client) You need to check your pay EVERY hour and know that you are probably not getting it all. Figure taxes out because I think that's where I got the most "accidental errors". FAMILY INSUARNCE IS OVER 530.00 A MONTH. Management isn't worth a darn, if you have questions about pay or anything to with the job, you are better off googling it. I know times are hard and a job is a job, but don't expect anything. You are a number. don't get the insurance is my last repeated advice.
Nice company to work for, great pay.
Shift Supervisor/ CPO (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 17, 2015
Easy to do job, with great pay. Benefits could be better. Health insurance is a little higher than expected. Overall decent job.
Good for first time job.Not for careers
Receptionist (Current Employee), Fremont, CAMarch 14, 2015
Management and environment could be a lot better. They do not compensate employees well. They are very unorganized and you will find yourself being under unnecessary stress. They need to update protocol.
Prodcutive place to be serious
Security Officer (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 14, 2015
A typical day at work can be stressful because you have people willing to cooperate and others don't. Im still learning and don't expect to stop learning. Management is okay just wish more money per hour was offered.
Fair
Security Officer (Current Employee), CambridgeMarch 13, 2015
A typical day at work: Tours, desk work
The management is fair
Co-workers make the experience working with G4s enjoyable
Fun
Security Officer (Former Employee), Lexington, KYMarch 9, 2015
Making sure people were safe and the company was safe.
The co-workers had eachothers back we were there for one another.
unequal treatment of employees
Traditional Security Officer (Former Employee), Tucson,AZ.March 9, 2015
Pros: training for state required license in house and hours for class are paid.
Cons: last minute assignments and if you are not liked, unequal handling of punishment.
This company does not have a consistent treatment of it's employees. Rules and company policies are not levied equally.
Good Place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: boss` would let you work without bothering you too much.
Cons: rotating staff
If I wasnt terminated I would still be there. Good Pay, Laid back attitude and easy to wake up and go to work without worry.
Decent workplace
Critical Facility Officer (Former Employee), New JerseyMarch 3, 2015
Long-sitting/standing hours. Friendly people, not the job for active individuals. For those looking for more of a part-time job or ways to make additional income, this is a job for you.
good place to work if you like security work
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee), Warren, MIMarch 3, 2015
Pros: excellent training basic good compensation
Cons: have some unusual way of doing particular aspects of job
g4s is a good security company to work for overall somethings like people management should be changed people who want to do there best or concerned are not always addressed properly they treat people good most of the time but some managers are hard press to treat people they don,t like badly but if you do your job properly you are rewarded. a day at this site was enjoyable you had all the tools you needed to do your job properly training was excellent the are visiually concerned about there workers at this company
like the independance of working alone
custom protection officer (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARMarch 2, 2015
Pros: decent pay and benefits
Cons: contracts change frequentk\ly, which causes you to have to change job sites often.
the company itself has good perks, but my immediate supervisor was not very good at communicating information needed be sufficient at times
Excellent employee management and environment
SITE CAPTAIN (Current Employee), Newark, DEMarch 2, 2015
Flexible, interesting workdays
Broad field with many learning opportunities
Good job for furthering career opportunities/promotions
Like the hours but the job is boring.
Security Guard (Current Employee), Stillwater East Boulder Mine 30 mi so Big Timber.February 28, 2015
Pros: free ride to work on buses (40 miles one way)
Cons: boredom with a low activity job.
I like the hours I work, i.e., 3 12 hour shifts per week. The job is sometimes very boring. Co-workers are great manegement not so much. I liked the small business atmosphere of Guardian compare to the large corporation of G4S.
Not Happy, ready to move on
Security Officer (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OhFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: pays bills
Cons: benefits sucks, sites sucks, supervisor sucks
If your thinking about coming to this company do your research. If you are military, x-police or retired this company will be ok for you. Im sorry i extremely hate my job site, security is supposed to be a breezy job but at my site my supervisor is an unprofessional, incompetent, army reject who dnt care about his employees, he's just an butt kisser who makes all of his employees blow steam at him everyday or do the best they can to avoid him. Alot of drama and im not talking about with your co-workers. This company or maby just the Cincinnati office dnt want to accommodate the needs of their employees and its hard to move to another site. Oh and pay checks are short probly once a month. Iv been doing security for a while and worked with other companies, and sites but only being with this company 6 months. Im done
Investigations
Security Officer (Current Employee), Tuscola, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great hours
Cons: low pay
This allowed me to find a position that kept me in a law enforcement career and I was able to have a decent income along with home time.
Really evaluate this company and your options.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: you get a paycheck
Cons: poor management, to many "mangers & supervisors", poor chain of command, constantly degrading employees. (the list continues)
Let me begin by saying that I'm very generous with a 1 star rating. I really don't even know where to begin with this review.

First and foremost, contrary to their website, G4S is just another security company. Don't get excited about thinking a career can be made through them. Now were to start?........

My background includes a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice, Air Force Veteran, and also a ten year law enforcement background, including state and county levels. When I saw the G4S website and noticed a position available in an area where I would be moving to, I figured that it would be a perfect fit with my background. After applying online I was contacted via email with a date and time to report for an interview. Interview went very well, even though we never spent a lot of time talking about the job. My interviewer had to stop the interview several times to take phone calls from other employees because their relief was late, or had unexpectedly quit (should have been my first clue). Interview ended a short time later and roughly four days later I received and "contract" email which explained my job site, my employment status, hours per week, and hourly pay (I'll get to that shortly), I accepted the contract and within a week I received a phone call telling me when to report for training (to this day we have never met the gentleman who contacted us, nor does the office no who he is). Training was NOT what I expected, basically its two weeks of power-points. After training the company pushed back my start date by three weeks (all without pay). Still through this time I – more... had never received my duty gear, my uniforms, or anything, then finally when I did start I received my gear that day.

Benefits/Pay = benefits are poor, if you accept the insurance, don't expect to have a good paycheck, it goes toward that. No room for advancement (even though they tell you there is). The pay is decent for my area, but the contract I signed said that I would receive 40+ hours a week, ummm, no...more like 32-37. Be careful, that's how they'll get you. They'll tell you "its based on our needs"

Management = very poor and God awful! You have your onsite supervisor then from there it expands to a countless number of people. You get a contact list (but it changes without notice, had this happen recently), but if you contact the wrong person without knowing....be prepared to be reprimanded. They expect you to carry yourself one way, act a certain way and look a certain way, but none of the upper management managers follow their commands, should lead by example (you would think). If you have questions or concerns and you attempt to make contact with them, be prepared to spend a good amount of time being told to call other people. As anyone with prior LEO experience would know, you make a lot of judgement calls on site........just a word of advice, DO NOT MAKE A JUDGEMENT CALL, no matter what you do.....your wrong. Punishment for making a judgement call, you get a "policy refresher" then you are tested on what you have reviewed.

Report writing = if you have many years of report writing experience, be prepared to throw all that out the window, cause your wrong, your always wrong and always will be wrong. No matter how you were previously trained to write reports (myself for example came from a state academy and also while in college), go ahead and be prepared to have it sent back and told "do it again". Everything you do while on post goes in as an incident report. Did you open a door? Yes, write a report and give detailed description as to why you did. Did you close a door? Yes, write a report. Did you turn off a set of lights? Yes, write a report. Normally when your reports are sent back you will be asked to add information that is irrelevant or sometimes information that you are not aware of (this has also happened to me). If at anytime you question what you are being asked or have a disagreement with management, you're put on their "list", and its not good.

On-site = The onsite job isn't bad. The contract to which I work is decent, the people who are employed at the building are extremely friendly and will engage in conversation. My onsite supervisor is a really good guy, very down to earth. Really have nothing negative to say about the contract location.

I'm sure when I review this that I'll see topics that I've missed. As far as a paycheck, yes you get one but don't expect to make money. Your schedule is constantly changing and you cant really plan days off. This is just a mini stop till something else lines itself out and opens up. Be sure to weigh all your options before taking a job with this company or even considering this company. – less
G4S / Custom Protection Officer
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee), Delaware, OhioFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: g4s has posts all over this planet...and the usa.
Cons: pay could come up, position advancement.
G4S is like any other major Security company dedicated to Protective services. The use of Ex military, Ex Law enforcement Officers and individuals with some type of Criminology degree, helps to "weed out" individuals that use these type of jobs as a stepping stone to a more profitable job (sometimes even for an additional "buck" × hr.) * Remember "boys and girls", IT IS SECURITY... and it's all about you (NOT THE COMPANY) ..providing a Professional service to a customer that requires it...and that you accepted to provide regardless the monetary remuneration that was offered to you . I have been Lucky I guess, that I landed a Post in a Great facility were everybody is a professional (executives,supervisors,IT technicians and Security personnel) and on the hands of a Security site manager that cares for his people and the job.
Yeah...its 12 bucks x hr......but Look around you and then decide. ** One last word (guess I've said enough), If you are one of these "Boys and Girls"...that CRY when it's really COLD,HOT,RAINING,SNOWING outside and there is a Blizzard and have to patrol to DO YOUR JOB...well CRY on your way OUT....because ..THIS JOB IS NOT FOR YOU...!!!!! Good Luck and Happy trails to all.
I wouldn't suggest working for the San Fernando Valley Office
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee), San Fernando ValleyFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: paid every week and u have a job
Cons: no advancement, no raises, poor management
I work at this company for about 2 years. I wouldn't suggest working in the San Fernando Valley because of management they are a joke! At my work site we would not get paid right at least once a month! You would have to wait 2 weeks to get your money you work for. Company plays favoritism for employees. The only way you see management at your work site is for them to give you negative feedback it was never positive!

If you complain to the office they wouldn't do anything! You can't complain to the HOT LINE because the management would retaliate against you and make your life miserable! I had two co workers complain and then the operations manager shows up at you site and starts harassing you! Co workers leave the company they don't last for more than a year.

About G4S

G4S is the leading global integrated security company specialising in the provision of security products, services and solutions. The – Read more

G4S Salaries