G4S

1.6K reviews

G4S Employee Reviews

Great for the un-respecting
Upscale Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COOctober 17, 2012
Entering to then be vigilant and listener to others to show respect and a chance to get to know the people whom are being protected under security.
As security I learned not much more than what is required in the military to know my surroundings, be watchful of anything new, and be ready for anything. Only thing I did was get to know the people I protected to show them that I can be a friend, ally, but when things hit the fan it's then understood that they need to trust me, and so they did.
As for a management and co-workers it's nothing short of a brawl of miss communication, favoritism, and discrimination towards one another. I brought information to my superiors though nothing was done but the opposite.
Hardest part of my job would have to be nothing. It was a laid back job and had no perks of wanting to stay. Though the most enjoyable part was getting to know the people whom I, as a security officer, protected and gained their trust and respect.
Cons
lack of communication, no respect, discrimination
It's a job.....
Uniformed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  TuscaloosaMarch 20, 2015
Took this job because I had previous experience at this hospital and I needed a job while going back to school at Alabama. It has become micro-managed since new software and systems have been implemented. You have to deal with a bunch of old geezers that take their job TOO seriously, I mean come on, you are not working for Black Water. Uniformed Security Offices can not have any type of weapon, we are not supposed to help any patients with physical contact without the consent of a nurse, whom are often to busy. There is NO room for advancement unless you have former military experience and the pay sucks at $9.20. The night shift can get crazy since this is a college town, there are about 3-4 shooting victims a week and the whole family usually shows up causing the triage area to get hectic. The benefits are really good and is the only reason I have stayed. As soon as I can find a better job I am out of there!
benefits
Cons
micro-managed, narsictic old farts, chaos at times, favortism to certain employees
Not Worth The Effort
Up Scale Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, AL.May 25, 2015
This company seems great on the outside, and it would be a very good fit for anyone just needing extra money without any big responsibilities or retired. For anyone else this company is lacking morals on many levels without a good understanding of why it lacks them.
Promises of higher wages or examples of high wages before you apply are not what you get. If the website says $15 per hour, expect to be offered $9 per hour. They will lie to you about open positions at other security sites and do everything in their power not to promote within the company for the officers who deserve more wages and better benefits.
If you must take a job with this company remember this, It's not Veteran friendly and they will lie to you every step of the way.
Look elsewhere if possible and if not get a pistol license and demand to be an armed guard otherwise you'll never advance in the company.
Pros
Offers Benefits, but very expensive!
Cons
Lack of Morals and bad management on every level.
if you are all about pay check to pay check
Lead Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisFebruary 2, 2016
in their eyes you are just a warm body
turn over is high
employee concern is much lower than -1 with most account managers concerned with only one thing and that's not the health and well being of their employees.
Example : I was in charge of a mall , it was winter and in my entire working career I never injured myself on a job until this one, I fractured my fibula , called everyone that I could think of and nobody answered their phone and then I called a number I never used which connected me to Corporate Florida ( I'm from Chicago), I woke up my boss's boss's boss and after that I was called be my boss's boss and he inquired the incident by exclaiming DO YOU EXPECT ME TO PAY FOR YOUR INJURY !
And still sent no assistance !!!
5 monthes later I was laid off due to lack of work.
That was in October of 2015 ... Now after 2 years employment 2/ 2016 still seeking employment.
This company works Government contracts and is World wide.
Pros
your employed
Cons
you are employed
Learned alot but ready for a new challenge
HR. Assistant/ Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2013
A typical week
Four days out of the week is specifically for interviewing and hiring.
One day is to review all drug tests and back ground results. Also schedule orientation and provide detail information to those coming back in for the full hiring process. Be attentive to any situations that arise such as termination, transferring and discrepancy issues.

Learned
Had to support different managers and provide accurate information weekly.Gained the experience to learn and grow with in the HR department.Developed job fairs and began an outreach program
Organization skills which assist with different audits

The hardest part would be being able to be available at any time.

The most enjoyable part of G4S is being able to work with a diverse team. In addition support different projects in different states.
Pros
able to work from any place and traveled alot
Cons
insurance was exremely high for one person
Still another guard company
Custom Programmed Officer (Current Employee) –  Polk County FloridaMay 29, 2014
So much bling on their webpage in the USA and in Europe. Yet they still consider you a number to make money and give you all the pats on the backs you want, till you fall.

It's good to work yes, be able to eat. That's all they are good for and they know it. Running into the G4S person from Europe about a year ago and he said it best.

USA G4S is a clustermuck.....

People who are in uniform and have brass on their shoulders are diluting themselves. Unless of course you have relations with the client as former employee and are put there to keep an eye on things.

I saw it posted a few times about G4S and its so true,

No matter how many way-to-gos you have one oops and you are history.

Work for them and make do and be realistic about it. You are better than they are and are there just to find the right path later.

Good luck.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
no comensurate pay, client imbedding thier own inside the company sites, week knee puppets with captain bars. it can go on.
It is a job. Better than nothing.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 29, 2013
The job stays interesting, and there are always new challenges. Unfortunately some of those challenges include ever shifting management, scheduling errors which fall back on the officer, and as of late a reduction in permitted paid miles. Pay is based on contract and every site pays differently. Many are not worth the drive. Schedule can be insane with 20 hours of work in a single day and nothing for the rest of the week. With multiple people making the schedules, it isn't uncommon to be scheduled in two places at once without being informed of at least one of them. Which will fall back on you.

The company is military friendly, and if you are willing to work and won't say no to a job, you can rack up the hours. But be careful and watch your pay stub. It is not uncommon to be short.
Pros
military friendly
Cons
average pay, crazy hours, new management forgets to schedule off-site employees, benefits aren't worth the money.
Security and Customer Service
Flex Officer (Current Employee) –  Pella, IAJanuary 26, 2014
* Perform security patrols of designated areas on foot or in vehicle,
* Watch for irregular or unusual conditions that may create security concerns or safety hazards.
* Sound alarms or call police or fire department in case of fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
* Warn violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking or carrying forbidden articles
* Permit authorized persons to enter property and monitors entrances and exits
* Observe departing personnel to protect against theft of company property and ensure that authorized removal of property is conducted within appropriate client requirements
* Investigate and prepare reports on accidents, incidents, and suspicious activities
* Provide assistance to customers, employees and visitors in a courteous and professional manner
Pros
close location to home. great set of employees
Cons
low pay, no bennifits, micromanaging area supervisors
Stable and professional work environment
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJanuary 18, 2013
A typical day at work consists of a morning (or night) briefing of current events that happened at the location and events that are coming up. We are given our daily itinerary and then dispersed to relieve the shift that is currently working.

The position has increased my situational awareness and has taught and has had me embrace methodical thinking before during and after I perform any tasks and activities.

The hardest part of the job is there is a great deal of downtime. I am the type of person that needs to be constantly busy, constantly challenged and constantly learn new things.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when I am able to interact with others, when I am able to help others develop and able to assist people in different avenues.
Pros
job stability, support from supervision, overtime opportunity
Cons
personal time, compensation, long hours, no "holiday's", mandatory overtime
Dont work for these people
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHMay 14, 2012
Parma Office has a terrible ankle biting attitude. Their to busy waging war among themselves to actually manage any of the guards they hire.. You are just a means to an paycheck to them.

Getting anything out of them like uniforms is a pain in the backside and usually its tag along with some kind of threats for no reason. Other than because they can.

Upper management will talk about personal matters or states of employment to anyone with an ear. Belittling and Slander accompanied with the sense to make themselves feel in-charge or intimidating is the norm for their everyday operations.

Then if you take off for any reason, they'll threaten your employment via Text messages. Regardless if you've given them 2 weeks notice or have a Valid medical excuse. I.E Being in the hospital so forth and so on
Cons
terrible attitudes, subpar healthcare, terrible training, awful treatment of employees

Want to know more about G4S?

Ask a question
dont get the insurance
Lead Security/Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Zeeland, MIMarch 18, 2015
I love the assignment, I love everything about it. g4s however leaves everything to be desired. I was promised 90 day bonus and never saw it. My doctor said the insurance is the worst she has ever seen, please don't waste your money. I felt like I was cloak and daggered into this job and suddenly I am left standing here having no idea how to do my job (ZERO training before dumping me on the client) You need to check your pay EVERY hour and know that you are probably not getting it all. Figure taxes out because I think that's where I got the most "accidental errors". FAMILY INSUARNCE IS OVER 530.00 A MONTH. Management isn't worth a darn, if you have questions about pay or anything to with the job, you are better off googling it. I know times are hard and a job is a job, but don't expect anything. You are a number. don't get the insurance is my last repeated advice.
Pros
you get a paycheck...most of the time.
I wouldn't suggest working for the San Fernando Valley Office
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  San Fernando ValleyFebruary 14, 2015
I work at this company for about 2 years. I wouldn't suggest working in the San Fernando Valley because of management they are a joke! At my work site we would not get paid right at least once a month! You would have to wait 2 weeks to get your money you work for. Company plays favoritism for employees. The only way you see management at your work site is for them to give you negative feedback it was never positive!

If you complain to the office they wouldn't do anything! You can't complain to the HOT LINE because the management would retaliate against you and make your life miserable! I had two co workers complain and then the operations manager shows up at you site and starts harassing you! Co workers leave the company they don't last for more than a year.
Pros
paid every week and u have a job
Cons
no advancement, no raises, poor management
Not Happy, ready to move on
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhFebruary 27, 2015
If your thinking about coming to this company do your research. If you are military, x-police or retired this company will be ok for you. Im sorry i extremely hate my job site, security is supposed to be a breezy job but at my site my supervisor is an unprofessional, incompetent, army reject who dnt care about his employees, he's just an butt kisser who makes all of his employees blow steam at him everyday or do the best they can to avoid him. Alot of drama and im not talking about with your co-workers. This company or maby just the Cincinnati office dnt want to accommodate the needs of their employees and its hard to move to another site. Oh and pay checks are short probly once a month. Iv been doing security for a while and worked with other companies, and sites but only being with this company 6 months. Im done
Pros
pays bills
Cons
benefits sucks, sites sucks, supervisor sucks
I enjoy working for this company, as well as the people I work with, but the pay is on a very low scale, with raises that only come yearly.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNDecember 17, 2013
A typical day at work for me is coming in and performing whatever duties are involved in the post I'm covering. I've learned all post affiliated with this job and enjoy working them all. I have no difficulty with co-workers or management. They expect great job performance with integrity and I do the best I can to perform my job duties accurately and to the satisfaction of my superiors. The hardest part of my job I would say is performing some inspections as they are in locations throughout this facility that are difficult to manuver in and difficult to find, but all in all, I have had no difficulty with performing any job I've been given.
Pros
i enjoy job and people i work with. also enjoy the environment.
Cons
not enough money and raises are very far apart.
Long hours and tedious and monotonous
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHApril 1, 2014
A typical day at the contract I work consist of driving around checking building that are closed and making sure entrances and exits are locked and secured. I have learned basic security programs and how to properly type up reports for incidents. Management here is not very loyal to their own contract. Considering there is in house security and contract security our project manager for this contract would rather throw us under the bus to save the contract then stick up for his own officers that didn't do anything wrong. My co-workers are generally nice but there are always a bad few in such a big group.

The hardest part of the job is the repitition of driving to the same buildings and checking the same doors all week with no change in pace. I enjoyed the pay for this type of job it is considerably high for the job that I do.
A long review about an unusual corporate security venue
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILSeptember 3, 2014
My resume has been accurate and it is a synopsis of my career in security. I focused specifically on one site that occurred from September, 2011 to late September, 2013. I believe in self growth and promotion and these changes were very apparent. Thank you for giving me this opportunity. It was a multicultural environment and I learned about several far-reaching anomalies during my tenure.
The management was very accepting of security there but at times they ventured to put us in our place to let us believe that we can't stray too far ahead. The hardest part of the job was the endless hours I spend commuting back and forth. The most enjoyable part of the job was the realization that I could work security.
Pros
accessible hours
Cons
low pay, long commutes and many hours of attending ot an empty site
Terrible work enviroment, union, and management
Armed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Radford, VAApril 22, 2015
Go in at a certain time but never know if you will leave on time. Co workers are full of drama. Rules only apply to the ones who are not in with management. Management only cares if positions are fill. not if employees are ok mentally and physically. Management could care less whether you get 8 hours of sleep before next shift. Has no compassion for employees or their families. Benefits were terrible and outrageously priced. The hardest part of the job was staying awake for 8+ hours with nothing to stimulate the brain. No electronics were allowed and even got in trouble for reading at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people who work inside the plant. They tried to make sure the guards were taken care of.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
No breaks. Poor Healthcare, Unpredictable hours and schedules
Do Not Work For G4S Lake Academy
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 21, 2015
G4S does not pay well at all. I was working at Lake Academy with at risk youth. First off they only started us off with 8.25 an hour and you don't get any raises at all. They don't tell you that when you get hired. 4 days out of the week you will get stuck at work.... Yeah 16 hour shifts all the time and they don't want to pay you for the overtime. G4S is always always short staff I was always on the unit by myself with 20 mental health at risk youth. so of course short staff there will be fights breaking out or someone trying to harm themselves. How can a staff get written up or blamed when something goes wrong? you can call a code and no one will come. G4S needs to pay better for one, get and keep staff, and retrain the whole company. You can forget about a break because you wont get one but they will still deduct the hour a day from your pay. SMH
Only apply if you're older with no other priorities
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIDecember 27, 2014
I only worked with this company for two short months before I was laid off. I hated working for this company due to many unwritten rules and unorganization. You will also be forced into over time without prior notification, in which, especially over the weekend employees would not even come into work to work their designated shift. If you have other priorities such as children, doctor's appointments, going to school and what have, this is not the job for you because they do not care about your outside life. If you do not work the mandatory over time you could be forced to be written up or fired. There is also a point system guideline there which is ridiculous.
Pros
free luches every once in a while, work by yourself in your own vehicle
Cons
mandatory over time, short lunches, not that many breaks
Security Officer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 26, 2015
Responsible for the access and egress of the public to restricted areas. Daily monitoring of restricted areas for safety compliance. Prepare written and oral reports of resolution on any problems encountered. Provide assistance to emergency requests from hospital staff on persons with violent, unruly or disruptive behavior in compliance with safety procedures. Provide information to public on medical facilities, areas of special needs and restricted areas. Perform Shift Supervisor duties as required. Duties: Upon report, receive shift supervisor information on incidents, BOLO’s, safety inspections and other security related reports, such as area’s requiring additional screening or patrol.Provide perimeter surveillance on routine and special patrols in facility.