G4S Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,465 reviews matching the search
Not a bad job, BUT
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2015
I worked here for almost a year before I hit my limit of what I could take. Working a contract was a day to day experience. Co-workers were great but management was Iffy at most. Supervisors seemed to only care about themselves and if you wanted time off for a holiday. You better hope that your days off fell on that day or it wasn't going to happen. Of course I cant prove it, but my feeling is that the supervisors and managers that appear on site were racist. In the 9 months I worked here I watched every single race that wasn't the supervisors either get fired or quit. Getting fired was easy, just do something that the supervisor/manager thought was wrong. No first warning or written warning.. Just Fired on the spot.
Pros
Quality Training
Cons
Management is So So
Eh
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILNovember 17, 2015
My Account manager wasnt the greatest which made my expierence not so great and there was no regular raises which was terrible
Helping people
Patrol Security officer (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 21, 2015
Very organized, encourage for advancement,
good tier program,good management,good benefits,
excellent training, good benefits
G4S Wisconsin
Customs Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WISeptember 9, 2015
At this time, I have nothing to say other than having better benefits, incentives and rewards for staying as an employee. Especially when it comes to raises. The turn over rate is high and there is no room for advancement period.
Pros
Exercise, interpersonal communications skills, security background, firearms training
Cons
benefits, raises, hourly wage
Productive Ok Place
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 23, 2015
it is a good place to work if you have a flexible schedule. Pay is ok and i like my Job. if you looking for a good Job with benefits. this might be Job your lookinng for
Horrible
Upscale Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDSeptember 22, 2015
They dont care about theyre employee. they hire you for a site and you may not work at that site period. Just a Joke. if you need work take the job but if youre looking to move up in the company. find somewhere else to go.
Pros
Cons
No benefits, Vacation time, will still your money, and management just lied cant be trusted
Great Job Bad Management and Growth Potential
Traditional Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 24, 2016
Loved what I did and even was hoping to get moved up in the company, Everyone I had worked with had been with the company since G4S had won the bid for GM and were grandfathered into the union. I came in and was laid off prior to my 90 days and getting into the Security Union at a GM site. No reason was given. Had to transfer to a non union/GM site and none were available at the time unless I wanted to drive over an hour. I had applied for unemployment and was awarded it and after almost 2 years they contested my unemployment. And currently working through that battle with Unemployment and fighting it. Again it was a great job and I enjoyed what I did, was sad to see how the system works in this company at this given location/site.
Pros
Work Environment, co-workers, pay
Cons
It's a fair company but needs to take care of its employees better
CPO (Current Employee) –  Belleville, NJNovember 24, 2015
They are not completely accurate when they speak about employee benefits. They also need some work on s=communications.
Terrible Leadership Skills
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AL DCHMay 27, 2016
On a day to day basis I would walk the hospitals and make sure it is safe and secure. Had to take reports of of different incidents that may have occurred. Loved my co-workers. Morale was low because it seemed as if you we getting yelled at for doing your job. Example: We'd get a call from the staff about something. So we'd investigate. Once the investigation was completed we'd have to type up the report. Well while typing up the report the team leader of that shift may ask you to go and retrieve some more info like someone's name. Well as soon as you return with that info and pass it a long. The phone would go off. The supervisor is yelling at you telling you how you abandoned your post. You'd try to explain the situation, but there's no hearing that. When all he had to do was play the camera back 15secs and they'd see you just walked up.
Regular work day with nice coworkers
Security Operations Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2016
A typical day just depends on emergencies or what's going on in the plant. It can go to calm to hectic quick dependinig on situation but always have to be prepared. Co-works are nice and easygoing. The most enjoying part of job is work schedule, before you know your off days are here but it depends on what your working. Hardest part of the job is always being prepared for the unpredictable and handling your duties and emergencies accordingly to keep people and yourself safe. I love challenges so that my top duty. The most enjoyable part is also working with co workers that make your day and shift go by faster and always challenging you to do better.
Pros
good work schedule and days off
Cons
Poor healthcare, little advancement
Was a good company to work for.
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 20, 2015
Had good benefits and salary, working hours fit into my life routine. I was part of the office staff and they cared about their employee. My position their was the Trainer for all New and Existing Employee. I had fun everyday in this position.
Pros
work hours
Cons
Productive and fun work place, great clients
Unarmed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  AlabamaMay 18, 2016
Typical day we monitor the surveillance videos, as well as the agents who badge in and out of the building. Conduct parking patrols and patrols inside of the building. Identify visitors and ask for appropriate documents and provide answers and escorts through the building. I learned how to handle any situation with poise and control, no matter how stressful or difficult it became. My coworkers were the best teachers I have ever had. The hardest part was working the 3rd shift, tends to be a lot slower and harder to stay awake during those hours. The best part of the job was getting to meet a lot of great people and building that trust with our agents.
Pros
Cafeteria in the building, market place to buy snacks without leaving the building.
Cons
short breaks, working weekends, and the cutting of hours.
Good Company to work for
Unarmed security officer (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJune 8, 2016
This is a good company to work for with good job security. You get to meet different people and see different posts. Not much advancement once you reach the pay cap though and there is a wide pay differential between post. You could be working at one post making a good bit above min wage and then be moved to a different post were you are scraping to get by. Pay is based on how much the client is willing to pay for you. Patient management in the local office takes employee complaints seriously and listens to your problems. Always opportunities for overtime if willing to work.
Pros
Good work/ life balance, opportunities for overtime
Cons
Wide pay differential between posts, low possibility for advancement once pay cap reached.
Great for hours
Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75207May 25, 2016
G4S is overall a solid company. It is not difficult to apply, the training material lasts a week and is not difficult, and the pay is competative for the base level jobs.
They do have lots of programs to help you advance, but they do not have that many jobs available once you become certified. (they will let you get security level 3 and 4 trained but you may spend up to a year and a half waiting for a job position to open up).
They are also wonderful about giving you hours. On any given week it is not difficult to net 60+ hours, The only downside to this is the hours may not be convenient. There are a number of days where I have been 12 hours on 8 hours off, 12 hours on only to find out your relief isn't coming. Again, great for the overtime, not so good for getting quality sleep.
Pleasant work environment with a focus on professionalism.
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 9, 2015
A typical day at work includes client interaction and customer service, perimeter checks, safety evaluations, data entry, checkpoint security, surveillance equipment operation, report writing, and vehicle operation. I learned how to keep a client's location of business safe and secure. Management is very professional, and coworkers are helpful and work well together. The hardest part of the job is memorizing building layouts to efficiently complete evaluations, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the relative freedom to walk around and make sure everything is operating as per normal.
Pros
Flexible hours, overtime, decent pay
Cons
Short breaks, benefits
Says one thing does another
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 29, 2016
Promises full time but only signs flex officers, states that they will pay you one rate but pays you a lower rate. management is terrible and quick attrition rate
Good job, but didn't pay well.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIMay 26, 2016
A typical day consisted of walking the building, making sure there was no fights, and the building was secured. Then you would drug test or search certain clients, depending on orders. I learned to think outside the box at this job. Working with criminals you have to understand that they can hide things in places, and run stores in the most bizarre of ways. Management was always very understanding about problems the clients, and employees were having. My co-workers at G4S ranged from great guys to lazy. it all depended on who you were working with on the site at that time. The hardest part of the job was when you got to find out something was stolen or a store was being run. However this was also the most rewarding, it meant management had enough faith in you that you would be able to find the store, or the stolen property.
Pros
great work environmetn, exciting at times, gave you the sense you were helping someones future.
Cons
pay, no room to advance.
Enjoyable Workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tumon, GuamOctober 22, 2015
i enjoyed dealing with Proxy and surveilance. Great management and very flexible on hours and shifts. great part time job and great benefits
if you are all about pay check to pay check
Lead Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisFebruary 2, 2016
in their eyes you are just a warm body
turn over is high
employee concern is much lower than -1 with most account managers concerned with only one thing and that's not the health and well being of their employees.
Example : I was in charge of a mall , it was winter and in my entire working career I never injured myself on a job until this one, I fractured my fibula , called everyone that I could think of and nobody answered their phone and then I called a number I never used which connected me to Corporate Florida ( I'm from Chicago), I woke up my boss's boss's boss and after that I was called be my boss's boss and he inquired the incident by exclaiming DO YOU EXPECT ME TO PAY FOR YOUR INJURY !
And still sent no assistance !!!
5 monthes later I was laid off due to lack of work.
That was in October of 2015 ... Now after 2 years employment 2/ 2016 still seeking employment.
This company works Government contracts and is World wide.
Pros
your employed
Cons
you are employed
Terrible company
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 13, 2016
You get all the hours you want. No room for advancement. Bad pay. Not enough people to cover shifts so you work overtime. Management is unorganized. Will not call you back right away. Too much drama. Terrible training. Don't care about employees safety. Do things that don't make sense. Would not recommend unless desperate.