G4S

G4S Employer Reviews

New Worker, already with bad experiences.
Flex Officer (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 23, 2014
Pros: nice starting pay, easy work.
Cons: inconsistant hours, boring, unhelpful upper management.
Now, before I begin this review, I must stress that I have only been with the company for over a month, so my experiences thus far could always change for the better or worse. That being said, let's get to it.

I should of been suspicious when there was no interview for this job. Within 24 hours of filling out an application, I was called in and blatently – more... offered the job. being so close to falling into debt, I would of been stupid to pass this one up, so I took it. The Orientation...was a bit of a joke, just mindless droning on about the backstory of G4S, and pages upon pages of information no one, not even a professional, would remember, and it was boring to say the least. Sometime during this orientation, I was offered the Flex officer position instead of being a floater, and after I heard it was THREE dollars more on the paycheck, I accepted. Foolish me, I should of asked what the difference was.

After three days, I was sent to the location I would be working at, somwhere that was almost twenty miles away from my house no less. I was given the flash version of what I would be doing, for the Captain did not know quite how long I would be there (according to him, they were asking for months for a replacement of a worker about to quit). To this jobs credit, it is easy work. Stupidly easy, just typing in the truck trailer numbers, and watching the camera. The job itself isn't too bad, and the workers are all nice people as well as (most) of the drivers, so that is a plus.

The down fall is, that I have not had a week with more than one off day in a while. For some that might be the norm, but I was told that for the most part, forty hours would be the max, and that we could always be called on our off days. Which they have done twice, and on both times I was told the wrong time, showing up twelve hours early. I was not reimbursed, despite being on the clock, for either mistake. Also, these next two weeks I am working just(!) four hours over forty, yet the upper management decided to use a loophole on both days to not give me time and a half I legally deserved. It seems whenever I call, they either never pick up, or have a "reason" why something is occuring, yet do not own up to the mistakes, simply saying "they happen."

Now, unlike a lot of reviewers, I cannot comment on benefits, or promotions, or anything like that, as I have not been around long enough to discover them. However, my review can give warning to the ones looking at this company for a job, as a warning. It might not be the same where they are, but it was most certainly that way here. – less
Productive place to work
Youth Care Worker 1 (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMay 21, 2014
Pros: convenient with my other job
Cons: low income
My co-workers were great. Management could be better. Learned to be very observant. Hardest part of the job was dealing with youth trying to get under your skin.
A great company where you are always challenged!
General Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 19, 2014
Pros: competative salary and benefits
Cons: 65+ hours / week
G4S is a company where you will be constantly challenged. You will have ample opportunity to grow as an individual and within the company.
N/A
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 19, 2014
A nice place to work.
Good source for experience in the Security world.
Youth Care Work at G4S
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee), Bartow, FLMay 14, 2014
• Supervise and participate in various recreation programs and activities with juvenile residents
• Teach daily living activities to the juvenile residents to stimulate interest and skills needed for independent living
• Patrol various locations within the facility for the purpose of checking safety and security hazards to protect the security and safety – more... of the inmates and the facility – less
good learning experience
Security Guard (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 12, 2014
hardest part is staying awake on overnight/ graveyard shifts
Working for G4S security
TRADITIONAL SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee), SyracuseMay 11, 2014
Pros: comfy chair, good lighting, easy money
Cons: no breaks or lunch, boring alone, little interaction
I come in at 12am and get briefed from the person who did the shift before mine, they fill me in with any issues that may had happen and so on.
I then take my post and begin shift I stay at my post till around 130am and then make my foot patrols of the building.
Once back at my post I monitor the systems until around 430am for my next foot patrol. Once – more... 720am hits I do my last foot patrol and end my shift at 800am in the morning. – less
A relaxed place to work.
Security officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 6, 2014
Its a relaxed setting with little to none major problems to handle. Every so often I might have to respond to an alarm.
none existing management
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee), Jupiter, FLMay 6, 2014
Management does care about what goes on with their employees. coworkers are not the cream of the crop. my most enjoyable part of my day is when I get to go home.
Interesting Place
Security Officer (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSMay 5, 2014
Cons: healthcare, benifits, vacations
I am not one to speak bad about anyone. I hate to write this even as I am. There is no hope for advancement in this company unless you have military experience. You also have to deal with other employees not showing up for work. Disciplinary action is never taken on them. If they find you are willing to work they will work you to death.
Enjoyable workplace
Apprentice Security Officer (Former Employee), Fargo, NDMay 5, 2014
Pros: good hours for a college student
Cons: no breaks, little advancement
Sit at a gate and watch activity.
Management was okay for the 2nd year i worked there, very limited opportunities about advancing in the company. Pay was alright could be a little more but that depends on the client.
Poor maangement, lousy work hours, poor scheduling by operations manager
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee), Reno, NevadaMay 3, 2014
Pros: good co workers
Cons: lousy management, poor scheduling, long work hours in exces of 60 hours a week
This is not a good company to work for as the management treats you poorly, does not answer their phone or return calls, no job security, heaven help you if you dare to cross management and actually speak up for yourself in regards to the way you are treated, scheduling is a joke better plan on working 12 hour shifts most of the time due to the operations – more... manager lack of responsible scheduling since she has to have her hands in everything so she can pull officers to work other accounts such as the bank because she is short staffed and the management is a joke you cannot speak up to your immediate supervisor because they are afraid of the operations manager and what she will do in retaliation. Co workers do not pull their fair share . I had high hopes and expected more from this company and when I dared to cross the operations manager I was retaliated against . I worked with some great individuals and some not so great individuals and the culture surrounding G4S is one of do not make waves because you will get retaliated against by not only the local management but corporate management as well. Everything I have said is true and I would not recommend this company to anyone especially if you are female. – less
You learn to love your life and forgive
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 3, 2014
ethics is not something that they push on you have employees sleeping with employees in the building. Then you have management being disrespectful and trying to get you to sleep with them. they beat and hit on the kids and when you say something you become the enemy. The best thing about the job are the kids not only do they learn from you but you learn – more... from them as well. – less
Great pay. Bad location.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Eunice, NMMay 2, 2014
Pros: salary and benefits.
Cons: location
The work isn't hard and most of the people are easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is the drive to get there.
Serve and Protect
Security Officer (Current Employee), Calhoun, GAMay 2, 2014
We are the first faces people see before entering the facility.
Barely been working there
Security Officer (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 30, 2014
Pros: paid on breaks
Cons: idk yet
It's telling me that I have to write a review, but honestly I have only worked here for three days so I don't have much to say yet. You make an alright pay to walk around and just be security.
Dante
Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Tukwila, WAApril 30, 2014
just sit around and secure buildings all day
the cow workers were alright
the hardest part was standing all day
Job, yes. Carrer? Not so much.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAApril 29, 2014
Pros: great for students, retirees, former law enforcement...really depends on the post and onsite and office management
Cons: poor management, website for internal applicants is a joke, no more medical benefits, self-directed 401k
I've been with G4S since October 2010. Granted, it's not a great deal of time, but I've witnessed things that the (supposed) world's second largest private employer should find cringe-worthy.

My first assignment was a graveyard post for a water treatment plant in Orange County, CA. Patrolled the facilities on foot and by truck, walked through office – more... areas and made sure lights and coffee makers were off and that doors were secure. Only had a couple instances where equipment was left running, but I'd notify on-site staff (most of them didn't seem to care, but there were a couple good people there). I enjoyed the autonomy of knowing what I had to do and not have some middle-manager hovering over you. As long as you did the prescribed patrol and logged the appropriate mileage on the truck (badge scans and truck mileage were our "watchclocks"), you were good. G4S lost the account to Securitas; city/county entities really only care about price (so they're certainly getting what they paid for). I'd ask my post commander about advancement (as I have a degree and should have been hired on as a CPO) but he told me I had to "pay my dues". I was the new guy so I kept my mouth shut.

Second assignment was with a satellite broadcast center; again, physical patrols but entirely on foot. We had other guards on post, so we rotated assignments every hour or so (so we'd cover each others lunch and switch out). At this post I had a more personable post commander that told me "you have to call and bug the office weekly" if you wanted to get promoted or a new site. I had to take a management-level course to qualify for the CPO exam; with the exception of the test format and a handful of questions, the tests were virtually identical and easily passed with a week's worth (5-7 hours) or study. I also had to use four vacation days (we only get five a year) to be able to go to the office and take the CPO course. I also got passed over for a promotion for a shift supervisor position; I had an interview scheduled but the client interviewed and hired an "outsider". I can see if the client wanted someone that didn't know or have any rapport with guards on another shift (they were mainly students and passed time playing on laptops or doing schoolwork), but it would have been nice if the client just said "We want to go with someone outside the site" but they didn't. I was informed to tell the office about this and the account manager thought it was a load of bovine excrement and scheduled me an interview at the clients corporate location.

Third assignment was the corporate office of the satellite provider, working in their control center. Sat for the duration of shift, monitoring a wall of security cameras, fielding calls, performing remote unlocks and conducting video surveillance. The challenge was going from a strictly "beat job" to a "desk job" and the rotating hours (two dayshifts, two swingshifts, and a graveyard) made any kind of social life (or sleep) difficult. They did have another guard leave, so I ended up working swing shift with a couple midweek days off, so that was much better. I ended up getting removed from the post as I allegedly used "inappropriate language" over the telephone; one of our "kid" guards used profanity over the radio (FCC reg) and I had him call a landline and told him you can't swear on the radio. My supervisor couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me, so I found out from office management instead, but they seemed to understand my situation.

Fourth assignment was as a "rover", which is really no fun. I've been a temp in the past and there's really nothing worse than making $10/hour and you have no clue what your schedule is going to be week to week. Was generally only working 20-25 hours/week, as there seemed to be some sort of pecking order (rovers with more seniority get more hours) and one of the field supervisors made a scheduling error, so I had to report to a post 50 miles away on a Friday night (about 1hr15 travel time to the site) watching a construction site. Calling into the client's dispatch line hourly was the only real action and having to work graveyard on Christmas and New Year wasn't fun.

Currently I'm at a warehouse with a 20min commute. I conduct patrols and assist the client with customers. At least it's a CPO post and I can finally justify the expense of maintaining my firearm permit (G4S actually issues you a weapon, but most people have to amend their credentials to carry a .38....a bit odd but that's G4S for you). So it's indoors/outdoors with something different to do every hour, so you're constantly engaged (getting the nods in a dark control room isn't fun and coffee wasn't an option as we could only take restroom breaks during lunch or slow hours). The former post commander (who wore captain bars, but wasn't a captain) would monopolize hours (if the client was on a short production schedule he'd assign himself 40 hours and I'd get 20-25). When I suggested that we split hours when it was slow, he looked at me like I was crazy. I also had one instance were I was ten minutes late for work (I called ahead and left him a voicemail) because I had a close friend pass away suddenly; he pulled me aside and gave me the whole "you need to arrive on time" speech (he obviously didn't review my message) and when I apologized and mentioned that my friend passed away, he didn't care. As karma would have it, the corporate office of the client had the officer removed, so I'm the current post commander (without captain/lieutenant insignia...that guy was a joke). The downside with this post is that the hours are inconsistent (client needs and all that) and G4S management has told me "you can't take all your vacation days all at once" (sorry...if I'm entitled to five days and I want to take a trip...I can't?). They also have a hard time finding guards to stand post if one of us needs to take time off; I've had a couple declined vacation requests and the other guard had to constantly "bug" management to get his leave of absence for the birth of his child. According to one of the field supervisors (my first post commander, actually), this post is a CPO post, so only CPOs can cover it (but some CPOs don't have the armed certification). So I have the option of accruing vacation days and burning them on holidays we don't work (client observes nine major holidays, but it closed and no guards are needed) or saving them (and I've gotten the runaround from management to HR on how many hours I have used/accumulated).

If you made it this far, congratulations. That's three and a half years of G4S work..now for the good stuff...

Pay? $10.50/hour to start. Was under the impression that if you wanted a raise, you work another post that pays more, but the satellite company client's security manager told me it's based on what the client wants to pay (so if they think you deserve a raise, you might get one). CPOs (at least in CA) are $13-14/hour, depending on the post. If you have LEO, corrections or military experience (the ever famous "combat arms" that G4S wants), you might get in the $30/hour range.

Benefits? I had PPO medical with one client (just the way it's negotiated in the contract, welcome to contract security) and didn't have to pay for it, but another post had the pretty bare-bones G4S medical for $100/month (much more if you want to put dependents on it). Vision/dental are pretty nominal. Now with Obamacare, almost all line officers have to buy their own...not sure about management, however. 401K is entirely self-directed, so there's no company match (heck when I was working for a bank in 2003 I had a 5% match!)..again management might differ.

Day off, work/life balance? Really depends on the post; now my two-guard post makes it virtually impossible to get days off (let's wait until I have a medical emergency, jury summons or a death in the family and see how they handle that!). Posts with multiple guards don't seem to be subjected to this as much, as they can spread the workload. My thought is if you're entitled to days off with pay, you should take days off, with pay (I've seen guards 'burn' vacation days to get paid more, but I don't see the point).

Management? I've run across one good post commander, one good field supervisor, a decent trainer a few field supervisors that should really just retire and let me move in that position (although you're responsible for covering posts and if you can't find a guard, you get to work them). Main issue with management is communication; if you want a new post, refer to the website (which lack functionality and isn't intuitive). If you have an HR question, don't call on Mondays (that's payroll day) and be prepared to play phone tag with a couple different people as they pass you off. The phone check in system isn't usually updated correctly and sometimes you can't check in or out; if you're outside the 5-minute window and check out early or late, expect a call from a field supervisor. Last week my guard checked out five minutes early (under client direction; if they leave early, my guard leaves with them) and the field supervisor told me to make sure he checks in/out properly. I informed him that when the client is on a flex schedule, early check outs are to be expected (I had a handful of these when I worked second shift). My guard called the field supervisor and explained that I gave him the passdown and that he left early with the client and secured the facility; I hear the field supervisor just repeat, "Well, you need to check out in the five-minute window"...he wasn't even listening that my guard was following a CLIENT DIRECTIVE.

It's a job, not a career. Mediocre pay, poor management and lack or any real upward mobility are the real nails in G4Ss coffin. – less
productive fun work place
Security Officer- Sit (Former Employee), Bay City, TXApril 29, 2014
Pros: learning new things
Cons: have to work when very sick
it was really fun job but when the outage started had to fight threw being sick because we were under staffed but fun to meet new people and help people i learned to make badges and learn cpr and make power point slides for meetings
enjoy working with the kids
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 26, 2014
Pros: not always doing the same thing every day
Cons: lack of appreciation of what you do
Good company but more concerned about bottom line than employees. Not really any normal day when you deal with juvenile detention kids could be a variety of repairs . Hardest part of job is dealing with corporate to get funds for repairs, want miracles on small budgets. Getting to know some of the kids, they appreciate what you do for them.

About G4S

G4S is the world’s leading international security solutions group, which specialises in secure outsourcing in countries – Read more