G4S

G4S Employer Reviews

Barely been working there
Security Officer (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 30, 2014
Pros: paid on breaks
Cons: idk yet
It's telling me that I have to write a review, but honestly I have only worked here for three days so I don't have much to say yet. You make an alright pay to walk around and just be security.
Dante
Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Tukwila, WAApril 30, 2014
just sit around and secure buildings all day
the cow workers were alright
the hardest part was standing all day
Job, yes. Carrer? Not so much.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee), Anaheim, CAApril 29, 2014
Pros: great for students, retirees, former law enforcement...really depends on the post and onsite and office management
Cons: poor management, website for internal applicants is a joke, no more medical benefits, self-directed 401k
I've been with G4S since October 2010. Granted, it's not a great deal of time, but I've witnessed things that the (supposed) world's second largest private employer should find cringe-worthy.

My first assignment was a graveyard post for a water treatment plant in Orange County, CA. Patrolled the facilities on foot and by truck, walked through office – more... areas and made sure lights and coffee makers were off and that doors were secure. Only had a couple instances where equipment was left running, but I'd notify on-site staff (most of them didn't seem to care, but there were a couple good people there). I enjoyed the autonomy of knowing what I had to do and not have some middle-manager hovering over you. As long as you did the prescribed patrol and logged the appropriate mileage on the truck (badge scans and truck mileage were our "watchclocks"), you were good. G4S lost the account to Securitas; city/county entities really only care about price (so they're certainly getting what they paid for). I'd ask my post commander about advancement (as I have a degree and should have been hired on as a CPO) but he told me I had to "pay my dues". I was the new guy so I kept my mouth shut.

Second assignment was with a satellite broadcast center; again, physical patrols but entirely on foot. We had other guards on post, so we rotated assignments every hour or so (so we'd cover each others lunch and switch out). At this post I had a more personable post commander that told me "you have to call and bug the office weekly" if you wanted to get promoted or a new site. I had to take a management-level course to qualify for the CPO exam; with the exception of the test format and a handful of questions, the tests were virtually identical and easily passed with a week's worth (5-7 hours) or study. I also had to use four vacation days (we only get five a year) to be able to go to the office and take the CPO course. I also got passed over for a promotion for a shift supervisor position; I had an interview scheduled but the client interviewed and hired an "outsider". I can see if the client wanted someone that didn't know or have any rapport with guards on another shift (they were mainly students and passed time playing on laptops or doing schoolwork), but it would have been nice if the client just said "We want to go with someone outside the site" but they didn't. I was informed to tell the office about this and the account manager thought it was a load of bovine excrement and scheduled me an interview at the clients corporate location.

Third assignment was the corporate office of the satellite provider, working in their control center. Sat for the duration of shift, monitoring a wall of security cameras, fielding calls, performing remote unlocks and conducting video surveillance. The challenge was going from a strictly "beat job" to a "desk job" and the rotating hours (two dayshifts, two swingshifts, and a graveyard) made any kind of social life (or sleep) difficult. They did have another guard leave, so I ended up working swing shift with a couple midweek days off, so that was much better. I ended up getting removed from the post as I allegedly used "inappropriate language" over the telephone; one of our "kid" guards used profanity over the radio (FCC reg) and I had him call a landline and told him you can't swear on the radio. My supervisor couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me, so I found out from office management instead, but they seemed to understand my situation.

Fourth assignment was as a "rover", which is really no fun. I've been a temp in the past and there's really nothing worse than making $10/hour and you have no clue what your schedule is going to be week to week. Was generally only working 20-25 hours/week, as there seemed to be some sort of pecking order (rovers with more seniority get more hours) and one of the field supervisors made a scheduling error, so I had to report to a post 50 miles away on a Friday night (about 1hr15 travel time to the site) watching a construction site. Calling into the client's dispatch line hourly was the only real action and having to work graveyard on Christmas and New Year wasn't fun.

Currently I'm at a warehouse with a 20min commute. I conduct patrols and assist the client with customers. At least it's a CPO post and I can finally justify the expense of maintaining my firearm permit (G4S actually issues you a weapon, but most people have to amend their credentials to carry a .38....a bit odd but that's G4S for you). So it's indoors/outdoors with something different to do every hour, so you're constantly engaged (getting the nods in a dark control room isn't fun and coffee wasn't an option as we could only take restroom breaks during lunch or slow hours). The former post commander (who wore captain bars, but wasn't a captain) would monopolize hours (if the client was on a short production schedule he'd assign himself 40 hours and I'd get 20-25). When I suggested that we split hours when it was slow, he looked at me like I was crazy. I also had one instance were I was ten minutes late for work (I called ahead and left him a voicemail) because I had a close friend pass away suddenly; he pulled me aside and gave me the whole "you need to arrive on time" speech (he obviously didn't review my message) and when I apologized and mentioned that my friend passed away, he didn't care. As karma would have it, the corporate office of the client had the officer removed, so I'm the current post commander (without captain/lieutenant insignia...that guy was a joke). The downside with this post is that the hours are inconsistent (client needs and all that) and G4S management has told me "you can't take all your vacation days all at once" (sorry...if I'm entitled to five days and I want to take a trip...I can't?). They also have a hard time finding guards to stand post if one of us needs to take time off; I've had a couple declined vacation requests and the other guard had to constantly "bug" management to get his leave of absence for the birth of his child. According to one of the field supervisors (my first post commander, actually), this post is a CPO post, so only CPOs can cover it (but some CPOs don't have the armed certification). So I have the option of accruing vacation days and burning them on holidays we don't work (client observes nine major holidays, but it closed and no guards are needed) or saving them (and I've gotten the runaround from management to HR on how many hours I have used/accumulated).

If you made it this far, congratulations. That's three and a half years of G4S work..now for the good stuff...

Pay? $10.50/hour to start. Was under the impression that if you wanted a raise, you work another post that pays more, but the satellite company client's security manager told me it's based on what the client wants to pay (so if they think you deserve a raise, you might get one). CPOs (at least in CA) are $13-14/hour, depending on the post. If you have LEO, corrections or military experience (the ever famous "combat arms" that G4S wants), you might get in the $30/hour range.

Benefits? I had PPO medical with one client (just the way it's negotiated in the contract, welcome to contract security) and didn't have to pay for it, but another post had the pretty bare-bones G4S medical for $100/month (much more if you want to put dependents on it). Vision/dental are pretty nominal. Now with Obamacare, almost all line officers have to buy their own...not sure about management, however. 401K is entirely self-directed, so there's no company match (heck when I was working for a bank in 2003 I had a 5% match!)..again management might differ.

Day off, work/life balance? Really depends on the post; now my two-guard post makes it virtually impossible to get days off (let's wait until I have a medical emergency, jury summons or a death in the family and see how they handle that!). Posts with multiple guards don't seem to be subjected to this as much, as they can spread the workload. My thought is if you're entitled to days off with pay, you should take days off, with pay (I've seen guards 'burn' vacation days to get paid more, but I don't see the point).

Management? I've run across one good post commander, one good field supervisor, a decent trainer a few field supervisors that should really just retire and let me move in that position (although you're responsible for covering posts and if you can't find a guard, you get to work them). Main issue with management is communication; if you want a new post, refer to the website (which lack functionality and isn't intuitive). If you have an HR question, don't call on Mondays (that's payroll day) and be prepared to play phone tag with a couple different people as they pass you off. The phone check in system isn't usually updated correctly and sometimes you can't check in or out; if you're outside the 5-minute window and check out early or late, expect a call from a field supervisor. Last week my guard checked out five minutes early (under client direction; if they leave early, my guard leaves with them) and the field supervisor told me to make sure he checks in/out properly. I informed him that when the client is on a flex schedule, early check outs are to be expected (I had a handful of these when I worked second shift). My guard called the field supervisor and explained that I gave him the passdown and that he left early with the client and secured the facility; I hear the field supervisor just repeat, "Well, you need to check out in the five-minute window"...he wasn't even listening that my guard was following a CLIENT DIRECTIVE.

It's a job, not a career. Mediocre pay, poor management and lack or any real upward mobility are the real nails in G4Ss coffin. – less
productive fun work place
Security Officer- Sit (Former Employee), Bay City, TXApril 29, 2014
Pros: learning new things
Cons: have to work when very sick
it was really fun job but when the outage started had to fight threw being sick because we were under staffed but fun to meet new people and help people i learned to make badges and learn cpr and make power point slides for meetings
enjoy working with the kids
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 26, 2014
Pros: not always doing the same thing every day
Cons: lack of appreciation of what you do
Good company but more concerned about bottom line than employees. Not really any normal day when you deal with juvenile detention kids could be a variety of repairs . Hardest part of job is dealing with corporate to get funds for repairs, want miracles on small budgets. Getting to know some of the kids, they appreciate what you do for them.
This job has great Job security
Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee), Jenkinsville, SCApril 18, 2014
Pros: days off, and chances for overtime is available
Cons: work in different weather conditions
Great job and benefits are here, with a chance for advancement highly possible
Great company to work for
Lead Guard/Supervisor (Rank Lieutenant) (Former Employee), Monterey, CAApril 18, 2014
Pros: flexible, strong growth potential, secure work
-Management wonderful to work for
-Strong team atmosphere
-Great Pay
-Great customers
Productive workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee), Calvert City, KYApril 17, 2014
Pros: having an excellent working staff
Cons: not having better working equipment to better do our jobs with
A typical day as a security officer at Ashland Chemical is to provide security to the facility and to the employees inside the plant. I have learned many Homeland Security and OSHA regulations while working for this company and facility. I work with an excellent staff and site manager. The very much enjoy working close with the employees of Ashland – more... Chemical and with the community. – less
Very Slow
Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAApril 15, 2014
Pros: i still had a paycheck to take care of my family.
Cons: i had to go through a lot of trials.
A typical day anything could happen, co- workers could easily become enemies. I learned to keep my mouth closed when dealing with a group of people that doesn't get along. Just do my work and leave. The management was poor. I never received any stability, no justice. It was really every man for themselves. My co- workers were all troublesome. Every – more... day was something different. I tried to maintain my silence as much as possible and mind my own business, and I was tried every day. The hardest part of the job was showing up and being peaceful. the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was working alone. – less
Good Place to work if you have the right connections
ERP (Current Employee), Burlington, MAApril 15, 2014
Day today is standard. Direct management is great, Offers guidance and insight. Upper management seems aloof. Giant lack of communication with the company. No one is on the same page. Many different answers for the same question from different people. Co-works are great. Not very diverse but all very hard working and friendly individuals.
TIME CONSUMING
FIELD INVESTIGATOR (Current Employee), Rochester, NYApril 15, 2014
THIS JOB IS IS WORKED ALONE MOST OF THE TIME AND IS VERY TIME CONSUMING.
Working with at risk kids
Support Staff (Former Employee), Polk City, FLApril 11, 2014
Pros: pay not to good
Cons: working with behavior kids with attiude
• Monitored at risk kids in the facility
• Make sure all youth safe and following the guideline and rule
• Protect the youth and staff from harming each other
• Communicate with Staff and understand different color code alert
not what i expected as g4s being a big security company
Custom Protection Officer /Gatehouse/Bike Patrol (Former Employee), miamiaApril 9, 2014
Pros: free course class
Cons: no breaks no overtime no vacation
great start after college but i want more as a job. they wasn't what i expected and just a fake big company
HAVING FUN WITH THE GIRLS
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee), Stuart, FLApril 8, 2014
5MIN CHECKS,CORRECTIONAL OFFICER,DEALING WITH MENTAL HEALTH KIDS,AND JUVENILES
Hard work
Site Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Caguas, PRApril 4, 2014
It was a hard job in which it seen hard to obtain a better position
Can be great, depending on location. Stressful.
Security officer (Former Employee), OHApril 4, 2014
Pros: nice clients, good pay
Cons: strict locations, bad shifts/long hours, not willing to negotiate
I had two different locations with this job. One in Groveport, and one in Hilliard. The Groveport location, I would never recommend to anyone. The hours are long (60+ hours a week; I averaged 70), the work is tedious, you are watched like a hawk by the loss prevention guy, and they are so unbelievably strict on absolutely EVERYTHING. You will get yelled – more... at, no matter your position, and no matter how well you think you're doing your job. The Hilliard location, I loved. However, the supervisor can and will at least try to take advantage of your work availability. All the workers are nice though, and the job is easy. – less
Fun and friendly place to work
HR Background Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 3, 2014
Pros: family oriented, cared about their employees.
Security clearing employees and contractors for employment, learning the policies and procedures for utility companies. Great co-workers. The hardest part of my job was not being able to grant an individual a security clearance. Most enjoyable: knowing I have done all I can to help an individual get a job.
Long hours and tedious and monotonous
Security Officer (Current Employee), Parma, OHApril 1, 2014
A typical day at the contract I work consist of driving around checking building that are closed and making sure entrances and exits are locked and secured. I have learned basic security programs and how to properly type up reports for incidents. Management here is not very loyal to their own contract. Considering there is in house security and contract – more... security our project manager for this contract would rather throw us under the bus to save the contract then stick up for his own officers that didn't do anything wrong. My co-workers are generally nice but there are always a bad few in such a big group.

The hardest part of the job is the repitition of driving to the same buildings and checking the same doors all week with no change in pace. I enjoyed the pay for this type of job it is considerably high for the job that I do. – less
Good Company but poor management!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMarch 31, 2014
Pros: company has several methods for employees, ie online job postings, electronic reporting of problems
Cons: poor management - no development, poor training skills and customer service to employees
Management was poor! Employees often threaten with job!
The work was all about safety and following all site rules and regulations.The company has methods in place for employees but local managers do not always follow the rules.
Assisted officers in monitoring participants in a call center
Customer Service Operator (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 31, 2014
Assisted officers in monitoring participants making sure equipment is tracking correctly. Ran unexpected alcohol test over the phone for participants on house arrest also made schedules for officers to show up at participants house for trouble shooting equipment.

About G4S

G4S is the world’s leading international security solutions group, which specialises in secure outsourcing in countries – Read more