G4S Employee Reviews

Found 2,914 reviews matching the search
over worked
worker (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 15, 2016
a typical day is over worked and under paid.
management needs to share the work load
hardest part is forced over time.
work life balance does not exist
Pros
plenty of workable hours, sites
Cons
low pay, poor work life balance
productive
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 7, 2016
when i got to work at the courthouse I would start by opening the lines and checking people in by having them take everything out of their pockets, and removing their belt. if the metal detector still went off you would wand them and see what was setting it off them feel to ensure it was not a weapon. I learned to check people in fast and thoroughly and how to do thorough patrols. the management was good as well as my employees. everyone worked hard every day but the hardest part was when the people forgot they had to take there belt off before they stepped through the metal detector.
Pros
enjoyable employees
Cons
unhappy people
G4S Security
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 29, 2016
I applied with G4S as a method of expanding on my military service and because G4S is one of the top employers for military & police veterans, they hired me on the spot! I have been happily employed for a little over a month now, and it's the best career move I've made since enlistment. There are many opportunities for optional cross country deployments for big events like Presidential campaigns, but G4S wont grant it's officers company vehicles for these long distance commutes and if you don't have the money up front & are not prepared to leave at a moments notice, you'll have to miss out. The uniforms are sharp and on par with military standards, but unfortunately we don't all get issued Stetson hats. I wouldn't trade my career for anything! #G4S #ThinGreenLine
Pros
Military employer, great opportunites
productive, learning and rewarding
Upscale Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 10, 2016
The management team is awesome, and the job allows you to learn as well as take on more responsibilities. At G4S Secure Solutions many elements of the values remain relevant to the business strategy today, I felt that they could better reflect the standards I expect from G4S staff and the commitments I make to our
customers. G4S focuses on embedding these values in the processes and practices across the globe and building them into very productive manager. I perfected reports about incidents to clients and conducted patrols following standard operating procedures. I will always love and admire G4S in the utmost respect. .
Pros
free overtime
Cons
no free lunch
N/a
Security Officer GE PTO (Current Employee) –  Peebles, OH 45660August 21, 2016
Not a good place of employment. Low pay with no incentives, or raises/promotions. Unqualified/Incompetent management. On a good note very good coworkers.
great company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  cleveland, ohioNovember 26, 2016
management is fair and caring..benefits are endless. staff is extremely friendly and helpful. i loved working with them...most staff stay to retirement
Cpo
Security Officer Armed/Unarmed (Former Employee) –  ArkansasOctober 19, 2016
Not a good company if you are a free spirit can't say anything about your past to your co-worker or anything related to history. Also the management is not good.
Pros
lots of work in sites
Cons
pay and work life.
A company that doesn't care
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 31, 2016
We are understaffed horribly, treated like garbage from the client and our manager. Until recently our day to day was, interesting to say the least; we were lucky to get breaks. My co-workers aren't bad guys but there isn't enough of us to cover if one of us is sick. As far as management goes other people have had our manager show up for various reasons, but I have been employed for more than a year and have yet to see our manager on my shift.
Pros
The winter at that location is pretty slow and easy.
Cons
Short breaks, neither company cares about you, hours aren't set, and availability isn't honored
bad company
Security Adviser (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2016
dont work with them they treat ppls like slaves
they dont prove any day off to any one
they dont care if you have emergency thing
bad communications between management
Pros
no vacations
Cons
no benefits
Fast paced working enviroment
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 12, 2017
G4S was a fast paced working environment. There was always a great amount of work that needed to completed. I started there as Administrative assistant and worked my way up to Payroll Specialist. I was given many task. I was responsible for over more than 500 employees payroll. It was my responsibility to maintain the employees happy and the clients. I also was responsible for HR duties. I managed orientation, benefits, FMLA and any other type of leave that was needed.
Yeah Ummm
Upgraded Security Officer Level II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2016
Bad Posts, Un-organized payroll, 5 days off per year, no raises....it's a decent hustle but don't expect very much from this company.
Full time, consistent schedule and hours
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Tehachapi, CAAugust 29, 2016
General security work, two guards on shift 24 hours a day. First guard works entry control point at the gate while the Second did foot and vehicle patrol throughout the site.
Pros
Full time, steady schedule and hours, weekly payday, overtime was available often, paid lunch.
Cons
No raises, few advancement opportunities.
Tulsa Local Office is disorganized and unaware of the needs of clients and officers...
Director of Security (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 2, 2016
Great company to work for. Fantastic pay and benefits in the armed positions or director, Assistant Director and Supervisory positions. The best thing to do is your job to the best of your ability. Do what you're told not what is right seems to be the motto there. Too much politics are involved in those higher up positions...you'll never win that battle....steer clear if you can
Pros
Great pay and benefits as a Director, Assistant Director or Supervisor
Cons
Poor communication, dishonest or misleading at times, long hours no appreciation
Personal Motives Matter
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 25, 2017
This company can be very difficult to be employed with depending on your life situation and expectations. If you're single with no kids or family responsibilities and not enrolled in school then this company can work for you. This is not a company you want to work for if you go to school or have a family. I am telling you this as someone who worked for G4S in the Miami area.

There is no typical day of work. You get your work schedule every Sunday evening with a warning that your schedule is subject to change and trust that it will change very often especially at the last minute. A lot of schedules are double-booked leading to you or the other person being sent to another location or home. Most likely another location. Yes, the company is always short-staffed especially if you are assigned to the Publix contract. This company has an extremely high turnover rate which is great if you're looking to pile on hours. I would work anywhere between 32 hours to as much as 90 hours per week.

Most jobs require you to stand or sit for long hours with one 30 minute or two 15 minute breaks.

The company offers lots of training. You are required to do the 40 hour training for the security D license upon hire whether you have the license already or not. If you're doing armed security then you will have to take the G license course. The G license course is held at one of two locations, in Miami Dade at Tamiami or at Pembroke Range in Hallandale Beach. You go to whichever range the instructor works out of.

The hardest part of the job is managing your sleep schedule. Your phone will
  more... beep all day with e-mails and text messages consisting of schedule changes, requests for open sites, and phone calls from supervisors desperate to get someone to cover a site.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the client and meeting new people. You will work all over Miami-Dade if you get assigned to the Publix contract. Don't expect to be sent to any "upscale" neighborhood if you're assigned to Publix, because all the stores with problems are located in Richmond Heights, South Miami Heights, Liberty City, Ghoulds, Homestead, Cutler Ridge, Opa Locka, lil Haiti, and the City of Miami. You'll deal with good people as far as clients, but also a lot of real grimy scumbags.

Follow your post orders and show up to work and you should be okay most of the time. Most of your supervisors are pretty cool, but there are a few guys that get away with throwing their attitude at others. Don't bother complaining, because they will fall on deaf ears.

I think the title of my review is appropriate. If you like to call off or mess around this company is not for you. All the childish nonsense you engage in at the military should be left there and not brought into the workplace. This is another downside of the company, that due to a high turnover rate G4S can get hastily desperate and hire a lot of people with poor character. I advise those with poor work ethic or poor character to stay away and don't make other people's job harder if you're not going to be a stable and contributing employee.
Pros
High pay for security, 401K, 1 week vacation pay, Health insurance offered, 40 hours guaranteed
Cons
High turnover rate, mismanagement of schedules, lot of callouts
Great Job based Solely on the Contract.
Custom Protection Officer-Screener (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLDecember 9, 2016
Well, to accurately rate the company you must first look at the contract.

For starters, I was hired during a general On-Boarding. Which means, the company needed to fill the positions quickly due to the Contract. Basically they hired anyone that did not have criminal backgrounds. Overall, they have weeded out a lot of people that just couldn't do the job. Now, this contract seems to be well balanced with people that come from multiple different backgrounds.

EVERY Company has its problems, from management down to employees!

For me, management does its job!

My only issues have been certain people that have been hired and don't do their jobs. They cause unnecessary stress and tend to make the job sound more difficult then it seems.

For me, this is the best job I have EVER had in over 12 Years of Retail and 3 Years in Law Enforcement. I love the people I work with and the Contract is the best.

If you want Overtime, Holiday pay and a sweet paycheck, then look here.

If your life is full of DRAMA or you are a Drama person...Please Stay where you are!!
Pros
Overtime, Holiday Pay, Great Pay, No STRESS
Cons
Some people have Drama in their Lives!
G4S is an okay job to work for
Unarmed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 4, 2016
The employer does not really care about the co-worker but rather their clients. Before starting work you must go through 40 hours of unpaid (Which they do not tell you until the first day of class) training to obtain your D license and even more training if you have to register for any other licenses. Throughout these Mon-Thur 10 hour days of training, you do nothing but sit in a chair and discuss nothing important or relevant. The amount they actually teach you only takes about an hour a day and the rest of it is listening to your instructor and other students talk about total nonsense. The only good part about training is that the instructor usually gives you an hour break for lunch. Once you receive your training certificate you must drive about 30-45 minutes to the Fl Agriculture center to pick up your temporary license and then drive all the way back to the G4S Headquarters so they can verify it. The whole training process is a waste of gas so don't apply unless you can go without a weeks pay and a few tanks of gas. Once you start working they place you in a "permanent" position which may change at any time with less than a weeks notice. There is practically no benefits except a week paid vacation after working a full 365 days. The only good thing I found about working for this company is a full-time schedule, experience, and good pay.
Pros
competitive pay, experience
Cons
employee is ill-informed at most times, bad communication, management is full of themselves, no employee benefits
Management Needs Improvement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLNovember 17, 2016
My review reflects that of the department that I worked in, not the company as a whole. A typical day consists of upper management passing down there duties without recognizing your for your hard work. Management is non existent and upper management doesn't seem to care what's going on in the department that they are over. You will find it very hard to work under people who seem to be incompetent to the most basic knowledge of everyday leadership skills.
Pros
Lenient with PTO requests.
Cons
Terrible management.
It's an okay job
Courier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 21, 2016
Clock in, grab keys and radio in that you are available. Courier job was going to schedule pick places and other various call in pick ups. Various ways to drive from one end of the county to the other,learning to avoid traffic and accidents. Management was okay, some co-workers where helpfull, others not so much. Driving all day or sitting idle was not fun. Enjoyable park is clocking out and the pay.
Pros
Shift hours, pay and 401K fund.
Cons
Micromanaging
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 25, 2016
Good place to work. The work is good work. Potential for overtime if desired and lots of advancement and promotions. Sometimes the work will interfere with your life or plans but that is the nature of this type of job. Good benefits are offered here, paid vacation. health insurance etc.
Think twice before applying!!!!!
Reviewed from many employees (Former Employee) –  Amazon.com, 705 Boulder Dr, Breinigsville, PAOctober 31, 2016
Unless you are ok with working 16 hour days 5 days a week if not 7 days a week or you have no outside life and you don't mind getting only 4 hours of sleep stay away from G4S. They will know that you won't have a relief when your shift is over and won't tell you until it's your time to leave. The minutes you start your shift they will ask you to say longer. And always check your hours that you worked because some people complained that they didn't get paid for all the hours they worked. Most guards work 80+ hours a week. If you have something in your personal life that you need to do they will still try to make you stay. And don't be surprised if you get called to come in on your days off. Everything thats bad: Management, most supervisors, almost all the staff, understaffed, no sense of structure, poor schedule planning, always worrying if you're going to leave on time, there idea of a full staff is everyone working 16 hours a day five to seven days a week, if you don't check your hours every week you may work all those hours only to get paid for half of it.
Pros
Not much. The pay is ok but not enough to make you stay the long term
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.