GE Corporate Employee Reviews

Found 1,279 reviews matching the search
Flawed Leadership
Global Director of Strategic Accounts (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 12, 2017
GE has challenges at the leadership. I have worked for large companies like IBM and I understand that there is a lot of extra hurdles to execute sales. However, the challenges with having a 'start-up' like Current-the group I am part of have been difficult to overcome. In fact most of the original Sales Executive team have been let go as well as a large percentage of the work force. I think this will continue to be reduced over time.
Pros
Great Brand
Cons
Go To Market Strategy flawed
Solid company with many benefits
ERP Advanced Planning & Quality Leader - IT (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 20, 2017
The typical workday isn't too bad. Everyone is pretty smart and ambitious. It is hard to trust people, as it can be very cut-throat. Being so large, there are many different avenues to pursue career wise. There are lots of training opportunities as well. Decision making can be very slow at times. There are lots of extracurricular programs like the Veterans, Running Club, volunteer events, etc. You can be ask active or as inactive as you chose. The work life balance is pretty good for the most part. That starts to get sacrificed the higher up the ladder you climb.
Pros
education programs and volunteer events
Cons
healthcare and you are just a number
Competitive, safety oriented, enjoyable place to work
Floater, Head Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHFebruary 13, 2017
Operated and maintained production machinery
Management generally helpful, expected results from you
Learned great deal about machinery/mechanics
Made many friends with a common love of mechanical work
Hardest part of job was working under pressure (production) at times
Most enjoyable part of job was being able to make large machines run well. Also formed some lasting friendships.
Pros
Freedom to move about. Working as a team.
Not Impressed with GE
Manager (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 9, 2017
Despite all the praise that has been written in Harvard Business Journal, Fortune Magazine, etc., I have found that GE is ultimately a bunch of disjointed business units with inconsistent strategy and fragmented leadership.

GE may be the best in the world at the upper corporate level, but there is a layer below of hard-headed BU leaders who have ulterior motives.

GE can go from a great place to work to a terrible place to work just by reorganizing, which happens often.
Pros
Decent compensation. Strong hiring salaries, but weak salary growth.
Cons
Frequent reorganizations, inconsistent leadership direction, resources constrained by forces outside of business unit ability to influence
Ok place to work
Drafter (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2017
When i worked there I was a temp/contract employee. Therefore, when I completed my assignment 2months early.. i had to find something else to do..The company really liked my work so they let me help the other drafters to finish there assignments. After one month, I was out of job.. they said they would call me back when there was more assignments to finish, but I found a permanent position at different company.
Pros
$$ was good
Cons
no benefits and it was a temp job
Poor senior management team without clear strategy and vision
Lab Manager, Chemical Systems Engineering Lab (Current Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYFebruary 20, 2017
Not able to catch any big technology trends and made wrong big bets and deals on acquisition and merging, GE water, OG and Alstom. The management teams only deliver sugar-coated info and don't have the guts to invest on the technology.
Pros
broad technology portfolio and huge install base of GE machines
Cons
Poor management team, No clear strategy and vision
Large Company with the ability to carve out niche for your value
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Rotterdam, NYFebruary 1, 2017
GE is a company where there are opportunities to advance and grow. It is so large that you can talk to some people who love it and others who hate it. It is important to get into a business or technology area where your expertise is valued. Like most large companies, management decisions are made 90 days at a time (end of quarter) with very little future planning. This can become frustrating if you let it. Most of us have learned to live with it and fight another quarter.
Pros
stable, opportunity to advance or relocate w/o changing employer, compensation is good, benefits are generic
Cons
A lot of pressure to put up numbers
Typical factory work, on your feet a lot and standing in one area.
EHS Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 30, 2017
Most new employees will start in assembly, you can move around after you gain a little seniority. Fabrication was a good place to work.
Being tied to an assembly line was the most difficult although there were some people that prefered that. To each their own. Typical factory, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Seniority determines ability to advance.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits, overtime available, most people easy to get along with.
Cons
Being tied to assembly line or machine for 8 hours. Hot in summer, cold in winter.
Good place to work, was always treated fairly
Spotter Driver (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 15, 2017
G E was always fair to employees, work was steady, was paid weekly without fail. Employee comfort was important to company, Was trained well on the different jobs. Could learn any job you wanted. Learned to get along with all types of people. everyone is different.Learning jobs in a timely manor was always a challenge. was always nice to meet new people. My spotter driver job was my favorite. I was able to meet new people daily. Enjoyed helping the truck drivers. And helping them get back on the road as fast as possible. A great job.
Pros
breaks as needed, great pay, great insurance
Cons
on assembly line raputition
Decent place to work
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  East Flat Rock, NCJanuary 7, 2017
Spent a lot of years at GE and most of it I enjoyed. I learned how to work well with others and also individually. Some of the management was really good while others were not. I loved a lot of my co-workers and they are what I miss most about GE. The hardest part of my job was dealing with disrespectful and rude people. The most enjoyable part of my job was some of the amazing people I met while working with GE and the relationships we formed.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
short breaks
All talk but little action
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJanuary 5, 2017
It was a mistake joining GE from the leading EV car manufacturer. If you like a company that loves meetings & politics, this is the place for you. If you like to accomplish lots of daily tasks with no BS politics, GE is definitely NOT the place for individual & team accomplishments. Management in San Ramon is composed of old re-threads of Silicon Valley who are milking the company with little or no results for the stockholders.
Pros
Free drinks, beverages & coffee
Cons
Management by organized chaos
Big Company; Great Benefits; Evolving Culture
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Working for GE is a GREAT experience. The company is huge and has, seemingly, limitless resources. People definitely feel the squeeze to produce and it is truly a meritocracy. It is old school but striving to be new age. There are growing pains, but patience will be rewarded. More of a global company now than it was a year ago... and it will be more global next year.
Pros
Benefits, evolving culture, prestige, name recognition on resume
Cons
Can get lost in the shuffle
Fun exciting job but too much travel
Global Sales & Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTDecember 30, 2016
I traveled a lot while working for GE. The development program was great but there was definitely a sacrifice I had to make in order to be a part of that program. There were many management changes but overall I would recommend GE. At a big company like GE, top management is likable and cares for the company and the workers - kind of like a politician that is expected to care about constituents because that's part of the job.
A great company to work for with great reputation
Executive Receptionist and Diversified Services (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTDecember 29, 2016
GE Corporate - tough but strong company. Time management and detail were taken very serious and expectations high.
It was stressful but working with a great team made it fun - we worked very hard and loved what we accomplished. I learned the importance of commitment, integrity, teamwork and leadership.
Pros
Rewards for accomplishments
Cons
Not much flexibility
Great place to learn and grow
Machine Adjustor/Technician (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHFebruary 7, 2017
A typical work day would touch base with shift manager. Follow up with going over product changeovers, Issues with equipment down time, ect. The most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team.
The hardest part was to keep production running when parts where not available for repairs.
Pros
Good co-worker/staff
Cons
Long hours/time off with pay
Great environment to work in, flexible work schedule
L3 Network Operation consultant (Current Employee) –  111 Tri-County Pkwy Cincinnati Ohio 45246December 19, 2016
This is truly the one of the best places I've worked, Management is awesome and is willing to cover back when things go wrong, strong leadership within the company as well, nobody gets blamed for problems or issues we work together as a team, from Management to the lowest person. People are really encouraged to open minded about there ideas on certain situations. Bosses listen to there employees for a POV on any given circumstance, and sometimes will heed advice from other teams within the company. And also the strong philosophy the company always upholds, nobody gets left behind.
Pros
Working from home if needed, Management is excellent
Cons
A lot of contractors, no OT pay/benefits/pay vacations
Work is a lot of fun and I"m always improving and growing as an employee
Electronic Engineer Technician (Current Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYDecember 12, 2016
Great place to work with exposure to a lot of different kind of technology. Due to the size of the company, there's a lot of red tape and a lot of delays when trying to accomplish a gob. Specially when some projects have a greater priority due to larger contracts.
Pros
Alwasy learning and growing as an engineer
Cons
Advancement within the company is difficult with only a BS degree
great place to work loved the people like family
Machine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 9, 2016
Gave me a lit of great learning experience helped me become a mechanic through a program they had in place for people that wanted to better themselves I was able to go to school to become a mechanic. Worked on the suggestion program where I got to learn how to save the company money and get rewards for the person that came up with the idea. Great learn experience for me loved it
Pros
We all worked together like a family and we made great momey doing it.
Cons
The plant closed down and moved overseas when Nafta came into play.
enjoyable place to work for
Building meters (Former Employee) –  Somersworth N.H.December 9, 2016
The first thing we did was our team leader would give us a job to do.We would work at a punch press machine to make parts for meters..It was interesting how to see a meter built from the very beginning.Management was very good you could always talk to them if you had a problem and they would go by and smile and said hi to you . Coworkers very helpful and was fun to work with.The hardest part was when they made you go to another area to work.Testing the meters to see if they are going to pass or fail.
Pros
When the bosses would come up and say what a good job you were doing
Cons
when the company moved to Mexico
Leadership always changing. Great products and resources
Senior Lead Consultant Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 11, 2017
collaboration abound at GE. Managers often change, and never become subject matter experts. push for collaboration to fill the gaps of management changes and lack of in depth knowledge. cover key relationships with multiple angles versus deep relationships throughout customer base.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GE Corporate. Our community is ready to answer.

81%