GE Power & Water Employee Reviews

Productive and Exciting place to work
International Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 1, 2016
Typical day involves engagement on global projects and working with multi-cultural teams to achieve project milestones for shipment, installation, commissioning and handover to customer.
Great work environment
Lead Buyer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2016
It's a great place to work. You learn to deal and work as a team with Manufacturing, Planning and Engineering. There is a great environment to work. And you would need to do a lot of cross-functional activities to get the job done.
interesting job
Electrical and Control Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 6, 2016
productive, team work, interesting projects, benefits, supportive management and co-workers, learning culture, good tools and design methods, continues process improvement.
It's an OK Company
Operations Manager - Aero Services (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXJune 10, 2016
Company is constantly going through changes,not impactful changes, with each regime of managers is the worst as before.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2016
Challenging work with a unique culture. Solid teamwork with solid work-life balance. Going through some significant organizational changes due to a major acquiition.
Pros
Strong culture, high integrity
Cons
demanding work schedule with long hours
Good people
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 13, 2016
Good people to work with, executive team lacking vision. Closing the GE Power Conversion Pittsburgh facility. Jobs moving to Berlin, Germany.
Great place to work.
SENIOR R&D TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTApril 15, 2016
G.E. is a fast paced company . They make important decisions quickly instead of holding multiple meetings and countless power points.
great people to work with/bad management
Turbine tech (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 19, 2016
I enjoy coming to work everyday and working on engines. management is on your back pushing to meet needs making you feel uncomfortable. co- workers are great, very flexable work schedule.
Pros
work/home life is great can move up fast
Cons
management/unorganized
Fun Working Place
Application Senior Salesforce Architect (Current Employee) –  Boston NYJanuary 21, 2016
I don't have much negative to say, I love to work here. The people are kind and like any place there are bad days but the job security is good and the company is making many good changes.
Pros
free buffets
Cons
I work hard to adapt to change and conform to the needs of the job
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 21, 2015
My schedule was a bit unknown at times as I had to respond to emergency calls. I am nuclear certified, and take pride in my work. The Job description classified me as a Field Service Representative but I was considered a Hybrid. The position that I applied for was a Field Service Representative for Mobile site operations and data analysis. I was transitioned into the Beverage side and spent several weeks away from home. I have a Wife and 3 young kids so time away from home can be difficult on the home front. The up side to travel is that I'm use to it and can easily adapt if needed.
Pros
Strong Technical awareness and Analytical skills
Cons
I would like to be home more than once a month
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIDecember 16, 2015
I loved working there unfortunately they are closing boss where good benefits are great people are great just cant move to Canada
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
there closing
Life at GE
Co-founder/VP of Thin Film Equipment (Former Employee) –  Arvada, CODecember 11, 2015
GE invested in our company and then later bought the company. Our initial team was assimilated into the GE system which was, at times, challenging. GE has a lot of rules, procedures, and GE speak that took some time to get used to. I appreciated the challenges, however in running such a huge corporation. Do you teach all of your employees Six Sigma, or only a certain group?

The GE management team was tough but always fair.
Pros
Great research capabilities.
Cons
So big it slows you down.
New Company
Project Controller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 8, 2015
Since 11/02/2015, Alstom Power became part of GE. With this alliance, the new GE power segment is now GE Power. Overall, I think that it has been a good transition. Now I'm just learning about this new company.
Productive and exciting place to work.
Regeneration Operator (Former Employee) –  Pico Rivera, CAOctober 30, 2015
There is always work, and the co-workers are friendly. The hardest part of the job is getting used to moving the heavy tanks from one place to another without a hand truck. Once you're used to it, it becomes really easy. The place is very safety oriented, and the workers are very helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you reach the end of the shift, and realize how much you were able to accomplish within 8 hours.
Pros
You can listen to music while you work.
Great Co workers
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PA (however I was remote)October 20, 2015
Was allowed to work with great people from home. There was a lot of different day to day task. Customer and sales reps were very good to work with.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Not in office
Big company operating in nich market areas, with overall good market share, and stable balance sheet. May be a good place for starters.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, scOctober 18, 2015
Big company operating in nich market areas, with overall good market share, and stable balance sheet. Eight layers of management with 300000+ , however it still keeps buying out its competitors. Values experience but does not have a good system to measure it. Dominated by few groups like Aviation, Pratt Whitney, Rolls Royce, university alumni and other groups. Offers a good starting salary but later average 1-2% yearly increase. Healthcare benefits require 3000$ out of pocket before they start. Monthly health insurance payments are high. One has to carry a long list of approved prescription list to their doctor or risk paying the unauthorized prescription .

Has 401K but it is limited to company stock and investment options.

May be a good place for starters but not very good for mid career professionals.
Pros
Long lead time business. Affected less from market fluctiations.
Cons
Sluggish, very slow to react to global changes
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
User Experience Developer (Current Employee) –  san ramonOctober 15, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Friendly and enjoyable work environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 26, 2015
GE Power and Water have a very friendly working environment..
I been working for 17 years and my two year at GE was the most enjoyable.
Pros
excellent compensation
Big Company - Big Opportunities
Product Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington NCAugust 18, 2015
The breadth and depth of the GE work place allows employees to participate in business at any level for which they can qualify and perform the work. No limits on growth and opportunity.
Pros
Global Organization with multiple career fields to choose.
Cons
Sometimes hard to understand what is driving the current business goals
Productive work environment
Techno Functional SCM Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 30, 2015
Productive work environment helps to gain domain knowledge with fun at work. Recognition and appreciation are the best part working here.