GE Power & Water

GE Power & Water Employee Reviews

Fun Working Place
Application Senior Salesforce Architect (Current Employee) –  Boston NYJanuary 21, 2016
I don't have much negative to say, I love to work here. The people are kind and like any place there are bad days but the job security is good and the company is making many good changes.
Pros
free buffets
Cons
I work hard to adapt to change and conform to the needs of the job
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 21, 2015
My schedule was a bit unknown at times as I had to respond to emergency calls. I am nuclear certified, and take pride in my work. The Job description classified me as a Field Service Representative but I was considered a Hybrid. The position that I applied for was a Field Service Representative for Mobile site operations and data analysis. I was transitioned into the Beverage side and spent several weeks away from home. I have a Wife and 3 young kids so time away from home can be difficult on the home front. The up side to travel is that I'm use to it and can easily adapt if needed.
Pros
Strong Technical awareness and Analytical skills
Cons
I would like to be home more than once a month
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIDecember 16, 2015
I loved working there unfortunately they are closing boss where good benefits are great people are great just cant move to Canada
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
there closing
Productive and exciting place to work.
Regeneration Operator (Former Employee) –  Pico Rivera, CAOctober 30, 2015
There is always work, and the co-workers are friendly. The hardest part of the job is getting used to moving the heavy tanks from one place to another without a hand truck. Once you're used to it, it becomes really easy. The place is very safety oriented, and the workers are very helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you reach the end of the shift, and realize how much you were able to accomplish within 8 hours.
Pros
You can listen to music while you work.
Big company operating in nich market areas, with overall good market share, and stable balance sheet. May be a good place for starters.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, scOctober 18, 2015
Big company operating in nich market areas, with overall good market share, and stable balance sheet. Eight layers of management with 300000+ , however it still keeps buying out its competitors. Values experience but does not have a good system to measure it. Dominated by few groups like Aviation, Pratt Whitney, Rolls Royce, university alumni and other groups. Offers a good starting salary but later average 1-2% yearly increase. Healthcare benefits require 3000$ out of pocket before they start. Monthly health insurance payments are high. One has to carry a long list of approved prescription list to their doctor or risk paying the unauthorized prescription .

Has 401K but it is limited to company stock and investment options.

May be a good place for starters but not very good for mid career professionals.
Pros
Long lead time business. Affected less from market fluctiations.
Cons
Sluggish, very slow to react to global changes
busy
aligment (Former Employee) –  houston,TxJuly 8, 2015
It was fun to work around good people always busy doing my task everyday i learned alot from the easiest to hardest.It was global company making alot money..
Global Company
Inventory Analyst 6 (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 25, 2015
Current location needs to be more diverse. There is only teams that are race related and the facility I currently work. GE as a whole may not be the same as the location I work.
Pros
Global Company
Cons
Need More Diversity
Good Learning Experience
Renewables Tracking Analyst (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 25, 2015
My many contract positions started my passion in Sourcing and Logistics, as well as help build my resume. No training seemed to be the hardest part of my current position. I enjoy the work I am doing, as it is a huge responsibility. If I drop the ball, I could create a financial issue.
Pros
No micromanagement
Cons
No benefits as a contract person
Great Company
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 19, 2015
Work with great people and great atmosphere. The daily routine is to check PLM for task that are due and to start working on finishing any task due that day and the next.
Good company to work for
Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Jacinto PortDecember 3, 2014
I enjoy working at GE, Its a good company over all. This site in particular needs a little help in the areas of the people that work on the shop floor. I am ready for a new job that requires more critical thinking where I can use my skills to their fullest.
Pros
you don't have to work weekends, the work is not hard at all
Cons
the pay is not great and there is not enough over time to keep up with the cost of living.
most enjoyable part of job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2014
i enjoyed the people that worked there. the job mostly became monotonous and left no challenge as several job duties were sourced out.
Good workplace but unfair advancement
Lead Services Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2014
GE in Atlanta is a good, fair place to work for a paycheck. Unfortunately, as with most large companies, they focus too heavily on diversity instead of talent. Many positions have been awarded to people based on criteria other than experience or merit simply to pad numbers. This causes the good talent to search elsewhere, and is causing an unhealthy atmosphere to fester.
Pros
free lunch friday, located otp, great 401k
Cons
poor health insurance, bad yearly raise, too much politics
Welcome to the Boys Club..
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 7, 2014
This place is 100 lawsuits waiting to happen. I could not believe the amount of immaturity, unprofessionalism and corruption I witnessed from upper management on a day-to-day basis. This company is run by a network of good ol boys who continue to take the company down a very negative path. They have successfully cultivated a crooked culture of looking the other way when something iffy happens. Young employees are treated poorly. You are faced with the decision to put your head down and tough it out or quit.

Do not expect the Human Resource department to assist with major issues either; once you address major issues involving the good ol boys you will be targeted. And in return, the company will cover their tracks by transferring the HR folks involved to another department after they have booted you out the door for being a whistleblower.

RUN.... far away!
Pros
good pay.
Cons
the company wants to do more with less, poor health benefits, high turnover rate, and major upper management corruption.
Day in my life at GE.
Gulf Sales Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Trevose, PAAugust 5, 2014
Provide total support to Gulf Region GM, RM, ARM, AM, FSR.
Order supplies, process expense for P-Card & T&L
Setup new employee with all the necessary information and items that they need to do their jobs at GE.
Run report in SAP and Sales Portal for the reps.
Update Inventory in SAP.
Request new vendor setup, so we can issue po, checks
NC Boroscope and Flow Meter Facilitator
I also backup the NC Region & backed up the Middle Market Region.
I enjoy working and helping my co-workers. I love to multitask and keep very busy. I always offer to take on new task or projects.
Pros
i can work from home if needed.
Union stiffles real change, only drawback
Machinist/Winder (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 13, 2014
Excellent benefits, not very stressful, needs some capital investment for new equipment
Pros
plant manager trying to bring change, employee empowerment
Cons
union politics, good-ol-boy-network
Downhill after GE acquisition
assembler (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 30, 2014
After the company was acquired by GE things changed. The quality of the management, products, and services offered dropped dramatically. There was constant talk of growth as department employees were cut.
Pros
fair benefits and pay
Cons
poor products and management
Great opportunity to get global experience while sitting in a single office
Finance Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 22, 2014
I enjoy the diversity of working in a global company. Things can get complex at times, but that's what I thrive on.
Fairly high stress work environment, for the Power & Water Div
Monitoring & Diagnostic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 16, 2014
As a M & D Engineer for General Electric Energy Division, I would assist other engineers in the Monitoring & Diagnostic duties for up to 180 Gas & Steam Turbine Engines. Duties include, first & foremost, is working “trips” on units, when they come in. Evaluating Alert Watch units. Both of which are top priorities. Also, looking for anomaly’s, which would include Combustion Shifts, Vibration changes, Failed Sensors, etc. that violate GE’s Process Map criteria and could possibly lead to a costlier shutdown of the turbine if left undetected. If anomaly is found, we would call the site and speak to the Control Room Operator and if possible the CPM-Contract Performance Manager. If the issue requires immediate action, a case is created noting time of the event and the overall characteristics of the turbine and what action needs to be taken to correct the problem. Once resolution is issued and corrected, the case is then closed. Currently, working with the New Performance team, to establish new guidelines for anomaly detection on Performance, Balance of Plant and Bonus LD. Also, trained new contractors for the department. Computer software used – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, etc.
Pros
worked 7 - 3. ocassional free lunches and events
Cons
rising healthcare. worked 1 weekend day in weekly schedule.
Great Company, High Energy
Communications Leader, Power Generation (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2014
Working for GE Power & Water has been a great experience. They move fast, expect a lot, but provide great opportunities for senior leadership exposure and work/life balance.
GE Energy
Executive Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2014
I love working for GE. I would love to stay with the company but due to moving, I am looking elsewhere