GE Power & Water

GE Power & Water Employer Reviews

Union stiffles real change, only drawback
Machinist/Winder (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 13, 2014
Pros: plant manager trying to bring change, employee empowerment
Cons: union politics, good-ol-boy-network
Excellent benefits, not very stressful, needs some capital investment for new equipment
Downhill after GE acquisition
assembler (Former Employee), Boulder, COApril 30, 2014
Pros: fair benefits and pay
Cons: poor products and management
After the company was acquired by GE things changed. The quality of the management, products, and services offered dropped dramatically. There was constant talk of growth as department employees were cut.
Great opportunity to get global experience while sitting in a single office
Finance Project Manager (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYApril 22, 2014
I enjoy the diversity of working in a global company. Things can get complex at times, but that's what I thrive on.
Fairly high stress work environment, for the Power & Water Div
Monitoring & Diagnostic Engineer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 16, 2014
Pros: worked 7 - 3. ocassional free lunches and events
Cons: rising healthcare. worked 1 weekend day in weekly schedule.
As a M & D Engineer for General Electric Energy Division, I would assist other engineers in the Monitoring & Diagnostic duties for up to 180 Gas & Steam Turbine Engines. Duties include, first & foremost, is working “trips” on units, when they come in. Evaluating Alert Watch units. Both of which are top priorities. Also, looking for anomaly’s, which – more... would include Combustion Shifts, Vibration changes, Failed Sensors, etc. that violate GE’s Process Map criteria and could possibly lead to a costlier shutdown of the turbine if left undetected. If anomaly is found, we would call the site and speak to the Control Room Operator and if possible the CPM-Contract Performance Manager. If the issue requires immediate action, a case is created noting time of the event and the overall characteristics of the turbine and what action needs to be taken to correct the problem. Once resolution is issued and corrected, the case is then closed. Currently, working with the New Performance team, to establish new guidelines for anomaly detection on Performance, Balance of Plant and Bonus LD. Also, trained new contractors for the department. Computer software used – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, etc. – less
Great Company, High Energy
Communications Leader, Power Generation (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2014
Working for GE Power & Water has been a great experience. They move fast, expect a lot, but provide great opportunities for senior leadership exposure and work/life balance.
GE Energy
Executive Administrator (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 17, 2014
I love working for GE. I would love to stay with the company but due to moving, I am looking elsewhere
Lots of good people to work with.
Solar Technician II (Process Engineer Technician) (Current Employee), arvada ,coJanuary 3, 2014
Work was very fun. A nice friendly environment to walk into on a daily basis.
Manufacturing work environment
Application Engineer (Current Employee), Greenville, SCNovember 23, 2013
GE Power and water is a great place to work especialy at the Repair development Center in Greenville,SC. We always have new technologies being tested and new repair processes being developed. There is always someting new to learn.
Mostly great
Wind Technician II (Current Employee), Ellsworth, KSNovember 11, 2013
Rewarding work, great crew and great management at my wind farm. Though, I have work a few 80 hour weeks but mostly averaging about 50-60 hour weeks = great pay. Just spend more time at work than I do at home. Overall a great, stable company to work for.
Long working days but with a lot of succeess stories.
Accounts Manager (Former Employee), Puerto Rico and Dominican RepublicOctober 30, 2013
Pros: company car and expenses account
Cons: extremely long working days and frequency
I typically worked 10-12 hours/day. During my career with GE I applied the knowledge and experience acquired during my previous employments. Unfortunately, change in the organization did not consider the customers needs. Eventually the division where I working for have decline in Sales revenue over the last 3 years. My peers and subordinate always worked – more... as a team and our customer loved the service and the performance of the my group.

The hardest part of the job was the work/life balance because of the administrative work requirement increase exponentially because our management was trying to manage the business without contacting the customer.

The most enjoyable part was the satisfaction of solving customer process problems within a win-win environment and the development of the water and process treatment market share in the Dominican Republic in the Power, Pharmaceutical, HPI and Mining industry sector. – less
The Honeymoon was over FAST
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, New Plants Projects (Former Employee), WilmingtonOctober 23, 2013
Pros: great salary, great benefits, good software tools, laptops, headphones and blackberries issued quickly
Cons: constant barrage of emails from corporate that may not pertain to your job, cumbersome and bureaucratic, highly-competitive creating distrust amongst colleagues
I was so excited to become part of a large corporation like GE but I soon realized that it was like a huge machine, and I was just a number. Although I value GE's commitment to integrity, I was overwhelmed with the amount of training and GE marketing information that hits the inbox what seemed like daily. The training requirements were hard to maintain – more... because an employee must quickly learn not only what their job entails, but what GE the corporation requires. Although the company had great benefits, the day-to-day expectations and highly competitive nature within the company made for an environment where I felt like anyone would take the first opportunity to turn someone in or stab someone in the back, just to be recognized among the masses.

In many ways it felt like the Borg....As long as you did exactly what the corporation expected and blended in, you are fine.

Job transfer and advancement limited - When I realized that my job description didn't match what I was expected to do, I tried to relocate (I am a mid-level manager with 20+ years of experience) but was told that I needed to complete 2 years in my present position before I could move. Ironically after that 2 years, this sector of GE (nuclear) went through a large layoff, and I would have been one of the ones let go had I not already found another position and gave my notice. I learned the day I gave my notice that once you quit this large corporation, they turn their back on you and terminate your benefits effective midnight that night. They did not award any severance pay even though my name was on the layoff list, but because I handed in my notice, they zero'd out my already determined severance. When I tried to contact the ombudsman, they acted like I never worked there and didn't take the time to talk to me at all. HR wouldn't even return my calls. This company expects loyalty, but does not give it in return.

As a final observiation: there seemed to be a lot of waste in this sector of GE; too many people, not enough direction, too many drawn out or not well-defined processes. I know personally of one female manager who sued (and won) the company for illegal practices. Oddly, no one was informed about this and for the year the employee was out, no one would discuss why she was gone and what was going on. GE's communication seemed to be very good when it was blowing its own horn; not so much communication when there was a whistle being blown.

My 2 years with this company was frustrating and confusing because I am not a slacker and am typically a top-performer, until I met GE.

I am only able to write about this now because I am a manager in a smaller company now that I feel valued, and most off, that I am making a significant contribution to my company's success. The CEO knows my name and I have been given recognition and awards with this 200+ employee company so I'm not a slacker.

I am grateful to have had the experience to get the Lean Six Sigma training with this company, but I would caution anyone else that if your job satisfaction involves being appreciated and feeling like you really make a difference, you will not find it at this company unless you make it into the elite circle of managers. And play golf. – less
Great place to start your career
Generator Product Service Engineer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2013
There are lots or learning opportunities here. They have many programs available to further your technical careers. There are also many options within GE to move around during your career.
Learning environment great place to work
Office Administrator (Current Employee), Greenville, SCAugust 27, 2013
Pros: gym
Cons: none i know of
Each and every day is a new learning experience using state of the art technology. The management staff is very mature thinking.
The company offers great opportunities.
Highly technology of manfacturing Gas Turbine. Maintains all data and information of every turbine and its events. And uses wide veriety of tools.
Product Safety Tools and Metrics Engineer (Former Employee), Greenville, SCAugust 27, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours and very good manger
Cons: less office desks
I learnt different process they follow for the product line and managing Data also tools. Worked individually and in a big team with no or less supervision. Enjoyed every part of my work with out getting stressed out.
Great company
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Stuart, FLJuly 2, 2013
Heat Recovery Solutions is a division with great potential. Their product could literally change the energy race for several companies and industries.
O&M Deopt. in wind power
Field Service Technician (Current Employee), KaradFebruary 9, 2014
Here i m field service technician in O & M, its wonderful experience in this organisation.
Fun at work
Q.C. Specialist (Former Employee), Oakville, Ont.December 4, 2013
I learned a lot thru my first QA Manager.
Management was a four.
Liked to work with my co-workers. We respected each other.
To get information in time.
When the project was done with out any problems.
Doing in-house inspection.
Making material record books.
good place for learning!
mechanical maintenance technician co-ordinator (Current Employee), Veresegyház, PEOctober 31, 2013
safety- first
12-hour work a day
good carrier possibility
good co-workers
EMPRESA AGRADÁVEL DE TRABALHAR, COM DINÂMICA EXCELENTE
ADMINISTRATIVO (Former Employee), Araraquara, SPJuly 21, 2013
Pros: fornecia vale-refeição
EMPRESA AGRADÁVEL DE TRABALHAR, OFERECIA CURSOS E TREINAMENTOS, HAVIA BOM RELACIONAMENTO ENTRE GERÊNCIA E COLEGAS DE TRABALHO, EMPRESA PONTUAL E RESPONSÁVEL.

About GE Power & Water

GE Power & Water provides customers with a broad array of power generation, energy delivery and water process technologies – Read more

GE Power & Water Photos