GE Transportation Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Lead Engineer - Systems Engineering (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2017
Great building, there is a lot of growth happening here. Management needs to be more involved in the engineering process. I like that fact that the company in going over into the software space.
Find work somewhere else.
Lead Planning & Execution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 23, 2017
GE Transportation develops college grads in a "OMLP program" .
Leaders assign unreasonable tasks combining jobs that forces them into very long hours. A good example is an OMLP worked 25 hours to cover an understaffed department. I just went thru a "workforce reduction". In the last 12 months 5 people just come off program. The five of us that were cut were between 55 - 65.
Pros
money
Cons
long hours, terrible senior leadership
Friendly Work Place
Material Controller I (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 22, 2017
Overall, GE Transportation is a great place to work. Safety is of paramount importance in this environment. I have learned how to run cranes, operate washers, requalify parts, ship engines and many other responsibilities. The hardest part of the job is getting to work (54 miles). The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that work there
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Short breaks
Competitive fast-pace environment
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 22, 2017
Typical week completing outlined deliverables. I have had several different managers. My most recent manager was amazing at pulling together a team full of experience and expertise. He was great at keeping his teams together and cross training. Workplace culture is team motivated and always a learning environment. The hardest part of my job was quarter/year end financial close.
Pros
Team building events/summer hours
Cons
healthcare
Nice Workplace
Technical Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 19, 2017
It was a balanced life and nice workplace to be at. I enjoyed my time with some good learning as well. They offer nice work from home as well. Overall nice experience
cut thoart
coilwinder (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 14, 2017
co workers are beyond greedy, this is not a secure place of employment. always laying off workers and management. work environment is extremely stressful
GE Oil & Gas
Sr Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 6, 2017
 Inherited a severely troubled $8M initiative that was over budget and over schedule.
 Revived project’s health using Agile methodology and cultivated deeper business commitment.
 Delivered project with only a $10K variance, despite serious initial setbacks
Old Ways Die Hard
Emissions/Aftertreatment Leader (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 31, 2017
I can't recommend GE Transportation to anyone, because I was laid off from there...twice! Hard to imagine how a company can be in business for over a hundred years and still cannot endure lean times without laying off valuable people.
But if you love technology and especially if you like working with lots of talented engineers, and you don't need to support a family or live in one place, it's a good choice. Being GE, there's lots of ladder climbers there. Upper management doesn't have a clue what locomotives are all about. The real skill and company backbone is in the engineers and workers who have managed to avoid or weather the layoffs. There are long-timers there, but always new faces.
Another uncertainty: there are indications that GET is slowly moving operations away from Erie and towards Texas, India, and other places. Capital spending in Erie tends to be superficial, or "band-aid", just do the minimum to get the short-term goals done. So I wouldn't expect much to remain there in 20 years. except lots of contaminated dirt.
Salaried people enjoy good benefits and flexible work hours, even though late and weekend work is often required. Some jobs are very stressful. Some managers seem to believe if you are not giving somebody a hard time you are not doing a good job.
The corporation imposes many of its enterprise software solutions and lawyer-inspired rules on Transportation, and it's hard to see what they get in return. GE's vastly different businesses have little in common.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, exposure to technologies of all kinds, good place for hyper-acheivers to shine
Cons
bureaucracy befitting a giant company, drags down your day; strong layoff potential
Welder (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 25, 2017
This is a great place to work. The wages are quite fair and the people are really nice. The only problem is the union environment. There are many people that work there that should have been fired years ago. Yet they still have their jobs, while the newest are laid off that do a great job.
Nice Big Company
Electrical Machines Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 19, 2017
Opportunity to rotate in different roles within the company.
Unionized workforce did not favor the company growth.
Busy schedule with lots of meetings!
Pros
Opportunity for career advancement
Cons
Lots of work with the pay on the lower end
No job security!
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 12, 2017
I am dedicated and work hard by myself and as a group. I strive for perfection. I go to work with little to no supervision from management. Great pay and benefits. Job security is horrible. I gave up my call back rights because I want to be dedicated to one company for the rest of my career.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job security
its ok
MANUAL BULLARD OPERATOR/ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 5, 2017
GE is great for pay and benefits but the job security is to much up and down has far as work place environment its one of the better places I have worked for their safety programs are a model for any industry to follow all though others would not agree
GE Transportation
GE Transportation (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 4, 2017
difficult to maintain work/life balance; excellent compensation and benefits package; job security is difficult given certain business environments; very intelligent and motivated group of people to work with and for;
long hours and nothing changes
operations (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 3, 2017
same issues, just resort to fixing everything with OT. upper level management is always saying they listen to everyone's concerns but thats about where it stops and nothing actually seems to get done about anything.
Summary
Senior On-site Services Staff Manager (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 29, 2017
GE is great place to work. Working at customer site is not very enjoyable. Have to follow customer work culture. I have never worked at GE owned facility but from colleagues have heard flexibility and work life balance is great.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Compensation
Dont do it.
Lead Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 24, 2017
Total lack of consideration for any of thier employees
They will use you and lose you. Lots of temporary layoffs amd then one day they decide to move the line to Texas or overseas. And your jobless. All in all, they only care about the dollar, they could care aless about the employees.
A very good company
Global Engine Labs, Test Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 17, 2017
Worked there as an intern for a total of 11 months on mostly the engine team as a mechanical engineer. Excellent place to work, and extremely inviting in terms of atmosphere and people. Got a lot done while I was there, and it was all because of the people.
Your never good enough no matter what
Controller (Former Employee) –  Lawrence Park, PAApril 14, 2017
Management at GE Transportation is nothing but a bunch of uneducated out of there league nobody's. Always looking to find fault with even the best of workers just to condone their pitiful attempt at securing the job they have.
Pros
pay
Cons
management is plain stupid
family fun days, employee fun days, safety incentives, pizza parties...etc
Lead and Loop Department (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 13, 2017
work is kind of boring and repetitive but pay and benefits were great. I liked the people I worked with. We often had fun times around the holidays and superbowl. We had a union and they did a great job getting us the benefits we needed. It wasn't perfect but much better than most places. I do feel that people had a sense of entitlement and hid behind the union to get away with stuff.
Pros
pizza days and picnics
Cons
health care was really good when I started but dedtuctibles and copays increased
Great Company
Systems/Proposals Engineer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 5, 2017
Great company to work at ! Invest into its employees for development and growth. Learned tremendously to cultivate myself to become a future leader. Learned to adapt, innovate and work with a diverse and global workforce.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GE Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval