GE Transportation Employee Reviews

Location location
Lead Engineer Technologist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 17, 2017
GE is a great place to be employed. Family was just able to handle the change from beaches and warmth to snow and cold. Would support anyone making the move to GE.
Challenging
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 16, 2017
Unlimited resources but insane amount of red tape. I work with incredibly smart and motivated people. They push you to perform as well as support you to succeed. Plant level management is tuned in and generally pretty good. Upper management is a mess. Mostly finance and sales people trying to run a manufacturing company. Direction is unclear - treading water right now.
Pros
people, resources, challenging work
Cons
upper management, terrible healthcare plan, permissive vacation policy
Stereotypical large corporation. You're a number
Lead Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 14, 2017
Stereotypical large corporation. You're a number. Typical propaganda will state that GE is a "People" company. It couldn't get any more impersonal that this. If you really want to make it here, watch the brown-nosers or make friends with higher ups.
Short sited business with lack of direction
Exempt employee (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 13, 2017
The good:
Fair compensation
Training available for motivated employees
Diverse career path opportunities

The bad:
Poor benefits package
Poor work/life balance
Lack of business vision and direction
No loyalty to long service employees
Typical Day at GE
Staff Digital Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2017
GE is a great place to work, as far as employees and collaboration. The management team could use some training, and communication could be better. The benefits are excellent.
Complicated but Intelligent
Lead System Validation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 7, 2017
The work was challenging and interesting. Training was weak and nonexistent. Business systems are complicated and inconsistent between divisions and locations. Communication from management was good and upfront. The company is definitely on a trend to improve processes and technology focus. The hardest part of the job was learning the business process, tools and methodology. The enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to do my tasks and the support with advanced technology.
Pros
Continuous exploration of new technologies.
Cons
Lack of planning, which leads to expedited engineering and sub par products.
it was a nice place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 28, 2017
Good work environment, a nice place to work. I have learned many ways to do a good job of welding or driving forklift while at ge. The most enjoyable part of my job was looking at the finished product and knowing I had a hand in building it.
Pros
good people who worked there
Cons
healthcare
Good learning experience
Lean Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 27, 2017
This gave me valuable experience in a manufacturing environment solving real problems and integrating with professionals. Don't expect to be busy or have someone overseeing your activity. This is more of a 10wk interview.
Pros
good work atmosphere
Cons
I didn't have any cons in my experiance
Ac dc motor tear down (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2017
Great place to work that's why I want to go back every single thing that I learned at every wheel shop I ever worked at those principles and those certificates can all be achieved at this one place
Pros
Always pushing you to learn another certification
Cons
Kinda hot in the summer
Place of change & maturing
Lead Product Owner, RailConnect (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2017
Benefits, salary and the people who work here are good. My only issue is GE is going through a reorg and it's a very unstable environment at the moment. Hopefully once the dust settles the culture will improve.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Unstable right now durning GE hard times.
Great pay but that's about it!
Building and Machine Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 26, 2017
Every 6 months you have to worry about a lay off. no kind of long term security for you or your family regardless of if you are union or management. kinda hard to plan anything when you may or may not get laid off at a moments notice.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Job Securitry
Nice place to work
Lead Engineer - Systems Engineering (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2017
Great building, there is a lot of growth happening here. Management needs to be more involved in the engineering process. I like that fact that the company in going over into the software space.
GE Trans
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 23, 2017
spent 10 years with GE and the other businesses (HC O&G) seem to run with less turmoil.

Material availability was a huge issue throughout the organization and the software systems in place work but there is zero training on how to use them.
Find work somewhere else.
Lead Planning & Execution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 23, 2017
GE Transportation develops college grads in a "OMLP program" .
Leaders assign unreasonable tasks combining jobs that forces them into very long hours. A good example is an OMLP worked 25 hours to cover an understaffed department. I just went thru a "workforce reduction". In the last 12 months 5 people just come off program. The five of us that were cut were between 55 - 65.
Pros
money
Cons
long hours, terrible senior leadership
Friendly Work Place
Material Controller I (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 22, 2017
Overall, GE Transportation is a great place to work. Safety is of paramount importance in this environment. I have learned how to run cranes, operate washers, requalify parts, ship engines and many other responsibilities. The hardest part of the job is getting to work (54 miles). The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that work there
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Short breaks
Competitive fast-pace environment
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 22, 2017
Typical week completing outlined deliverables. I have had several different managers. My most recent manager was amazing at pulling together a team full of experience and expertise. He was great at keeping his teams together and cross training. Workplace culture is team motivated and always a learning environment. The hardest part of my job was quarter/year end financial close.
Pros
Team building events/summer hours
Cons
healthcare
Nice Workplace
Technical Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 19, 2017
It was a balanced life and nice workplace to be at. I enjoyed my time with some good learning as well. They offer nice work from home as well. Overall nice experience
cut thoart
coilwinder (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 14, 2017
co workers are beyond greedy, this is not a secure place of employment. always laying off workers and management. work environment is extremely stressful
GE Oil & Gas
Sr Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 6, 2017
 Inherited a severely troubled $8M initiative that was over budget and over schedule.
 Revived project’s health using Agile methodology and cultivated deeper business commitment.
 Delivered project with only a $10K variance, despite serious initial setbacks
Old Ways Die Hard
Emissions/Aftertreatment Leader (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 31, 2017
I can't recommend GE Transportation to anyone, because I was laid off from there...twice! Hard to imagine how a company can be in business for over a hundred years and still cannot endure lean times without laying off valuable people.
But if you love technology and especially if you like working with lots of talented engineers, and you don't need to support a family or live in one place, it's a good choice. Being GE, there's lots of ladder climbers there. Upper management doesn't have a clue what locomotives are all about. The real skill and company backbone is in the engineers and workers who have managed to avoid or weather the layoffs. There are long-timers there, but always new faces.
Another uncertainty: there are indications that GET is slowly moving operations away from Erie and towards Texas, India, and other places. Capital spending in Erie tends to be superficial, or "band-aid", just do the minimum to get the short-term goals done. So I wouldn't expect much to remain there in 20 years. except lots of contaminated dirt.
Salaried people enjoy good benefits and flexible work hours, even though late and weekend work is often required. Some jobs are very stressful. Some managers seem to believe if you are not giving somebody a hard time you are not doing a good job.
The corporation imposes many of its enterprise software solutions and lawyer-inspired rules on Transportation, and it's hard to see what they get in return. GE's vastly different businesses have little in common.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, exposure to technologies of all kinds, good place for hyper-acheivers to shine
Cons
bureaucracy befitting a giant company, drags down your day; strong layoff potential

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GE Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.