GE Transportation Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Master Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 13, 2017
My position was terminated (lack of work) by people who I have never met and knew nothing about the job functions I performed. This happened after I inherited senior level responsibilities on top of my current responsibilities with no pay increase.
n/a
Material Planner/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 12, 2017
I love working for this company. I am only looking for a job because the future is uncertian and I have a family to support. Family comes first and is the most important thing in my life
GE was a good place to work for
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 9, 2017
working there was good, my co workers helped make working there fun. the pay was good and it was a good place to work at . I learned a lot from working there,
Pros
money and the hours were good
Cons
we knew it wont last
Be prepared to deliver
Digital Technology Leadership Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Wayne, MIAugust 4, 2017
GE is currently going through cost-out and trying to optimize each business unit team. It really focuses you to think about how you deliver to your team and GE's goals. If you have a niche, deliver consistently, and work well with others, GE is a great fit. They will challenge you and make you a better employee.
Pros
Fun and Fast-Paced Atmosphere
Cons
Union workers are first to get cut.
Different work enviornment everyday
Braze Welder; Cable Technician (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 3, 2017
Everyday was different and had its challenges. Being part of a team, to create parts for such a big product. Bosses were readily available in timely manner.
Pros
amount of work available
Cons
job stability
Productive and challenging place to work
Technical Advisor/Material Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 2, 2017
Working for GE Transportation has been rewarding and challenging. Locomotives are highly integrated systems and require a higher level of understanding to evaluate and repair. The applications used to work in this field are highly specialized but can assist personnel in adapting to other fields in industrial management.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Nice place to work, cared about work-life balance.
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 2, 2017
Enjoyed working with such a diverse group of people. No two days were alike, always something w challenges to deal with. Working here was certainly a terrific learning experience.
Overview
Value Stream Leader (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 1, 2017
The business is cyclical as are most but GE doesnt take advantage of the downturn to work projects, 5S, or install new tooling or machines. Immediatly they begin making reductions in force that devistates moral anx increases the burden on remaining EEs such that they no longer have to time to make improvements for when the work returns.
n/a
Assembler/Material Handling (Former Employee) –  Lawrence Park, PAJuly 22, 2017
The work its self was fine. the wages where exceptional. the bosses at times couldn't care less about the workers or our concerns. the union has too much power which allowed for people to be lazy.
Good Workplace, No Structure
Embedded Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 21, 2017
Good co-workers, interesting work, but no real structure-- very hands-off management approach, to the point of lacking direction. Most difficult part of the job is keeping up with new procedures-- internal communication is lacking.
Pros
Free coffee, free workout center membership
Cons
Frequent emergency software changes
Location location
Lead Engineer Technologist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 17, 2017
GE is a great place to be employed. Family was just able to handle the change from beaches and warmth to snow and cold. Would support anyone making the move to GE.
Challenging
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 16, 2017
Unlimited resources but insane amount of red tape. I work with incredibly smart and motivated people. They push you to perform as well as support you to succeed. Plant level management is tuned in and generally pretty good. Upper management is a mess. Mostly finance and sales people trying to run a manufacturing company. Direction is unclear - treading water right now.
Pros
people, resources, challenging work
Cons
upper management, terrible healthcare plan, permissive vacation policy
Stereotypical large corporation. You're a number
Lead Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 14, 2017
Stereotypical large corporation. You're a number. Typical propaganda will state that GE is a "People" company. It couldn't get any more impersonal that this. If you really want to make it here, watch the brown-nosers or make friends with higher ups.
Short sited business with lack of direction
Exempt employee (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 13, 2017
The good:
Fair compensation
Training available for motivated employees
Diverse career path opportunities

The bad:
Poor benefits package
Poor work/life balance
Lack of business vision and direction
No loyalty to long service employees
Typical Day at GE
Staff Digital Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2017
GE is a great place to work, as far as employees and collaboration. The management team could use some training, and communication could be better. The benefits are excellent.
Complicated but Intelligent
Lead System Validation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 7, 2017
The work was challenging and interesting. Training was weak and nonexistent. Business systems are complicated and inconsistent between divisions and locations. Communication from management was good and upfront. The company is definitely on a trend to improve processes and technology focus. The hardest part of the job was learning the business process, tools and methodology. The enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to do my tasks and the support with advanced technology.
Pros
Continuous exploration of new technologies.
Cons
Lack of planning, which leads to expedited engineering and sub par products.
it was a nice place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 28, 2017
Good work environment, a nice place to work. I have learned many ways to do a good job of welding or driving forklift while at ge. The most enjoyable part of my job was looking at the finished product and knowing I had a hand in building it.
Pros
good people who worked there
Cons
healthcare
Good learning experience
Lean Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 27, 2017
This gave me valuable experience in a manufacturing environment solving real problems and integrating with professionals. Don't expect to be busy or have someone overseeing your activity. This is more of a 10wk interview.
Pros
good work atmosphere
Cons
I didn't have any cons in my experiance
Ac dc motor tear down (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2017
Great place to work that's why I want to go back every single thing that I learned at every wheel shop I ever worked at those principles and those certificates can all be achieved at this one place
Pros
Always pushing you to learn another certification
Cons
Kinda hot in the summer
Place of change & maturing
Lead Product Owner, RailConnect (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2017
Benefits, salary and the people who work here are good. My only issue is GE is going through a reorg and it's a very unstable environment at the moment. Hopefully once the dust settles the culture will improve.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Unstable right now durning GE hard times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GE Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval