GE Transportation Employee Reviews

Good place toneork
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie Pa.September 21, 2016
Many opportunities in a wide range of fields. Good work life balance. Job security is average to low. Most of the people are good to work with. Mangement focus can be a little bit short term. Compensation is good. Vacation policy is good.
Pros
GE culture
Cons
Job security
Productive company
BIDS & PROPOSAL LEAD FOR N. AMERICA (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MAJanuary 17, 2017
Good company to learn and work on huge projects. Very challenging at time but with rewards only in the form of achievements. Salary was lower than market.
They work you until you're numb to it
n/a (Current Employee) –  n/aDecember 2, 2016
The typical work day for an employee is 10-11 hours. If you put in your 8 hours and then leave, you're a "lazy" employee. It's a high-stress environment every day. Managers are very good at committing to unreasonable goals and tasks - especially because all they have to do is commit and not actually follow through with them. There is no work-life balance - no matter what they try to tell you when they hire you on. They do invest a lot of time and money to train employees and teach them all they need to know. To me, this doesn't compensate for all of the other negatives of this company.
Iam very productive and dependable person. I would be a great asset to your Company
Service Technician II (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 28, 2016
Review our daily work schedule and began the work that has to be done. I work 10 hours shifts and over time if need. I follow all the safety sheets for what ever project we are working on at the time. The most enjoyable time of the day is when we get new contracts for Train parts.
Pros
bonsus
benefits
good pay and benefits
Locomotive assembler (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 17, 2016
Ge has a reputation for the past 100 years building the best locomotives in the world. The company offers good pay and benefits
Self directed work place
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PASeptember 8, 2016
I enjoyed my job for most of my career. Maintenance on the machines could be a lot better. Management personnel being hired regardless of experience in a manufacturing environment.
Dynamic environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 8, 2017
Opportunity to work in a highly dynamic environment with tremendous opportunity to grow and develop. Work with extremely smart people and observe many leadership styles
Best group of guys I ever worked with. Period
Remanufacture Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 27, 2016
This reviewer worked as a temp and due to a labor depute was not retained. I was however offered a position later that due to health issues at the time i was not able to take. Management seemed very open to work with me when I had a family emergency arise even though I was just a temp. I loved the work and the guys i worked with were more than willing to help with training of new skills or fine tuning of existing skills, even offering to skip breaks just to help out. If a position becomes available again i would be more than happy to go back.
Fun Atmosphere
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 8, 2015
I only had a shadowing experience here, so I am unsure of the payroll or the benefits that the job requires. But the employees here were extremely friendly and helpful. I liked seeing different people, and interacting with new faces.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
A little too much down time, which can drag the day out
Excellent
IM Program Manager Business Solutions (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 26, 2015
Wonderful place to work with great people and competitive salary. Expect long hours with lots of reward. A wonderful, rewarding, and relaxed atmosphere with high expectations but little worries about non-work related stressors. Excellent work from home policy.

Want to know more about GE Transportation?

Ask a question
Engaging environment
Too many meetings though
Not a boring minute
LEAD SVCP ENGINEERING (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 8, 2012
Typical day of an SVCP Engineer is to conduct cost cutting projects in all major assembly buildings. The best part of the job is interacting with the professional assemblers in all sections. These are dedicated to their job and know their stuff well. Managers are smart people that recognize good work and praise accordingly. I didn't notice the scheming and corporate cut-throat maneuvering that I have witnessed at other sites. The technical openness is definitively GETS key to the innovation that occurs at Erie, as well as the scope and depth of the expertise that is cultivated there.
Pros
respectful work athmosphere
Cons
lake effect snow
it was good while it lasted
Welder (Former Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 1, 2016
i gave my job everything i had, and I was still laid off. Not much else to say. this company only cares about its CEOs and forgets about the employees that made it what it is today
nice place to work
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  ErieDecember 2, 2015
Very nice place to work, nice people, great team. good benefits and easy going. would recommend the company to other people
Loved who I worked with very poor management
Lead Management Engineering Planner - PMO Office (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 8, 2016
very poor management, harassment that the H.R. dept could not do anything about for 10 years after numerous complaints.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
extremely poor management
Daily challenges, team environment that works together to obtain the same goal and develop a robust product.
Mechanical Design Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 13, 2016
A typical work day consisted of. A brief meeting was held to review the status of the project and tasks and status of each member. If one of the team members had incomplete tasks we would assist them to keep project on track. Your day was not structured and chained to a desk for hours at a time. But very free flowing to travel about the facility, weather it was concept, design, development, to prototype testing production. Every team member was specialized in a function but was not limited to one, cross training and mentoring held a big part of that. Management had very little part of the equation only to review status of the projects and recognize our accomplishments with complementary lunches. I have to say the most demanding part of this position was vendor supplied parts not meeting our demand dates to fulfill our testing and production dates. To sum up the position held, project was very challenging with a demanding schedule, but with the team I was involved with it was very enjoyable.
Pros
Team environment that worked together and complemented each other, that made it a pleasure to be part of a project.
Cons
Contract Ended
shipping/receiving
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 10, 2016
the staff was great to work with, the employees were very helpful in teaching
I learned a lot about locomotives
manager was wonderful, very knowledgeable

most enjoyable was the people I worked with
Talented people, low pay, fair schedule, crummy office furnishings and decor, old facilities
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 12, 2014
Very talented coworkers and management. No job security as a contractor. Low pay, no benefits. Quite fair about flexing your schedule. 70's vintage offices and ancient facilities. Union drafting department.
Pros
Flexible schedule, trusting atmosphere, capable computers, whatever software you need
Cons
Low pay, crummy office furnishings and decor, old facilities
Good company
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2016
Good work life balance. Great family based company that takes care of their employees.Was a pleasure working at this company.
Poor Morale and Declining Incentives
Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 28, 2012
Benefits get reduced each year, no incentive compensation, poor work-life balance, limited career growth and zero recognition for performance. Most new hires quit within 1-2 years, finding far better work environments, productive cultures and better total compensation elsewhere. Long-term staff stay for convenience but tend to be disengaged.
Pros
no pros
Cons
too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GE Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.