GE Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Daily challenges, team environment that works together to obtain the same goal and develop a robust product.
Mechanical Design Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 13, 2016
A typical work day consisted of. A brief meeting was held to review the status of the project and tasks and status of each member. If one of the team members had incomplete tasks we would assist them to keep project on track. Your day was not structured and chained to a desk for hours at a time. But very free flowing to travel about the facility, weather it was concept, design, development, to prototype testing production. Every team member was specialized in a function but was not limited to one, cross training and mentoring held a big part of that. Management had very little part of the equation only to review status of the projects and recognize our accomplishments with complementary lunches. I have to say the most demanding part of this position was vendor supplied parts not meeting our demand dates to fulfill our testing and production dates. To sum up the position held, project was very challenging with a demanding schedule, but with the team I was involved with it was very enjoyable.
Pros
Team environment that worked together and complemented each other, that made it a pleasure to be part of a project.
Cons
Contract Ended
Worked in a fast paced environment
Supply Chain Global Distribution Intern (Former Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 22, 2015
I really enjoyed my summer internship with GE Transportation. I was introduced to many aspects of the work environment that I had never experienced before.
Pros
Many opportunities in different aspects of the work environment
Cons
May get lost in the crowd
good downtown location
finance analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2015
good downtown location.
company is all about execution.
market is cyclical. heavily dependent on the US railroad industry.
Pros
downtown location
Cons
work pressure
Great work environment
Web Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 7, 2015
Great work environment. Good team concepts. Very challenging positions. Good management . Job was outsourced overseas.
Pros
Adjustable work schedules
Cons
Admin tools were not consistent and poorly programmed.
nice place to work
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  ErieDecember 2, 2015
Very nice place to work, nice people, great team. good benefits and easy going. would recommend the company to other people
Fast paced environment with high visibility opportunities
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 30, 2015
Work with a cross-functional team from commercial, engineering and manufacturing to ensure the supply chain is in place to meet both our customer and internal commitments. Working in matrix organization I've learned that focused communication is key to being effective and influential. Management typically uses a hands off approach giving employees formulate strategies to meet business goals. One of the biggest challenges is navigating thru legacy processes that aren't conducive to operating such a fast pace environment.
Pros
Supportive affinity networks, high visibility projects
Cons
Outdated processes; change management
Internship/Co-Op
Electrical Engineering Co-op/Intern (Former Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 9, 2015
Gives students a excellent chance to experience real world work at an Engineering company. The after work life is excellent and great pay.
Good salary poor benefits poor management
Lead Engineering Planner Management (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 7, 2015
it's all about the stockholders, their image to the public
poor to little training
some managers are really trying hard some are all about a power trip
others won't speak up and say anything to protect their employees
complaints in H.R. filed, nothing done in 10 years, all about protecting their managers, they don't care and don't want to hear about it. Move onto the next churn and burn employee. Some managers are good and the employees stay. Can't speak for those though. Didn't have one of those, unfortunately! Lot's of turn over in the planning area though.
Pros
good work with the poor
Cons
poor management
Productive and fun workplace
Intern/Technical (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 30, 2015
Good place to learn and get involved. Very easy place to facilitate productivity and results. Overall, a good place to get experience.
funplace
Java architect (Current Employee) –  PAAugust 21, 2015
GE Transportation Evolution Series Tier 4 Engine to meets the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) stringent Tier 4 emission standards without the use of any type of after treatment, Tier 4 Locomotive will be the first mainline locomotive on the market to meet the standards.
To manage the incidents occurred in tier 4 locos on different time frame with different rates, have implemented the application with CAMEL/Fuse technology to process the high volume data that is captured in different mode. The incidents directly download from the locos when it reaches the shop for the regular maintenance and other mechanism is, receive the incidents thru online using installed modem. Online incidents are different rates as per the type of the incidents, and direct downloads are different volumes. All these incidents will reaches to GE network in the form of messages, to handle these kind of bulk message data processing used camel/Fuse and Active MQ as the technology stack and implemented the solution. As a final step all these processed details shall be used by the EOA system to show case as faults and corresponding Rx for those incidents.
It is a good job that is very stressful and challenging.
Technical Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 12, 2015
I work a 12 hr shift that usually 13 or more on a 4 day work week. I receive maintenance passdowns from the outgoing shift and conduct at least 2 meetings with Union Pacific Supervisors and trade personnel about the repair at hand in the facility. I work at the trades level applying technical direction as required.
Workplace with fascinating projects
Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAOctober 26, 2014
The main project of this contract position was to upgrade the main fuel pump and after-burner system of the J85 Turbo Engine.
Typical day was re-design and testing different prototypes. Some calculations verified strength and stress of the new parts still could meet the specifications or meet higher specifications.
I learned from applying, installing the actual systems, making changes and advancing the system. All these actions were informative to me.
Management was friendly and professional.
The same with co-workers.
The job culture was professional.
Pros
aviation company
Cons
only a contract position
Good people to work with
Signal Engineering Coop/Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2014
The group of people were excellent and promoted a family atmosphere. They were quick to approve time off when necessary. The job could get a bit tedious and monotonous, but every so often a change would come through that would present a new challenge.
Pros
great work/life balance, stable job
Cons
must change companies to get a significant raise
Talented people, low pay, fair schedule, crummy office furnishings and decor, old facilities
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 12, 2014
Very talented coworkers and management. No job security as a contractor. Low pay, no benefits. Quite fair about flexing your schedule. 70's vintage offices and ancient facilities. Union drafting department.
Pros
flexible schedule, trusting atmosphere, capable computers, whatever software you need
Cons
low pay, crummy office furnishings and decor, old facilities
GE Transportion is a fun place to work for
Transportation Technician (Current Employee) –  Tiffany Springs, MOApril 21, 2014
A typical day at work is a good day for me a work.I learned how to be safe at work because I work around a lot of danger equipment like over head crane that we use to move train motors I think that my co worker are the bomb they are very good co worker.The hardest part of my job is getting bye the morning hours sometime been at work 2 in the morning is kinda rough at times the most enjoyable part of the job is getting of hitting the clock and going home tried
A fast paced position that allows you to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met and visit locomotive repair facilities.
Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 17, 2014
The position I have is a challenging position. One in which you get to be involved in every aspect of the business from the operations side to the finance side. Working with the operations teams and the multiple repair facilities that we have is the best part of the job. The team is great and everyone is very good at their jobs and extremely intelligent.
Pros
work with locomotives, smart and professional people, no micromanagement
Cons
there are times of high stress and we routinely work long hours
The worst management on the planet
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 14, 2014
First of all the management is TERRIBLE. Their managers don't support their employees, instead it's all about impressing the person above them. The people have poor work ethic. There's no work-life balance and the company seems to hates women. It's almost all men and the few women get comments questioning why they are there instead of raising their children. I'll tell you why: I'm a single mom and had no choice but to work there. They never have enough people to get the job done. At GE, less is more. You aren't a person you're a 9 digit number.
Pros
it looks good on your resume
Cons
it will make you want to stab your eyes
Not a boring minute
LEAD SVCP ENGINEERING (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 8, 2012
Typical day of an SVCP Engineer is to conduct cost cutting projects in all major assembly buildings. The best part of the job is interacting with the professional assemblers in all sections. These are dedicated to their job and know their stuff well. Managers are smart people that recognize good work and praise accordingly. I didn't notice the scheming and corporate cut-throat maneuvering that I have witnessed at other sites. The technical openness is definitively GETS key to the innovation that occurs at Erie, as well as the scope and depth of the expertise that is cultivated there.
Pros
respectful work athmosphere
Cons
lake effect snow
Great pay and work enviroment with great benefits
Fitter/Welder (Current Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 9, 2013
Great place to work! I`ve been there for a little over 2 years and love it. Lack of work is the reason why I`m loosing my job. I work 2nd shift and loved it. The guys I worked with were awesome and fun to work with. They made the nights go by fast. we could lesson to music while we worked and made it fun.
Pros
clean working enviroment
Cons
communication between management and workers could improve.
Poor Morale and Declining Incentives
Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 28, 2012
Benefits get reduced each year, no incentive compensation, poor work-life balance, limited career growth and zero recognition for performance. Most new hires quit within 1-2 years, finding far better work environments, productive cultures and better total compensation elsewhere. Long-term staff stay for convenience but tend to be disengaged.
Pros
no pros
Cons
too many to list