GM

1.2K reviews

GM Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Management (Current Employee), Thousand OaksAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Great Pay and Benefits
Cons: Relocation and Politics
Great place to work and excellent pay! However, if you are not willing to relocate to Detroit for career advancement this my cause an issue with moving up.
Lots of travel Great benefits
Area Service Manager (Former Employee), FloridaAugust 1, 2015
Pros: benefits benefits benefits
Cons: cant think of one
As an AREA service manager your duties were to authorize questionable or borderline warranty repairs for Gm vehicles. Lots of travel and high miles on the road. Benefits are amazing and meeting new people made it worth while.
Its a ok place to work
Assembly line Worker (Current Employee), Kansas City, KsJuly 30, 2015
They allow plenty of shut downs so you can travel alot. Air conditioned plant some job are overloaded and it could take a while for you to get hired.
Great
Student Corps Summer Intern (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 28, 2015
it was a great experience, I really learned about myself and the people I worked with. I enjoyed myself and I liked coming to work every day.
I was a contractor at General Motors.
SENIOR DESIGNER (Former Employee), Warren, MIJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Training, training and more training.
Cons: Lunch breaks are only a half an hour long
1, A great place to work.
2. Contractors are treated like second class citizens. For example, a flood occurred at GM last summer and flooded all of the tunnels to all of the buildings. So, how did they pay for part of the tunnel flooding? They gave the all of the contractors random UNPAID furlough days. The direct people still got to work their 40 hour work week. Then in April, all of the direct employees got a profit sharing check for $9,300.00. Does this seem fair?
3. Then there are the annoying little things like putting the "C" next to your name in the phone directory. Why don't – more... they just make us all wear "Day-Glow" orange shirts to discern the contractors from the direct employees.
4. Other than the last two gripes, GM has a very positive working environment. You work hand in hand with your engineers and mentor other designers.
5. Management has a total open door policy and were always extremely cooperative and flexible.
6. The hardest part of the job were release dates. Even though management drew a line in the sand that said the designers were not to make any changes a week before the release date, the engineers still tried to impinge on that date.
7. The working conditions were great.
8. The people were always friendly and pleasant, both direct employees and contractors. – less
Great Opportunity working in EDW
Performance Optimization Analyst (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 23, 2015
Cons: They have a management all star team, hard to move up
Worked in the Enterprise Data Warehouse, a great opportunity to work in a well established company with the feel of a start-up due to the EDW being created in late 2012.
different culture
Manufacturer/Team Assembler (Former Employee), Arlington, TXJuly 22, 2015
Pros: good pay for permanent
Cons: rain, snow or sleet..they expect you on line and ready to go!
GM has its own city..the people are quite different. Most are kind and intelligent but there are some who, you have to wonder how they got the job. Unfortunately the union will work on those peoples behalf.( the lazy ones) Other then that the money and benefits are good if you get on as a permanent employee.
Call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Rewards once you had a evaluation
Cons: n/a
Answering calls from customer that had issues with their vehicle. Technical assistance with features inside the vehicle, setup dealer appointment.
Great environment, fun atmosphere!
Information Security Analyst (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 20, 2015
Cons: Compensation not competative
GM is a great company to work for. Has a great culture and balance of work/life activities. The management is fantastic and company goal is a powerful one. Put the customer first.
Good work and life balance
Analyst (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 18, 2015
Good work and life balance along with a good compensation and benefit package especially for a recent college granduate
Great Pay but very difficult to move up or gain influence
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 16, 2015
Great Pay but very difficult to move up or gain influence with pyramid management style. Great benefits and very stable.
Summary
District Specialist (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 14, 2015
It can be a good company depending on the department you work in and the location. I worked in the warren area and it wasnt pleasant.
Development Manager (Current Employee), Grand Blanc, MIJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Free cars for each employee every quarter
Cons: Org structure at times
GM is an awesome place to work! Its a large company so of course there are pockets that are less desirable then others.
-Required training so you learn a lot
-Managers are very nice for the most part
-Coworkers are friendly...some are entitled...some are competitive
-The best part of the job is the people
Worst Environment
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 14, 2015
Pros: The pay rate
Cons: Nonprofessional, Childish Environment
General Motors has to be the worst job I have ever worked for. This is located on Ben White Boulevard. A typical day at work does consist of managing inbound and or outbound calls and relaying information to customers. I've learned great customer service skills and was coached greatly for improvement. Management on the floor there are unprofessional some supervisors that are available and do love their job. However when you don't like what your doing you tend to not really worry about performance of employees. The hardest part of the job well that just usually depends on challenging situations with the people that General Motors chooses to hire through the contracted company Concentrix. This was not a very friendly environment or perhaps I should say don't get too friendly with these people. They will do what they can to make sure you do not succeed if you have potential for growth well you almost would have to be a part of the gossip and alliances that seem to be happening among the HR department and supervisors on the floor.
Stressful
Tool and Die Maker/Machinist (Former Employee), Warren, MIJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Money
Cons: everything else
Unskilled supervisors instructing tradesmen. Company work life welfare entitlement system. Sleeping co- workers. Company limits employee knowledge's and usefulness. No chance of advancement. Military structured.
Productive environment that promotes learning
Business Performance Leader (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Coworkers care about eachother
Cons: Limited Job advancement
High energy environment. I am fortunate to work with very smart and hard working coworkers. Another great thing is the unique environment in place that fosters the ability to learn more about the business. However, I feel that long term vision, strategy, and planning could be better and day to day activities continue to be reactive for business continuity. There is also sluggish internal movement to adopt new technology and major IT outsourcing has led to poor ability to service the customer.
Good environment
First and Second Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Flint, MIJuly 10, 2015
Good environment and long hours, but is a nice structured workplace. Gained experience working with the UAW leadership and policies.
My least favorite job, right out of high school.
Assembly Worker (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJuly 10, 2015
Pros: good wages and benifits
Cons: dirty and very physical
I worked at GM because my father was able to pull some strings and get me into the factory. The money was good along with the benifits. The jobs themselves were smelly, dirty and not pleasant. Even though I worked there for 8 years, and going to school, I was never happier to leave a job.
awesome
quality assurance, customer service (Former Employee), Spring Hill, TNJuly 10, 2015
Pros: they took care of you at the companies cost no matter what
Cons: dont miss any days as you will get fired, its all about competition and consumers
productive,clean,and stable atmosphere,great supervisors and leads as well as co-workers.great salary,full benefits package taken almost anywhere.they are like a family you could depend on.I was taught management skills,how to manage time and balance multi-tasked positions,i was taught the importance of being a team player,the hardest part of the job was only being moved around so much.at the end of the day its a great place to work.
Great place to learn new skills, exciting new cars
Coordinator (Former Employee), Warren, MIJuly 9, 2015
During my career, I had the opportunity to experience new jobs, from administrative assistant to HR Administration to Vehicle and Benchmarking where I learned to take measurements on vehicles. I learned new skills on every assignment that I took.
Headquarters