GM Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,338 reviews matching the search
Great benefits and pay.
Quality Analyst and Quality Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MI 48910July 24, 2016
You can work very long hours and 6 or more days a week depending on demand for vehicles. Management is very hard on their employees and write you up any chance they get. Great company to work for, but management can be very stressful.
Pros
Benefits, pay, time off.
Cons
Management are overly hard on employees.
hard work and nonstop
Assmbler (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 22, 2016
it is a 8hr workday hard work must not have a life they want you too give the all your time. Management is ok but don't really care for there people all they want is the work done and done on time good people work there just trying to make a living the hardest part of the job is the pain that you will have in your hands the most enjoyable part about the job is when the bell rings to go home
Pros
you get benfits
Cons
they dont care
Operations is not for the weak
NOC Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 21, 2016
The GM Culture is a great example of how work should be but operational roles are pretty much excluded from this culture. You work hard and prove that you are worthy of advancement. As long as you are backed by a great leadership team, you can have high hopes.
Pros
Car Discount, Schooling benefits
Cons
HDHCP
Good Large Company
Tire Wheel Systems Test Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Milford, MIJuly 20, 2016
I think GM is on the right track for the first time in my career. I am not looking to leave because I am unhappy with the corporation or my opportunities here.
Love this place great benefits and pay
CNC Tool Setter/ Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 19, 2016
General Motors is an excellent company to work for! they value their workers and compensate them and acknowledge their hard work and dedication. You never feel like your just a worker because the team and supervisor are like family. great training, clean place to work and you always looking forward to going to work. GM was very good to me for 32 years no complains.
Very nice place to work
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJuly 18, 2016
My typical day was working on the assembly line inspecting cars for defects or missing parts. I learned how to detect problems with the vehicles. The management and co-workers were very friendly and willing to help if needed. the hardest part of the job was sometimes trying to assemble some parts on the car because some didn't always line up perfectly but I enjoyed my job very much when I inspecting them.
Pros
I received some bonuses and paid holidays even though I was a temporary employee
Cons
Had short breaks.
Very welcoming
Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYJuly 18, 2016
Safe and knowledgable work environment . Very profitable and career driven workplace . Union based , beneficial
Pros
Multiple discounts and salaries
Cons
Unknown forecast of jobs in the future
Fortune 10 Company with Good Benefits
Assistant Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 17, 2016
GM has changed a lot in the last 5 years and often has a poor reputation that was not rightly earned. The benefits and pay are on par or above most other companies. The management has a good head on its shoulders (but, your mileage may vary depending on what group you are in... which is true for most companies). The is plenty of opportunity, but it isn't always easy to find the next step. Slow and Steady will serve you well. Overall, I would recommend them to anyone.
A typical day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 14, 2016
Assemble vehicle parts on vehicles as they flow through our work area. Follow the installation guidelines specified by the parts’ installation diagrams. Check for errors in installation and for safety concerns consistently. Work in cohesion with coworker(s), if needed. Complete tasks in specified time frame. The hardest part of the job is learning and getting your speed up to standard on fast-paced and/or strenuous assignments. I enjoy the camaraderie between co-workers and the togetherness we have.
Pros
Job Security, Eventual High Pay
Cons
Hard Work, Standing All Shifts
Work too hard
Union Member UAW (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 13, 2016
The Union is very bad and they don't really protect you or help you. The union at GM is not needed anymore. The company does not care about their employees. You can cut off fingers and they still want you to come to work. Too many family members work together. They work six days a week and you can never miss work or get sick. Humans get sick and it just isn't a great place to work. Money is good but that's about it.
treated with respect
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
i was treated with respect while at my time at uptown Chevrolet Cadillac . i was compensated appropriately
Good benefits and pay, difficult environment in which to work.
Assembler/Paint Inspector (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOJuly 12, 2016
A difficult environment to work, both due to the actual physical aspect of the jobs, but to the time you needed to due each job. In my case the length of time to due most jobs was 53 seconds.

As you gained seniority the jobs became less stressful but just barely.
Pros
EXCELLENT PAY, EXCELLENT BENEFITS ALL WON BY UNION CONTRACTS.
Cons
WORK ENVIRONMENT, THE PHYSICAL DEMANDS THE WORK PUT ON YOUR BODY.
SSO (Current Employee) –  MichiganJuly 11, 2016
GM Tech Center is a good place to work, not great. Management is ok. I love the work environment and love being able to work with metal. The hours are great and the people are great.
Pros
Good pay and hours
Cons
management
Productive atmosphere and great worker friendly environment.
Contract Position - Product Designer/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 11, 2016
In the time period involved at GM, I enjoyed learning processes that I can ultimately are used in the industry elsewhere.
Pros
Employees are committed to make a quality product.
Cons
Big company sometimes moves too slow.
A great career starter for growth and advancement
Commercial Lending Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIJuly 10, 2016
I truly enjoyed my time at GMAC. The only reason I left was due to the consolidation of branches and the majority of elimination of positions in this area.
Laid back atmosphere and friendly people make it an enjoyable workspace.
Manufacturing QA Software Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2016
GM-IT is a huge operation in Austin, Texas. In saying that everyone is very friendly and happy to help new hires. Work distribution varies greatly by team. Some employees or new hires have it easy with little workloads, while others feel continually swamped. Benefits could not be better, which include healthcare 401k matching, and large discounts on GM vehicles. If you have an interest in working for an IT division of a large company GM-IT would be great place to start.
Pros
Benefits, facilities, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Little room for vertical movement for new hires as many higher ups are between 30-50 years old.
Interesting job to have. It required attention to detail
Team Leader Internship (Former Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIJuly 9, 2016
The requirements were asking of you to be at your best day in and day out but it was worth it. A typical work day was hot, humid, and could be a delayed minute away from being boring. But my co workers is what made the job
Pros
lunch, work schedule
Cons
not advancement available
support from fellow technicians and engineers
Level Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 7, 2016
arrive and get right on with the work-testing standards and testing methods-let me do the job as i needed-always were ready to give a hand if i needed it-equiptment software was not designed for the job,but was forced to use it-great working conditions
Pros
respect
Cons
pressure to take shortcuts in testing proceedures
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 5, 2016
I learned a lot at General motors. It was a great experience for me coming from a small town.
Co-workers were great to work with, the team lead was awesome! he taught me a lot of ways to test.
Pros
overtime
Cons
lack of communication with the dev
Great for Work Life Balance but questionable for career advancement
Business Process Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 30, 2016
Great for Work Life Balance but questionable for career advancement since the review process is not fair and preference is given to employees who has spent more times v/s better performance.

4.2