GM Employee Reviews

Found 1,379 reviews matching the search
Career-challenging and productive. Provided opportunity for personal growth
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 30, 2016
Recognition of achievements for individuals and Groups..
Plant and Department Goals and targets clearly defined.
Learned to set expectations and lead Teams.
Supported an environment to foster positive relationships for both management and employee.
Re alignment as needed and working and planning with others to overcome any Safety, Production or Quality issues that may impact the daily schedule.
Enjoyed the daily interactions with the workforce(whether resolving conflict or observing the joy and sense of accomplishments).
Pros
Opportunities for personal growth and advancement.
Great learning enviroment and lots of opportunity for advancement
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GASeptember 29, 2015
I enjoyed my time there, i was able to work in many areas of the automotive bussiness, and learned alot about what it takes to build a car or truck. I enjoyed the management team, and the people.The benefits were also great. I also enjoyed the educational classes that were offered all through my years there.
Pros
lots of time off for holidays and vacations.
Cons
having to work 2 weekends on and 1 off.
Laid back atmosphere and friendly people make it an enjoyable workspace.
Manufacturing QA Software Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2016
GM-IT is a huge operation in Austin, Texas. In saying that everyone is very friendly and happy to help new hires. Work distribution varies greatly by team. Some employees or new hires have it easy with little workloads, while others feel continually swamped. Benefits could not be better, which include healthcare 401k matching, and large discounts on GM vehicles. If you have an interest in working for an IT division of a large company GM-IT would be great place to start.
Pros
Benefits, facilities, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Little room for vertical movement for new hires as many higher ups are between 30-50 years old.
• Build full vehicle models in Nastran and morph model to meet design requirement s.
CAE Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJune 20, 2016
• Morphing full vehicle systems including BIW and sub-systems to meet new program requirement s.
• Evaluate and analyze new designs for the program to meet target requirements.
• Modify proposed designs to improve structural performance.
• Worked on integrating models to meet new structural requirements.
• Worked on morphing existing vehicle designs to reflect changes proposed.
• Built and set up Crash FE Models from CAD data in HYPERMESH, ANSA, and PRIMER.
• Converted models from LS-DYNA to OPTISTRUCT/ NASTRAN for structural analysis.
• Checked models runability for DYNA and NASTRAN simulation.
Productive & efficient Work Place
Sr. Project Engineer, System Managment Team (SMT) (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 8, 2015
As a Global Sub-system Validation Engineer, my day starts at 6:00AM. A conference call with my counter part in china addresses the issues with the Global Sunroof Module for the program at hand. An Analysis, Development, Validation Plan and Reporting (ADVP&R) is tracked for Vehicle Test Complete (VTC) to inform management about progress status. Successes or Failures are documented for Lessons learned.
Pros
Flex Hours
Cons
401K matching contributions up to 6%
Very homely productive environment
PeopleSoft ELM Techno/Functional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 24, 2016
The team members along with our IT manager in the project were so friendly that I didn't have any pressure from them while working. I got help from my team leads in many situations where I had few technical difficulties to finish the code. Most importantly our IT manager asks us to raise the flag up early on so that he will have time to arrange something reliable for us and resolve the situation. Apart from work our team gathers during lunch hours and coffee breaks very frequently to have little fun which is quiet refreshing during the work hours. In my professional career this team has given me many remarkable memories and experiences.
Pros
Ping-pong game, chess, books to read and free stationary items
Cons
little expensive food and drinks
Worked with good people. Fun
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 16, 2015
Excellent benefits. Secure employment. Fun people to work with. I was sorry to see the plant close in Janesville. The company was good to work for.
Pros
great benefits, Good people
Cons
Long hours, hard work
A typical day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 14, 2016
Assemble vehicle parts on vehicles as they flow through our work area. Follow the installation guidelines specified by the parts’ installation diagrams. Check for errors in installation and for safety concerns consistently. Work in cohesion with coworker(s), if needed. Complete tasks in specified time frame. The hardest part of the job is learning and getting your speed up to standard on fast-paced and/or strenuous assignments. I enjoy the camaraderie between co-workers and the togetherness we have.
Pros
Job Security, Eventual High Pay
Cons
Hard Work, Standing All Shifts
awesome
quality assurance, customer service (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNJuly 10, 2015
productive,clean,and stable atmosphere,great supervisors and leads as well as co-workers.great salary,full benefits package taken almost anywhere.they are like a family you could depend on.I was taught management skills,how to manage time and balance multi-tasked positions,i was taught the importance of being a team player,the hardest part of the job was only being moved around so much.at the end of the day its a great place to work.
Pros
they took care of you at the companies cost no matter what
Cons
dont miss any days as you will get fired, its all about competition and consumers
Tons of opportunities
Design Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJune 28, 2016
depending on you position, function and location all just within the realm of engineering your daily activities can be drastically different. If you want to sit at a desk all day there is a job for that, if you want to be working or parts or vehicles there is a job for that, it you want to be tracking down resolutions then there is a job for that. I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience at GM. Sure there is a lot of bureaucracy but where isn't there. GM takes care of you and not every company can say that. Learn to play the game and you will be living the good life.
I enjoy my job there and love the benefits
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYJuly 28, 2016
Very clicky job culture if management likes you you can do anything you want if they don't you are on their black list even if you did nothing wrong if they don't like they will pick with you. The Union there is not that strong as far as protecting your job they allow management to practically do whatever they want to do to employees. Benefits is great money is great you get good profit sharing and bonuses.
Pros
great pay great benefits great people to work with
Cons
short breaks clickish supervisors favortism
Great All American Company!
Exec Admin Assistant to CIO, VP Sales (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLAugust 24, 2016
Worked for the Latin America, Africa and Middle East Division, located in Miramar, FL
Management sent me to GM University to learn the Exec Asst trade. Worked with many executives, from all over the world. There was nothing negative about this job, but the worst was when company went bankrupt and they closed our division and moved it to China. I truly loved working for General Motors for almost 20 yrs of my life
Pros
going to work every day
Cons
when division was closed and moved to China
Lack of Advancement
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2016
Lack of Advancement
Poor Management
In-House IT culture not yet developed.
Poor work-life balance.
Difficult to get team members to work together.
Pros
Thriving auto industry
Cons
IT organization not yet developed
Culture Needs improvement
Material Flow Coordinator Global Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 20, 2015
Not an all inclusive environment, diverse. Management does not encourage diversity and does not discourage abrasive behavior. You will do well as a white middle aged male in this location. I can Not speak for GM as a company over all; only the location in Buffalo NY. I have heard good things about other locations and divisions of the company.
Pros
compensation
Very nice place to work
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJuly 18, 2016
My typical day was working on the assembly line inspecting cars for defects or missing parts. I learned how to detect problems with the vehicles. The management and co-workers were very friendly and willing to help if needed. the hardest part of the job was sometimes trying to assemble some parts on the car because some didn't always line up perfectly but I enjoyed my job very much when I inspecting them.
Pros
I received some bonuses and paid holidays even though I was a temporary employee
Cons
Had short breaks.
Fortune 10 Company with Good Benefits
Assistant Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 17, 2016
GM has changed a lot in the last 5 years and often has a poor reputation that was not rightly earned. The benefits and pay are on par or above most other companies. The management has a good head on its shoulders (but, your mileage may vary depending on what group you are in... which is true for most companies). The is plenty of opportunity, but it isn't always easy to find the next step. Slow and Steady will serve you well. Overall, I would recommend them to anyone.
good
Hyperion Admin/Developer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 21, 2016
General Motors developed a global application that was built to enable managerial reporting of budget, actual, forecast and variance explanations by brand and country of sale. This application had one consistent, common format to support product data analysis, transfer pricing, and tax decisions and support for legal issues. The work included development and administration of planning and budgeting application using Hyperion Essbase, Financial Data Quality Management, Hyperion Business Rules, Calculation Scripts, and Hyperion Planning.
Many advancement opportunities
Lead Supervisor - Technical Support Activity (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHSeptember 16, 2016
My experience was largely before the bankruptcy, having only worked a few months after. They have been engaging the workforce in Lean Manufacturing for about 15 years. You can expect that Accountability and Urgency have increased significantly since the major down-sizing that occurred during the Bankruptcy.
Pros
Steady employment, great benefits
Cons
Heavy schedules can result in weekend work and time from family
worst job ever
Tier 2 Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2016
this job will drain you. Worked as a tier 2 representative for 2 years. Lack of management. You get written up for absolutely everything. Even if you do everything the customer wants, you can still get written up. If you love life and enjoy being happy, please do not work here. The moment you walk through the door, your life will be stressed out.
Pros
overtime
Cons
you will need the overtime for the amount of work you have, no life, stress, lack of management
All in all a good place to work.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYSeptember 2, 2015
Working at GM was not an easy job. Your hours were long and the some of the jobs could really be difficult. As long as you can to work on time and did your job, you usually did not have many problems with management.
Pros
Family atmosphere. Execellent health benefits. Good incentives to get bonuses.
Cons
Jobs could really be difficult. Your body would really hurt. Hours not really flexible.

4.2