GM

GM Employee Reviews

fun place
Team Member G/A Department (Former Employee), Arlington, TXMay 20, 2015
• Effectively assist with building a total of 400 trucks daily
• Efficiently produces in a manufacturing type setting, by frequent lifting and carrying of objects, standing for long hours each day, and using the flexibility of limbs and hand-eye coordination
• Takes proactive measures by performing routine maintenance checks on machinery to ensure the accurateness of quality
It's good place to work at this location
Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Warren, MIMay 19, 2015
Pros: Competitive pay and benefits
Cons: There is always pressure on cost cutting on everything that makes life stressful
It's pretty good company and most of the people are really good professionals and easy to work with. There is a good work life balance approach which is the best.
excellant place to work
assembler/ forklift operator (Former Employee), GAMay 19, 2015
Pros: paid good salary, benefits were very good
Cons: had to work very hard no air condition in plant, long hours worked 6 days a week, didnt have much time off to spend with my family
great place to work had a lot of fun at work met a lot of different people. the work was hard but the pay and benefits were very good
Great Benefits, poor mgmt
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: lots of vacation
Cons: no room for growth
great perks like borrowing a car, cons are bad management, too much politics, no room for growth with batches of college students being hured
Learning, sense of accomplishment and income
Tool and Die Maker (Former Employee), Flint, MIMay 17, 2015
Pros: Learning and getting paid
Cons: Idle time
Interesting work building and maintaining dies. Learned about the need for quality in my work.
Management was knowledgeable and taught me much about production processes.
Fellow senior workers were very knowledgeable and helpful.
Hardest part was making a mistake.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the personal satisfaction from completing a task efficiently and being rewarded for my efforts.

Completed a four year tool and die apprenticeship at Chevrolet mfg. with related training at GMI which is now Kettering university.
Worked two years as tool and die Journeyman.
Promoted to management for four years.Trained in production mfg.
You can work as hard as you want; they'll let you.
Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2015
Pros: Good benefits package
Cons: 80% of all problems are in management's arena.
Great Company to work for... GM moves too slow and is lethargic in keeping pace with industry. Too conservative and unless it was invented here by upper management it all too often doesn't get implemented. Politics is the cancer of GM; it always has been. I have made GM millions of dollars over the years however I saw less than 1 thousandths of 1 % of it.
Work environment for management can be challanging.
Supervisor of Materials and Stamping (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSMay 16, 2015
Pros: Good location, convenient parking, good pay, and the majority of the employees
Cons: Personality plays a significant role in how well/fast/far you advance.
GM is filled with fantastic people but their management lacks the human element. Management is confrontational and prefers discipline over encouragement. I enjoyed every aspect of my employment but I have a very different management strategy.
An exciting place for a car nut to work, and to develop professional skills
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), Richland, WAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Fun vehicles, sales territory.
Cons: Sometimes unrealistic sales quotas.
The freedom to "try new things" made this a terriffic place to work. Getting to be around new product, product launches, and to work with decision makers is very satisfying.
I love my job
Sr. Six Sigma Specialist (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 15, 2015
I currently love my job and position with GM.

I would love to be utilized for what I was hired to do. I was hired to be the Sr. Six Sigma specialist (Master Black Belt for the Call Center organization) but what I have been doing for the last several months is documenting standard work.

I am looking to be more active in leading projects, teaching lean sigma and mentoring people and a company in the methodology.
Opportunities for career and personal development
Senior Financial Analyst - Pricing (Former Employee), Ciudad de México, DIF/ Detroit, MIMay 11, 2015
Company invested in employees. I appreciated my overseas assignment, and learned many transferable skills. Management was very supportive, and there seemed to be opportunities for career progression.
Software test engineer
Sr. Software Quality Assurance Test Engineer (Current Employee), Roswell, GAMay 11, 2015
No work life balance
No work form home policy
Lot of overtime
Odd hours because of international locations
Fast paced and friendly work environment.
Operator (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INMay 11, 2015
Before the beginning of a shift id inspect the various tools needed for the job. aligning doors required us to loosen multiple hinges and raise or lower door(s) and also inspect for damage or discoloration to paint. co-workers were friendly and easy to work with and learn from. the hardest part was doing your job while keeping up with the trucks moving down the assembly line.
fun environment to work in
District Manager (Former Employee), Cranberry township, PAMay 7, 2015
Very positive attitude from the people GM hires. Makes it a nice place to work. Managers encourage their employees to excel and move up in the company
great benefits
Quality Control specialist (inspector) (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great pay
How to work with large groups
team building
quality control
gage/measure, inspect to specifications.
enjoyed co workers
Not a robot
Warehouse worker (Current Employee), Brandon, MSMay 7, 2015
Need more out of my job to use my skills. Daily work includes nothing but basic knowledge that does not allow me to use my mind and skills attained through school and life.
very efficient place to work with a sad closing
Production Team Leader (Former Employee), Moraine, OHMay 6, 2015
Pros: excellent wages, health benefits
Cons: long hours, heavy lifting
The typical work day was usually busy and included different tasks daily. I enjoyed working alongside my supervisor as a team leader and learning new more effective ways of meeting safety and production goals. My co-workers were very hard working people. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspects of lifting parts sometimes up to 45 to 50 lbs. The most enjoyable part of my job was feeling like I worked with my second family to build a quality product we could all be proud of at the end of the day.
great place to work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Hamtramck, MIMay 3, 2015
Very great place to work if you can move at a fast pace.
The most important part of the job is to make sure the vehicles are properly put together for the safety of the consumer.
Straightforward Factory work.
Machine Line Temp (Former Employee), Romulus, MIMay 1, 2015
Pros: Consistent
Cons: repetitive
Come in, do your job, break, do you job, lunch, do your job, break, do your job, leave. Repeat 5 days a week. Very consistent. Very constant. Managers were reliable and polite. Co-workers were typical factory workers.

Best part was the pay.
Worst place I have ever worked
Corporate Risk Management (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great benefit package
Cons: Bad Management
Management is lazy and rely heavily on contractors to do all of the work. I was not challenged enough in this position. Being a "go getter" threatens management and you may be targeted for doing too good because you make the others look bad. The compensation and benefits package it wonderful though. If you can hold your head up high in an environment like that, go for it because the benefits might be worth all the trouble.
best place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee), Massena, NYApril 27, 2015
Pros: all
Cons: none
loved my job at GM but unfortunately the company closed our plant in 2008. We made aluminum heads and blocks for the engines of some of GM,s car models. We did the Lost Foam patterns and had great products
Headquarters