The person in this position develops and approves new and reformulated high-quality sports nutrition products starting from concept through first production including perfecting flavor, color, appearance, shelf life, ingredients, nutrition facts, performance, processing, safety, packaging, and consumer testing; all while working with Quality and Regulatory. This position is required in order to improve existing products and to provide new, innovative products in-line with the company's mission and emerging market trends, promoting growth of sale & revenue.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and approve new and reformulated products based upon product quality, performance, and cost. Includes performing product sensory evaluation, researching product standards and attributes, determining product safety, and directing consumer testing and analysis by third parties if needed. Manage internal and external suppliers (request samples and information, provide specifications, discuss product changes and safety, performance or regulatory issues.)
- Apply product research principles (field and bench top) to existing products and suggest areas for improvement.
- Develop, review and approve packaging and labels for new and reformulated products. Includes assuring technical accuracy, regulatory compliance, and GU's internal requirements.
- Manage internal and external suppliers, contractors and other outside resources. Includes directing requested product changes, evaluations, consumer testing, and analysis.
- Works in positive collaboration with all levels of the organization as necessary to achieve organizational and/or project team objectives.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience, Skills, and Attributes:
- BA or BS degree (Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Nutrition, Food Science, or Equivalent. Coursework, or experience background in Physiology or related discipline strongly preferred)
- 2 - 7 years combined experience with bench-top/prototype formulations, manufacturing/production experience, and package/label development and review preferred.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of new product development process and product improvement initiatives.
- Knowledge of ingredient functionality, product formulations, and basic food preparation.
- Working knowledge of sensory evaluation procedures; utilizing a well-developed sense of taste, smell, and texture.
- General Understanding of regulatory compliance (FDA, organic, kosher, various industry standards).
- General Knowledge of microbiology & food/non-food safety.
- Working knowledge of basic laboratory analytical equipment (pH meter, refractometer, simple titrations, various measuring devices, etc.).
- Thorough knowledge & understanding of manufacturing equipment, systems and/or environments.
- Ability to advise management of nutrition developments in sports science literature.
- Capacity to represent the scientific branch of the company at various athletic events.
- Must interact with our sponsored athletes/teams (and events) to obtain feedback for product development/improvement.
- Proficiency with MS Office and various nutrition databases (ESHA Genesis).
- The ability to quickly learn and use other software packages.
- Experience interacting with suppliers/vendors and customers.
- Understanding of GMP, HACCP, TQM and other quality assurance systems.
- Professionalism in execution of all outlined duties, consistent with the behavioral values and positive culture of GU Energy Labs.
- Travel 15-20% of the time.