Ga. Dept. of Corrections Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Ok place to work.
Correctional Officer/Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Swainsboro, GA 30401October 6, 2017
It is a stressful place to work. It's not the inmates, it's the staff that you work with. The day can be going good until, and then it's bad from that point.
Worst place ever
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 23, 2017
PLEASE DONT GO HERE! You'll be treated like an inmate!!!! They are always short of staff and will make your life a living nightmare every chance they get!! LITERALLY!!!
Pros
Cons
Every single thing
Great Career Move
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Forsyth, GAMarch 16, 2017
GDC thus far has been a great addition to my knowledge base. I've been here a little over a year and although there are minor complaints (not worth mentioning) I can honestly say that I enjoy my job, co-workers and work environment as a whole. With every position in life it is what you make it.
Pros
Promotional Opportunities, On the job training, Extensive training opportunities, Overtime, Co-workers, Pension Plans, Holiday Pay, Accrued leave, Accrued sick time, Mgt
Cons
Disgruntle employees that complain instead of doing something about it
I'd rather be an inmate
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Alto, GAJanuary 28, 2017
You literally have less freedom than the inmates. The warden is a total hug a thug (inmate sympathizer), half the officers there are just as new as you are due to the turnover rate, benefits and pay are ok at best, but you get called in on every day off without pay. It's a bunch of bull if you ask me
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Everything else
Awful place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 1, 2016
As others have said this is an awful place to work. I worked as an outside detail officer for most of my time there. The administration and staff are by far the worst part of the job. Dealing with the inmates is nothing compared to dealing with the higher ups. They constantly change procedures from day to day. 99% of the supervisors will throw you under the bus to save their butt. It's hard to have a normal life because they are always calling you in to work on your off days WITHOUT pay. Your lucky if you even get your time back period. If you complain to administration they put you on the shift you least desire to punish you. The only pros I can think of are decent benefits.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
Everything else
bad management
foodservice supervisor (Former Employee) –  valdosta state prisonSeptember 9, 2015
Management is horrible its already a stressful job. The turnover rate is ridiculous they put so much work on you and the warden does not back you up on any decisions. His spill on it is those are his inmates so i decided to let him have his inmates the pay is not worth the stress
Pros
Cons
no breaks
Detail Officer
Correctional Officer II/ Detail Officer (Former Employee) –  Jackson,Ga.March 16, 2015
Supervise a group of inimates on different details thru out prison. I learned to be patient. How to manage a large group of individuals. Enjoyed working with co-workers. The hardest part was dealing with mental health inmates. The most enjoyable part of my job was making sure everyone made it home save.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Dangerous Job
Horrible
Substance Abuse and Alcohol Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, GANovember 11, 2014
Wouldn't go back to DFACS for anything at all. Low pay and stressful environment