GAF Materials Corporation Employee Reviews

Good salary
Boiler/stills operator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 13, 2017
The company offers good salary and the human resource department is good at handling internal issues. I am not crazy about the unavailability to rotate shifts as I never get a weekend off unless I use vacation but all in all, it is a good company.
All work and hard work
Dry-end operator/Re-wrapper (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJuly 14, 2017
All work and hard work, The management/supervisors on the shift really didn't know how to lead or talk to the staff to get them motivated to do the daily tasks. I believe that's why most of the material order numbers were not met at the end of the week due to the morale of the staff.
ok job
Material Handler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 3, 2017
To many shut downs for long periods of time. New management all the time. didn't know from day to day if you were doing the right thing. It serviced the time I needed to support my family
Pros
money and insurance
Cons
shut downs
Great people and benefits
Reasearch Tech (Current Employee) –  Ennis, TXMay 24, 2017
This company has a lot of good things going for it. They are always expanding and needing help. Lots of perks to the job. Work environment was the best I have had so far.
Few good co-worker. Lots of tattletale kiss butts trying to advance
Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXApril 8, 2017
Over all good company to work for management suck always micro manage the hourly employees. Pay was excellent hours were long. Not climate controlled hot during summer cold during winter.good place to work if your a butt kisser.
Pros
Pay was excellent, benefits excellent
Cons
Management sucks
Great pay, good benefits.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INMarch 27, 2017
I started with humble beginnings at this company but have quickly moved up.

The pay scale is better than any other in the area, but this likely due to the schedule. If you come here as an entry level, you will work - a lot. More than you may be willing to sometimes. If you like OT then this is the place for you. If you value your family time and weekends then it is not.

This is not a climate controlled facility, it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We make asphalt products which are processed at Temps exceeding 350 degrees so it is very hot in the summer.

The benefits are pretty good and there are safety bonuses and other opportunities to make additional money.

We still have people that have worked here since day 1 (40+ years ago), so you can make a career here.

It is an overall good place to work once you come to terms with the conditions and hours.
Pros
Great pay ans benefits, safety bonuses
Cons
Schedule, work-life balance
Solid company with excellent benefits
Regional Pricing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 23, 2017
Large, solid company with excellent benefits.
GAF a major manufacturer of roofing and building materials.
I enjoyed the working with the people and management my 10 years there.
Great place to work real family oriented company that i enjoy my time there.
Lead Boiler Operator/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Dudley, NCJanuary 7, 2017
Plant operator maintain steaming boilers and 7.5 mil re-heaters. controlled all water /chemical treatment for boilers and cooling towers
i learned a lot about welding and cutting, i think the hardest thing i had to do was curve my military critical thought process to fit in as a civilian operator, just a different sop than the military. i enjoyed working with a lot of older operators with tons of information.
Best company I have worked for thus far.
Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXDecember 27, 2016
The most rewarding part of my job was being able to work in a different areas each day.I learned a great deal about troubleshooting robots, changing the (X,Y) coordinates and other heavy machinery. My co-workers were very welcoming and trained me very well. The management was very involed with the employees throught meetings and also during daily tasks. The hardest part about the job was in the beginning learning all of the equipment. A typical day at GAF consists of doing monitoring an maitanance on heavy machinery to keep the plant running efficiently.
Pros
Great benefits, 401K Health, etc.
Cons
12 hour rotating shifts every 4 weeks.
Good place to work.
PRODUCTION PLANNER / EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATION (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXDecember 10, 2015
Good place to work. Great benefits. Safe working environment.
Team atmosphere. Good place to work. Great benefits. Safeworking environment.Team atmosphere.
Pros
Pay well and good benefits.
Cons
Degree requirements too stiff. Experience should count for something.
Challenging and exciting work environment.
Logistic Supervisor, Prod. Mgr, Plant Tech. Mgr (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 17, 2015
Diverse work place with hard working individuals. Management is supportive. However, some aren't on board with company goals when it came to the numbers, being open to new ideals and showing appreciation to employees when goals are meet. Most difficult part of the job was getting the union on board at times with meeting company goals, due to red tape and politics. Enjoyed working with, training my colleagues and developing personnel.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Long Hours
lots of projects and good pay
maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Shafter caSeptember 1, 2015
Safety was always important and i like that. I learned alot about surface material on steel, managemant changed alot in last few years . Co-workers are a good hard working bunch . It was hard working on hot machinery with heavy gloves and face sheilds. most enjoyable times are when everyone together at company functions
Pros
started work very early making the days end early in the day
Cons
the last few years new people in high positions
Poor management, lack of management's interest in using employees' talents
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXAugust 16, 2015
Poor management, lack of management's interest in using employees' talents. Work is not hard due to fact that the management does not have much interest in getting much work done.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
The company hires experienced people asking them to do work below their capabilities
Loved Working Here
Transportation Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 22, 2015
I enjoyed my time at GAF. I worked with great people in an environment where you felt like they cared for you and your career. If I could work here again, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Decent Benefits, 8 hour work day, company summer picnics, holiday parties
Cons
You will be pushed to work here but that's to be expected from any good company
Good company
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXMarch 18, 2015
Good company for the most part. Friendly co-workers. Learned lots of things about research and development on physical materials. An average day would consist of testing a variety of materials under research, and data entry. No real issues with the employer i can think of.
Pros
Good Stability, Good benefits
Cons
Overly reliant on temporary workers lately.
Great learning experience
Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2015
Very demanding. The attempt to plan was always present but you are always planning vs a "forecast" never reality. Need to be prepared for about anything at all times.
Fun Workplace
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Wayne,NJMarch 30, 2014
• Construct orders in a timely manner placing emphasis on high priority loads
• Provide knowledge on product specifications as well as product availability to accommodate customers’ needs and deadlines
• Demonstrate outstanding teamwork skills throughout departments to meet customers’ expectations
• Revise and validate orders placed electronically to confirm accurate products and quantities for southeast region
• Assist with the distribution of voicemail box follow-ups to Customer Care Representatives
• Configure warranty claims through compiling vital information from claimants
• Guide consumers through the GAF website, delivering product information and warranty coverage
Pros
everyone is very close within their teams
Cons
Responsible for strengthening the relationship and growing the business with The Home Depot.
Sales Representative - Michigan (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 10, 2014
• Facilitated the flow of building material products and executed national account sales goals and initiatives.
• Developed strong relationships amongst customer base that solidified my presence in the territory.
• Implemented strategic selling plans for each store location that aided in their market growth.
• Managed point of purchase marketing displays, launched new product lines, and conducted training seminars for Home Depot team members.
made plastic ridge vent for roof in the housing ind
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAOctober 10, 2013
typical day was the same as the IMS Gear but on 2nd shift.The hardest part of this job would be on-call the whole weekend once a month but was well compensated for it
Pros
pay was good working conditions was real good
Cons
no cons with this job
very good workplace 3 shifts very good on saftey and the money was very good
Machine/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2013
busy alot of responability and very good managegment.. learned may diferent machines and just like anywhere most co-workers were very good management was very fair and saftey was a big part of thier company...the hardest art of the job was nothing and the most enjoyable part of the job was i loved the company and being a part of it
Pros
saftey management and of course the money was great also
Cons
not many, 3 shifts was not the best, but i got used to it.thats it