GAF Materials Corporation Employee Reviews

poor management
tractor trailer driver (Former Employee) –  usaSeptember 15, 2012
I worked at gaf for 4 years as a driver delivering product to customers. over the years the staff always changed. in the building material world with costs of overhead and raw material theyll find ways to reduce cost and this will effect the employee in some shape or form. there is absolutely no loyalty. you can go above and beyond and you will lose your job over the smallest of things. way to many "uppers" and not enough people who actually work. theyre is a vice president for about 20 diffrent jobs. vp of this vp of that. why? as far as the logistics side it comes down to the bottom line and who ever is in charge now has drastically changed the work enviroment and destroyed a once very good career. gaf has way to much competetion and theyre prices are way to high to pay for all the wasteful staff they employee.
Pros
fair money, m-f, steady work schedule
Cons
management, loyalty, values, no work in winter
I enjoyed my job at GAF Materials Corporation but due to my husband's illness and with the travel I had to leave.
Regional Purchasing Manager's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, SCJanuary 6, 2013
I made purchases for the Chester, S.C. plant and also acquired the best possible travel deals for our Managers. I also assisted the Regional Corporate Purchasing Manager in daily purchases for seven plants throughout the United States and traveled with her as needed. I also went to Washington, D.C. for training in a new computer program that we were implimenting in all plants. I assisted in the implementation and training with all of the seven plants located from California to Florida. I assisted in implenting yearly Blanket Orders and assuring that we received the best pricing for the Company as well as the best quality.

I enjoyed my co-workers and the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to save the Company money on purchases.
Pros
good work environment and great benefits.
Cons
i did not have any cons. i enjoyed working there and had hoped to retire there.
Excellent company with fantastic benifits and outstanding work environment
Designer (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 9, 2012
The most outstanding company I have ever worked for. I made a mistake that ended my employment and I hope to find similar or better employment (if possible).

Before I made my mistake -I came home every day saying there couldn't be a better employer. Every day when I came home and my wife would ask "How was your day?" I would often answer "You know how it went. It went the same as yesterday and every day before that -perfect."

The one largest factor that made GAF the outstanding place to work that it is -"the people". I have never worked with such a close-knit group of employees in all of my past working history.

It was extremely unfortunate that I lost my job with this company -but "God willing" -I will be back in working community soon.
Pros
benifits, and fantastic group of people
Fun Workplace
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Wayne,NJMarch 30, 2014
• Construct orders in a timely manner placing emphasis on high priority loads
• Provide knowledge on product specifications as well as product availability to accommodate customers’ needs and deadlines
• Demonstrate outstanding teamwork skills throughout departments to meet customers’ expectations
• Revise and validate orders placed electronically to confirm accurate products and quantities for southeast region
• Assist with the distribution of voicemail box follow-ups to Customer Care Representatives
• Configure warranty claims through compiling vital information from claimants
• Guide consumers through the GAF website, delivering product information and warranty coverage
Pros
everyone is very close within their teams
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 15, 2012
Working at GAF was a good experience. I started as a quality control lab tech and finished as a production line supervisor. It was challenging in that it was a union plant. Additionally challenging was the fact that it was a 24/7 operation and there was essentially no time off. Management was reasonable, and typically supportive. The hardest part of the job was the non-stop nature of the business andthe constant shift rotation. The most enjoyable was meeting or exceeding the expectations in spite of ocassionally being short-handed.
Pros
i made a lot of money due to all the overtime.
Cons
i had little time for anything else.
Challenging and exciting work environment.
Logistic Supervisor, Prod. Mgr, Plant Tech. Mgr (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 17, 2015
Diverse work place with hard working individuals. Management is supportive. However, some aren't on board with company goals when it came to the numbers, being open to new ideals and showing appreciation to employees when goals are meet. Most difficult part of the job was getting the union on board at times with meeting company goals, due to red tape and politics. Enjoyed working with, training my colleagues and developing personnel.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Long Hours
lots of projects and good pay
maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Shafter caSeptember 1, 2015
Safety was always important and i like that. I learned alot about surface material on steel, managemant changed alot in last few years . Co-workers are a good hard working bunch . It was hard working on hot machinery with heavy gloves and face sheilds. most enjoyable times are when everyone together at company functions
Pros
started work very early making the days end early in the day
Cons
the last few years new people in high positions
Responsible for strengthening the relationship and growing the business with The Home Depot.
Sales Representative - Michigan (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 10, 2014
• Facilitated the flow of building material products and executed national account sales goals and initiatives.
• Developed strong relationships amongst customer base that solidified my presence in the territory.
• Implemented strategic selling plans for each store location that aided in their market growth.
• Managed point of purchase marketing displays, launched new product lines, and conducted training seminars for Home Depot team members.
Loved Working Here
Transportation Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 22, 2015
I enjoyed my time at GAF. I worked with great people in an environment where you felt like they cared for you and your career. If I could work here again, I would in a heart beat.
Pros
Decent Benefits, 8 hour work day, company summer picnics, holiday parties
Cons
You will be pushed to work here but that's to be expected from any good company
very good workplace 3 shifts very good on saftey and the money was very good
Machine/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2013
busy alot of responability and very good managegment.. learned may diferent machines and just like anywhere most co-workers were very good management was very fair and saftey was a big part of thier company...the hardest art of the job was nothing and the most enjoyable part of the job was i loved the company and being a part of it
Pros
saftey management and of course the money was great also
Cons
not many, 3 shifts was not the best, but i got used to it.thats it
made plastic ridge vent for roof in the housing ind
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAOctober 10, 2013
typical day was the same as the IMS Gear but on 2nd shift.The hardest part of this job would be on-call the whole weekend once a month but was well compensated for it
Pros
pay was good working conditions was real good
Cons
no cons with this job
Good company
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXMarch 18, 2015
Good company for the most part. Friendly co-workers. Learned lots of things about research and development on physical materials. An average day would consist of testing a variety of materials under research, and data entry. No real issues with the employer i can think of.
Pros
good stability, good benefits
Cons
overly reliant on temporary workers lately.
Poor management, lack of management's interest in using employees' talents
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXAugust 16, 2015
Poor management, lack of management's interest in using employees' talents. Work is not hard due to fact that the management does not have much interest in getting much work done.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
The company hires experienced people asking them to do work below their capabilities
Great learning experience
Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2015
Very demanding. The attempt to plan was always present but you are always planning vs a "forecast" never reality. Need to be prepared for about anything at all times.