Galen College of Nursing Employee Reviews in United States

good place
Cleaning Maid (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 12, 2015
good people nice work environment logged in vendors checked badges walked area to make sure building was secure at night cleaned and maintained buildings cleanliness
Excellent CEO, Leadership and Staff!
Part Time Web Chat Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 12, 2015
At Galen College of Nursing, students are the top priority! Everyone at the company cares about the success of the students. Great company culture and lots of opportunities for advancement. Work and life balance is a priority as well. Truly enjoyed working for this company!
Pros
Work and life balance, company culture, advancement opportunity
Galen is a great school for an individual aspiring to go into a Nursing Career
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San AntonioOctober 4, 2015
Great for school to acquire nursing education, but one should prepare for an intense curriculum. This program is fast and furious.
Pros
accelarated program
Cons
Employee turnover
San Antonio Campus is Awesome!
Clinical Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2015
If you have ever thought about teaching nursing, this is a great place to start. Galen is one of the fastest growing colleges of nursing in San Antonio and constantly needing new clinical faculty to keep up with demands. I had tons of nursing experience but no teaching experience before I came here and I LOVE IT!
They also advance from within. Jobs are posted to employees before the general public (for all 4 campuses if you are looking to relocate).
Pros
Autonomy in teaching, shaping nurses for tomorrow.
Cons
Orientation for new faculty is a work in progress.
All about the $$$$$
Student (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 3, 2015
If they spent half the time listening to their students as they did harassing us for payments that had already been made they would be much better off. Very disorganized and poorly managed,..not to mention its a flaming liberal culture there, they left that part out of the recruitment flyer. Conservative points of view are not welcome in 95% of classroom discussions. Do not recommend.
Pros
Some Knowledgeable faculty
Cons
Everything Else
Good place with no micromanaging
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 28, 2015
I would check my schedule and voicemails, prepare for any appointments, make sure I have materials ready. I also would call prospective students to answer any questions and address any concerns. Most enjoyable part was being able to impact a persons life decision and see them succeed.
Productive and Fun
Adjunct Nursing Professor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 21, 2015
I enjoy working with the students . It brings me joy knowing that I am able to give back to future nurses . Autonomy is practiced on a daily basis . You have support from fellow co-workers and the Dean .
No room for advancement unless you're a professional brown noser
Staff (Former Employee) –  St PeteFebruary 24, 2015
Passive aggressive management style.
Get ready to be micromanaged while upper management do nothing but go to happy hours and schmooze events.
They claim to care about students but they only care about the quantity they can enroll each quarter.
Benefits are ridiculously expensive and do not cover anything.
Their raises? A joke not even enough to get yourself a pedicure...The most unprofessional place I have ever worked!
Cons
work through your lunch
Excellent nursing college who focus on student success
Nursing Faculty (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 27, 2014
Excellent nursing college that focuses on student academic success and strives to make a positive impact in our local community to prepare nursing students to excel at the bedside
Pros
excellent support system
Cons
poor clinical facilities, faculty not teaching in their area of expertise
Nurse educator (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 4, 2014
Most Clinical faculty have their schedules changed every quarter.
Long term care facilities used for advanced med surg.
Two clinical sites have no skills opportunity, residents don't want students to take care of them.
Faculty not teaching in their area of expertise.
Facilities manager extremely rude.
Pros
very knowledgeable nursing faculty, easy to work with, helpful and caring
Cons
college cares more about making money than student satisfaction. poor nclex pass rates, inappropriate clinical facilities
poor management
Nursing faculty/instructor (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiNovember 7, 2014
Decisions by management were not founded in students' best interest
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
The role of a clinical nursing instructor is one of educator, mentor and collaborator.
Clinical Nurse Instructor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 5, 2014
As a clinical instructor, I prepared clinical patient assignments for 7-9 nursing students in an acute care setting. The students engaged in the application of the nursing process and the daily formulation of individualized nursing care plans identifying all aspects of the patient including physical, psychosocial, cultural and spiritual needs.My responsibilities also included the students orientation, training to computerized documentation, guidance, preparation and clinical evaluation. I collaborated with the staff, unit manager and hospital educator to maximize the learning process for each student. In my role, I also served as a liaison between the college of nursing and each clinical location. I enjoyed the relationships immensely that was developed in my role as an educator. My co-workers were supportive, enthusiastic and great to work with on various committees. I never viewed any aspect of my position in a negative light however, the college did endure several transitions in management which impacted faculty.
Pros
autonomy and flexibility
Cons
turnover in management
Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 28, 2014
Good culture
Good staff to work with
Most enjoyable part of the job is watching the students succeed.
Stay away
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 20, 2014
Poor management . Very unsettled atmosphere. Unprofessional behavior by administration.Program Director drinks on the job, her behavior demonstrates this, corporate office aware nothing has been done , Dishonest work practices favoritism to those who cover up unethical behavior. Bullying to those who do not.
Pros
faculty who are not burying their head in the sand
Cons
dishonest administration, lacks transparency, poor work environment
Very unprofessional environment
Full time faculty (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 7, 2014
Galen College of Nursing does not understand how to cultivate a culture of respect for teaching. All decisions from the faculty are undermined and faculty have zero academic freedom. The administration at Louisville cultivates an atmosphere of fear and intimidation. Anybody who suggests changes is met with punishment in regards to scheduling, advancement and even threats of termination.

Turnover at Cincinnati campus over the past 2 years is over 50%. More importantly, over the past 5 years, despite many changes at the local administration level, the turnover has been very high (over 50% every two years). If you are a science or general education teacher, I would really recommend going elsewhere. They try to water down these courses and show minimum support and respect for these faculty. Additionally, with no long term faculty, it is hard to envision how this school is going to be successful. For many former employees, this was almost a career-ending job.
Cons
toxic atmosphere, little respect for faculty, lack of consistent scheduling
productive atmosphere
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 26, 2014
great place to work, wonderful learning environment
wonderful people
Great career choice
Nursing Student/ LPN-RN Bridge Program (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 13, 2014
I really enjoyed nursing school and all that it had to offer. I was challenged daily to use my skills and knowledge which helped me succeed in the program full time.
Terrible management
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 6, 2014
These people make many promises and keep none. Toxic work environment. The Program Director fires people on the basis of whether she likes you or not, not on your performance.
Nursing School
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 8, 2014
A fast track from nada to LPN in 1 year. They now offer an ADN program. Classes are small and the teachers are pretty helpful. Both online and classroom learning available.
Pros
accelerated program
Cons
expensive
Not for true educational professionals
Nursing Faculty (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 2, 2014
The hours are very long and not much of a professional environment. Most faculty are unhappy and looking for new positions. Upper management does not care and our local managers/administrators are unapproachable and unqualified to be in management.
Students are unhappy also and there is much complaining about schedules.
Pros
fellow faculty
Cons
management, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Galen College of Nursing. Our community is ready to answer.