Galen College of Nursing Employee Reviews

Not at all what they pretend to be.
Former operations- now under academics (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 21, 2017
Leadership turnover. We thought we had it bad before, it's worse now. Save the money they spend on flights to send people to "help" and invest on the real issues.
Ridiculous!
Pros
Promote from within
Cons
Leadership, Ceo, Leadership
Not a good place to work
Nursing Clinical Faculty (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 15, 2017
Management does not support faculty. Over works clinical faculty. Management lacks cultural sensitivity. Students are not number one priority as they advertise.
Great coworkers, horrendous leadership
Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2017
I have some great coworkers. They're talkative and would be an amazing team, but the leadership is absolutely horrendous. The team is very new but you can already see the burnout from incompetent management. It could be an incredible place to work if leadership could get it together.
Pros
Good team, great programs for students
Cons
Leadership, leadership, leadership
Galen Review
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 6, 2017
Galen was an excellent school for me. I was challenged, which is the best way for me to learn. The teachers were all so helpful and my clinical experiences really opened my eyes to all the nursing life has to offer. I sincerely wish I was getting my RN at Galen, but things just did not work out that way. I recommend this school to anyone who is looking to start a career in nursing.
Pros
Great teachers, good clinical sites
Cons
I can't think of any
Bad place to work
Anatomy instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 30, 2017
The instructors try to teach to the best of their abilities, but the administration is flat out incompetent. The Dean of Academics barely leaves her office and is laughing out loud all day while everyone else works
Unprofessional Unorganized
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 24, 2017
The Louisville facility is a very unorganized clich-ish environment. The management does not train or provide for any loyalty between colleagues. This is a place you will feel isolated and abandoned. I tried asking questions, being outgoing, all of this didnt matter in the end. Good riddance to a bad job
very unorganized and unprofessional staff
faculty (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2017
Local management not trained in managing people

Old faculty like to "eat" new faculty

Too much staff turnover, no consistency for students

Poor pay scale

No outreach for management positions
Pros
students
Cons
poor quality of nurses
Very little communication of role and responsibilities!
nursing instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLMay 16, 2017
Too many directors, top heavy organization, pulling staff one way or another without communicating between each other, which leaves staff not knowing what they are supposed to be doing or when they are supposed to do it. A lot of student problems, failing classes more than two times, not arriving at clinical on time. Outdated teaching methods with disorganized classroom environments. Hardest part was dissatisfied staff members, best was the students who wanted to learn.
Pros
Nursing students with eagerness to learn.
Cons
Management.
Do not recommend at all.
Hourly Worker (Former Employee) –  KYMay 12, 2017
Some excellent people work there but there are so many more negatives that far outweigh a few great co-workers.

Leadership is incompetent. The work environment is toxic in some areas.
Pros
Good intentions, a few great co-workers
Cons
Too many to list in the space provided
Fun, nice coworkers, bad management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 10, 2017
weekends off. hour lunch. 8-5 schedule. it's a good place to work. They like to promote within. Only con was the management. Expectations can be unrealistic. Manager seems to dislike you for no reason.
Great Workplace
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 13, 2017
Great work life balance for online employees. Excellent culture and responsive management, family oriented. Above average compensation. Company promotes from within.
A private school of nursing that prides itself in student success
Nurse Educator Instructor Clinical and Theory (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 28, 2017
Work days were generally very busy and challenging packed with student interactions, staff development, committee meetings and course and curriculum planning and development. I learned that education is constantly changing and the need to keep an open mind for change which promotes growth and development. Management was easily assessable and concerned about students and staff. While autonomy is a part of the job, team work is encouraged and utilized. The hardest part of the is sometimes trying to fit in committee meetings with the rest of the work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a student who has struggled then finally a light bulb comes on and that student is successful.
Great
Full time Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 18, 2016
Nursing Professor -
teach nursing students
co-workers are helpful
hardest part of job is staying organized and manage students
Administration is incompetent
Anatomy Instructor (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 27, 2016
Administration is incompetent. You are expected to learn everything on your own and then you reprimanded if you didn't do everything perfectly. The schedule fluctuate every quarter and you may have to teach a class from 8:00 to 10:30 pm
Good Nursing School
Adjunct Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 18, 2016
This is great company that provides a solid and well-rounded nursing education. Few opportunities, however, for professional advancement within organization.
Supportive Work Environmentr
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 29, 2016
Galen is a good place to work. I felt valued as an employee. I was able to maintain a good work/life balance because of the flexibility of my supervisor. Many procedures and practices were being revamped for the better, so I expect further growth in the time to come.
Pros
Flexibility, Support
Cons
Yearly Compensation Increases
good place
Cleaning Maid (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 12, 2015
good people nice work environment logged in vendors checked badges walked area to make sure building was secure at night cleaned and maintained buildings cleanliness
Excellent CEO, Leadership and Staff!
Part Time Web Chat Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 12, 2015
At Galen College of Nursing, students are the top priority! Everyone at the company cares about the success of the students. Great company culture and lots of opportunities for advancement. Work and life balance is a priority as well. Truly enjoyed working for this company!
Pros
Work and life balance, company culture, advancement opportunity
Galen is a great school for an individual aspiring to go into a Nursing Career
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San AntonioOctober 4, 2015
Great for school to acquire nursing education, but one should prepare for an intense curriculum. This program is fast and furious.
Pros
accelarated program
Cons
Employee turnover
San Antonio Campus is Awesome!
Clinical Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2015
If you have ever thought about teaching nursing, this is a great place to start. Galen is one of the fastest growing colleges of nursing in San Antonio and constantly needing new clinical faculty to keep up with demands. I had tons of nursing experience but no teaching experience before I came here and I LOVE IT!
They also advance from within. Jobs are posted to employees before the general public (for all 4 campuses if you are looking to relocate).
Pros
Autonomy in teaching, shaping nurses for tomorrow.
Cons
Orientation for new faculty is a work in progress.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Galen College of Nursing. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9