Galen College of Nursing

Galen College of Nursing United States Employee Reviews

Excellent nursing college who focus on student success
Nursing Faculty (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 27, 2014
Pros: excellent support system
Cons: long hours
Excellent nursing college that focuses on student academic success and strives to make a positive impact in our local community to prepare nursing students to excel at the bedside
poor clinical facilities, faculty not teaching in their area of expertise
Nurse educator (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHDecember 4, 2014
Pros: very knowledgeable nursing faculty, easy to work with, helpful and caring
Cons: college cares more about making money than student satisfaction. poor nclex pass rates, inappropriate clinical facilities
Most Clinical faculty have their schedules changed every quarter.
Long term care facilities used for advanced med surg.
Two clinical sites have no skills opportunity, residents don't want students to take care of them.
Faculty not teaching in their area of expertise.
Facilities manager extremely rude.
poor management
Nursing faculty/instructor (Former Employee), CincinnatiNovember 7, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management
Decisions by management were not founded in students' best interest
The role of a clinical nursing instructor is one of educator, mentor and collaborator.
Clinical Nurse Instructor (Former Employee), Louisville, KYNovember 5, 2014
Pros: autonomy and flexibility
Cons: turnover in management
As a clinical instructor, I prepared clinical patient assignments for 7-9 nursing students in an acute care setting. The students engaged in the application of the nursing process and the daily formulation of individualized nursing care plans identifying all aspects of the patient including physical, psychosocial, cultural and spiritual needs.My responsibilities also included the students orientation, training to computerized documentation, guidance, preparation and clinical evaluation. I collaborated with the staff, unit manager and hospital educator to maximize the learning process for each student. In my role, I also served as a liaison between the college of nursing and each clinical location. I enjoyed the relationships immensely that was developed in my role as an educator. My co-workers were supportive, enthusiastic and great to work with on various committees. I never viewed any aspect of my position in a negative light however, the college did endure several transitions in management which impacted faculty.
Faculty (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 28, 2014
Good culture
Good staff to work with
Most enjoyable part of the job is watching the students succeed.
Stay away
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: faculty who are not burying their head in the sand
Cons: dishonest administration, lacks transparency, poor work environment
Poor management . Very unsettled atmosphere. Unprofessional behavior by administration.Program Director drinks on the job, her behavior demonstrates this, corporate office aware nothing has been done , Dishonest work practices favoritism to those who cover up unethical behavior. Bullying to those who do not.
Very unprofessional environment
Full time faculty (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 7, 2014
Cons: toxic atmosphere, little respect for faculty, lack of consistent scheduling
Galen College of Nursing does not understand how to cultivate a culture of respect for teaching. All decisions from the faculty are undermined and faculty have zero academic freedom. The administration at Louisville cultivates an atmosphere of fear and intimidation. Anybody who suggests changes is met with punishment in regards to scheduling, advancement and even threats of termination.

Turnover at Cincinnati campus over the past 2 years is over 50%. More importantly, over the past 5 years, despite many changes at the local administration level, the turnover has been very high (over 50% every two years). If you are a science or general education teacher, I would really recommend going elsewhere. They try to water down these courses and show minimum support and respect for these faculty. Additionally, with no long term faculty, it is hard to envision how this school is going to be successful. For many former employees, this was almost a career-ending job.
productive atmosphere
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 26, 2014
great place to work, wonderful learning environment
wonderful people
Great career choice
Nursing Student/ LPN-RN Bridge Program (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 13, 2014
I really enjoyed nursing school and all that it had to offer. I was challenged daily to use my skills and knowledge which helped me succeed in the program full time.
Terrible management
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 6, 2014
These people make many promises and keep none. Toxic work environment. The Program Director fires people on the basis of whether she likes you or not, not on your performance.
Nursing School
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJune 8, 2014
Pros: accelerated program
Cons: expensive
A fast track from nada to LPN in 1 year. They now offer an ADN program. Classes are small and the teachers are pretty helpful. Both online and classroom learning available.
Not for true educational professionals
Nursing Faculty (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLJune 2, 2014
Pros: fellow faculty
Cons: management, benefits
The hours are very long and not much of a professional environment. Most faculty are unhappy and looking for new positions. Upper management does not care and our local managers/administrators are unapproachable and unqualified to be in management.
Students are unhappy also and there is much complaining about schedules.
it was ok
staff (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 7, 2014
It was a good place to work but the management was bad. i enjoyed working with my co-workers and the staff was nice. This place has to much family working there. very very bad management.
Wonderful school to work for
Faculty (Current Employee), St. Petersburg, FLMarch 5, 2014
Pros: smart, caring faculty; wide variety of teaching options available
Cons: lots of growth so there's ongoing change.
Galen has wonderful people in leadership positions who all have idealistic, visionary goals. A lot of very savvy, smart, caring people teach there and are incredibly dedicated to the students. (And yes, there was a substantial turn-over recently when those who could not handle the growth decided to leave.) New facility that is about to get a lot bigger--it's expanding to accommodate the growth. About to start an accelerated online BSN program. Right now has LPN, RN, and Bridge programs both ground and online.
This wasnt a "job"
LVN Clinical (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 19, 2014
This was my clinical experience from my college. I learned so much about being a nurse.early mornings and late nights.
High turnover of employees
Instructor (Former Employee), St. Petersburg FloridaDecember 9, 2013
Pros: solid curriculum
Cons: see review
Galen in St. Petersburg (previous employer) had great potential but the corporate office supported a Dean that was unprofessional, unethical, and was demeaning to the faculty and students. Eventually, the corporate office terminated the Dean and now their administrative turnover rate has been 150% in the last two years. Their NCLEX pass board rates are less than the National average and they are at risk of being placed on probation. If you are seeking employment in the Tampa Bay area, I do not recommend Galen until their administration is stabilized and their pass rate is not in jeopardy of closing the school. Good luck on your job search.
always encouraging
Education (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2013
great place to work and go to school. excellent teachers. great staff.
I loved teaching, I learned so much I decided to go back to school fulltime.
RN Faculty (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: wednesday, thursday, friday schedule
Cons: inconsistency amongst the management
My favorite part of working at Galen was the flexibility the job offered. The hardest part of the job was the quick turnovers of the quarters. We would have a week to finish the last quarter, prepare for the next quarter-- even if from one quarter to the next the job would change from a didactic class to a clinical position. The hardest part is also where I excelled the most.
Love the students
Career Services Coordinator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2013
Awesome place to work. In the year I have been there, took placement from below 60 percent to 80 percent. Was instrumental in starting Alumni Association.
I reccommend.....
Faculty-Adjunct Online Instructor (Current Employee), Louisville, KYSeptember 12, 2012
I currently am an adjunct instructor and I love it! I believe Galen is a great company to work for! Love the people and the management staff.

About Galen College of Nursing

Galen College of Nursing, one of the largest private nursing colleges in the United States, is an innovative higher learning institution – Read more