Galesburg Cottage Hospital Employee Reviews

The people and patients were great.
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMarch 2, 2017
I enjoyed the work experience but due to low census my unit was closed. The hospital is one of the smaller ones in the region and the competion is fierce for patients.
Pros
The people were fun to work with.
Cons
The job security was unstable.
Dysfunctional
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILDecember 19, 2016
Every day is an uncertainty. Staffing does not reflect acuity. Favoritism and nepotism are the only way to advance. Raises are insulting. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. But the staff on the front lines are some of the best people I had the priveledge to meet. I didn't realize how miserable I was until I left.
Pros
Opportunity for variety of experiences
Cons
Dishonest management
Job is rewarding
Technician (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILDecember 6, 2016
Job is rewarding if you can get the boss to be fair. She never want to help out. Makes mistakes and never want to take ownership.
Pros
Insrance
Cons
Bad raises
Housekeeper
Housekeeper/Aide (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILNovember 9, 2016
Work will always be available. No 2 days are the same. Breaks are still given and management cares about the workers. The hospital needs a huge boost in morale
Worst place I've ever worked
Employee (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILSeptember 7, 2016
I've been through Cottage Hospital as a patient and an employee and I will never do either again. The department managers are just glorified schedulers. I accrued over 100 hours of PTO over my 2 years there and when I go to use it, they tell me it's a glitch in the system and refuse to pay any of it. They also love making promises they never intend on keeping such as hours, pay, etc. They have the highest turnover rate I've ever seen because staff refuses to stay long. I've seen a CFO last 3 days. They also are continuously being bought out or taken over by a new management company. In my department we worked 8+ hours a day without a lunch or break and when you bring up that it's illegal they don't care. Last year everyone got a 3 cent raise, which I thought must be a joke. I also had access to very confidential files that they then have us fax around in and out of the hospital instead of making them secure. Stay away from this sinking ship!
Cons
Low pay, horrible management, favoritism, illegal practices
Bad place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJuly 12, 2016
New manager has no clue what or how to run clinics, closes a clinic three days in a row due to no patients and lies about prn staff to get them fired.
Pros
Great patients
Cons
Horrible and clueless manager and low patients ratio
Great Place To Work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMay 19, 2016
The Managers, Providers and Co-Workers all make you feel like you are all part of a team. I love that I get to work for all the providers as it never gets old or boring.It takes a lot to learn how each provider likes things done but with time and great co-workers always by your side it does get easier. Management does have a lot on their shoulders but will always make the time for their employees.
Pros
Teamwork
Benefits
Hardworking Team Atmosphere Dedicated to Providing the Best Care Possible to our Patients
Clinical Dietitian & Patient Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILApril 1, 2015
My experience working for Compass Group's Morrison Healthcare division at Galesburg Cottage Hospital has been wonderful. The employees in the Nutrition Services Department all work well together, have a great communication system, and are dedicated to making sure that the patients receive delicious, nutritious food during their stay. We provide meals and nutrition services to an average of fifty patients on a daily basis; as well as provide nutrition counseling in both an inpatient and outpatient setting, and serve healthy meals for the hospital's many functions. I enjoy the variety of activities that I was able to be involved in during my time at Galesburg Cottage Hospital, and hope to build upon the experience that I gained here to continue my career in a new city.
Exciting place to work
Biller/Collector (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMay 4, 2014
Billing - no two days are the same...
A majority of the office staff have worked here for over 10 years..
The hardest part of the position is trying to keep up with the new Medicare regulations...
Exciting and rewarding place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILOctober 1, 2013
Going into work was a joy for me. I would clock in and find there may or may not be anything for me to do as soon as I got there. Within a short period of time however, you could gurantee I would have patients to draw blood on. I had to learn time management as well as how to work under stressfull situations, as patients would start coming in from ER, outpatients, as well as normal routine inpatient blood draw orders. However, I met these fun, yet sometimes challenging times, with a smile on my face. I enjoy working with and around people.
Pros
working with the public and a great group of people.
Cons
sometimes having to work extremely short staffed.
Exciting work atmosphere, had a chance to use my brain.
Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILApril 11, 2013
I enjoyed working at the ER Registration Desk. I registered emergency patients as they presented at the desk, by phone, or ambulance. I also registered patients for outpatient procedures, greeted family members, and monitored entrance in to the ER area.

I verified insurance, collected co-pays, escorted patients by wheelchair to their procedure areas, updated medical records, and various paperwork.
Pros
i enjoyed trying to help people and get their personal information accurate.
Cons
could be sad with terminal patients on regular visits, family members dealing with tragedy or loss of a loved one.
Was fun to work with all all my co-workers RT and Nursing
Staff Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Galesburg IllinoisFebruary 25, 2013
A great place to work, the staff is awesome, with a friendly, family like environment. Really felt at home.
Pros
great staff in the rt dept. liked working with them
Cons
a bit of a drive, but worth it
Unless you're a nurse forget it.
Untraceable (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILFebruary 12, 2013
It's one of those places that's once again top-heavy in terms of administration. This was a facility on the financial brink only a few years ago but still finds it necessary to over hire and retain nurse management and an ACEO of all things. That's right, not only do they need a CEO which is all fine and good but also an ACEO with vast numbers of long-term nurses given soft office jobs instead of cutting them loose like they would many others without a second thought.

This could be a very good place if only there were to be some unpopular things done such as cutting the fat from management especially senior and nursing management. The entitlement mentality here runs strong and deep in the sisterhood.
Pros
cordial staff, concern for patient care
Cons
low pay for allied health, nursing entitlement, top-heavy management structure
Enjoy some coworkers and patients
Patient Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJune 23, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is the patients. A typical night at work is scanning charts, helping the nurses and doctors if needed, and being the first person the patients see when they seek treatment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Galesburg Cottage Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9