Gallagher Bassett Services

Gallagher Bassett Services Employee Reviews

High case loads and long working hours
Sr. Claims Specialist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Big company, benefits
Cons: High case loads, long working hours
High case loads, Long working hours, No pay raises in over 4 years across the board, High turnover rate, Low morale. High turnover in staff. Goals that are not attainable.
Heavy file load
Claims adjuster (Former Employee), Itasca, ILMay 26, 2015
Pros: Room for advancement
Cons: High stress
Worked 40+ hours a week verifying on the job injuries then setting up medical appointments and worker compensation benefits.

I learned to manage a case file load of 100+ claimants. Managed third party investigations, medical appointments and payment of worker's compensation benefits. Managed released to return to work status of each case and kept the employer and the Texas Worker's Compensation Commission up to date of the claimant's status.

Hardest part of my job was when a claimant sustained and severe injury.

Most enjoyable part of my job was being able to successfully get a claimant back on their feet and pain free.
Mediocre place to work. Heavy workload, minimal rewards
Account Manager (Former Employee), Mechanicsburg, PAApril 21, 2015
Company demands are at times oppressive. Much of Senior Management consists of Consultants and have no insurance or claims experience. Company rarely gives merit increases
Great place to learn and great relationships with clients
Casualty/Property Field Investigator/Adjuster (Former Employee), Miramar, FLMarch 8, 2015
Pros: salary was a little light
Cons: great learing experience and wonderful client relationships
Gallagher Bassett Services handled self insured entities such as municipalities, school boards, religious organizations, etc. The claims handled encompassed commercial claims as well as general liability claims. It was a great platform to learn about commercial and general liability losses, excess carrier and develop relationships with your clients.
Productive work place
Claims Assistant (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 11, 2015
A very productive work place, teamwork was good, friendly company to work for, problem solving is a must know, customer service business.
Did not provide the training as promised
Senior Casualty Manager, Captive Practice Group (Former Employee), Itasca, ILJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: was hired by a gentleman i worked with 30 years ago
Cons: lack of training, given tasks to perform that were below my experience and capabilities
The job as presented to me was not what it turned out to be. I was promised certain training which I was not given and the expectations from me after being there such a short time were not fair.

I was initially given 3 small captives who seemed to like my work and then given one more small one. Even though I still had capacity and had proven myself with other clients, they did not provide me with additional clients and found I was bored.
The management is not supportive or effective.
Senior Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), Calabasas, CANovember 5, 2014
Pros: nothing.
Cons: office morale is extremely low; employer only carries about numbers.
Not enough hours to get the job done. Overworked and under paid. Would not recommend anyone leaving a job to come to Gallagher Bassett.
Low Pay, Low Morale, Recent college grads should stay away, 200+ pending
Senior BI Adjuster (Current Employee), Mechanicsburg, PASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: co-workers, client lunches, experience
Cons: meager pay, inept supervisors, 200+ bi claims
I would not recommend this company to anyone looking to progress in the insurance industry. They do not train well (1-2 weeks) then stick you on a desk with 200+ claims and expect you to learn everything on the "fly". Supervisors are never around which makes the learning curve more difficult. Some actually sleep at their desk or drink during work hours. The branch manager supervises his son who is a supervisor. The supervisors also supervise relatives. Nepotism is huge at this company. They are unethical as some adjusters work files without the proper licenses(NY) which will eventually be found by the insurance department. The clients are often lied to about the way claims are being handled. The only positive note about this company is that it is a job filler until you can secure a position with another insurance company. I hope to be out of this company by the end of the month!
Overall, Gallagher Bassett was a professionally run company where employees were not just a number but part of a very elite team.
Financial Analyst GB Finance Department (Former Employee), Itasca, IL / (worked from home) Bloomingdale, NJAugust 5, 2014
Pros: worked from home, with positive feedback from management daily.
Cons: when set up was complete for in house takeover, job was completed.
Working for GB was very rewarding. Challenges presented were, no accounts receivable system, that interacted with Cash application or billing on a daily basis. Our solution, allowed for Excel worksheet populated from those system to create an Accounts Receivable worksheet of collections purposes and to record collection notes daily. This allowed management to follow work production and up to date correspondence with clients. Watching their receivable balance outstanding diminish from 180 days to 75 days was quite rewarding. It allowed a positive cash flow for the company an accomplishment to the collectors.
Excellent compensation, but very demanding
Senior Claims Representative (Current Employee), Miramar, FLAugust 2, 2014
Pros: excellent compensation
Cons: very demanding
I learned all that I know about workers' compensation from Gallagher Bassett.
I've had some excellent supervisors and managers and some not so excellent.
My co-workers (for the most part) are great people and easy to work with.
The hardest part of my job is how demanding the client is, in addition to how demanding the company is.
The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with claimants and being able to help them as much as possible with their claims so that they are happy.
Good company to work for however salary is low
Lead Adjuster (Current Employee), Columbia, MDJune 30, 2014
The company is good to work for, however, the salary is low compared to other similar jobs in the area. There is often a slow time frame for things to get done (promotions, hiring new staff, etc). My coworkers in my branch are phenomenal. We all put in several hours to ensure the job gets done.
Good enviroment
MEDICAL CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Current Employee), Miramar FloridaApril 16, 2014
Pros: good team work
Set up new claims, pay bills. daily diary, call contacts. return phone calls. answer e mails.
Having multi states, every day I learn different state laws.
Work as a team
Being a national adjuster is to maintain communication in different time zones.
I enjoy being able to maintain daily communication with different people.
No communication and nepotism
Senior Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: casual attire
Cons: total lack of communication and work overload
There is nearly no communication from management to staff. The workload is excessive and pay increases are minimal at best. Almost no upward mobility, unless you are related to upper management. My co-workers are good, hardworking people. Negative feedback is common, while positive reinforcement is rare.
I enjoyed the people I worked with
Senior Claim Representative (Former Employee), Saint Peters, MOJanuary 23, 2014
I was a claims adjuster doing claims for a large trucking company. Once a month I was on call 7-24 and would have to take reports at any hour of the day or night. I would have to assign reconstruction crews and attorneys to go to the scene of the accidents. I would get statements from all parties including any witnesses, write reports on the accidents, determine liability, negotiate settlements.
Working at Gallagher Bassett
Lead Technical Claims Assistant (Current Employee), Itasca, ILDecember 1, 2013
I help assist ten remote adjusters who work from out of state that handles work comp claims.
There is a total of four people who have the same position as me in my branch but on my floor there are a total of four branchs and a total of eleven people who have the same position as me.
The hardest part of the job is being able to assist all ten people at once when they are requesting different things.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the challenge of helping out all of my adjusters.
No work life balance
Claim Supervisor/Senior Claim Representative (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 20, 2013
Pros: ok pay
Cons: no work life balance
Always logged in and no time to get your work done. Management does not appear to have your back and only adds more work to your plate even if you are a top performer.
Awsome company
MO claims adjuster (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 1, 2013
Pros: low cost medical insurance premiums
Cons: too far away from ca
I am very happy with my employer at this time. I am looking to relocate to Lompoc CA area and would like to secure employment before arriving.
My typical day at work includes the handling of wc claims, many phone calls and computer work.
I authorize treatment for claimants if applicable and pay their bills to the providers.
Communication skills is a very necessary part of my day.
We work as a team, so I often cover for others who are out for the day or on vacation and maintain my desk also.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that we have a great office to work in and my co workers are all very considerate of eachother.
Claims in a nutshell
Sr. Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), Indianapolis, IndianaMay 25, 2013
Pros: working from home
Cons: pay is not competitive with the market of like positions, no secure bonuses, pay is not great.
A typical day at work is a busy day, each case is different, employees are different injuries are different. Every walk of life will heal differently as well as treat their injury differently. The hardest part of the job is figuring out which duty is priority, everyone and everything is number. So Everything and everyone is handled in that manner. I enjoy my co workers most.
Business minded, customer focus and family oriented
Workers Compensation Claims Supervisor (Former Employee), Bellaire, TXFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: family oriented
Cons: stressful at times
Gallagher Bassett is known for its excellent claims and customer service. A typical day includes proper administration of Workers Compensation claims with some special projects related to the same. Management supports the overall goals and values of the company. Co-workers in the Houston office are the best. The hardest part of the job well not being able to please everyone and the most enjoyable part of the job is helping where you cane.
Senior Claims Representatives (Former Employee), Plano, TXFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: some company parties and always had continued education classes
Cons: high case load
Adjusted a large volume of workers comp claims, making 24 hour contact with the injured worker, alot of my case load were Spanish speaking claimants.
I learned to balance & prioritize my days as necessary.
The hardest part of my job was a bit too much stress.
It was a very comfortable work enviroment, great supervisor and co workers were self motivated.

Gallagher Bassett Services Salaries