Gallagher Bassett Services Employee Reviews

Worst place I have ever worked
Resolution Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Management plays favorites. They claim transparency and open door policy but it depends on your personal relationships with them. The office has incredibly low morale and is a toxic work environment. There is entirely too much drama and infighting, much of it perpetuated by managers by pitting employees against eachother. Grievances are not taken seriously by managers or corporate human resources and the person brining the complain is often punished for speaking out. Gallagher managers will lie before taking ownership of their own mistakes and the employee suffers for it. Promotions are based on personal relationships rather than merit. When an employee is promoted, they are seldom given proper training and large claim loads are dumped on them with no direction and no grace period to get up to speed. The training is done by other adjusters with their own large claim loads and extremely limited time to spare. There is no accountability, no trust, and no sense of investment from the top down. This has created a non-stop revolving door with a 58% turn over rate. Raises are seldom given and are consistently delayed past their promised date. Training is minimal and does not properly prepare employees for the handling of complex claim issues. Supervisors have a "sink or swim" approach to training new adjusters and you are expected to work as many additional hours as necessary to meet Supervisors spend more time in meetings than they do supporting their teams and only care about quantity, not quality of work (until they need a reason to nitpick). There is a serious lack of communication  more... between management and staff and any attempt to address issues with management is met with passive-aggressive retaliation. Management is manipulative and dishonest.  less
Pros
Holiday parties and occasional "fun" lunch events
Cons
Few/minimal raises, poor management, no transparency or communication, no training, no support, negative culture
Some Days are better than others
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 9, 2017
Depending on which position and what you agree to in your interview will determine your tolerance. Advancement possible for some. Management needs work. Majority office low morale is due to management,load, and compensation. Schedule is flexible.
Pros
flex schedule/lunch
Cons
Increases, management, no organization
Very friendly staff
Temporary Position - Senior Resolution Manager (Current Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILDecember 15, 2016
Most days were very pleasant, however, the workload, as with other companies, is overwhelming and expectations are way too high. I like being busy and I was extremely busy all the time.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
archaic computer system that's not user friendly
Revolving door
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 4, 2016
One of the worst companies that I have worked for in my 20 years in the Insurance Industry. Management are micro-managers where they check your e-mail's twice a day to ensure that you are totally caught up and Gallagher gives their client's was too much control over their employees. Disaster of an experience...Glad I left and am working for a "real" company now.
Pros
Cons
Way to many to describe...Large turn over.
Fun work environment
Lead Resolution Manager (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILAugust 7, 2016
Typical day consisted of lots of phone calls and setting up losses, negotiating settlements. Co-workers were helpful. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the mail. Most enjoyable was the co-workers and managers
Pros
extensive teaching program
Cons
lots of phone calls
Was not hired as a permanent employee after almost one year
Medical Only Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 26, 2016
senior adjustors had high case loads, weekly claim reviews. yearly training. Management experienced and helpful. At times, co-workers were very loud while talking on phone. there was no separate conference room for case reviews. Inadequate conference room for all the employees.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Managing lost time State Workers Compensation Claims.
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 12, 2016
Managing national clients, Autozone, Whole Foods, and several other retail outlets.

Quarterly file reviews, some travel required.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
N/A
Unrealistic goals and expectations
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 4, 2016
I think it's been said in previous posts- Do not leave a company to go to GB.

Claims adjusters are no longer tasked to just concentrating on working claims- Adjusters primary function is to satisfy system requirements so management can run reports to show clients how great we are. Company is losing good employees due to the escalation of non-claim handling tasks and functions required.

Raises are few and far between
Pros
Co workers are nice
Cons
Management overkill and not enough adjusters to handle the work load- raises few and far between
Excellent hours. 37.5hr work week
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale AZOctober 8, 2015
Loved the staff and the work. This is a TPA with many types of clients. Each unique. Enjoyed the experience. Great location, Old Town Scottsdale.
Pros
Good management
Pay for Performance
Claims Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOSeptember 25, 2015
Definitely a pay for performance culture of which I agree with and am familiar with. This is not a place for someone looking for 'a job' just to pay the bills - requirements and job demands are strenuous, but rewarding if you excel.
Helping People
Resolution Associate Level I (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CASeptember 25, 2015
The greatest part of working here is the ability to assist those who suffered an occupational injury. At a time when injured workers feel most vulnerable, we can assist them through the process to return them back to health and their employment to support themselves and/or their families. We can define ourselves by what we do and the ability to provide for ourselves and for others is our most essential function.
Pros
Working with personnel who help you to succeed
Cons
Labor Codes are ever changing
Professional Atmosphere
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PASeptember 20, 2015
Handled claims and processed to the best of my ability. Used computerized claims system to handle cases. Managed time wisely and processed claims as quickly as possible.
Pros
Valued employee opinions
Cons
Furloughed due to loss of clients
Good Company
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILAugust 27, 2015
Great work life balance. Good CEO. Good team to work with. Enjoyed working at the organization. The executive team has good vision for the company but execution could be done better.
Good employer
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Rochester NYMay 28, 2015
A good employer, but the job is extremely demanding and often requires significant amount of time after hours to finish up work
High case loads and long working hours
Sr. Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2015
High case loads, Long working hours, No pay raises in over 4 years across the board, High turnover rate, Low morale. High turnover in staff. Goals that are not attainable.
Pros
Big company, benefits
Cons
High case loads, long working hours
Heavy file load
Claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMay 26, 2015
Worked 40+ hours a week verifying on the job injuries then setting up medical appointments and worker compensation benefits.

I learned to manage a case file load of 100+ claimants. Managed third party investigations, medical appointments and payment of worker's compensation benefits. Managed released to return to work status of each case and kept the employer and the Texas Worker's Compensation Commission up to date of the claimant's status.

Hardest part of my job was when a claimant sustained and severe injury.

Most enjoyable part of my job was being able to successfully get a claimant back on their feet and pain free.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
High stress
Mediocre place to work. Heavy workload, minimal rewards
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAApril 21, 2015
Company demands are at times oppressive. Much of Senior Management consists of Consultants and have no insurance or claims experience. Company rarely gives merit increases
Great place to learn and great relationships with clients
Casualty/Property Field Investigator/Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLMarch 8, 2015
Gallagher Bassett Services handled self insured entities such as municipalities, school boards, religious organizations, etc. The claims handled encompassed commercial claims as well as general liability claims. It was a great platform to learn about commercial and general liability losses, excess carrier and develop relationships with your clients.
Pros
salary was a little light
Cons
great learing experience and wonderful client relationships
Productive work place
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 11, 2015
A very productive work place, teamwork was good, friendly company to work for, problem solving is a must know, customer service business.
Did not provide the training as promised
Senior Casualty Manager, Captive Practice Group (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILJanuary 11, 2015
The job as presented to me was not what it turned out to be. I was promised certain training which I was not given and the expectations from me after being there such a short time were not fair.

I was initially given 3 small captives who seemed to like my work and then given one more small one. Even though I still had capacity and had proven myself with other clients, they did not provide me with additional clients and found I was bored.
Pros
Was hired by a gentleman I worked with 30 years ago
Cons
lack of training, given tasks to perform that were below my experience and capabilities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gallagher Bassett Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Gallagher Bassett Services Reviews by Location