Gallup Employee Reviews

Friendly workplace and flexible hours
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NebraskaMarch 25, 2015
A typical day at Gallup consisted of a 3 to 4 hour time period spent making phone calls to individuals around the country in order to gather statistics for various companies as well as the government. i learned great social skills through my time spent on the phones. every conversation was different and I had to think on my feet to be able to come up with appropriate, intelligent responses. I learned better social skills in a workplace environment and also life lessons from some of my other older coworkers.
The managers at Gallup were very proactive with the telephone interviewers; always willing to help out in anyway possible which made a very comfortable environment for people to engage in conversation.
My coworkers were of all different ages and backgrounds which forced me to step out of my comfort zone and makes friends with people I normally would not have conversed with. The hardest part of my job was handling a bad day at work. My pay at Gallup was not guarenteed and some days I would make very little money. After a bad day, staying motivated was the most difficult aspect of my employment, but on the other hand the most enjoyable part of my job was having a positive day, when i would make more money than I was expected too. Gallup was a constant rollercoaster of positive and negative days that eventually led to my conclusion at Gallup.
Pros
Regular giveaways, and social activities and games
Cons
No base pay, Angry respondents
Best job I ever had because of workplace environment.
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2013
I supported the mission of the organization. I was given clearcut instructions for various projects. There was a sincere opendoor policy with management. I felt I was always respected; I also am very to the point and had professional questions and did not waste time. My individu.al attributes were respected and I was often considered for special projects b/c of my willingness to try new experiences. My work environment and managers really boosted my confidence. I initially found it hard to get out of my comfort zone with new projects, but I was supported by management's availability and other materials supplied by the company. I enjoyed setting my own schedule and having the opportunity to earn bonuses.I worked independently but our center was very social and we all communicated regularly about our responsibilities and encouraged one another. All jobs will at some times be very stressful. But I loved the ownership of my position and comaraderie and competition. I learned I can do so much with proper training, tools and support.
Pros
flexible schedule, feedback meetings, bonuses, great management, worked independently, great coworkers, contacted business as well as consumers, encouraged healthy lifestyle, financial planners, benefits
Cons
lots of sitting, certain times of year productivity slows down
Always have to be worried about your production
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln NEApril 1, 2013
It's nice to be able to come and go as you please but even if you work 7 days a week you may not be able to make your production hours and end up losing your full time position or your job. It is no different from any other call center. If you don't make any surveys that day you are working for free. Gallup does surveys on their employees all the time and data mining you as you work for them. The managers spend all their time critiquing your calls and convincing you everyday this is the best job ever when in reality you could be making below minimum wage and not getting very good leads and there is nothing you can do about it. This job will be perfect for anyone that likes to worry about making rent and being told what type of citizen you should be like and if you don't like getting paid to talk to your manager or for going to the bathroom or for taking any break from the phone and having a perfect attitude in these conditions and enjoy jumping through hoops for very small benefits.
Pros
food, prizes
Cons
no garanteed pay, making up production hours, cult like atmosphere, no job safety
Great job if you are a sit down person...I am not!
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, NEApril 16, 2012
Base pay for part time is 9.75 and base pay for full time is 14.00 which is great except your production hours and your actual hours have to be 100% in order to make that base pay if its less than 100% you make whatever you made per survey but never less than min wage. job security and advancement well there isnt any unless you have a bachelors degree. This is the only position you can work without a degree and thats fine but unless you are going to school and plan to move up you will sit at a stand still. I am in school for something completely different therefor I will never move up which is fine with me. Its a good job for college students that are just trying to get by until they graduate. Management is good at my location they are great at telling you how to improve in a professional manor and also telling you when you are doing a great job. Work and life balance is easy because there is flex schedule after training which is the first 6 weeks.
Pros
good money if you can sit still long enough
Cons
no way to move up unless you get a ba
Decent Company
System Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 6, 2013
Gallup really tries to keep their employees happy. Schedules are flexible and management is overall fabulous. They really strive to challenge their employees without overloading them. Very understanding of any time needed off work and you'll never get a guilt trip. If you do happen to come in on a snow day or something they typically provide free lunch. My only complaint is they might try too hard to push social situations. They have a lot of award ceremonies that typically feel more like a giant lecture than anything. I understand the whole "everything going on in the company affects you" but so much of it is just irrelevant to my position. The pay is also a bit lower than competitors. I think it's just about whether you want to sacrifice a bit of pay for a laid back work place.
Pros
great management, challenging work, awesome atmosphere
Cons
too many meetings that aren't related to my job
Fun place to work, teaches life long skills, always engaged.
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEMarch 10, 2013
A typical day at Gallup would be to interview people on the phone about many different things. Many people assume that Gallup only issues political polls. Recently they have become a consulting firm for many different banks and other institutions. My job would be to call Gallups clients customers and ask them questions on what can be improved, and how satisfied they are with the institution. Obviously, one of the hardest parts of the job was dealing with angry and annoyed people over the phone. Dealing with that helped me to be calm in those situations and to make sure I didn't make the clients look bad. One of my favorite things about Gallup was my co-workers. Most of the time I looked forward to working. I made a lot of life long friends.
Pros
freedom to make my own schedule
Cons
sometimes it was difficult to meet quotas due to less and or already called customers.
High volume call center with an interesting variety of interview topics
Professional Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEOctober 12, 2013
On a typical day, I conducted marketing and customer satisfaction interviews on behalf of major banks, hospitals, retailers, and others.
Performed research interviews on behalf of various governmental agencies, such as the Census Bureau and the Department of Labor.
Conducted Gallup Opinion News Polls, political polls, and Gallup's Health and Well-being Index.
Explained survey objectives and procedures to interviewees and interpreted survey questions to help interviewees' comprehension.
Reviewed data obtained from interview for completeness and accuracy. I learned to deal with people in all walks of life in order to accomplish company goals. The management was very flexible in style. Hardest part of any phone job is rejection, but you put it in perspective.
Pros
flexible days and hours
Cons
no paid vacation, holdiays, etc
Ground breaking way to hire employees
Senior interviewer specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln,NeDecember 11, 2014
Running through satisfaction surveys and public opinion polls with people is often an education. I learned the value of asking the right questions. It is amazing to learn how our brains work and why we are good at what we enjoy doing. Armed with the knowledge from the strength finders, I have been able to position myself in jobs knowing, I could and often have achieved excellence. What a gift! Managers focus on making sure you have the tools to succeed. Your co-workers are very similar to you by the nature of the hiring practices. The hardest part of the job was not always having the day hours available I prefer. The most enjoyable part was having the opportunity to achieve excellence.
Pros
genuine esteem building
Cons
mostly nights and weekend work
Enjoyable work place
Reading Specialist & 4th Grade (Former Employee) –  Ramah, New MexicoJuly 11, 2013
I was hired to be a reading teacher/tutor which was working with small reading groups and individuals throughout the day. Two weeks into my job, the fourth grade teacher quit and two weeks after that I was asked to fill in. It was difficult not having the first month to establish a strong relationship with the students and to suddenly research what the 4th grade curriculum was and to decide on how to best teach it, but it was good to get to know the students better. I truly enjoyed it when a full time teacher was hired three months later and I could go back to what I loved. The principal and other teachers were all extremely supportive. It was a small town and everyone treated each other like family.
Pros
great family environment
Cons
40 miles away from town
Horrible Experience
Associate Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, Lincoln, NEJune 19, 2013
I enjoyed the job until I got a different manager. The new manager was incredibly rude and would go around telling people to get back to work. The company pretty much told me if I didn't start getting more surveys completed then I would be fired. So I quit. They require you to work 20 hours a week. But they don't tell you that you have to get 20 production hours too each week, which means 20 hours of people talking to you on the phone each week. They don't tell you lots of things, you just have to figure it out yourself. The mangers also talk about others personal problems to other coworkers, which is none of the other peoples business.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
management, boring
Productive place for College Students & Great way to meet new people.
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 11, 2013
A typical day at work would include me doing homework while interviewing people on the phones, I always tried to keep myself active either physically of mentally. Management was always great and enjoyable as well as caring and understanding people. The hardest part of the job was trying to mentally stay focused on creating a ebb and flow when it came to taking breaks and getting excellent production. The most enjoyable part of work was connecting with co-workers who were also doing the same job and therefore could relate.
Pros
lots of activities to get involved in.
Cons
as a part-time employee i was unable to work early mornings during the week.
Gallup is a sweatshop environment
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 24, 2012
The job consists of conducting telephone interviews and surveys. Pay is only for completed surveys, no hourly base pay. Equipment and work environment is uncomfortable and unsanitary. Employees are expected to share telephone headsets. The company has a cult-like atmosphere in which employees are expected read books authored and sponsored by Gallup on their own time. The company advises other companies on how to manage people yet they do not follow their own advice. Very high turn over rate with employees and managers. They lure you in with big promises only to discover the job is very difficult and demanding and often unrewarding.
Pros
somewhat flexible hours
Cons
almost everything
Friendly customer call center environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 30, 2013
A typical day at work was interesting and fun because I enjoy talking to customers. Dealing with each customer help me to understand how to treat each customer with quality care. Managed pay at night and input daily earnings. I enjoy working with my co- workers. My co-workers were great team players. The hardest part of the job was hoping that customers will follow through. I worked very well with these customers because I was able to convince them that doing the survey would make their opinion count. I mostly enjoyed helping and providing quality service to customers daily.
Pros
incentives
Cons
commission
Fun workplace, cool enviroment
Bilingual phone interviewer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2013
The management is great they are always ready to help or listen and are very understanding. The best part of the job was you made your own schedule so you work when you can and the coworkers were also wonderful, like a big family. The hardest part of the job i would say was meeting the quotas each night but even that was pretty easy.
Pros
lots of rewards, free food, and bonuses
Cons
nobody likes taking surveys over the phone.
A good place to work
Telephone Interviewer/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 1, 2013
Conduct surveys with Americans daily.
Developed better communication and persuasion skills.
Management was very flexible and understanding.
Great work environment, worked with great and genuine people.
Most difficult part of the job was keeping customers on the line when they felt their opinions didn't matter.
The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to all different type of Americans, hearing their stories and how I was helping them improve their quality of life.
Great at first..., now I can see why it's terrible. They hire people daily and fire people daily
Associate Interviewer (Former Employee) –  NebraskaAugust 23, 2014
Calling everyday random digits. Learned how to never get called by polls or survey callers. Getting 20+ hours done when its 4 pm to late night. No mornings.
Pros
schedule your own times
Cons
breaks, schedule to get in, pay, managers, get fired quicker than you applied
Fun environment, but no advancement without a degree.
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Omaha. West DodgeMarch 27, 2014
Change is consistent with management and structure. Even basic rules changed. Many work-related aspects were done off the clock and therefore not paid. Expectation was to sit at the desk and make calls. Co-workers were great and socialization was encouraged. Some standards were very high and hard to adhere to.
Pros
many fun activities each month.
Cons
pay, low benefits, difficult standards.
Make your own schedule!
Outbound Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 27, 2013
If you want to be your own boss and write your own schedule, this is the place for you. You get paid for how many surveys you are able to complete and you have to push yourself to improve and see which techniques work and which don't. Customer service and general good spirits are very key to succeeding.
Pros
friendly people to work with, easy job
Cons
calling crabby people, getting yelled at and hung up on
GREAT place to work, I LOVED IT!
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2013
Typical day of work was to sign onto your phone and start taking calls Gallup pays interviewrs per complete call and not per hour unless you are working on a certain project that is a per hour project.
The managers were GREAT and understanding, it was just an over all loving place.
Pros
pay, bonuses, just an over all caring place
Cons
sometimes projects were't up when you needed them
Amazing environment
Copy Writer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 5, 2013
I just started about a month ago. Awesome couture. Gallup truly believes in their products and philosophy. They have excellent management. Flexible work hours but I always feel like I'm in the loop. It's a very warm environment. I feel very grateful to be a part of Gallup.
Pros
award ceremonies, recognition, great food, fitness center, daycare, compensation, benefits, health conscious
Cons
nothing