Games Workshop

Games Workshop Employer Reviews

On the Job Fun, if you can stand new policy
Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Jose, CADecember 5, 2014
Pros: you work with your hobby! also fortune 500 benefits
Cons: strict, impersonal, pushing the business side falls on you.
Typical day back in 07 was giving about 5 demo games a day to youngsters, and sell about an average of 100$ in product at the register.

I learned to open up about my inner nerd, to show others why i loved a hobby and not be afraid of the resultant judgements and nerd-calling, to truly be myself and show others what i enjoyed, and get paid for it.

Management had it rough. I worked when there was great upheaval at the company, and policy changed drastically when i left. I'm a fan of the old management, and although gruff, rough, and impersonal, they did their jobs well and maintained a psudo-militaristic discipline to the hires.

Games Workshop, even to this day, retains a completely unique culture you have to experience to understand.Coworkers were all upstanding. Became my friends for years after working.

Hardest part of the job was meeting quotas for sales. Proactive work helped by leaps and bounds, but there was only so many people you could sell a starter set to throughout the week. We were the used car salesmen of the tabletop world.

Aside from that, everyone who took the game seriously enough to come into the stores and play, were GREAT people. You had your fedora wearing neck-beard occasionally, but otherwise the fact that you worked at a place that sold your favorite thing, is an unavoidable plus
Simultaneously an amazing and awful place to work. Probably the shortest job you will ever have.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VANovember 17, 2014
Pros: good discount, good benefits.
Cons: no human connection.
Working at the Games Workshop store on a daily basis was great fun. Met lots of awesome people and talked about the hobby all day.

The bad side was that the company does not care about anything except the bottom line. They do not want you to make friends with the customers. They do not want you involved in the hobby. They only want you focused on selling selling selling. You will have to actively lie to customers on a daily basis about things. Also, average employees get about 6-8 months before they are replaced.

Would not recommend.
Fun community based workplace
On-Call Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee), memphis tnApril 11, 2014
Pros: paid travel, paid training, paid time off, reasonable hours, community building and interaction
Cons: part time or on call hours are not guaraneteed, nor benefits package for part time employment
overall games workshop is a good company to be with. they take pretty good care of their employees. typical days are spent helping customers with purchases of models, paints and other supplies. they train all their employees in their particular sales methods as well the operation of their systems and procedures within their stores. most sales positions are solo operations. the hardest part of the job is managing time with customers to ensure that each person is getting the best service and therefore the best product for them. a large portion of the job is spent demonstrating hobby skills and techniques both in planned in-store sessions and spontaneously as the need of the customer requires. the environment at game workshop really focuses on the creativity of the employee. each store is run a little differently depending on the manager.
Selling Quality Toy Soldiers for a Leading Game Company
Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee), Clovis, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: selling a fun, enjoyable product to enthusiastic fans; excellent health care benefits.
Cons: stores are one-person operations; immense responsibility is indicated.
Games Workshop is a thorough, detailed, highly organized and structured employer. They offer an opportunity to work in the table-top miniature wargaming industry.
Great Place to work!
New Accounts Manager (Former Employee), Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: positive work enviroment, room for advancement, talent and hard work are recognized and rewarded
Cons: the maryland office closed.
I started in their retail chains and ended up as a New Account Manager for the company. It's a wonderful place to work. Clear direction and room for advancement.
good for retail, but still retail
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), San Jose, CADecember 7, 2013
Good place to work, but upper management changes dramatically and completely at random, and makes unreasonable demands upon individual staff.
Fun job working for a great company.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WANovember 21, 2013
Pros: benefits were great. gained experience in many different areas.
Cons: worked alone with limited support.
I truly enjoyed working for Games Workshop and was sad I had to leave. The pay structure, benefits, and day-to-day operations suited me very well. I also got the chance to work with/learn from a ton of highly intelligent, good-hearted people. As a Store Sales Manager, I learned a great deal of business skills that will transfer well into other positions. Over the course of my time with Games Workshop, I also learned a bit more about myself as a professional in the business world. I enjoy providing excellent customer service and having clearly defined goals to work towards. I also prefer to work in teams. The hardest part of this particular job was that I was on my own for the majority of the time. I had to reach out to peers on my own time to bounce ideas off of them and really spark the creativity and motivation that made me successful at the job.
great job nice people
Facilities Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 10, 2013
Pros: great job
Cons: long drive
great people good management really learned a lot would love to go back but was layed off due to closeing of production
Fun Job
Hobby Specialist (Former Employee), Westminster, CAAugust 7, 2013
Pros: great environment, health benefits, full-time.
Cons: low pay, inconsistent policy enforcement.
Job consisted of selling toys to adults and children. Often was the only employee at the store; duties included but were not limited to cleaning, cash handling, bank deposits, event planning, keeping sales high while foot traffic notably dropped. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends while teaching people how to paint, and got to personally build scenic game boards. unfortunately store closed with in a year of me leaving the company. Co-worker turn-over was very high.
Poductive and fun work place
Production Worker (Former Employee), memphis,tnMay 23, 2013
Pros: had fun with fellowship after every anniversary
Cons: the boot camp training
Having peaceful environment to work in. Learn how to do different task. The coolest managers ever. Co-workers some like family. The hardest was nothing. I would accomplish over my production.
Hobby miniatures.
Hobby Specialist (Former Employee), Tukwila, WAJanuary 5, 2013
Great place for the miniatures hobbyist and fantasy gammer.
Agreat company
Construction and Facilities Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2012
Pros: nice poeple to work with
Cons: on call all the time
Agreat company . I knew it would not last when the jobs were done around here.
Poor work environment
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJune 1, 2012
I would not work for this organization again if offered the opportunity.
Great Company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Lynnwood, WAApril 27, 2012
Pros: paid medical, dental, vision
They really took the time to train and advance their, employees.

About Games Workshop

Games Workshop makes the best fantasy miniatures in the world. These miniatures and their supporting books, novels and other products – Read more