Games Workshop Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 14, 2017
You will be running a store by yourself, with the nearest help hundreds of miles and a phone call or email away.

If you are not an aggressive sales person, you will not fare well at this job. They give you tips, but the more aggressive you are, the better you will do.
Pros
Good health benefits, paid time off
Cons
Niche hobby, solo management work
Predominantly solo work with corporate being a good resource
On Call Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 28, 2017
Games workshop is a fantastic company to work for. You get a lot of freedom to run your individual stores in the way you think is best, but there is a great network of fellow employees that are available if you need assistance. Corporate is there to assist you when you need it and takes care of most of the nitty gritty when it comes to stalk of product and ordering supplies for the store. The hardest part of the job is building a community
A glorified toy store
HOC-On Call (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CADecember 13, 2016
Work is straight forward, open till close, count float, complete transactions, fill out the deposits slip, close register. Clean sweep, sell the products in store, give advice and sugesstions to customers. Managment is good and is healpful. Drawback, one person store, durring a rush it can be a bit stressful, especially with some of the more eclectic clients.
Not the best and not the worst I've worked in retail
Hobby Center Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesApril 16, 2016
This is an excellent job if you do not have a family and can work in your off the clock time to market and promote your store, which is expected of you.

Day to day operations are simple and easy to do, but your job is generating new customers and the support from corporate on how to do this is very much hands off and they expect you to take 100% accountability when they do not provide any guidance, even when you ask for assistance.

The people you work with are awesome people in general and I cannot say anything bad about them personally, but their communication and management methodologies are something that needs to be improved on.
A good place to work given some notable limitations.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 16, 2016
Even the most cursory research will probably paint a very mixed view of the working culture at Games Workshop. If this raises concern for you, then I can tell you right now that any pros or cons you will see stem from the company's unique business model. The stores are, at time of writing, mostly one-man shows. This means that you are responsible and in charge 99% of the time, which is as good and as bad as it sounds. The other significant aspect of the business model is the company's vision of the stores as "hobby centers." This means that customers (or otherwise) are encouraged to remain in the store for extended (i.e. all day if they choose) periods of time to participate in the hobby (playing games or building/painting models). All of this alters the usual perspectives on work environment and management. You essentially have no coworkers, but you will see core groups of regulars on a weekly basis, so learning to "work" with them becomes a must (since ideally, you want them to be customers on a regular basis as well). Also, as mentioned, you are the management--at the local level. There is literally no one looking over your shoulder for months at a time. So consider the pros and cons of that. Whether or not you can thrive in this culture will be entirely up to what you are suited for.

That being said, there are several straightforward pros and cons. See the separate fields for those.
Pros
Good compensation, excellent benefits, high level of autonomy
Cons
Little to no upward mobility/room for promotion, growth-driven sales atmosphere
Summary
Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 24, 2016
Fun place to work if you're an enthusiast. Casual, but excellent benefits. Perks are not too bad either. Limited advancement.
Exciting, fun workplace, but definitely not for everyone.
Store Operator (Former Employee) –  Union CityJune 12, 2015
The entire time I was at Games Workshop, it was a company in flux. That means that lots of things have definitely changed between me working there and writing this review.

That said, here's the lowdown:

GW expects a high level of commitment from all of its employees. This can be a positive if you drink their Kool Aid and like the way it tastes. If you disagree with company policy or see a contradiction between the values that management espouses and their behavior, get out before you burn out. Follow those two broad and cryptic guidelines and you'll love working for GW. I certainly did, until I didn't.
Pros
Fun environment, performance-based pay, great employee discount, lots of training, no micro-management, great individuals to work with
Cons
High-pressure sales, no daily interaction with co-workers, semi-cult-like company culture
my job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 4, 2016
i had good organizational skills, great time and project management, and excellent ability to adapt to difficult & uncomfortable situations.
Professional, Energetic, Entertaining
Floating Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 28, 2015
Games Workshop is a very well run professional work place. They have a very energetic and interesting business model. A good opportunity for advancement for motivated and hard working professionals. Other then health and transportation issues at the time I would still be there. Who knows...
Pros
Professional, Management, Advancement opportunities, Interesting business model
Cons
None at this time
On the Job Fun, if you can stand new policy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 5, 2014
Typical day back in 07 was giving about 5 demo games a day to youngsters, and sell about an average of 100$ in product at the register.

I learned to open up about my inner nerd, to show others why i loved a hobby and not be afraid of the resultant judgements and nerd-calling, to truly be myself and show others what i enjoyed, and get paid for it.

Management had it rough. I worked when there was great upheaval at the company, and policy changed drastically when i left. I'm a fan of the old management, and although gruff, rough, and impersonal, they did their jobs well and maintained a psudo-militaristic discipline to the hires.

Games Workshop, even to this day, retains a completely unique culture you have to experience to understand.Coworkers were all upstanding. Became my friends for years after working.

Hardest part of the job was meeting quotas for sales. Proactive work helped by leaps and bounds, but there was only so many people you could sell a starter set to throughout the week. We were the used car salesmen of the tabletop world.

Aside from that, everyone who took the game seriously enough to come into the stores and play, were GREAT people. You had your fedora wearing neck-beard occasionally, but otherwise the fact that you worked at a place that sold your favorite thing, is an unavoidable plus
Pros
You work with your hobby! Also fortune 500 Benefits
Cons
Strict, impersonal, pushing the business side falls on you.
Fun job working for a great company.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WANovember 21, 2013
I truly enjoyed working for Games Workshop and was sad I had to leave. The pay structure, benefits, and day-to-day operations suited me very well. I also got the chance to work with/learn from a ton of highly intelligent, good-hearted people. As a Store Sales Manager, I learned a great deal of business skills that will transfer well into other positions. Over the course of my time with Games Workshop, I also learned a bit more about myself as a professional in the business world. I enjoy providing excellent customer service and having clearly defined goals to work towards. I also prefer to work in teams. The hardest part of this particular job was that I was on my own for the majority of the time. I had to reach out to peers on my own time to bounce ideas off of them and really spark the creativity and motivation that made me successful at the job.
Pros
Benefits were great. Gained experience in many different areas.
Cons
Worked alone with limited support.
Simultaneously an amazing and awful place to work. Probably the shortest job you will ever have.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 17, 2014
Working at the Games Workshop store on a daily basis was great fun. Met lots of awesome people and talked about the hobby all day.

The bad side was that the company does not care about anything except the bottom line. They do not want you to make friends with the customers. They do not want you involved in the hobby. They only want you focused on selling selling selling. You will have to actively lie to customers on a daily basis about things. Also, average employees get about 6-8 months before they are replaced.

Would not recommend.
Pros
Good discount, good benefits.
Cons
No human connection.
Fun place to be at with good pay, hard job to do
Trade Outlet Recruiter/New Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 15, 2015
This place is filled with people who are mostly excited to be there because they have a passion for the product. The problem is that it is difficult, almost impossible to sell Games Workshop's products to people who do not feel the same way about it, never heard of it, think its entirely too expensive, or have had too many bad experiences with the product/company to carry in their shops again.
Pros
fun loving culture, you can wear jeans and t-shirts
Cons
overpriced product with very little demand
Fun place to work...not much room to advance.
New Business Developer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 7, 2015
The environment is great...unorthodox but great. There is lots of young talent and I have a great time at work. Very casual atmosphere...we wore t-shirts and shorts to work. The hardest part of the job was overcoming objections that drew heavily from past business practices. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding that outlet that was ready, willing and able to bring in the product line.
Pros
Great benefits, environment
Cons
Lack of mobility
Fun community based workplace
On-Call Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee) –  memphis tnApril 11, 2014
overall games workshop is a good company to be with. they take pretty good care of their employees. typical days are spent helping customers with purchases of models, paints and other supplies. they train all their employees in their particular sales methods as well the operation of their systems and procedures within their stores. most sales positions are solo operations. the hardest part of the job is managing time with customers to ensure that each person is getting the best service and therefore the best product for them. a large portion of the job is spent demonstrating hobby skills and techniques both in planned in-store sessions and spontaneously as the need of the customer requires. the environment at game workshop really focuses on the creativity of the employee. each store is run a little differently depending on the manager.
Pros
paid travel, paid training, paid time off, reasonable hours, community building and interaction
Cons
part time or on call hours are not guaraneteed, nor benefits package for part time employment
Fun Job
Hobby Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CAAugust 7, 2013
Job consisted of selling toys to adults and children. Often was the only employee at the store; duties included but were not limited to cleaning, cash handling, bank deposits, event planning, keeping sales high while foot traffic notably dropped. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends while teaching people how to paint, and got to personally build scenic game boards. unfortunately store closed with in a year of me leaving the company. Co-worker turn-over was very high.
Pros
Great Environment, Health Benefits, Full-time.
Cons
Low Pay, Inconsistent Policy Enforcement.
Great products - poorly managed
Credit and Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDFebruary 1, 2016
Supervision and analysis of the corporate accounts receivable portfolio

Submission of all analysis of developed receivable reporting to the CFO

Manage receivables averaging $40 million annually with a staff of 5 accounting
Pros
Great product
Cons
Stressed to achieve perfrmace damaging to customer base trust
Selling Quality Toy Soldiers for a Leading Game Company
Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Games Workshop is a thorough, detailed, highly organized and structured employer. They offer an opportunity to work in the table-top miniature wargaming industry.
Pros
Selling a fun, enjoyable product to enthusiastic fans; excellent health care benefits.
Cons
Stores are one-person operations; immense responsibility is indicated.
This was my dream job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 28, 2015
I was at work everyday on time. I loved the people I worked with we got along as a team. We worked hard together to make our supervisor proud of us.
Pros
I loved the Pay! I loved the benefits!
Cons
Customer Service moving away
Great Place to work!
New Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 8, 2014
I started in their retail chains and ended up as a New Account Manager for the company. It's a wonderful place to work. Clear direction and room for advancement.
Pros
Positive work enviroment, room for advancement, talent and hard work are recognized and rewarded
Cons
The Maryland office closed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Games Workshop. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9