Games Workshop

Games Workshop Employer Reviews

Fun community based workplace
On-Call Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee), memphis tnApril 11, 2014
Pros: paid travel, paid training, paid time off, reasonable hours, community building and interaction
Cons: part time or on call hours are not guaraneteed, nor benefits package for part time employment
overall games workshop is a good company to be with. they take pretty good care of their employees. typical days are spent helping customers with purchases of models, paints and other supplies. they train all their employees in their particular sales methods as well the operation of their systems and procedures within their stores. most sales positions – more... are solo operations. the hardest part of the job is managing time with customers to ensure that each person is getting the best service and therefore the best product for them. a large portion of the job is spent demonstrating hobby skills and techniques both in planned in-store sessions and spontaneously as the need of the customer requires. the environment at game workshop really focuses on the creativity of the employee. each store is run a little differently depending on the manager. – less
Selling Quality Toy Soldiers for a Leading Game Company
Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee), Clovis, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: selling a fun, enjoyable product to enthusiastic fans; excellent health care benefits.
Cons: stores are one-person operations; immense responsibility is indicated.
Games Workshop is a thorough, detailed, highly organized and structured employer. They offer an opportunity to work in the table-top miniature wargaming industry.
Great Place to work!
New Accounts Manager (Former Employee), Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: positive work enviroment, room for advancement, talent and hard work are recognized and rewarded
Cons: the maryland office closed.
I started in their retail chains and ended up as a New Account Manager for the company. It's a wonderful place to work. Clear direction and room for advancement.
good for retail, but still retail
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), San Jose, CADecember 7, 2013
Good place to work, but upper management changes dramatically and completely at random, and makes unreasonable demands upon individual staff.
Fun job working for a great company.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WANovember 21, 2013
Pros: benefits were great. gained experience in many different areas.
Cons: worked alone with limited support.
I truly enjoyed working for Games Workshop and was sad I had to leave. The pay structure, benefits, and day-to-day operations suited me very well. I also got the chance to work with/learn from a ton of highly intelligent, good-hearted people. As a Store Sales Manager, I learned a great deal of business skills that will transfer well into other positions. – more... Over the course of my time with Games Workshop, I also learned a bit more about myself as a professional in the business world. I enjoy providing excellent customer service and having clearly defined goals to work towards. I also prefer to work in teams. The hardest part of this particular job was that I was on my own for the majority of the time. I had to reach out to peers on my own time to bounce ideas off of them and really spark the creativity and motivation that made me successful at the job. – less
great job nice people
Facilities Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 10, 2013
Pros: great job
Cons: long drive
great people good management really learned a lot would love to go back but was layed off due to closeing of production
Fun Job
Hobby Specialist (Former Employee), Westminster, CAAugust 7, 2013
Pros: great environment, health benefits, full-time.
Cons: low pay, inconsistent policy enforcement.
Job consisted of selling toys to adults and children. Often was the only employee at the store; duties included but were not limited to cleaning, cash handling, bank deposits, event planning, keeping sales high while foot traffic notably dropped. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with friends while teaching people how to paint, and got – more... to personally build scenic game boards. unfortunately store closed with in a year of me leaving the company. Co-worker turn-over was very high. – less
Poductive and fun work place
Production Worker (Former Employee), memphis,tnMay 23, 2013
Pros: had fun with fellowship after every anniversary
Cons: the boot camp training
Having peaceful environment to work in. Learn how to do different task. The coolest managers ever. Co-workers some like family. The hardest was nothing. I would accomplish over my production.
Hobby miniatures.
Hobby Specialist (Former Employee), Tukwila, WAJanuary 5, 2013
Great place for the miniatures hobbyist and fantasy gammer.
Agreat company
Construction and Facilities Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2012
Pros: nice poeple to work with
Cons: on call all the time
Agreat company . I knew it would not last when the jobs were done around here.
Poor work environment
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJune 1, 2012
I would not work for this organization again if offered the opportunity.
Great Company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Lynnwood, WAApril 27, 2012
Pros: paid medical, dental, vision
They really took the time to train and advance their, employees.
Excellent Company
Global Trade Account Manager (Current Employee), Nottingham, ENGOctober 14, 2014
Games Workshop is a friendly, supportive and excellent company to work for. They really value all employees and have support networks in order to help you advance to different jobs and build on your skills and confidence.
Culture versus Skill
Operations Business Partner (Former Employee), Nottingham, ENGMarch 17, 2014
Pros: good facilities
Cons: disparity in hours, long hours needed for some positions.
What was once an enjoyable and challenging place to work became a place where hard work and loyalty was no longer rewarded. High turnover of staff in a company which rewards veterans with good benefits. Fellow workers makes it a good place to work.
excellent place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee), boltonJuly 21, 2013
Pros: team work and friendships
Cons: long journey to work
customer facing
customer service
excellent, good friend
superb team
long journey time to work
socialising with the team
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), London, ENGJune 21, 2013
By far the best place i have worked, fun and exciting even when shop is empty
One of the most exciting retail jobs
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2013
Pros: amazing coworkers, fun environment, you play with toy soldiers for a living
Cons: lack of financial compensation, difficult to advance
Working for Games Workshop focussed around the recruitment and assistance of players into their hobby. This was done through running clinics, lessons and demonstrations of products as well as coordinating events such as tournaments, leagues and contests. All of this served towards achieving sales goals and recruitment targets.

The team at Games Workshop – more... was always small, not just in the store itself but in the company as a whole, making the company feel very tight knit. Many of the employees who worked there continue to have close ties even after leaving.

The best part of the job was certainly watching the customer base grow and develop. Much of our sales were relationship based. You became very close with some of your clientel over the years and created strong ties.

The only downside to working for Games Workshop was a lack of financial compensation. Even as a manager, I could scarcely afford living expenses with a 1 bedroom appartment. At the time there was no achievable bonus scheme. It was this lack that forced me to find employment elsewhere and I was very sorry to go. – less
A friendly and enjoyable place to work.
Quality Assessor (Former Employee), NottinghamFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: inflexible hours
A generally enjoyable job with some pressure elements relating to time and expected productivity. Quick learning and detailed eye required but nothing that cannot be learned. Polite and reasonable management, very friendly and accomodating co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the uncertainty of secured employment and the most enjoyable part of – more... the job was the atmosphere and the relation with co-workers. – less
Not for everyone but perfect for some people!
Hobby Center Operator (Current Employee), East CoastNovember 20, 2012
Pros: run your shop like a franchise, but with no risk to yourself
Cons: relentless schedule, no co-workers
This job has been a fantastic opportunity to work for a company that is driven to succeed. Training is surprisingly good and the company flies you to skills camps every 4 months.

Compensation is good not great, benefits are amazing so it balances out.

The main considerations in thinking about this job would be patience with your clients, an interest – more... in the hobby (you can't fake it- either you understand your customers or you don't) and the ability to work on your own for long periods of time.

A large part of the job is managing the shop environment and managing your customers, which is not trained for but is an essential skill to have.

All that being said, I love working in a creative environment where I can work with my hands and work with other like-minded people, and I haven't had a single day where I "hated" my job. – less
Fun to work, brilliant staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), EdinburghAugust 16, 2012
Pros: %50 discount, pension
Cons: travel distance
Working for games workshop was an amazing experience. I learned a lot about myself in the work place from them. The management encouraged initiative taking and fresh ideas.

As part of their "flag ship" store it was important to work as a team, strong friendships were built during my time their most of which i`m am still in regular contact with.

I – more... worked a lot with "hobbiests" whom I always went above and beyond to meet their needs as customers but i could always bring my passion for what I do into work everyday which made for a fun and enjoyable experince for everyone. – less

About Games Workshop

Games Workshop makes the best fantasy miniatures in the world. These miniatures and their supporting books, novels and other products – Read more