GameStop Employee Reviews

Found 3,635 reviews matching the search
Seasonal
seasonal employee (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 21, 2017
I was a seasonal employee. I enjoyed my work during the holiday season. I am looking for full time work now. Management was easy to work with as I was an on call employee.
A fun job with a varied customer base
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJanuary 21, 2017
The best part of working for GameStop was the variety of customers you get. Video games are bought by every demographic so there is no shortage of unique experiences and it is never boring.
Game Stop
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 21, 2017
Small company, with limited understanding of how to diversify products and services to meet a dwindling market share.
Pros
intimate setting to provide world class customer service
Cons
short sightedness on growing a dwindling market share
Point of view
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VAJanuary 20, 2017
Just didn't get enough hours I would've like to stayed on and got more experience. I understood it was a seasonal position and I could not stay. I did learn a lot while I was there.
Pros
Liked management and working with the public
Cons
Job didn't last long enough
A Day in the life at GameStop
Seasonal Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 20, 2017
It was an enjoyable experience. I loved helping customers and seeing them leave with smiles on their faces every day. The employees were always nice to get along with, and customers were happy to see me.
Pros
Good work load, fun atmosphere, great employees.
Cons
pay was lacking, as were hours.
Gamestop is a mixed bag
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 20, 2017
Going into retail you expect certain things when it comes to customers and the work environment. The best part of the job is easily the customer interactions and the interactions with vendors. When it comes to the actual management, there is a large missing piece. I worked under 5 different district managers in 6 years and only two of them were competent. The majority of Store managers are equally inept. When you are first brought into the "family" you are sold a lie of job security and wooed by conferences and the illusion of a fun work environment but it is as much a sales job as something like Verison or At&t with the same or higher turnover rate. You can be fired for literally anything without warning, regardless of your accomplishments or skill. The lie that they sell the public and new hires is that it is all about customer service (which is why I joined), but it is actually about signups, reservations, used sales and trades more than anything else.
Paul Raines is the exception, he is genuinely awesome.
Pros
Free games/systems
Cons
No support, no job security, the amount of work for the amount of pay
Learned a lot
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 20, 2017
I have been at GameStop for little for than 4 years now. In just the 4 years the company has slowly been growing in the wrong direction. A huge company should want to expand outward and see their employees doing great things at the stores they run. Unfortunately due to reasons beyond my understanding corporate has cut even more hours from us and makes our schedules for us! Leaving the little teams we have with no space or time for error. The worst part about this is the huge work load they expect to be done that wont get done because we have zero hours to have help. That is also on top of high volume of customers we have each day. Corporate doesn't see you the employee they see bodies to fill voids but the bodies have to have those numbers or else...
I can say I have learned so much about what it means to be a great customer service representative and manager. With the ups and downs comes waves of experience that will carry you onto the next best career.
My favorite part of this job well my two favorite parts are my loyal customers that drive an hour to see me and second the friends I have made while being here.
Pros
discount, game knowledge
Cons
benefits, hours, no home life, unrealistic expectaions
Basic Retail Job
Sales Representative, Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Englewood, NJJanuary 20, 2017
Basic retail job. I sold video games to kids and their parents. Fun time if you're in college or something similar. Not a bunch of advancement opportunity
Simple, yet informative workplace with competent management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJanuary 20, 2017
Rather reasonably paced environment with a fairly generic computer system with an easy to grasp learning curve. Management was extremely helpful and easy to communicate with, workplace culture was supported by the circle of life system, and promoted team building above all else. Having to do on the spot transactions and rather difficult but unique varieties of sales. The training they allot you assists in the comprehension of video games as a whole, and expands your general knowledge of the subject drastically.
Pros
malleable breaks
Cons
unruly customers
Good place to work part time.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 19, 2017
I work at GameStop part time and its great, i really like it but there is not much room for advancement. They have strict hours to give, there very tight about how many hours to give but there will be extra hours on some days. The work place is fun and your coworkers are great, my boss is wonderful. the hardest thing is keeping your numers in sales up, like any sales store, no commission.
Pros
Ten minutes of brake in you only work 4 hours, good work space.
Cons
Need to alphabetize all the games on the walls and in the drawers.
Black Friday
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 19, 2017
It was a wonderful experience. It was definitely busy and very stressful. But we all worked as a team, encouraging each other. Even though there was tension from the stress we worked through it.
Fun & Easy, No pay raise
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHJanuary 19, 2017
I worked there as a seasonal employee and was kept on as a part time employee after the holiday ended. I was always getting shifts gave to me by other employees and worked my hardest, unfortunately, thew whole year I was there I was given only 1 employee review by a manager who was only there for a week then left, and I never got any pay bumps. I always stayed at minimum wage.
Great retail job
Guest advisor (Former Employee) –  Evans, GAJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoyed my job, i enjoyed expressing my love for my life of gaming and anime and sharing it with my coworkers and guests. It is very unfortunate i broke a policy and was terminated, i would have enjoyed seeing where my journey there went.
Pros
Game discount, surrounded by people like me
Cons
lots of filing and grunt work
Working here is not a career
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 18, 2017
They never have a flexible work schedule and always expect you to work to get goals that are hard to meet. Not a career for you to work in, better off looking for a better place than this place.
Easy going job, plenty of fun to be had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alamosa, COJanuary 18, 2017
I worked at Game Stop for a year and I never had any complaints except for maybe the lack of hours. I had another job at the time so for me it was almost perfect. good people, good customers, lots of fun working there and a great way to get a refresher on the alpha numeric categorization. the only real thing that needed to be changed and since has was the target number of reservations and membership applications one had to meet every week. Miss too many weeks in a row and you would lose your job.
Pros
easy going work environment. good customers
Cons
Buying and selling games to lovely people.
Game Advisor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  IdahoJanuary 18, 2017
It was my job to make sure that i provided the best customer service while making service matter. The job wasn't high stress at all until the opening nights of new games that were coming out that hundreds of customers would line up to buy, but it was up to us to make sure that we got through the night as a team and serve the hundreds of people that were lined up at our door as quickly and efficiently as we could. A very fun place to work with great managers.
Pros
lunch breaks, great management, fun work place, healthy work place.
Cons
Lack of hours.
Enjoyable but also quite boring
Game Adviser (Former Employee) –  Lehighton, PAJanuary 18, 2017
I love video games, this was probably the only reason I tried to stick to GameStop. Most work days were very boring and pointless, as I was only a guest gaming adviser. My hours were very short and didn't pay nearly enough.
Pros
Easy job, nice co-workers, you do get discounts as an employee
Cons
No benefits, terrible pay, most of the time there was nothing to do
Selling Fun
District Leader (Current Employee) –  TXJanuary 18, 2017
The company sales fun it is hard work but you are selling fun with consoles, collectables, and games. As a DL you work 45+ hours and are on call 24/7 you lead and coach people to be the best they can be. The job is not always fun and not always easy but at the end of the day if you give it your all you can win.
Pros
Fun, People, LTI
Cons
On Call 24/7, blind shops with no feedback
Loved working for GameStop
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJanuary 17, 2017
This company was exciting to work for. I'm big into video games and I enjoyed being a part of the company. I moved up very fast in this company due to my knowledge and they appreciated me
Good Team
Senior Game Advisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILJanuary 17, 2017
A typical work day at Gamestop is opening the store and the registers. Greeting guests as they walk in and providing answers to their questions. The inner store management are awesome, although the corporate side of it; tends to look at the dollar amount rather than the employees concerns. At my store it is as if we were all a team, we work together to bring each other up and to help each other accomplish goals. The hardest part of the job is having to work on certain holidays, the best is helping customers and making their days better just by treating them like people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.