GameStop Employee Reviews

Department Leader (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXFebruary 4, 2017
Job Work/Life Balance:
Fixed 40 hour weekly schedule

Compensation/Benefits:
Benefits are close to none, Compensation will never be based on quality of associate, but rather the time you spend with the company. Start at $9/hr and make 10 cent to 40 cent raises a year.

Job Security/Advancement:
Job security is there if you don't complain about anything, that is the culture. You will not advance unless you have a friend in a position above yours.

Management:
Management is a joke, nothing will ever get taken care of unless it helps the management get their bonus. Any issues are passed off until it becomes a problem outside of the facility.

Job Culture:
Don't complain and you can keep your job. Don't expect monetary compensation for what you do, and you can keep your job.
Huge sales goals
Multi Unit Leader / Store Leader Mentor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 1, 2017
Most days you spend your day alone with a mountain of tasks to do, or on the weekends, with lines of customers. If you don't mind having huge sales goals with pressure from above, this job is kind of fun.

Store leaders get some pretty sweet perks including free systems and more games than most can play. That kind of makes up for the little to no pay raises and lackluster bonuses.

One thing that many newer managers get stuck doing is manipulating numbers to achieve sales targets. There are some in management that blur the line with behaviors and ultimately put these managers at risk to lose their job.

Find a good District Leader and Regional and you will be fine.
Pros
Store Leaders - free merchandise from vendors
Cons
Little to no payroll support, Monumental sales targets
Great Place to Gain Management Experience
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2017
If your willing to put in the work and commit to the best practices laid out by the company, you can become a store leader in short time. But it starts with you. Being able to achieve your sales goals and then turning around teaching your how your achieving your sales goals are the marks of a true leader and teacher. A job is a job and just because it's in videogames, doesn't make it any less than a job. We have goals to achieve just like any sales position. But doing it with integrity and leading by example are the best ways to build a team culture of winning.
Pros
Freebies, Culture, Guest Service, Health Care, 401K
Cons
Work/Life Balance, Holidays
This employer may only be for some...
Inventory Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXFebruary 12, 2017
Good place to work if you want to learn about this particular industry, and employees are rewarded for hard work and dedication. There are monthly business meetings, where management discusses business needs and changes with the employees, as well as hold monthly drawings for Perfect Attendance and Employee of the Month. As long as you stick to yourself, and do what you're supposed to do, you have nothing to worry about. The workplace culture is disgruntled, which is why I say "stick to yourself," or at least stick with the positive folks. I've worked for companies that were far worse, yet employees complain about the smallest of things. Work is pretty steady during slow season, and pretty demanding during busy season. Bottom line, you come in and do the task, and don't let the task do you...
Pros
Work 4 days a week (depending on department), rewards for dedication, and a learning experience
Cons
Pay is so-so, benefits are so-so, angry employees, and there are brown nosers
Highly competitive retail environment
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Advancement was simple for high potential individuals. The at-times strenuous work environment is encouraging to newer hires eager to impress, but does become faded after a while without any consistent praise. Stores are personal and can range from warm and welcoming to predatory. It all depends on the people. The most enjoyable part of the job was providing true solutions to my guests because it was genuinely the best solution, not the most profitable one.
Pros
free games and vendor gifts for Store Leaders
Cons
Constantly replacing goals. Negative feedback loop.
Moderate
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2016
Overall, I did not hate my position in the company. I in fact enjoyed my job thoroughly. I had a very good position in my store and felt I did a great job guiding my employees and teaching new hires to be strong salesman and saleswomen. A typical day consisted of opening the store alone and stocking the store properly. This amounted to inventory checks, receiving product, and taking care of customers. A great deal of my time was spent training new hires, interviewing potential hires, and scouting for new hires. I like to consider myself a very people oriented employee and therefore enjoyed the company of my co workers. The hardest part of my position was how often I spent working alone. The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers. I enjoy talking to and making my customers smile.
Pros
Discounts, Checking out games.
Cons
Short Breaks, no benefits, often promises of bonuses and prizes that never arrived.
Great time at Gamestop
Store Manager Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bradley, ILSeptember 28, 2016
Regardless of the social perception of Gamestop, the company was fantastic to work for. One of the only companies that really did value it's employees (at the full time level). The had a competitive salary, bonus potential, and room for advancement if you're willing to relocate.
I had several mentors who were fundamental and phenomenal in my early development. They took a vested time in me and my career and put me in place to be successful.
I enjoyed the atmosphere of talking games and pop culture with the customers. My co-workers would be just as equally as engaging.
As a member of management, it's a fantastic opportunity. Be willing to do whatever they need, get outside your comfort zone, and be willing to travel. If you do, the doors are unlocked for you.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, great customers for the most part, early access to some game items, fun
Cons
Payroll is always short, don't expect hours unless you're mgmt, working holidays without shortened hours, switching decisions just to switch them back
Very unique and challenging workplace environment with mediocre corporate leaders
Senior Game Advisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Seymour, INJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work is to handle customers and keep the store organized and running smoothly. The job itself is fun and provides challenge, however, the company is a difficult one to work for, I'd say, the majority of the time. GameStop tries to be a versatile company with many different sales options and varieties of product and yet, does not put forth the effort to train their employees with something new(ex: Cricket) and then comes down on employees when sales do not meet the goals. I have a hard time talking about my job here because I love the store, and I love my co-workers, however, the company itself is hard to work for.

The hardest part of my job is the lack of opportunity to better myself. GameStop does not offer many chances for advancement or raises and therefore you remain in the same position for a very long time. Not much feedback is given to you and you are not exactly able to better yourself often.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of the video game community. It's a fun workplace!
Pros
First dibs on new titles and gaming merchandise
Cons
Benefits, salary, management
Ok Job for people who needs a Job/second Job
Keyholder SGA (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLJanuary 8, 2017
The co-workers I started out with were great. The typical day as an SGA if opening counting the safe, doing trade bin, beginning the day setting the pace for the day ahead. For closing, breaking down the registers and making sure the store was prepared for the next day. The customers are awesome its just not much room for advancement and raises in addition to no overtime allowed or its grounds for termination or write ups.
Pros
Game Rentals; Manage (conference)
Cons
No Overtime ; Hours fluctuate frequently.
Get to be nerdy about games all day
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, MNJanuary 5, 2017
As a gamer working for Gamestop has been very enjoyable. Days are all in all the same. As a guest adviser I clock in, help guests find games or recommend some based on their interests, take phone calls, answer questions people have about games or systems, take in trades on games, clean the store if its a closing shift. The manager has been there since I was a kid and is very good at being a leader. Co-workers are easy to get a long with. I enjoy recommending games or systems to people and hearing that they enjoyed them.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible schedule, easy place to work
Cons
no benefits on lower positions, hard to move up positions
An organized but profit driven company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 11, 2017
Ultimately this company can be fun and very interactive with its customers. However on the corporate side of things it does not matter how friendly you are or how many customers you help or how hard you work. You are required to up sell 4 very specific things that many customers are not prone to buying. If these sales cannot be met, hours are cut and eventually termination. These things are also often in fact out of the employee's hands and up to the customer to decide if they want.
Pros
Great customer interaction, friendly employee's
Cons
Lack of benefits, slashed hours if you cant sell pro memberships and preorders.
Overall a good experience
SGA, ASM, SM (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 16, 2016
*typical day at work would require the receiving alone of up to 30 boxes and shifts were often worked alone for lack of hours to give to employments supplemented by salary management working upwards of 60 hours a week.

*I learned a lot about management, both what kind of manager I wanted to be and what kind I did not want to be. I learned how to be the right kind of leader for multiple different types of people and that everyone has their specific needs and finding the balance between what the company needed, and what my team needed.

*Most of the managers and district managers that I met and worked with were a pleasure to know and learn from

*The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people and convincing angry customers from other locations to start shopping with me instead and helping them become happy.
Pros
Working in the gaming environment, the employees, working with a team of like minded people
Cons
Not enough hours even when successful store to give team members, not enough team players, perception was treated better than success
Not the worst
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 31, 2016
Overall, being a part of the company has many perks. As a manager we have a yearly conference that is located in California or Las Vegas where we get advanced knowledge & testing of everything coming out in the year. The benefits offered to full time employees are really fantastic too.
Working your way up the ladder is difficult though, as many managers do not make it up to District Management prior to 10 years in the field.
I liked my job, but in the end was just a number.
Benefits
Cons
Just a number
Good part time Job
Senior Guest Adviser (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NCSeptember 8, 2016
A typical day usually involves me taking over as the closing manager. I get a summary of the day so far and what is expected of us a store and what I need to get done for the day. The day then just involves helping guests and trying to get tasks done if we have the time.
Over the years Management has fluctuated from good to really bad but for the most part I have worked with great individuals that made it fun to work at Game Stop which is still currently the case. I work with men and women who help each other whenever we can and as a unit we are very effective.
The hardest part would have to be: dealing with bad guests. The most enjoyable would have to be sharing the knowledge that I have so people can make informed purchases.
Pros
Rent games for 4 days at a time, 15% discount, and benefits
Cons
More is expected out of us without compensation
Learned a lot
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 20, 2017
I have been at GameStop for little for than 4 years now. In just the 4 years the company has slowly been growing in the wrong direction. A huge company should want to expand outward and see their employees doing great things at the stores they run. Unfortunately due to reasons beyond my understanding corporate has cut even more hours from us and makes our schedules for us! Leaving the little teams we have with no space or time for error. The worst part about this is the huge work load they expect to be done that wont get done because we have zero hours to have help. That is also on top of high volume of customers we have each day. Corporate doesn't see you the employee they see bodies to fill voids but the bodies have to have those numbers or else...
I can say I have learned so much about what it means to be a great customer service representative and manager. With the ups and downs comes waves of experience that will carry you onto the next best career.
My favorite part of this job well my two favorite parts are my loyal customers that drive an hour to see me and second the friends I have made while being here.
Pros
discount, game knowledge
Cons
benefits, hours, no home life, unrealistic expectaions
Dead end job.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PAJanuary 13, 2017
This was a job working for a company that cares very little for its employees. Between ridiculous holiday hours and just as absurd regular hours, the job is extremely stressful. District managers constantly stonewall employees for promotions regardless of their tenure, goals met, etc. The only reasons to stick around in this job would be the discount and benefits.
Pros
The discount.
Cons
Just about everything else.
Fun place to work if you love video games.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 25, 2017
On a typical day a shift could last anywhere from 2 to 8 hours. Peak hours are managed by up to 4 employees. During the busy season i.e. holidays, the job can be a bit overwhelming. However, at the end of the day you can still get excited with customers about video games and upcoming products.
Pros
15% discount on video games and an hour lunch per 8 hour shift.
Cons
No job security or benefits.
A Good Start
Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIJanuary 13, 2017
Gamestop doesn't have a lot of area for growth, but as a job to pay for college, or to retire to it has a lot of benefits. Mainly that most people who go into the store are there because they want to be and have an interest in the products. I can't remember a single negative conversation with any customer.
Pros
Great work enivornment, staff are always knowledgeable
Cons
low pay, no professional advancement
High maintenance, Stressful, Occasionally enjoyable?
Senior Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 7, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is engaging, fun customers who love talking passionately about their interests in upcoming games! My co-workers are all fun loving guys who always get the job done, and do their jobs well. The job in itself is enjoyable. I've learned many things in my time at GameStop, such as valuable customer service experience, becoming a quick learner, and how to handle stressful situations! A typical day at work for me includes getting incoming inventory taken in, dealing with customers, cash handling, answering the phones, organizing, re-organizing, and dealing with solving customers' problems. The managers are pleasant to work with and do their jobs well. The district manager is a different story, he hinders our ability to do our jobs effectively and knows very little about the work we do. The toughest part of my job is keeping up with his demands of how our store must look, operate, and function in general. The Pros far outweigh the Cons the longer you stay at the company, and the benefits provided eventually lose their charm.
Pros
Sometimes get free stuff, fun customers, employee discount
Cons
Stressful, poor upper management, low pay
Productive work during busy hours, but corporate management doesn't stay consistent with decisions.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Springdale, OHNovember 2, 2016
The staff is always great to work with, but upper management could do with some practice on positive reinforcement. Constant feeling of not doing well enough brings the morale of the store down.
Pros
Fun staff
Cons
Little praise, low pay, and corporate refuses to fix or upgrade outdated things in my store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.