GameStop Employee Reviews

Rough place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 18, 2017
Company does not care about employees. Staff overly pushed to do extra sales portions of a job and they are not given any bonuses for these actions. Very difficult customer base as well.
poor upper management = poor work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milford, DENovember 18, 2017
Constantly on the verge of losing your job over something silly. Never trust upper management when they say they would get something done. 95% of the time it does not and you pay the consequnces.
Great for a First Job or to Compensate for a Part Time job.
Senior Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, KYNovember 17, 2017
Great for a First Job or to Compensate for a Part Time job, but definitely not something that you could pay for your life off of. It might be feasible for a part time college student suplementary income, it can be stressful and corporate are greedy as ever, but the employees you work with are splendid.
Started out alright, eventually transitioned into terrible.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 17, 2017
Worked for the company for many years. Company's vision of the future requires more payroll and less tasking, but unfortunately, that is the exact opposite of what is happening. There are too many responsibilities and no reward. Getting to Store Manager can be easy, but moving up after this is an butt-kissing affair.
Pros
Free games for Store Managers, Good Benefits
Cons
No payroll, Only judged on sales performance, Working Alone, Too many tasks
Fast-paced work environment focused on selling culture and positive guest interactions.
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Seekonk, MANovember 17, 2017
I have always enjoyed working for GameStop, because it's seemed like a "family" to me. Typical days involved interacting with guests while simultaneously completing daily/weekly tasks, checking in daily shipment, managing inventory, and developing associates. As a Store Leader, you have to wear many hats, and you are consistently busy without much time to stop and think. Hardest part of the job is keeping up with constantly shifting focuses and new sales promotions that rely heavily on extra leg work on the store's end. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping all of the guests who walk in leave with a smile on their face by getting exactly what they wanted and needed.
Pros
Managers fly to conference annually, free games/merchandise, full medical coverage available, fair and reasonable manager requirements.
Cons
Too much product/tasks being sent to stores without enough space/time to properly manage it, unreasonable expectations around certain tasks.
Working at the store great, corporate is a headache
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Herkimer, NYNovember 16, 2017
I had fun working at GameStop, but the only things that I didn't enjoy were the lack of hours and the fact that at the corporate level whoever was making some of the primary decisions needs to stop and think about what people would want to actually see when they go into their local GameStop and not be hounded by a random employee trying to keep their numbers up and not have to be coached or have a fear of it hurting their overall team effort for the store.
Pros
fun environment, not to difficult
Cons
Col, lack of hours, pushy policies
Terrible company
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLNovember 16, 2017
Barely paid for the work you're required to do. Hours aren't reliable and you're probably never going to get a raise. It can be fun working there if you work with the right people, but usually it's the worst. Corporate has unrealistic expectations of employees and doesn't remotely care about anyone's well being.
loved it
Retail Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Muncie, IN 47304November 15, 2017
miss working for them. was my all time favorite job. bosses were great, co workers were awesome, never streesed out. midnight releases were my favorite part of my job.
Depends on Your Region
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Avondale, PANovember 15, 2017
Experiences can vary greatly depending on who your district manager is. My personal experience was not a pleasurable one and I often felt more like a number on a page than an actual person. However, if you do well, you will get a pat on the back.
It is a business
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2017
Great place to work if you have the right staff in place. Very competitive and ability to sell is a must. Moving up from entry GA position to store manager is possible but takes time, desire and consistency. Must be a people person and know about the products you are selling. Pressure will be on certain times of the year to perform and you must be able to adapt to changing environment as the business model is shifting due to digital downloads. I suggest this as a first job or for anyone who has previous retail and/or management experience and is looking to bring their talents to a new company.
A Productive Day
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2017
Hardest part of the job is keeping track with all the new video game their features compared to past video games. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with coworkers and working together to accomplish task.
It prepares you
Sales Associate/Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 15, 2017
It's a good starter job to prepare you for bigger positions in the retail world. Working with my co workers was always a fun experience I've never had any issues with whom I am working with.
Good place to work with the right manager
Sr. Analyst - Finance and Omnichannel Operations (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXNovember 15, 2017
Though it is a fun place to work, career advancement is non-existent and they will often put individuals in charge of departments who have no idea how that department works or what is required
Fun job depending on staff, but low paying.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioNovember 14, 2017
This job is great if you’re 18-20 and just need a few hours to help pay for a hobby. But hats about all you’ll be able to pay for. I love my team but I personally only make 8.15 as a GA (salesman).
Pros
30 minutes break every 6 hours. Discounts.
Cons
Low pay.
Entry Retail
asl (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 14, 2017
Entry level retail even for the highest field position. Expectations set to extreme, unattainable standards. Non-competitive wages or sales. Employees get along well generally.
not a great place to advance your career
Game Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kenner, LANovember 14, 2017
not a great place to advance your career, job seems like a complete deadend and a waste of time at times, no hours and very low pay, would not recommend
Don't Expect to Get Anywhere
GAME ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCNovember 14, 2017
I've been with the company for several years now, with the same two managers. I know the system and how it works. Not once, not twice, but several times I have been passed over as an assistant manager because "I already work a full time job". They never spoke with me one on one about the position, nor asked my opinion on it. They would rather hire seasonal employees and make them managers and have ME train them, then just promoting me. I do A LOT of the "managerial" stuff only to be paid a little over minimum wage.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
You won't advance anywhere
Unnecessarily stressful
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saline, MINovember 13, 2017
This position wa unnecessarily difficult. Corporate is very inconsistent and inflexible. Everyone who works for this company for too long gets the life sucked out of them. This company does very little to help is store managers.
Okay for entry level, bad for mid and upper career level.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXNovember 13, 2017
Great place as an entry level job and for part-time for all positions except ASM and SM positions. Pay is low for all positions as well with 20k being average for ASM. While tasks are simple at the GA and SGA level, ASM and SM are constantly put under pressure to meet various sales number goals. Depending on the location of the store will depend on how challenging that could be (small town means more regular customers who already signed up for all the sales gimmicks the store has to offer), yet every store is held to the same standard of numbers. This can mean angering and annoying customers by constantly pushing them for sale add-ons These customers are more likely to give negative reviews on surveys and survey averages are also monitored closely. The no overtime rule for most positions, and the strictly allocated hours for each store also means SM's must work extra hard to meet demands due to the fact that they are salaried and expected to be the ones to work overtime. They work under a lot of stress for pay that does not meet all the things they are responsible for and do. SGA and GA positions are often given very low hours (20 or less) to work every week. These positions also seemed to have a very high turn-over rate. For me, it was the team that made it great to work and not exactly the company itself and overall the experience was okay for what it is.
Pros
Free promotional stuff, flexible schedule
Cons
Employees various sales numbers are constantly monitored and recorded
If you love video games, it's the place to be.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 13, 2017
A typical day at work is mainly basic retail duties, such as operating the register and providing customer service, but I've learned a lot about video games and gaming consoles. All of your co-workers love video games, so it's always fun to talk about them during a lull in the workday. The hardest part was keeping up with the fast-paced workday, while maintaining normal duties.
Pros
Free game rentals, first look at new games.
Cons
Short lunch breaks, minimal smoke breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.