Gander Mountain Employee Reviews

Good while it lasted
Camping and Footwear Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYFebruary 22, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Gander Mountain. They provided supervisors with opportunities to learn more about the products the company sold and companies that provided them.
Loved the products and the customers.
Zone Manager (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXFebruary 21, 2018
I loved working with the customers who came in all of our locations. As we sold products considered luxury items to most and not necessity, the customers were always excited when they came in.
Good place to learn and good Managers, Pay wasn't the greatest
Firearms Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 12, 2018
Good place to learn and good Managers, Pay wasn't the greatest. I feel like they focused more on selling pro plans and getting good "baskets" than actual customer service.
Pros
Friendly environment, good managers, learned a lot
Cons
Pay, Indifferent about company goals
good company
Customer Service Representitive (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 12, 2018
gander is a good company. nothing fancy but it seems to be a fair company. management has a fair attitude, employees seem nice and friendly. the hardest part is getting the store set without planograms.
Pros
discounts
Cons
discounts not applicable to firearms
It was a great place to meet new people,everyone who workeed there was very pleasent to be around and helped eachother much as possible.
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLFebruary 12, 2018
It was a great place to work if you loved the outdoors like fishing,hunting and camping. My co-workers always made my day .The managers were always so helpful in anyway possible and really took care of their employees .
Pros
The assisting managers were on top of anthing that needed worked on or helped with
Cons
30 mintue lunches, the main manager was always rude
gun sales are cool
Firearm Sales (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVFebruary 9, 2018
the store was okay it wasn't great but it could be worse i had fun it couldn't have been much worse but it wasn't the worst job ever no fun no cool people no fun
Pros
the store shut down
Cons
the store shut down
Poorly trained Management
HUNTING/FIREARMS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 7, 2018
When I first started at Gander Mountain I loved it. After several changes in store management it just got worse and worse. The environment became hostile and I left after repeatedly being blamed for the ineptitude of the store manager. This store has since been closed.
Being able to talk about what you love doing all day with customers and associates
SOFTLINES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  PAFebruary 6, 2018
Basic day in retail management. Open the store, get the registers ready, and do the deposits, morning meetings, walk the store through out the day ensuring everyone was working. Knock out side projects set from up above. Help customers. The usual.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
healthcare benefits werent great
Baseline Sales Associate Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 5, 2018
As a sales associate, my main duties included selling credit cards, meeting product/accessory sales goals, managing and maintaining my departments, and a few miscellaneous tasks (organizing back-stock, cleaning, etc.) The employees at the store where I worked were not particularly friendly or outgoing. Merely a decent part-time job while I was in school.
Pros
Nothing major
Cons
Low starting income, disorganized management, over-pressured employees
N/a
Firearms Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHFebruary 4, 2018
The company went out of business do to the owner mismanaging it. I had a great store manager and enjoyed my job. I would like to have worked longer.
Good people, bad company.
Firearms Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXFebruary 3, 2018
The employees I worked with were pretty great for the most part. The upper management was pretty much garbage, however. They didn't care and drove the company into the ground.
Entertaining and fun!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXFebruary 1, 2018
Days would consist of helping customers and leading the department. Had a great number of employees and managers. During are days and nights we would have awesome times being able to work and have fun at the same time.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits, flexability
Cons
Stressful
nice place to work, fairly competitive work culture that brought out the best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 31, 2018
Nice place to work, fairly competitive work culture that brought out the best. The only downside is everyone is only given 20 or so hours a week unless you are a manager.
Pros
Its not that hard to sell in GM people come there to buy
Cons
very few hours make it hard to stay
Such a Beautiful Store to see Fail.
Clerk/Fishing Department (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 30, 2018
Typical day at work was very stressful,constantly stalking customers,had to gain certain amounts of product protection plans by the end of the day with no customer base to do so.Management were not cooperating with associates nor customer needs
standing
Tech Specialist, Photographer (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 29, 2018
everyday business was poor. Difficult to location management. lack of communion on sales and discounts. IT difficult to contact. location was shut down
Pros
worked with a santa claus
Cons
extremely difficult to contact management
Fun and interactive workplace
cashier/fishing/hunting/footwear (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAJanuary 28, 2018
Assisted in all areas of the store including cashier, stocking and inventory.
Design and layout departments. Knowledge in fishing, hunting, camping, kayaking and gunsmith.
Fast paced retail environment
Challenged in closing credit card applications
Enjoyed engaging with customers and assisting them in their purchases.
Pros
Discount off store items
Cons
Different hours during the week, inability to climb the ladder
Horrible Place to Work
Giving excellent customer service to all customers (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJanuary 27, 2018
This company has been shut down recently. So there is no reason to really look at this for any reason. It was just an awful place to work and I am glad I left when I did because they went bankrupt.
Good Riddance
Firearms Associate (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 27, 2018
Very happy to see them go bankrupt. Refused to listen to employees who actually deal with the customers and instead put all of their faith in selling high interest credit cards
fun job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 27, 2018
worked with coworkers sales, cleaning bathrooms, running a floor scrubber, cashier, assisted in sales picked up garbage in parking lot, worked with cleaning products
Pros
fun job
Cons
low pay
part time
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  huber heights ohioJanuary 27, 2018
was a good part-time job while attending college. The company closed after I left there to attend nursing school. I heard that when they closed they were helpful to their staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gander Mountain. Our community is ready to answer.