Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain Employer Reviews

Awesome Place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Hardlines) (Former Employee), Wichita, KSApril 10, 2014
Pros: great discount
Cons: na
If you are an outdoor enthusiast it is a great fit. Great work life balance for retail. Management helps you develop and get to where you need to be to advance. Wish I wouldn't have left.
Low-stress, engaging workplace
FISHING ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Marquette, MIApril 9, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, generally pleasant customers
Cons: poor management at the corporate level
A typical retail job, dealing with the public and making sales. The quotas that are put in place for selling protection plans and credit cards can result in termination if not met even if an employee is successful in every other aspect of the job and can result in hours being cut. This is the biggest flaw in the way the company is run, along with the – more... fact that those at corporate ship pre-determined items to the stores rather than allowing for store management to order what is needed. – less
firearms sales
sales-firearms (Former Employee), knoxville, tnApril 4, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: environment
6 managers were fired while I worked there. Not a good place to work.
Metrics, Metrics, Metrics!
Associate (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: discount, better than average benefits
Cons: lack of payroll, unorganized direction from corp, out of date operational systems
Be prepared to hear the words Metrics a lot. Store and individual performance is based off how well you promote and sell the Gander Credit Card, Firearm warranties, and Extended warranties on store product.

Corporate created programs are rolled out before they communicate the information about such programs to the stores. Operational changes are made – more... before the stores have the materials for the changes, and are still judged on how effective they execute them.

Software systems are out of date, and constantly crash making any task take 3 times as long as it should. Departments are always understaffed due to a monthly decrease in payroll spending, regardless of increasing company profits.

You should expect to work all major holidays. Stores are open all national holidays, with the exception of Christmas.

This is very much a "From the Top Down" company. Meaning there is extremly poor communication between the stores and corporate. Company is constantly changing direction and focus, and doesn't maintain that focus for more than a few months before changing again. – less
Poor management, and zero opportunities for advancement.
Firearms Sales (Current Employee), West Palm BeachMarch 19, 2014
Poor management, and zero opportunities for advancement.
Lots of great people to work with even though its understaffed at times
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee), Tonawanda, NYMarch 17, 2014
Pros: very good discount, great employees
Cons: often times understaffed, overly emphasized importance of metrics
Usually I come to work and have some project to work on which makes the time go by fast. When there are customers to take care of many of them are very nice and its good to talk to people and help them out. Gander Mountain has really helped me break out of my shell. I started off in customer service and was able to work my way up to footwear sales making – more... commission within a year. My co-workers are probably the best part of the job and I have made many good friends by working at Gander. Management is overall good, but can put a lot on few people at times, and metrics such as credits and summits becomes more important than customer service (not good). The footwear supervisor is incredible and the hardest worker in the store. She is a great person to work for and with in order to create a department we can be proud of. The hardest part is maintaining the footwear average which can be a bit unattainable on slow days. The best part of the job is being able to get good discounts on fishing and hunting stuff and having fun with the people that work here. – less
ok place to work
Customer service (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXMarch 12, 2014
the company seems to take some atypical approaches to handling inventory and it makes life hectic in the store. every one has 60-80 hours of work to do on a less than 40 hour a week budget.
Productive, Fun, Low income though
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms (Current Employee), Green Bay, WIMarch 4, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: no raises or reviews
Very nice company to work for. I liked the benefits and discounts offered. Only bad thing was no reviews or raises were given.
Fun workplace and good people to work with
Archery Technician (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PAMarch 2, 2014
Pros: working with knowledgable associates
Cons: holiday shoppers
Liked working with the public and making friends with them. Management was fun
Fun Place
Zone Supervisor (Former Employee), Aurora, COMarch 1, 2014
Pros: everything about it
I loved everything about Gander. The people were the best. In a short time, I worked with 3 different managers. Two of the three were great; the third was appropriately dismissed. Although I haven't been there for quite some time, I am still in contact with several people who still work there and many who have since moved on. If I could find another – more... atmosphere like that in my field, it would take an army to have me removed! – less
Fun Workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee), Tonawanda, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, great benefits after a year.
It's a great place to work at with customer service. Normally working, daily you take care of customers and ask customers for credits & summits. The hardest part is getting customers to sign up for credits cards and making the amount of goals each month and day.
Great co workers and fun workplace.
Merchandise Assistant (Current Employee), St. Cloud, MNFebruary 20, 2014
One of the main reasons I have stayed at this location is because of my coworkers. I have made some of the best friend. The customers are great as well. It is one of those places where you are excited to go to work in the morning.
Casual Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Texarkana, TXFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: laid back work environment
Cons: inconsistancies in store look and layout.
Gander Mountain is a nice company to work for. I enjoy the fairly relaxed dress code, and the company does seem to do a nice job in trying to educate employees on the products carried.
Too concerned with credit cards and extended warranties
Firearms Sales (Current Employee), Tonawanda, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: good discount
Great place to work. Nice stuff goods co-workers. Too much emphasis on after sales stuff
Very well organized and kind management, shady business practices.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: pay was only $8.25 an hour but commission was available.
Cons: a specific manager was bad, and the lack of discretion towards who could and could not purchase firearms was very unnerving.
The people were nice, but I could not in good conscience sell firearms. Too many people came in that were either shady or obviously should not be allowed to purchase or own a weapon. A lot of laws are in place to make sure that only lawful people should purchase firearms, but only a few actually do anything to prevent this. The rest of it is the salesperson's – more... responsibility, and that just did not happen at the Gander Mountain I worked at. Sales associates would sell to anyone without any discretion.

There was one manager that was verbally abusive to employees and would treat them poorly and as if they were stupid before they were fully trained, but I have heard he does not manage anymore. – less
Privately owned company
Soft Lines Zone Manager (Former Employee), Cicero, NYFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance
Cons: doesn't always promote from within
Perfect company for the outdoorsman. Great work/life balance. Upper management is all relatively new to the company. Fun place to work. Doesn't make it a priority to promote from within.
enjoyable workplace environment, fun customers
Footwear Sales (Current Employee), Joliet, ILFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: positive work environment, good management, generally excited customers
Cons: corporate focus on metrics and the negative trickle-down effects
this is generally a very positive work environment,and the customers tend to be excited about their purchases. That being said the management corporate culture is very focused on metrics. The pressure to achieve certain goals within the organization is expressed from the management down to the employee level. Certain positions within the company are – more... stressed to produce credit card applications an extended warranty's. while the work environment is positive if one under produces, the management is sure to let you know of your shortcomings. – less
Great inventory of firearms.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: great inventory
Cons: pay
Gander Mountain is a great place to shop for hunting and shooting equipment.
Great work atmosphere and helpful environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chambersburg, PAJanuary 30, 2014
I truly enjoy going to work. I have a great staff that surrounds me and a great clientel that frequently visits.
Does not follow through on what they say
firearm salesman (Former Employee), MichiganJanuary 28, 2014
Cons: not properly compensated no job security. does not appreciate service members
I worked for this company for around a half of a year I worked my tail off as a firearm salesman to exceed my quota and please my managers they never showed gratitude and they did not compensate me for what I was owed to this day they still owe me over $300 in commission that I was never paid
Then when I left for military reasons (being a member of – more... the national guard I didn't have much of an option) I left for about 3 months and when I came back they told me that I quit and forfeited my position which I never did I told them I would be back in a few months but they would not give me my position back. I will not go back to this company they do not appreciate their service men and women and they treat them like trash.

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!! – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain has got the gear to get you out of the office and up the mountain. The company operates nearly 120 outdoor sporting – Read more

Gander Mountain Photos