Gander Mountain Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Zone Manager Softlines (Current Employee), st augustineJune 26, 2015
I take everyday and make it the best day I could have possible whatever thrown my way! I started as a part time customer service associate, went to the apparel department, became the apparel supervisor, then worked my way up to the softlines manager (assistant manager). I love working with the customers helping them find what they came in looking for. I love meeting new people and learning from them. I also love visual merchandising. My co workers are awesome! Management is great also! The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my job is taking care of the customer and helping them leave a happy and making sure they become loyal customers and making my department look great and also being a leader to my fellow associates!
Great Atmosphere and gain a lot of knowledge
Signing Specialist (Current Employee), Huber Heights, OHJune 24, 2015
Pros: flexible and consistant hours
Cons: pressure from "big wigs" i.e. district supervisors
Standard retail experience
Nothing too challenging
Executives at Base camp tend to micro manage and make quick almost pointless decisions, but the management in the stores are solid workers and make the experience better
Overall, great job to have during schooling and gain knowledge of outdoor activities
Good employees, bad management
Firearms Sales Associate - Part-time (Former Employee), Opelika, ALJune 16, 2015
Fun place to work. Management was not the best. Good discounts make up for low pay. Customer service is a must. Fun getting to help out customers and just talking about firearms.
Sales
Firearms Associate (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIJune 16, 2015
Pros: Employee Discount
Cons: Short 4.5 hour shifts
Enjoyable place to work. Enjoyed working with co-workers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with disgruntled customers who could be very mean and rude at times.
Very Fun Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 11, 2015
Pros: Good boss, lots of hours
Cons: Will fire you if you mess up once
Easy job to have if you are a student or family person. Management is really fun and the job is fairly easy. You do have to meet quotas but it is a pretty loose system. Boss is really fun.
Productive day.
Customer servise (Former Employee), Waco, TXJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great employees.
Cons: Not enough customer employee ratio.
Opening the store would consit of cleaning area, stocking items, and making sure custmers will have a pleasnt visit. Every day was something new to learn because if I wasn't busy in front end I would help around store where I was needed.
Very stressful place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Lakeville, MNJune 7, 2015
Pros: I got a discount on purchases made there
Cons: They would not work with me on schedule changes due to change in college schedule.
A typical day meant being short staffed and having too many responsibilities for the position I held. A typical day was answering phones, completing returns and sales transactions, and issuing hunting or fishing licences, all at one time and sometimes that was when I was the only one scheduled for the better part of the day. This meant backed up lines if a customer had no idea what they needed for a license, and being responsible for all incoming calls, and calling for backup and not always getting a response. All this while various management personnel is screaming in my radio earpiece to get the customer to sign up for a credit card and threatening my job if I didn't get the required quota for the day, something everyone was suppose to be responsible for. I was very, very good at my job and changed up my sales tactics all the time to try and get customers to sign up but sometimes they just did not want them. It angered me to be treated like I was doing less than my best especially when I was very good at what I did. The hardest part of the job was dealing with disgruntled customers who could be very mean and rude at times. I would tell them what our company policy was regarding their issue and I was even forced to call management a time or two for really riled up customers, who just did not like to hear what our policy was and what I could or could not do to help them out, no matter how friendly, polite, courteous, and helpful I tried to be. What I did learn from this was to hone my skills on multi-tasking, to listen very carefully to customers, and to learn to assess each – more... situation and person and make sound decisions in a very friendly helpful manner to ensure the customer was happy and wanting to come back and continue shopping there. I learned to also work very efficiently with my co-workers during busy hunting, fishing and the Christmas seasons. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job was just working with and getting to know my co-workers and learning from them better ways to do my job more effectively and efficiently. – less
Relaxed atmosphere
Footwear Associate (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJune 4, 2015
Wasn't too serious of a job but wasn't too laid back. Some days were more challenging than others. Some customers were more pleasant than others.
Overall not bad
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), BeaumontJune 4, 2015
Pros: Decent discount, decent break time, worked with schedule
Cons: Rarely a raise, cut hours, A/C never seemed to work
I enjoyed my time working here for the most part. Its a good place for HS and college students to work. It was sad how upper management seemed to change a lot in my time here. I definitely experienced hours being cut but that isnt this one stores fault. The big bosses( i.e. CEOs) do not care for this store how they should. It needed a lot of updates and we had to beg to get much there.They always worked with me when I needed time off,thats so appreciated!
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee), Albany, GAMay 29, 2015
it was a productive and enjoyable place to work. Really enjoyed working with my co-workers. Never had a dull moment on the job.
Great place to work!!
Pricing Specialist/ Sales (Current Employee), Corsicana, TXMay 28, 2015
You are constantly working on something, I learned new things every day. The management there is great!!! Everybody there gets along very well.
Great workplace with a great atmosphere
Customer service (Former Employee), Woodbury, MNMay 28, 2015
Pros: Great discount, time off is usually approved.
Cons: Too much emphasis on selling credit cards
You help customers find items that fit their outdoor needs. You build a relationship with the customer to help them find what will work best for them. You work with other outdoor enthusiasts to help other people get products to fit what their outdoor needs.
Decent
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), Peoria, ILMay 25, 2015
Stress store credit card more than anything. Co-workers are great. Management kind of sucks. Customers are mostly nice.
Very hectic and fast past workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee), Forest Lake, MNMay 22, 2015
everyday was something new and that was okay. The people were great but the management could have been a little bit better but overall great place to work
In a shopping center. Free parking.
sales associate (Former Employee), Rochester, MNMay 17, 2015
Pros: The discount is o.k.
It is a good place to work if you like to sell products to customers. The scheduled hours can vary. Nights and weekends are likely.
Great place of work other then drama in the work place
Apparel Associate (Current Employee), charlottesville vaMay 16, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: not enough rules followed or managers setting a lead
I never know what department im suppose to be in when I arrive to work nor do I know when im suppose to work my schedule changes with out me knowing.
customer service (Former Employee), Flint, MIMay 14, 2015
Gander is very unorganized, management can be rude and condescending, there is a high turn over rate in this store there was apparent favoritism.
Depressing Work Place with Low Employee Morale
Commission-based sales (Former Employee), Mooresville, NCMay 14, 2015
Pros: traveling for work
Cons: short breaks, no benefits, no raise, managers don't care
I did a lot for this company. I ran an entire department on my own, I was inventory captain, I trained new employees, I was sent to other stores to remodel, reset or help open new ones. I worked in the cash office counting the deposit and vault. I was awarded employee of the month, but that only got me a plaque on the wall. I was named top 5% in product expertise in the ENTIRE company. I led sales for a while, and was great at handling difficult situations. I came in at 5am twice a week to unload, process, and stock freight according to company standards. After 2 and 1/2 years they still refused to give me a raise. Even a penny. While everyone else around me was getting raises. They played obvious favorites and even admitted to it. There are no benefits and they give you a hard time for everything no matter how great you do your job.
customer service associate
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Jackson, TNMay 14, 2015
I love the place . I did really good at selling products there. It just got where to far to drive for 16 hours a week. The staff was great to me so was the mangers.
Picker (Former Employee), IndianaMay 13, 2015
Pros: Three day work week
Cons: Bad management.
I started out palletizing every day. Then, the company became short handed on employees and it became chaotic. I was shuffled around from day to day in and out of different buildings.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain has got the gear to get you out of the office and up the mountain. The company operates nearly 120 outdoor sporting – Read more

Gander Mountain Salaries

Sales Associate/Customer Service
Zone Manager
$45,500 per year

Gander Mountain Photos

Having some fun during Hattiesburg's Grand Re-Opening!