Gander Mountain Employee Reviews

Management can be uptight and don't know how to schedule people for work, but the workplace itself is fun.
Firearms Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 13, 2017
This workplace is young and still has a lot of work to do to improve everything. Overall not a bad place to work for part time. Management does not know how to schedule full coverage and spreads employees too thin. But most of the time, as long as you know what you're doing, everything goes very smoothly.
Pros
Full time associates get PTO, steep discounts through manufacturers
Fun and friendly work enviornment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 27, 2017
I always felt welcome in the store (even before I worked there). The workers were friendly, helpful, and encouraging with my training. The management were very understanding, helpful, and worked around my schedule when it came to school, appointments, etc. The environment was very upbeat, happy, and I just felt like I fit right in as an employee.
Pros
lunches on holidays and special occassions
Cons
not enough hours for me
A company trying to find its way.
Assistant Store Manager/ Hardlines/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAFebruary 3, 2017
Constant change in core directives makes this career a challenge. This young company has had a high turnover rate at the top and with that comes enormous waves of policy changes. Although I did enjoy my time there, having a clear vision on how you want the company to operate, and having processes nailed down would make this a long lasting career.
Pros
Healthcare, exciting products
Cons
Low work life balance for managers, constant changing corporate management.
Gander Mountain is a challenging place to work.
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 25, 2017
Gander Mountain has lots of advancement opportunities for people who want to apply in different stores in different states. The policies and computer systems are changed and updated so often that the company can not keep up with it. Turnover is more than 100% at most stores per year.
Pros
Outdoor retail with no sporting goods separates this retailer from others.
Cons
Policies and best practices are constantly changed, Stores are terribly under-staffed for the sales volume and department resets.
Out going
Cashier/Customer Service/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Geneva, IL 60134January 28, 2017
If you are an outgoing youth, have a 2nd job or only want a hobby job, this is for you. You must know your hired area very well or your customers will eat you alive. There is minimal training, so you really should know your job before you get there. The District Manager rocks though and he will treat you with true respect.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
(store level) management doesn't show respect to the workers (unless they are the manager's pet)
Unhappiest employees on earth.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 23, 2017
Not only have managers at every level been jumping ship, but employees at Base Camp are as well. No advancement for women in this good ol boy company, so don't listen to their lies. Spent the better part of a decade working 50-60 hour weeks and being paid for 40...not to mention no holidays off or holiday pay. This company gives retail a bad name.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Healthcare, unreasonable expectations, execs all from famous failed company.
my first job
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 22, 2017
I was a stay at home mom and they gave me a chance to work for their company. There was parts of the job I loved. I love talking to the customers, helping them find stuff. The hardest part of the job was taking all the returns and stuff in the back and if it was defective make a sticker for it .The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. I learned how to run a cash register and a lot of other things.
Pros
company discount
Cons
short breaks, some rude workers, some lazy workers, not enough hours
Good starter job or end of career job.
Sales/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALFebruary 14, 2017
Trying to stay busy during slow time was hard.
The thing that I learned the most was the people and customers were great to be around.
Local Mgmt.t was good, but the upper levels treated the people like lower class.
Most employees were younger less experienced in life.
There was really nothing hard about working there.
Talking to the customer and bonding with them.
Pros
A place to work
Cons
Not enough pay.
Not what it's cracked up to be!
Firearms Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 18, 2017
As long as there are lots of customers there is a chance to be happy. An immense amount of pressure is placed on associates to get "metrics." The company did not study the demographics of the area before opening this location. The potential customers in the area are not aware of the store after 5 months. All the local competition has better employee perks with less stress. Gander wants knowledgeable employees, with proper compensation.
Cons
1% commision on firearms sales.
Productive and Fun place to work
Firearms Sales Associate, Receiving crew member (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 17, 2017
Gander Mountain was a great work experience, but the Gander mountain's focus was not on the right things. Instead of focusing on customer service and selling firearms, it was focus on "sales. Such as credit cards, accessories sold with firearms, etc...
Pros
Work environment, associate teams, receiving team, and receiving supervisor
Cons
short breaks, pay, Higher management, service to miniorties
Gander Mountain is a privately owned outdoor retail company.
BATF Associtate - Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 26, 2017
Gander Mountain is a Mid to High end outdoor retailer that is branding to become America's Firearm Super Center. A typical day begins with a morning crew meeting and instructions of the priorities of the day as well as some product training. While with this company I learned a great deal about the firearms industry as well as Federal Regulations and practices.There has been a high level of turnover at the management level and this has created "growing pains" within the company. It is a retail environment in all that this entails concerning sales and metrics.I made many good friends from the crew and customers in 3 years that will last for the rest of my life.
Pros
Pay scale, discounts
Workplace filled with many different attitudes
Firearm Sales (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIJanuary 9, 2017
Gander Mountain is a workplace where it can either be very fun or extremely frustrating. Often times customers get very impatient and upset with the employees, and instead of upper management siding with us and listening to our side of the story, they jump to conclusion and blame the associates. Sometimes it is an extremely fun environment but when managers only care about numbers, even know there is no reward for the employees, it is very irritating.
Pros
Great Online Employee Discount.
Cons
Low Pay, They eliminated Part-Time employee PTO, Unfair pay throughout each department, Management
Range Supervisor Gander Mountain Academy (PT) (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 6, 2017
I work as a Range safety and a gun salesmen.I didn't really know a lot about rifle and handguns but the guys i work with behind the counter and in the range really helped my out in learning everything i need to know about the firearms we sold the paperwork that i needed to fill out to sell the firearms and how to teach classes at the range really enjoyed it there
There were many great discount benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNDecember 27, 2016
A typical day consisted of helping customers determine what gear would best fit their situation and needs. I learned a lot about dealing with individuals even when they are not the most pleasant. My co-workers were great and I stayed in contact with many of them long after moving on from Gander Mountain. The hardest part of my job was dealing with customers who were upset with rules set at corporate headquarters. The most enjoyable part of my job was reaping the discount benefits associated with working there.
Customer Service
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVFebruary 28, 2017
I worked in the same position for four years. I only got basic pay raises and even though I requested to move I never actually was even though my performance was higher than anyone else in my position for which I was congratulated often, but never really rewarded for. On your feet for the whole shift. Okay for part time but would not recommend full time.
Good place to work where there is always something to do.
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2017
-Log into OMS which has a list of things to do and when they are due. Get started on the list based on due date. If something needs to be shipped out such as firearms or clothing, it takes priority.
-I learned a lot about firearms while working there. I had never been in receiving or done any clerical work before that either so I learned how do do that as well.
-Management is alright. There is quite a bit of turnover for management at this store so there isn't an accurate way to measure them. The two that have been there the longest are fair and do a good job of running the store.
-It is a fairly relaxed culture. It has gotten a little more strict recently since a new general manager has taken over. Very pro gun, for obvious reasons.
-Selling protection for firearms.
-The variety of challenges every day.
Under staffes in certain areas
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIFebruary 14, 2017
When I worked here I was at the front and that included greeting every customer, making licenses, cashing people out and answering the phone. It was overwhelming at times due to having to wait for a manager to clear certain transactions and the phone ringing constantly. It's a very busy place at times and they need more than one person in the front area.
Company is greedy for holidays/time off
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INJanuary 31, 2017
My only issue was when I needed a day off or when the holidays were coming. I was unable to obtain the days I requested off or shifts I requested even a month in advance. Newer employees were given better shifts on Thanksgiving Day etc.
Pros
The people I worked with were great, it was corporate that was the problem.
Cons
Scheduling
Company is geared toward money without regard for employees
Hardlines Zone Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 8, 2017
This company is only worried about dollars for the owner. The store I was I had 70 employees, of which only 8 were full time. They believe in keeping employees at less than 20 hours a week and only slightly over minimum wage. Benefits are only for the elite full timers.
Pros
No comment
Cons
Not a friendly place
Not the right place to be
Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLDecember 3, 2016
It was a fun place to work until they changed store managers. Now it's more of a dictatorship than a team. Employees are leaving left and right because of the stress that's put on them when they dont meet metrics. You have to tell them you are stepping off the floor to use the bathroom. They have unrealistic expectations and when you dont meet them after busting your butt to try and get stuff done. They focus on what wasnt done and make you feel like horrible. They don't realize that management is the problem not the employees. You can't run a store by putting people down.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Store manager, no advancement, poor attitudes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gander Mountain. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8