Gander Mountain Employee Reviews in United States

Fast-Paced Environment
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 21, 2016
A day involves stocking products, labeling accordingly and greeting customers. Metrics drives everything Gander Mountain does. A lot of pressure on associates to push reward and protection plans on customers. Management tries to keep a fun and enjoyable work environment but there is always things that need to be addressed. Co-workers are great and tend to be positive. Hardest part may involve trying to keep things organized in the store and the most enjoyable would include working with the colleagues. Great attitudes and hard working.
Pros
Fast Paced, Cool Store
Cons
Pressure to get rewards cards and protection plans
Fun and productive work enviroment
Footwear Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 19, 2016
Working commission supervisor of the one of the largest footwear departments in the company. I have been a top performer in the store since I started, beating sales records for the store, district and for highest sales in one week in the history of the company. Supervise up to 6 associates, training on sales techniques, inventory management, customer service and merchandising. I am a key holder for the store, responsible for opening and closing, cash audit and communicating daily sales figures and customer issues and compliments to corporate.
Pros
Worked with others that were passionate about the outdoors
Farthest thing from Customer Service
Zone Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaApril 19, 2016
This company is about the farthest thing from customer service out there is. The managers here only care about their credit cards, summit protection plans, conversion and surveys. If you aren't about selling these ad on items, DO NOT work here. This place will threaten your job every chance they get because anyone that doesn't buy into their program will not work there.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Management, Policy, sales culture
Great culture, highly sales driven
Firearm Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXApril 13, 2016
I really enjoy working with people and customers apart of or interested in gun culture at Gander Mtn. Management pushes selling of credit cards and protection plans really hard. Sometimes it feels that sales is the priority and not customer service.
Pros
fun environment, commission, interesting product
Cons
not customer service oriented, low pay with no raises, higher prices compared to competitors
This is not a company you will be happy working at.......
Construction Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 24, 2016
Be aware of senior management's uneducated sporadic decision making and poor business acumen. Culture is chaotic insanity, no systems and no training support from managers or executives. Integrity and ethics do not apply across the organization.

If you want a job with no future, apply for this one............Good luck!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Under-educated managers that only care about themselves
Poor management
Customer Service & Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 27, 2016
Poor management has led to a severe lack in drive by lower level employees. Opportunities for advancement are very poor. They will hire a new person for a higher position instead of promoting employees who have served time in a low level position. low level employee ends up teaching higher level employee. No positive reinforcement for a job well done. Plenty of negative reinforcement when not meeting Credit Card & Summit Protection plan goals. Even as far as "No break until you get two summits and a credit"
Water is no longer allowed on the sales floor, and you are put down for asking to be relieved for a drink of water. A new unreasonable rule comes down from corporate every day.
Pros
Good discounts on products.
Cons
Poor Management, treated as toddlers.
Wonderful place to work and experience new things.
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 17, 2016
Management is very horrible and very unorganized. Management have their pick and chooses of who they want to give hours and credit to.Working at Gander Mountain I learned a lot of new things about the outdoor world and experiences. I would not recommend anyone to work at the Gander Mountain in Mobile,Al. I have started their since we opened the doors a year ago and since they have allowed new management in, it has gone down the drain and they are losing a lot of their good workers for their selfish acts.
Pros
Gained wonderful friends who were my coworkers. The environment and experience was awesome.
Cons
Managers showing favoritism, the co-workers and employees are not shown respect form the store manager.
This company needs a little help
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 22, 2016
I am always on my feet doing a lot of different jobs. I learned that my honesty and ability to work hard at this job gets noticed sometimes. I love the people that surround me. Their is no hard part of my job its more of doing everything at the same time; that sometimes gets a little difficult. I enjoy seeing the people I work with.
Pros
knowing about the apparel
Cons
having to do the jobs I wasn't trained to do
Employees dont matter
Fishing Sales (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Former employee. Laid off from one day to the next. I was an exceptional employee. You get worked like a dog for the low pay. Management is a huge issue as these personnel don't have a clue about what they're doing. Well being of employees is not taken into consideration as they only care about making money even if employees have serious emergencies. They found odd reasons to lay people off. Half the store was released since they don't profit much and the only thing keeping the store afloat is the firearms sales with their high prices.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Management, work environment, pay
It's ok
Firearms Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 13, 2016
Great people to work with scheduling is not perfect and you have to stay motivated to complete your job assignments and deal with rude customers but hey thats life. But have to sell those credit cards and summit plans along with your sales baskets...
Pros
Good Management, great people, get discounts
Cons
Not enough pay, poor schedules, and have to keep up with you sales basket.
Very unprofessional company to work for
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  WaukeshaJanuary 22, 2016
I worked for Gander Mountain for 5 years. Worked as a seasonal employee and worked my way up to a zone supervisor. If you like having to push credit cards and protection plan's, working without breaks and lunches,and not being noticed for your hard work. then gander mountain Wil work for you. Manager's are rude,inconsiderate, and verbally abusive. Moving up through the company is not easy.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management and corporate unawareness
Great Co-Worker & Management Experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAJanuary 13, 2016
Gander Mountain is a Great place to work. A typical day is enjoying the work and face to face experience with customers. The management team is one of best. Always an open door policy and understanding. The hardest part of the job was the new credit card sales quota which determined you hours for the following week. If business was slow so was our opportunity to sell cards to customers. The best part is the reward platform when goals are met as well as encouragement from co-workers as well as managers.
Pros
Great co provided lunches during holidays and the friendly work envirornment.
Cons
Lack of hours and increase in wages
not bad-typical retail
Cashier/Customer Service/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Lakeville, MNApril 13, 2016
Was typical retail store. Started out as cashier and customer service then got to move to receiving and shipping, which I loved. Only reason I left was because I needed something that worked more with my sons school schedule
Pros
advancement opportunities, great co-workers
Cons
hours cut after christmas
stressful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 5, 2016
the job training is not good at all you hardly get trained in on your job you are expected to figure it out yourself. the managers can be really cool and fun to joke with but when it comes to getting stuff done they are really slow. the co-workers are fun and easy to get along with.
Pros
the bosses
Cons
2 15min breaks and a 30min break
Easy place to work, Customers made it awful.
Fishing Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dickson City, PADecember 29, 2015
Gander Mountain was a very easy and relaxed place to work. The training was horrible however. You had to have an almost expert to help customers. If you said something like "I'm not sure", or "I do not have experience with this specific item" some customers just loose their temper and get angry with you. Other customers were very appreciative and loved all the help.
ok place
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYFebruary 14, 2016
hective, stable an productive all at the same, was better when first hired than was when I left. good co worker however management needed to be more understanding and more concisdent.unloading the tractor trailers with only 1 or 2 people instead of required amount set by the corp office
Pros
great benifits
Cons
good breaks
computer system a little dated. especially since everything is done on line
asst. store manager softlines (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2016
great people, fun environment, would work there again. benefits are good. not a lot of hours to work so have time for things after work. advancement I don't really know for sure. district manager was great. the job culture was relaxed and fun.
Not the greatest work environment
Zone Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNDecember 6, 2015
This company is ran by many people that allow things to go on that should not take place in a work environment. I watch multiple harassment problems that were swept under the rug and allowed the people that were doing them to continue to work while coming down on the parties that reported the problem. I also watched a management staff ignore problems at the store level and blame there subordinates for things that they could not get done.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Horrible hours and it feels like working in a high school
Joke
Firearms Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Gratiot, MIMarch 25, 2016
Management is pitiful and rude to its employees. Had been lied to multiple times including that I would be part time and that they didn't hire holiday help but then was let go immediately after Christmas. Training is not in there vocabulary and refuse to answer questions or be of any help.
This company sucks
Zone Supervisor - Firearms/Hunting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Corporate is oblivious to what goes on in the stores day to day even when they ask store level employees they dont care what the answer is and then they do what they wanted to do any way.
Pros
Talk about guns all day
Cons
their solution to everything is to fire you or make you quit.