Gannett Employee Reviews

Management was out of touch
Outside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDFebruary 11, 2016
The job was exciting and fulfilling, however, management was not open to new ideas and cultivating a quality work environment where employees could work in a fashion that felt as if management trusted in the competence of the empoyees.
Pros
Freedom to pursue accounts and clientele of choice
Cons
Oout of touch management
Good and Bad-Just Like Anywhere
account executive (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Fortunate in that I had a strong, smart manager. Not everyone does. Gannett is like many large public companies in that shareholders come first e.g., keep costs low, lots of reports, top-heavy, slower to react than one might like.

You get out of it what you put into it, to some degree. My suspicion is that corporate culture varies from market to market. I would keep this in mind as you continue to read.

Admin Compensation: Many office roles pay hourly, including using timecards. Sales compensation is base-heavy: Be sure you understand the structure before signing on, as each year it could become more difficult to make money. Highest sales from previous year become minimum goal the next year. (+) Not anyone's fault. Just the way it is. Hard to see the logic in a top producer staying past two years but they do.

Super products you can believe in. Editorial quality is superb, award-winning. Company committed to online content and marketing, especially video. It uses a fair amount of freelancers in niche reporting but has a strong presence in investigative journalism at a time when so many major media companies have shuttered their investigative groups. Reporter Compensation: Average, but then who gets into Journalism for the money? If you're looking at Gannett for editorial work though, you better have your content marketing hat with you. There's an expectation that you not only produce high quality pieces but that you actively work to promote them via various online tools.

First-rate training provided, online and lengthy, but excellent. Two stars on work-life
  more... balance is my problem, not yours. Good luck!  less
Pros
quality editorial, respected name, job security for those who DO their jobs
Cons
below average health benefits, some compensation issues
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Fremont, OHDecember 15, 2015
I am a Territory Sales Manager in charge of numerous inside and outside sales people.
I train my salespeople in Salesforce as well as every other aspect of the job.
Dont do it
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 10, 2015
I hated this place. Staff, upper management, customers. Very unorganized and not very flexible when it comes to personal issues outside of work.
okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 4, 2015
I liked the job itself but it was a hard company to work for I enjoyed my co workers and it was very diverse, young and older people i learned alot from my peers and meet a lot of good people
REGIONAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 20, 2015
I worked for the newspaper for nine years. However, when Gannett purchased it from Digital First Media, they reduced staff massively across the board. Many people have lost their jobs and there is little that is handled locally. The managers that are remaining have done little to improve working conditions or profits.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
NO job security, management is very incompetent
Fun place to work with room for advancement
AR/Cash Application Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2015
Fun place to work with internal employees and external employees.
I learn so much about the broadcasting industry during my employment. Fair with advancements and salary
In house sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 13, 2015
We logged into our PC and checked our emails,and sign into our assigned campaign and made our calls. Our atmosphere was very laid back. We had very knowledgeable and understanding supervisors, who didn't police you ,(for lack of a better term) but gave you space to learn. We would meet up with our supervisor weekly in thew beginning to go over our overall performance on our calls. To see if we needed improvement or just to congratulate us on over coming objectives.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere, vac, personal days, weekends off
Cons
NA
Productive place to work.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill NJNovember 10, 2015
Evaluate and determine the proper preparation of all electronic documents for images and print medial for newspaper.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 10, 2015
Enjoy working at Gannett. A lot of customers call about their newspaper account. Nice environment. Helping others that take their newspaper very serious is the most enjoyable part.
Gannett
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 7, 2015
I have had a great experince at the site i was at, i learned how to help customers with the billing and subscriptions. I also loved the people that i worked beside i not only had friends there but poeple that were there to help if i needed it. also i loved the way that they set up to get comminssions every period which i did
Pros
great experinece
Cons
Better Salary
Fun people to work with while gaining good experience
Key Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 5, 2015
Gannett DESC is a great atmosphere to be promoted quickly and learn a lot. Everyone is very helpful, and it is a good work atmosphere.
Was happy but changes in ownership cut my position.
Audience Development Manager (Current Employee) –  York, PAOctober 27, 2015
YNC was a great place to work. Not easy, but challenging. I was able to stretch and grow. It was very sad to hear that my job, along with many others, would be cut.
Pros
Community involvement
Cons
Structure
Great and talented people
Account Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2015
People are awesome and talented
Management doesn't invest in their people and don't really care about them.
Great clients and projects
Large Company
Marketing & Consumer Insights Strategist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 12, 2015
Great group of talented folks. I assist all of the Account Executives with strategy, developing effective presentations, and closing sales. I'd say there could probably be more "remote" days incorporated into my schedule, but that's just not the culture developed here.
Pros
People
Cons
Commute, payscale favors sales not mgmt at all
MultiMedia Company
TNMedia-Digital Sales Strategist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TennesseeOctober 7, 2015
News and Information provided to Middle Tennessee and a suite of over 160 products that are available to clients in the form of print and digital media advertising. They can be a one stop shop for clients looking for a total agency feel.
productive an fun place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 27, 2015
Fun, Dynamic and Flexible!! Challenging days are met with a supportive team of leaders and peers who are dedicated to solving implementation problems as well as client problems. Overall it is clear the culture is focused on bolstering creativity and client satisfaction while having a great time doing it!
Productive and Inspiring work place
DISTRICT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 23, 2015
I love my job at Gannett Publishing, however, working third shift really does not fit my life style. It is a great company to work for, but you always feel like your job is at risk due to the economy.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
third shift hours
productive and fast paced
Transportation Lead and Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 15, 2015
good company decent benefits full time is worth it if you live in nashville. trucks run when taken care of. generally when you start your day you preload trucks and then you have down time before the press starts.
It's a job that pays the bills
Courier Journal (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 4, 2015
The attendance policy needs to be revamped but its a job and it pays the bills. I wish the attendance policy was a lot different
Pros
bonuses
Cons
attendance