Gannett Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Balanced but diverse: productive customer service
Train and supervisor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 21, 2017
Overseeing, helping and training others to improve their customer service skills on the phones. While such supervision can be challenging, the most rewarding experiences involve the development of relationships with people. You have an opportunity to truly make a difference in the lives of people.
Internal Audit
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 20, 2017
Interesting job that involved plenty of travel to fun locations. Get to learn many different sides of the business and truly feel like your work is valuable. Good culture, management, and great co-workers; it feels like Gannett does want to invest in its employees. Salary was a bit low compared to area average though.
Great people / colleagues
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2017
During my time at Gannett I had the opportunity to work with so many amazing people. People who are sincere and genuinely care about one another. I've supported incredible women in power who I respect and trust wholeheartedly .Through the furloughs, turnovers, layoffs, reorgs and company splitting the people are the main reason I stayed with Gannett.

The work culture is another reason. Having the flexibility to work from home is a great benefit and widely accepted.

Unfortunately I cannot give the same positive feedback regarding senior management post company split. Transparency, empathy and respect for loyal employees is sadly non-existent, The priority is the bottom line and keeping their high salaries and stock options over taking care of the people that make things happen - the employees. .

Pros
People
Cons
Senior management
compensation, management, goals,
Advertising Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INSeptember 14, 2017
Since I've been employed with Gannett I have seen several changes in the business. Declining staff, office relocation, management changes, work load expectations changed, the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people in the community.
Laid Back Work Environment
Graphic Artist 2 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 11, 2017
Laid Back Work Environment, work with scheduling, no micromanaging, work at own pace, needs better pay, needs more growth opportunities, overall good place to work.
Good company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 10, 2017
Overall it is a good company to work for. The job is very relaxed in certain aspects. This is a good option for someone seeking a second job for extra income. The management is fair and easy to access if you have any concerns or questions.
Cons
lack of hours
Great Company that Needs Improvements
Social Media & Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 7, 2017
USA TODAY NETWORK has a great company culture that is a big reason why it is a great place to work. The people are what makes the company. There is constant talk that if there's a job you want and it is not there, they will create it. Although, often times people found it challenging to even move up within the company. For a news organization with 100+ locations there should be more diversity across their local properties. Some managers are better than others but there needs to be mandatory management training as it is best to be able to know how to manage people if you are a manager. Especially, when it comes to communication and career advancement. Then heart of the company is in the right place.
Pros
Great coworkers, office space (standing desk), work life balance
Cons
Lack of Transparency, typically hire people they know, lack of upward mobility
Horrible place to work
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Erlanger, KYSeptember 6, 2017
Expect you to do the job of 2 people for the barely the salary of one. Management(if you want to call it that) never shows up.
The hours are horrible, never have weekends off unless you burn you personal days or vacation time.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Everything else
laid back
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 31, 2017
it's not bad, depends on where you work, at my location it's laid back but you also have to be quick on your feet and need to be able to fix your equipment without having to think about it
Pros
401k and insurance
Cons
short breaks and short lunches
Had a great career. Worked 48 years until they closed the plant
Shift Superviser (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJAugust 29, 2017
I started working for the Asbury Park Press in 1969 in Asbury Park when i was 18 years old Started as an apprentice in the print shop and worked my way up as an assistant foreman in 1990. After that I became a shift superviser in 1995 and continued in that possition until the plant closed down on June 2017.
Pros
Good working envirement
Cons
No pay increase for 8 years
Stay away from a dying industry.
Observer & Eccentric Newspapers (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 23, 2017
Constant layoffs as revenues continue to shrink. Unreasonable goals make it difficult to hit commission payouts. It is a dying industry with no career growth.
Fast-paced. Sometimes frustrating.
New Technologies and Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAAugust 19, 2017
A typical day consisted of juggling multiple deadlines. The very best technology is provided to employees. Turnover was high. It was extremely busy at times.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Very stressful
customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 14, 2017
They sale you when you come in for the interview saying all you have to do is do your job to get bonus. Well that is not true. The customers are evil. Supv do not take supv calls. Training teaches you the basics everything else you learn on the floor(not really). If you have no patience and want to get cursed out everyday then work here.
Pros
own desk
Cons
to many to name
I enjoyed working for them
General Manager, Gannett Offset (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 14, 2017
I worked for the company for over 20 years at several of their locations. I transferred to the Nashville locating. Two years after moving their was a consolidation of operations.
Not worth the stress
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 12, 2017
Place was a joke!! Management was terrible they use fear and negativity. To receive a bonus you may often lose your breaks just to say in"adherance" Supervisors walk around causing drama and avoid helping employees who were poorly trained. They treat employees like cattle. Meaning they make it pretty known they care less about a turn over and more focused on replacing anyone with a random replacement . You never feel appreciated you always feel anxious that you're not saving customers from cancelling subscriptions due to erroneous billing. Good luck getting off the phone in 2 minutes or less with an antiquated computer program that usually lags and sometimes can't find customer info.
Pros
You don't work hard
Cons
Poor training. Upper management allows some lower management to treat employees poirly
No comment
Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 10, 2017
Management could make it a difficult environment to succeed. Training programs are above average for a digital organization. Pay has the potential to be above average.
Encourages community service
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 9, 2017
A favorite benefit Gannett offers, in my opinion, is how employees are encouraged to participate in community service activities--on company time! Meals on wheels, Habitat for Humanity, etc.
deadline driven, customer service--very nice place to work
Administrative Assistant-Obit/Legal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHAugust 2, 2017
Worked in circulation, obituary department and legal ads. very deadline driven learned very strong customer service skills, hardest part doing obituaries
Pros
laid back workplace
Cons
job cuts--layoff
Avoid
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 27, 2017
Call center supervisor emailed me informing the first five days of short-term disability must be PTO/vacation days. And even though I followed her instructions and emailed confirmations to everyone that I put it in, they did not pay me. Something is very wrong when the company you work for does not pay you and/or does not pay you in full and on time. I was an actual employee - not a volunteer. All they care about is hitting their sales goals. Apparently, they could care less about you actually getting paid. When I asked the call center supervisor (same person) if she wanted to answer my questions, she said no. And because of their failure to pay me, I started looking at everything and found out they were overcharging me for parking ever since the day I was hired. They had to refund me more than $200 for overages. And I was not the only person being overcharged/duped. I warned my coworkers, so they could review their paychecks and get refunds where necessary. When you overcharge people that much for so long, it's not an accident. Let this be a warning to you to stay away. I wish someone had told me to stay away.
Cons
Do not waste your time if you're looking for a career.
Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 26, 2017
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN...Unfortunately the Corporate office are unaware of the lack of skill and maturity level of their management teams or fail to address the problems and this greatly affects the bottom-line.

the same ad is posted on a regular basis because turn-over is astronomical due to inexperienced and immature management that blame their inabilities on lower level staff.

I have worked for several large publications in various forms and would not recommend this company to my enemies but I would recommend it to someone fresh out of high school looking for a temp job. Otherwise don't waste your time.

Pensacola Branch is one of the worse run offices I have ever encountered.
Pros
Great for temp work, in between jobs, or someone fresh out of high school.
Cons
High turnover, Low skilled upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5