Gannett Employee Reviews

Not worth the headaches
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNDecember 1, 2016
If you want to spend your time helping your customers find meaningful solutions to their marketing needs... If you love a management team that puts the client's needs first... If you are looking for a career in advertising sales, LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Gannett's primary concern is gobbling up all the journalism properties around the country. They have no interest in the news consumer or the advertising client and they certainly have no interest in their employees.

Ten years ago, it was a great place to work, but Senior Management has drained the life out of the place. Don't believe anything your told. RUN AWAY!
Pros
Cons
Poor compensation plan, Excessive time spent in "planning", Harsh workplace atmosphere, Low morale, Constant "elimination of positions"
No raises, lay offs
N/A (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 8, 2016
We all strive to be better and work harder but quickly lose motivation when told year after year there will be no raises. They buy out other companies and pay the big guys a lot of money and people wonder where their raises go. In to stupid expenses. Will recommend it otherwise. If you don't care about raises or job security this is the place for you. No breaks in some parts so you'll have to eat at your desk. The heathcare sucks. The supervisors normally pretty cool and same with coworkers.
Pros
Cool supervisor and coworkers
Cons
Healthcare, job security, pay increases or lack there of
Great place to gain skills
Mailroom inserter (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTOctober 19, 2016
Working at this company I've taught myself and been taught so many things I never would have learned otherwise. The employees and management are really understanding and do their best to help wherever they can. However, if you're looking for a place to advance and move up quickly, somewhere else may be a better bet as higher positions only open as senior employees leave.
Pros
Wonderful atmosphere and employees
Cons
Rate of advancement/pay
Productive work along with the basketball goal
Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 29, 2016
Management is completely aloof to the direction it wants to go. I've learned to be self sufficient and understand that CHANGE happens daily. Transparency is as clear as mud.
Pros
Laptop, work from home, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
job security, compensation and management communication
No raises and poor management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 3, 2016
Worked here for 25 years and every year got worse than the previous year. Raises were non existent. I originally worked for a group of weekly shopper papers before it was bought out by Gannett. I seen them destroy the great product we had by turning advertising over to the daily paper sales team and call centers. There is a lack of care for customers. I loved my job and my customers but more work load and no more pay was finally what made me take their early retirement buyout offer. The constant threat of furloughs and loss of positions created a not so fun place to work. I worked front desk and they cut the public hours to the point that they are now only open 2 hours a day 4 days a week for customers. How do you run a business like that? Just no care for the people who we are supposed to serve.
Pros
Paid vacations and personal days, great coworkers
Cons
Lack of raises, threats of job cuts, heavy work loads
Terrible place to work
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 22, 2016
I worked at Gannett in sales for over 6 years off and on. When I first started it was great with helpful managers and unrealistic goals. By the time I left if was constant threats of being fired, not keeping your SFDC current, a battle to keep your job and impossible to make any real money.
Pros
Cons
management, High goals, micro-managed
Apply only if you absolutely HAVE to
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 12, 2016
You will work very hard with little to no recognition.
Gannett does not give raises based on performance - yet want more out of you.
Staff is shorthanded, will not rehire people who left positions.
In house management was great! Learned a lot!
The most enjoyable part of the job is the never ending people you meet because of high turnover!
Pros
free parking pass
Cons
no monetary incentives - moral is low -
Good benefits, good work atmosphere. Pay not so great. Not well organized.
Inside Classified Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAAugust 10, 2016
Very friendly atmosphere with nice people and nice accommodations for their workers. Pay could be better as well as structure and organizational matters. My only reason for leaving was that they eventually wanted me to strictly outbound call for new ad business with an unrealistic quota. It is very hard to sell ads from the phone, especially display ads, especially when you can't see the customers in person. According to employees that had been with the company for several years, outbound calling for ad sales from an inside sales position has never been successful. That is why they have outside salespeople.
Pros
Friendly work environment, good benefits, and nice employee accomodations
Cons
Low pay, high pressure to sell via outbound calling, and unrealistic sales quota.
A good temporary job, not recommended for longevity and growth.
Customer Care Representative I (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIAugust 11, 2016
The best part about this job is your coworkers. The hardest part is the customers and management. When you're hired in, you are on probation like any job. But what seems insane is that the same rules they set for you to follow are not enforced for management and other employees. In training I can recall the lead saying that "You may see people wearing and doing things they shouldn't. Even though they may not follow the rules, you still have to since you're new." It was ridiculous how blatant the favoritism ran throughout the small call center. No cell phones were allowed on the floor but many employees and supervisors would be on their phones on personal calls for hours on end daily. I ended up leaving due to this very reason.
Pros
Easy money, in bound call center
Cons
short breaks, short lunches treats new employees different that current.
Productive and Interesting Employment
Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 16, 2016
I began my professional career at the Courier-Post. It was a very interesting place to work, an opportunity to learn from the bottom of the ladder, learning the production of the business to creating advertising campaigns for accounts for print and for online venues. I enjoyed working with co-workers and working with management with various concepts and ideas. I really didn't find any thing I didn't like working here, I enjoyed everyday. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my job was to here my customers thank me for developing successful advertising campaigns for them.
High pace work environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 1, 2016
Typical Day: Working on expense reports, doing follow-ups on different matters, scheduling meetings and conference rooms, and handling other matters as they arise.

What did I learn: How to multi-task with different level of managers

Management: Some of the best in the business

Hardest part: Dealing with difficult outside callers.

Enjoyable part: The co-workers.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Health insurance
Not challenging, very negative people
Assistant District Manager (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 24, 2016
This job requires long hours, overnight. There are no opportunities for advancement, the pay is not good, and the people are very difficult to work with.
A typical day includes clerical work, strenuous physical activity, customer service, and tons of driving. While this has been an experience that I've never had, the environment is not a welcome one. As a manager, you work in very close quarters with the other managers, and unfortunately this company does not provide management training or require regular evaluations of employees, making it hard to work as a group.
Gannett is supposed to be a goal oriented company, however this has become grounds for too much competition and resentment where there should be none. Many of these employees have only ever worked in this company, making it hard for them to adequately judge how to handle situations.
I don't mind working overnight, since it allows time for family events and holiday traditions during the day (Gannett does not close on holidays, so you're required to work).
For me, the hardest part of the job has been my co-workers. Most are very negative and unnecessarily competitive. I love working with different people and the customer service part of jobs, however this company has been the first time I have felt challenged enjoying this area of work.
Cons
low compensation, not friendly people, no employee evaluations, no advancement opportunities
Worst place to ever work at!
Outbound Sales (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 6, 2016
I've worked in the outbound department and it was the worst experience working for the call center I would NEVER work there or recommend this job. The managers suck and Don't know what they are doing, the managers and leads are sneaky and messy and they start problems with employees, they are bullies. This company is unprofessional and lazy. They want unrealistic goals and pay you NOTHING. They treat employees like trash and they show a lot of favoritism to the point where they don't know how to help everyone. It was the worst place I've ever worked. They are UNPROFESSIONAL!!! Don't ever work there! The supervisors and leads are the worst people to be supervising and leading employees.
Great Place to work
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 4, 2016
Working for Gannett was a great experience for me. Family environment. Management worked with you everyday to make sure jobs were completed in a timely and efficient manner. Hardest part of job was getting use to 2am phone calls for carriers having issues or quitting for lack of money or interest. Most enjoyable part of the job was the friends you made and how you looked after one another.
Pros
great work environment
productive fun place
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 10, 2016
4 stars its great company but the hours are not consistent as far as 40 hours. This company is great as far as working nights and easy going coworkers and supervisors. there are no opportunities s for advancement working here, however you can acquire your hi low licence thorough training here.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
40 hours not guaranteed
Organization evolving . . .
Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 20, 2016
Gannett, like other print media companies, is evolving from a print oriented medium to a digital information company. It is transforming itself through acquisitions to position itself for its future. The changing challenges have had an devastating impact on the existing staff.
Pros
Innovative approaches to making money.
Cons
Staff reductions, no balance work/life balance.
Productive and Fun Work Environment
Account Executive/Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 1, 2016
Great team atmosphere, excellent leadership and management, supportive co-workers, competitive sales environment, goal oriented sales process, advanced and continuing training program. The company really invests in it's employees from day one.
Life sucking position
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 25, 2016
This company is really big. There is no advancement available and it is unclear of what is in the companies future for position opportunities as everything is becoming remote or eliminated. Very micro managed, not a "fun" environment
Cons
No room for advancement
A company in transition
Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 30, 2016
Management is always influx at Gannett and does a poor job of communicating to their teams. It has the makings of being a great place to work as their are many talented folks that work there but due to the company evolving so quickly it causes a lot of stress.
Fun place to work with team oriented staff.
Customer Relations/Vendor Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INMarch 30, 2016
A place to work that include celebrating holidays. The staff is friendly and there are raises issued every year. Your work with a team and you support each other in various work situations.
Pros
HOLIDAYS OFF, COMPANY PARTIES, RAISE PER YEAR
Cons
WORK LATE TWICE A WEEK AND SNOW DAYS

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5