Gannett

Gannett Employee Reviews

Very productive and flexible work environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Norcross, GAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, challenging
Cons: non
Great company, flexible work environment, fun culture. Management was very motivating and helpful. Lots of potential to grow within the technology sector
My current team i am working daily is really good. I enjoy working with my team daily.
SW Test Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAApril 21, 2015
I have learned a lot from my daily team and also, I got trained on Ruby test automation. QA teams member are very nice and friendly. Also, the daily team i am interactive with is best team i every work with. Our scrum master is excellent.
Gannett a good place to work
Herald Times Reporter (Former Employee), Manitowoc, WIApril 17, 2015
Pros: Management and leadership
Cons: None
In my first stint at this employer, they gave me my first shot as a professional. They had good leadership which I lean upon in case of question that arise. Management was key in transitioning into becoming an Account Executive where I thrived in Advertising and Marketing.
Awesome
Technical Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Greenville, SCApril 16, 2015
Great place to work. Awesome environment. I would recommend this job to anyone. The management is great and easy to work with.
Low wages and excessive overtime, combined with corporate shakeups created a poisonous work environment
Graphic Artist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 13, 2015
Pros: great insurance
Cons: short breaks, 10 months straight of mandatory 5-10 hours of OT
This is where creativity goes to die. You're expected to work on 30 ads a day, or more so, you are working ridiculous amounts of OT with no raises, we are paid ridiculously less than the average pay for a job like this. Its a poor environment. No wonder we lost 20+ people in the past 3 months
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Corpus Christi, TXApril 3, 2015
Pros: had good people to work with in some departments
Cons: no breaks, health care
Always busy. Had great co-workers got along with everyone. The hardest part of my job was not able to talk to other co-workers when new management came in.
CSR
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 2, 2015
Assisted with starting accounts and processing payments, documenting subscriber complaints and compliments and saving accounts from closing. Answered questions about billing, including updating subscriber addresses, credit card information and etc.
Ok place to work, but a lot of turnaround
Photojournalist (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 18, 2015
The overall company morale just seems to be nonexistent. A lot of good, talented people have left jobs due to management.
Great Work/Life Balance
Regional Account Executive (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 17, 2015
Great Staff and people love the ability to control the day to day operations. I appreciate learning about the skills required to be successful at the company and also gaining the experienced needed as well.
it waas very prouctive at the time 2004
Sr. Account Executive (Former Employee), East BrunswickFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: comision were excelents
Cons: salary base was low at the time
I had fun in the company, i had learned a lot about Marketing and how to manage my time with clients to cover what they require in calls for the day
Productive. Excellent reporters and writers
Multimedia Specialist (Former Employee), Staunton, VAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: huge company
Cons: otr over the road
A More diverse group of people is needed in the Sales and Marketing department. This location didn't have a clue on how to treat persons of a different ethnic background.
Newspaper Industry
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), TulsaJanuary 24, 2015
The good thing about this company is the sales commissions. Speaking with the customers about the product came naturally. Taking the challenge of the contest any particular day, to do my best to achieve or exceed the companies expectation.
Terrible Place To Work
Technical Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: barely commission
Cons: everything else you can think of.
The interview process makes you think that what you are doing is the right thing for you and your family, like you are about to solve all of your personal issues with this God Send of a job. I don't think so..
The pay starts off higher than most sure, but the commission and how hard you have to work for it, its close to impossible to even get commission these days. The management team is no management at all, its every man for themselves, no support. As much as you would like to think you have job security, you don't. And it isn't because the newspaper is a dying field, nope thats not it, its favoritism. I hope that who ever is hired on gets in good with someone in management or your gannett career wont last long.

sincerely,
abused current employee.
phone sales, stressful and exciting all at the same time,but enjoyable
Customer Service Sales Representative (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: weight out the same
Cons: weight out the same
trying to convience customer to start or renew subsciption to the newspaper,Management helpful and co-workers fun to work with. Trying to sell news paper. Stressful but at times enjoyab. Trying to sell the newspaper to some customers that are already taking paper
The most enjoyable part of the job was when games were played for some of the prizes that could be won and your commission
Exciting and fun workplace that was different everyday.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Develop community relations strategies and managed day-to-day activities in order to complete communication initiatives.
I learned how to enhance a company's brand and to provide our customers with the assurance that we are here for them.
Laid back work environment.
Mail Clerk (Temporary) (Current Employee), McLean, VADecember 15, 2014
Pros: jeans are permitted on friday's.
Cons: doesn't seem like a place for advancement.
Business casual work environment. Management is very helpful, easy to talk to. Staff is pleasant. Could use some updated procedures to enhance a more productive work environment.
Worst employment experience
Advertising Manager (Former Employee), Salinas, CADecember 12, 2014
Pros: there are good employees, but they deserve much better.
Cons: where do i start. local management follows the "my way or no way" approach, cost cutting makes it impossible to be effective because everyone is in putting fires out mode, they want to transition to a digital sales environment, but they continue to insist on sales methods that suit the print world, they need to allow an infusion of new schools of thought, unfortunately that is not something they have shown the willingness to do, the gannett organization is in trouble. they have eliminated, lost, and forced good people out of the organization.......a scary trend.
After going through several rounds of interviews, relocating to the market, and given promises to have the autonomy to rebuild the advertising department to take advantage of my digital background, I was rudely welcomed with poor training, micro-managing, and no autonomy. My first day I was welcomed by the HR person when I was going over the paperwork and she told me "I was going to have my hands full. There is a lot of dysfunction here."

One person was on leave to avoid termination. Another AE went on a 6 week medical leave. Two people were terminated based on prior poor performance, and when I got one person back, another took a medical leave. Throughout the entire experience, I was held responsible for much of the dysfunction and sales results.

Stay away from all Gannett opportunities. They are cutting costs and eliminating positions everywhere...leading to poor moral, and an unsettling culture. The salary was ok, but the bonus structure was poor. No pay plan would have been worth it considering the chaos and poor work environment I was thrust into.
Very pitiful; take heed to the warnings
CSR (Former Employee), Louisville, kyDecember 1, 2014
Pros: paid training
Cons: everything else
Their customer service sucks. Management does not want to assist you. The only assistance they offer is telling you whatever you have to tell the customer to keep them from having to speak with the customer. They do not treat their customers right. They try to brainwash you as a csr that only 1% of their customers call in with issues but I've seen that it is always the same 1% and they obviously don't care. It is ghetto. The people that work there are ghetto. That also says a lot about their customer service. They are basically just looking for credit issuers. That is their solution for everything. Issue them a credit. After the same person calls and complains 5 times a month they claim that it goes to a resolution team but they never call anyone back. I was even told to not tell a customer how he could save money on his subscription because his new rate was going to be $80 higher. They do not care about their customers. They will not reverse anything if someone messes it up. They do not get in touch with their carriers. To someone that has never had a decent paying job, a young person, or someone with no education this may be a decent paying place to work but 12.50 an hour is not good enough for me. If I wanted to listen to complaints all day and not be able to do anything about it I would work for more money at a collection agency.
Teaches valuable skills but is too dependent on the skills of the few
Digital Desk Producer (Current Employee), Manitowoc, WIDecember 1, 2014
Pros: interesting work, values my skills, high demand, independence
Cons: other workers too dependent, poor hours, too many duties, industry sagging
As a digital desk producer, I engage readers through social media and the newspaper's website. I post stories and promote them. In the evening, I copy edit the entire paper and aid designers to create effective designs.

Through my career, I have learned how run a newsroom and have learned every skill my department has to offer.

The hardest part of my job is balancing my work. I often carry many job duties and some get put aside for more pressing tasks.

The most enjoyable part of my job is writing stories and engaging readers through social media. Good or bad: creating discussion through the public is learning tool on how to create strong communication aptitudes.
Poorly managed with no long-term plans or goals
Email/Chat Team Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Louisville, KYNovember 11, 2014
Pros: good paying job, low stress if you're calm
Cons: benefits are poor, company has no direction
I answer emails & chats from newspaper customers regarding billing & delivery issues. Morale is horrible because we are unable to effect any real change for our frustrated customer base. Upper management has a massive disconnect with the day to day operations of the job. Hiring practices lead me to believe that they have no long-term plan for growth.
Headquarters