Gannett Employee Reviews

Corporate
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNMay 10, 2017
I enjoyed working for my local community newspaper that was owned by Gannett. But I felt like corporate (Gannett) did not understand the importance of the small town newspaper and they did not recognize the work I did and seemed like I was an outsider since I didn't work in the main corporate office. But I did enjoy working with my local advertisers. Gannett laid off a lot employees and people who stayed was over worked and spread thin
Pros
Hours, vacatoin time
Cons
not being noticed, pay
Not a good Company to work for Hostile work environment not diversity friendly
Sales professional (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 8, 2017
My cousin worked there and it was an awful experience for her. She is very polished, professional and one of the best dams sales professionals in the tri state area....Management lacks the people skills to stop the revolving door. Hardworking individuals are passed over for advancement regardless of tenure and ethic, not a place where you can feel secure about your job. Be ready to get yelled at on a constant basis, if you enjoyed being belittled and pushed to your limit this would be a great opportunity for you
Pros
pay is semi good
Cons
hostile work environment, yelled at daily
Productive work environment
Designer 2 (Current Employee) –  Neptune, NJMay 6, 2017
Very busy, always doing something, but I thrive under busy, deadline situations, it brings out the best in my work. A big problem, though, is job advancement is nearly non-existent.
Gannett
Regional Sports Reporter (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJMay 5, 2017
Definitely not a bad place to work. There are some great people there. But at times, losing your job hangs over your head. Morale isn't always the best
Be prepared to work hard, company is demanding and the more you can do, the more work they will pile on you.
Design Studio (Current Employee) –  Neptune City, NJMay 3, 2017
Nice office, unfortunately it's closing. Company has proven it doesn't really care about its employees; making money and saving money is all it cares about. The company continues to buy newspapers, hire, fire and lay off people like it means nothing.
Pros
Office and equipment, able to work from home
Cons
Expensive benefits, job security, workload
Undergoing tech changes, questionable skills among upper-level management
Night slot chief (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NY/Woodland Park NJMay 2, 2017
This is a good place to start, but you do not want to consider making a career there. Two to three years, learn all you can, and move on. The company is awash in dumber-than-usual politics.
Pros
Work-life balance, some benefits
Cons
Management was always second rate.
poorly managed
Regional Sales Executive/New Business Development (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 27, 2017
Was on the print / newspaper side -
management never understood how to use digital/mobile to help balance the decline in print revenue.
Poor future vision and no ability to change course
Pros
incredibly skilled employees
Cons
poorly managed
Online Advertising Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 27, 2017
Had a long , productive (30 year) career with Gannett.
Worked as a Creative Artist for 24 years at the Fort Myers News-Press. A Gannet owned daily newspaper. Another 5 Years with Gannett Digital.
Run away
Coach & Escalations Agent (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 23, 2017
this place is all about sales, sales and more sales. they have very deceptive business practices. employees are hired as customer service care agents but they quickly learn that sales are the name of the gameg
Pros
good pay
Cons
stressful
Run as fast as you can!!!!!
No longer needed (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 22, 2017
I enjoyed my job but no matter how much I gave , I never got much back. THey will use you and spit you out. Not a good place to work, communication bad
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Too much to list
Nice Work Environment
Payroll Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 19, 2017
Flexible with schedule and friendly employees. The hardest part of the job is the commute if you don't live nearby. Very laid-back, jeans and t-shirt/polo.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 19, 2017
The work is easy enough, deliver down routes and help out the contractors. Help with unloading trucks and passing out appropriate paperwork to each contractor.
Very unorganized place
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDApril 18, 2017
This was a very unorganized place, they are definitely looking for the person who will work for the least amount of money to do the most amount of work.
Exciting!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  remoteApril 18, 2017
Due to the constant innovation on the digital ad sales market, the company is constantly changing. This can be disconcerting for some people, but others thrive.
Other than the reall long days and no time off EVER its ok
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 12, 2017
I worked for this company for 2 years and never had even one day off, it was work, work, work and when you even thought about asking for a day off be prepared to be told "No". Forget having sick kids or yourself being sick, Oh well! Other than that it was okay, laid back environment, decent bosses, nothing to boast about though,
Good company
Classified Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYApril 5, 2017
A day working at Gannett was good. I had learned a lot of needed skills that I am able to use in another job. Gannett was a good and satisfying company to work for.
Typical warehouse duties
Assistant District Manager (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 5, 2017
This company would be great to work for if they provided job security and promotions. They also do not offer full time to their circulation department and expect full time work. No benefits are offered. And you will never be promoted within the company. I have worked for this company for 7 years and still am at the same pay and same hours.
Pros
Works with your schedule
Worked for the Tennessean paper
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNApril 4, 2017
This place is a mess. They are doing you a favor letting you work there. They think! They have not given raises seven years. There is no future here because all this company cares about is the online news.
Pros
Cons
So many I can tell them all
If one could take being beat up everyday, it was a good place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJMarch 29, 2017
95 percent of the day was taking complaints from customers. Many of the complaints were legit but company policies as they were, there was nothing we could do to help customers. Pay was decent for part time work and we had incentives. Management was helpful and always there to help. The company was very left and a conservative could not voice their opinion. The hardest part of the job was not being up front.
Very enjoyable environment.
Digital Print / Prepress Specialist (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJMarch 23, 2017
My day could be anything from making sheetfed and/or web plates, producing various products on digital presses. ie: Business Cards, Flyers, Brochures, Booklets and Posters. Sometimes cutting raw material or finished product. Maintaining digital presses and plate imagers and processors.

Honed my Fiery skills, Trained on different pagination software. ie: News Extreme and AGFA Arkitex.

Management is fair, allows me to do my job and is available when needed.

The culture in our department is, we're just a few people working together to reach a common goal.

Hardest part, will be the day the plant relocates.

Most enjoyable, The people I worked directly worked with..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5