GAP Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,067 reviews matching the search
Great company, a lot of room for movement and growth
Director Banana Republic (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 24, 2016
I've enjoyed my time at Gap Inc. Tons of opportunity to get new and different experiences across multiple brands and channels. People are nice and easy to work with. Top heavy in senior level management, which makes for slow decision making. The company is working on being more innovative in the digital space, but tons of opportunity. Stores still play a huge piece in strategies and objectives, which at times puts the online channel at a disadvantage.
Very political environment.
Pros
Career advancement, training and coaching
Cons
Less innovative and slower moving than the startup environment. Lots of leadership.
Great place to be part of
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 18, 2016
There is very little stress. Everyone just does their job, and that makes it a pleasure to come to work every day.I have the ability to help others and I am able to balance work with personal matters without conflict. The management works diligently to create a supportive, teamwork environment. For the most part, employees check their egos at the door and all pitch in to complete the goals. I have the training and the freedom to help the customer the best way possible.
Enjoyable place to work, friendly managers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 27, 2016
Starting out at the GAP store I was at, you started out working in the dressing room, assisting customers on the sales floor, and straightening clothes on the sales floor. There were usually more people stationed in the dressing room than necessary so you had to find other things to do. Management and co-workers were both very friendly, never had a problem with anybody. Helping customers find their best outfits was my favorite part about my job because you could see the joy on their faces when they finally found something that they loved. The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult customers who were upset that we didn't carry what they were looking for.
Work Culture at Gap Inc
Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 28, 2016
Work culture is good with a positive work environment
The most enjoyable part is learning new technologies and working with cross functional teams.
Management of resources can be better.
I learned how to be a good team player and lead a team whenever required.
Co-workers are good with technical and Communication skills.
A typical day at work is not predictable until I reach office as we would have sudden meetings/calls setup and change is requirements frequently as all the projects are based on Agile Methodology.
Fast Paced and thorough
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 12, 2016
Gap Inc. was a fun place to work. Management worked very hard to keep their staff and customers very satisfied. My favorite part of the sales associate position had to be folding clothes and organizing displays. I also enjoyed assisting customers with finding clothes that they loved and felt comfortable purchasing. The hardest duty that i had, as cashier, was convincing customers to apply for and commit to the company credit card, simply because people are really skeptical when it comes to credit. It was a seasonal position but i would work there again.
Pros
Arranging displays, Organizing clothing, Opening new stock
Cons
picky customers
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 13, 2016
just folding clothes stocking

iv learned a lot from being with the company

management team is awesome they are so nice and they are always there when you need somthing

i like working with my coworkers its not very offten you find a great group of people you love walking into work and being around every day or other day they are so awesome

the hardest part there really isnt any unless its super bussie and everyone gets stressed some times

working with people i love my job id love to be there full time if i could i just cant say enough how awesome the gap team
A good career starter but not for long term
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 13, 2016
The company is suffering and shrinking because it cannot figure out how to get out of its own way and change/improve. The environment is very low energy and discouraging. Lots of people are trying to get out and for good reason. The company's best days are behind it and it will never be a leader in the industry again.

In my department people are over worked or avoid work because there is no incentive to do more than necessary.
Pros
People can be pretty nice
Cons
Lower pay than other places; frustrating management
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoJuly 21, 2016
Gap Inc. is an awesome company. It is fun and the salary is competitive. Although, you have to work 6 months in order to become a regular employee and they don't offer you a lot of hours. It pays well but if you don't have enough hours you end up earning the same salary as in other work with less pay and more hours. My co-workers are super friendly and also two of my managers are excellent. There is one manager that oftenly puts more weight in us and I end up my shift just wanting to clock out and go.
Challenging but rewarding workplace focused on customer service.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYJuly 22, 2016
Spent most of my shifts (8 hours typically) helping with ringing customers, helping them find merchandise that bes suit their needs, and opening up store credit cards, Assisted in opening and closing the store, greeting customers, and putting away merchandise that was returned or tried on in the fitting rooms. I learned how to multitask quickly and efficiently, how to interact with customers on a personal level in order to improve customer and business relations. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the gratitude from customers and managers. Management was nice, but ultimately I didn't feel welcomed or supported.
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJune 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be to answer inbound calls and process payments and clothing orders. Track orders and upsell for additional merchandise. I learned how to handle irate customers with professionalism and patience. Management is extremely nice and they have a wonderful open door policy. My co-workers are extremely friendly. The hardest part of the job was appeasing customer's 100 percent of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help customers especially when they were upset. I enjoy helping to resolve customer complaints.
Pros
Scheduled shift
Cons
short breaks
Life of a Sellibrity
Sellebrity Coach (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 7, 2016
It is a cool retail job with good employee discounts. But the focus on credit applications, email captures, and customer service surveys have been more demanding overtime. You can be a great employee who does everything correct but if you don't drive these 3 things some mangers will make you feel like a failure. People say no to having their credit ran after you explain the benefits of the card. Your shifts may decrease because of this.
Great place to work with a strong GM who always focused on the business.
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJune 16, 2016
Gap was a great place to work, I learned many things from the management team. A typical day was coming in and supervising the associates, ensuring optimal guest services. My Store Manager was extremely talented and respected within the organization. She taught me how to be an effective leader and how to attain results through people.
Pros
Managment, employee incentives
Cons
Schedule
Clear, concise art direction, and fun product
Freelance Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 16, 2016
I mostly worked remotely for the Gap Outlet graphics team executing boy and toddler boy product. Occasionally I went onsite to help with concept and to put the finishing touches on the product at the end of a season. I consider myself lucky to be able to have such a flexible position with a large company.
Pros
flexible schedule, good direction, open to ideas
Cons
no healthcare since it's freelance
Productive place to work, some issues
Associate (Current Employee) –  Troutdale, ORMay 31, 2016
GAP can be a fun place to work as long as you don't ask for anything in return. They tend to take advantage of a teens need for money and hours for work and won't really give days off if you request for them, any day that I have requested work off for my birthday or a funeral or a graduation-I am left scrambling and trying to find someone to switch shifts or cover for me.
Pros
Fun to interact with customers
Cons
They expect to be your NO 1 Priority even while you're in school
Work? More like no work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2016
A typical day of work wasn't tiresome or painful. it was actually a nice environment where people greeted you and cleaning and folding was normal.
The managers are great people they understand at times what is going on.
I learned how to fold clothes in a nice fashion that looks clean.
Hardest part of the job is trying to get hours. I haven't been fired yet but I haven't been scheduled yet either.
Its sad to think that you thought you actually had a connection with your managers, but then realize that they actually didn't care about you.
I felt like the most enjoyable part of the job was how much fun I had, but it was sad to see that hardly anyone one seemed to understand why I believed it was so fun.
Pros
50% discount on non-sale items, good breaks
Cons
Hardly any hours
My amazing co-workers we all have an unbelievable bond with one another.
Merchandise Handler (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 29, 2016
Management here is horrible. Great deal of a lack of communication with leadership. When we ask a questions we never receive a definitive answer right away they try beat around the bush with the answer. I'm honestly amazed at the people they hire for these leadership roles.
Pros
My awesome co-workers I work with.
Cons
Short breaks, Management, Human resources
Productive and fun place to work. At times.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 18, 2016
I have been with them for multiple years, and have had no chance to advance and my hours are cut more than new hires when I am trained for almost every aspect of the job. Managers have favorites, and act on them. Co-workers are great, but new hires don't want to do their job making everyone else's job harder.
Pros
works with schooling
Cons
cut hours, no communication with management, only hire part-time
great place to work but need something closer to my passion
cashier (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLMay 26, 2016
i work at sawgrass mall where there are a lot of people from all over and i learn to speak a little Spanish. I've been working there 3 years but im not trying to be stuck there so im trying to branch out and do more. i love the fast pace work environment and i love to learn new things and help people and thats what i do at gap.
Pros
learn different languages, good management, fast pace, overtime offered
Cons
retail, salary
Fun and Exciting Work Place
Sales Floor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 19, 2016
Typical days at work usually goes by swell. Everyday I learn more and more to be a peoples person and try to best to learn how to handle peoples needs. The management and my co-workers are excellent and they are/were very helpful every time I needed help. The hardest part of my job is usually keeping your composure and not keeping too overwhelmed during days such as Black Friday and the time before Christmas (so far) because of how busy and demanding it can be. Meeting new people and helping people out in whatever way I can is the most enjoyable.
Working at Gap
Visual Associate, Cashier, Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Livingston, NJMay 17, 2016
Visual Associate: Making sure all mannequins are fully dressed, following planogram to dressing the mannequins in certain clothes and ways, following planogram to set up the store and clothes a certain way, and fixing stockroom.

Cashier: Ringing up customers in a good pace and time, recommending customers to our Gap Credit Card service, handling returns and exchanges, and processing online orders.

Merchandiser: Recovering the store in a certain amount of time, assisting customers, and cleaning fixing rooms.