GAP Inc
2,111 reviews

GAP Inc United States Employee Reviews

Fun workplace, but managers were not sympathetic towards employees.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAApril 17, 2015
Cons: Short breaks
Fun workplace, but they weren't willing to work with my school schedule. A typical day at work would be making sure the sales floor was presentable, assist customers, and manage the cash registers. The hardest thing I had to deal with was the fact that the manager was not understanding in regards to scheduling. They would ask us what days worked best for us and what days we weren't available, but they would still schedule me for all the days that I said I wasn't available due to school and child care issues.
Fun Energetic Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Tukwila, WAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Friendly working environment
Cons: Too much emphasis is put on getting GAP cards
This is a fun place to work. A normal day consists of a few hours of folding clothes and helping the occasional customer find a style of denim that is right for them. Their is occasional cleaning involved for those who open/close the store but other that that the job is fairly simple in that you just make sure the store is clean, and organized. Managers are usually fairly nice, however the District Managers and General Managers usually place way to much pressure on sales associates to get GAP Cards of the company. So much to the point where some stores will give, or not give, you work hours depending on how many gap cards you get during the week. This job is for those who have a lot of free time to be called in at the last minute, and who can either come in early or work late. Pay usually stays at or around minimum wage for non-managers. It's a great job for those over 18 yrs of age that need spending money. Not great for grown adults who need to pay bills.
Motivating and amiable work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 16, 2015
Working at the GAP is an enriching as well as a learning experience. On a typical day, I punch in and am immediately given the daily update of the store, including what sales are currently running and the goals for the day by one of several motivating managers. Over the course of my shift, these same managers work alongside my coworkers and I, supervise, and give advice and motivation. Attention to customers is first and foremost during the shift, but clothing presentation is also given priority. Working at the GAP has taught me how to better approach and converse with customers, how to be more responsible with property, and how to better communicate with others. My co-workers are vibrant and enjoy what they do. The hardest part of my job is trying to converse with foreigners because of the language barrier; but this is the most enjoyable part of the job as well, as I get to meet and help people from all parts of the world.
just ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Central Valley, NYApril 15, 2015
reminds me of a sweat shop. very busy even on a tuesday in the middle of winter. management is not very nice. the only thing i really enjoyed about working at the gap was all i did all day was ring people up. i didnt have to deal with being on the floor
Flexible place to work
Level 4 Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: healthcare
GAP is very flexible and considerate about schedules. A great place to work if you have school or another full time job. Yes it can be hectic at times, but very fun. Not to mention they like to take care of their employees.
Busy, Busy, Store
Loss Prevention Expert (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 14, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, flexible schedule
Cons: Salary
My day could have me on the sales floor, cashiering, fitting room, price change, or shipment team. As a Loss Prevention Expert, I evaluate employees daily including management on loss prevent techniques and company policies. I enjoy the management team and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customers, who believe they are right and think we can do whatever they want us to do to make them happy. I learned to be extremely flexible, patient, and persistent to fulfill customer inquiries.
Loved my CoWorkers but....
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Blowing Rock, NCApril 14, 2015
I loved working for Gap Inc. I worked there for 2 years - the only issue I had working there was the management. The General Manager was incredibly rude and talked to you like you were stupid. I loved my coworkers but the managers were terrible.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York NYApril 14, 2015
I've never worked at an apparel location before. At Old Navy there were so many different positions you could attain, and the support system was prenominal. I enjoyed every moment working with this company.
Fun Place To Work For
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 13, 2015
Gap Is A Fun Company To Work For. Very Flexiable Which Is Great For Work And Life Balance and Personal Time. Management Is Good And Understanding. Co-Workers Make Work Even Better.
Great Company
Sales Associate/ Intern/ Adult Specialist (Current Employee), Tuscola, IlApril 13, 2015
Pros: Great experience
Cons: none
I learned about merchandising for adult, kid and baby
How to use my skills to implement sales in the different sections.
Coworkers and management are great.
The hardest part of the job was lifting the mannequins and heavy equipment.
My favorite part of the job was being able to freely use my creative ideas in the different departments for displays.
I love working here and would tell anyone to apply.
What my typical day is,
work early morning merchandising or sometimes promotions and markdowns.
Building full of fun and different personalities
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 13, 2015
Pros: first look at fashion
Cons: shortbreaks
Everyday was a challenge but always in an exciting way. Going into work everyday was a surprise in which I wasn't fully ready but never the less always prepared :).
Difficult people to work with and no hours
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), South Hills, PAApril 13, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: management
2/4 managers that I worked with were awful towards me. I do not appreciate people in a position of power taking advantage of me or believe they're entitled. One of the managers was always nitpicking me and finding things that I do wrong. But honestly, this was not a job I wanted to stay at too long, considering I am going to college and getting a degree. I came to do my job for 5 hours and that's all. The store manager, who I loved taught me a lot. I felt like every time I worked with her I was learning something new, which I really appreciated. But to be honest, the best part of having this job was the discount... 50% you can't beat that anywhere. The worst part about this job is that you have to sell gap cards. There's literally no way around it with management and that's absurd. Not only do I hate being hounded when I come into a store about signing up for a credit card, but I know other people do too. Basically, management wants you to nag someone long enough so they'll eventually just apply to get you to shut up. I was hired in the fall as a seasonal temp, but they kept me on in 2015.... but gave me no hours. I couldn't do that, so eventually I just went and got another job.
Bad Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 13, 2015
Bad management
Awesome discount
Awful coworkers
Too much gossip
No room for advancement to corporate
Awful training
Flexible hours
Great job, great place
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 13, 2015
The company is phenomenal. Their values are everything I agree with. However, advancement in the company is nearly impossible, depending on your location.
Great Supervisors
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee), Petaluma, CAApril 12, 2015
The supervisor staff is fantastic and they really work with you. There is room for advancement and annual shift selections
Fun Workplace, Low Compensation, Very Flexible Schedule.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 12, 2015
Pros: Flexible scheduling, fun culture, good experience for future.
Cons: Relatively low pay, On-Call shifts, not much upward mobility. Management often hired from outside of company.
This is a great job for a student trying to help pay some bills. Relatively low pay, but very flexible to work around your schedule, whether classes/another job/kids/etc.

Doesn't seem to be much room for advancement besides perfunctory tiny pay raises after each year of service.

BUT, very open, accepting and fun culture. Gap has always been progressive and open to the LGBTQ communities.
Productive and efficient work environment.
Acting Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Concord, NCApril 11, 2015
A typical day at Gap Outlet is very fun and exciting. New customers come on a daily basis and I make sure I give them a great customer service experience. Management provides a helping hand to assist customers when needed and also motivates the team at all times. Helping the customers is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great work enviroment!
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee), Rocklin, CAApril 11, 2015
Pros: Benefits are great and it pays well.
Cons: It can be mentally and emotionally draining.
The leaders are very supportive, and specific to your coaching needs. I've learned to adapt and adjust to the diversity of personalities and needs of customers that call in from different parts of the world. The hardest part is having to deescalate customers and possibly having to hand them off to your supervisor.
Productive and fun workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 11, 2015
Cons: seasonal, no benefits
I loved working for the GAP, I love the brand, I love selling clothes, helping customers find what they need, suggest outfits, and matching them up. The environment was fast paced, I love meeting new people, and this was an ideal job for that.
excellent company
Merchandise Specialist (Supervisor) (Former Employee), Kissimmee, FLApril 9, 2015
I worked in the Old navy branch. Although the hours were not very pleasant sometimes I loved working there. It was like a family and the staff was treated with respect. I value this company a lot.

1 2 3 4 5

About GAP Inc

The ubiquitous clothing retailer Gap has been filling closets with jeans and khakis, T-shirts, and poplin since the Woodstock – Read more

GAP Inc Salaries