GAP Inc

2.3K reviews

GAP Inc Employee Reviews

Great work life balance
General Manager (Current Employee), Auburn, Al.July 18, 2015
Gap is a great place to work. Fun people, family oriented, great benefits. No high pressure sales, but simply get to know your customers so that you can better fulfill their needs. Gap truly cares about it's employees.
Very good job to have
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 17, 2015
Gap is very fun place to work. The staff and customers gives it a very family oriented feeling. You get to have fun with the customers as well as the employees that you work with.
Awesome work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), St. Augustine, FLJuly 17, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: holiday and weekend work days
Love the advancement opportunities within Gap Inc. Overall like any retail management position as far as day to day sales floor duties
Gap
Assistant General Manager, Merchandising (Current Employee), Edison, NJJuly 15, 2015
Working at Gap, Inc. opened a lot of doors for me in my career. While working for Gap, I was able to translate all my in class studies in college to real life scenarios. I worked with great people and learned so much.
Family Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Barstow, CAJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Family type backing
Cons: Short time of employment for me
One of the best places I have had the priviledge to work.Very supportive staff and management. You are constantly busy with all kinds of people wanting to purchase product and talking to a huge variety of individuals. Great career choice for anyone who loves retail!
Very Family Oriented
Customer Service Expert Manager (Former Employee), Janesville, WIJuly 14, 2015
I worked as a customer service expert manager for nearly three years and I can honestly say this was the best company I have ever worked for. Very understanding to unexpected life situations and lenient to those that did not take advantage. I was unable to learn as much as I should have and taught most of the office procedures to myself through manuals because the store manager had a little bit of a control issue and did not set aside time to train us. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and the hardest part of the job was inventory which still was not that hard. I did find that the store manager seemed to have favorites that would move up in the company when it was in no way deserved by her constant snippy attitude and feeling put out by customers and actually being rude to customers..she had many complaints by customers but still moved up in the company. However I found that working with other managers within the company to be very enjoyable. If you are looking for a part time job and are a mother or student they really do work around a schedule and are family oriented. I was disappointed when the store closed because I had asked a year before if our store was going to close because i heard that GAP was closing 180 stores and I was assured that with our numbers and beating regional we were not going to close. I was not surprised when the week before the holidays the following year we were told we were closing in a couple of weeks and not to tell the associates...that was rough. I was disappointed another year later when GAP announced they were closing 220 more stores and opening 280 stores in China. I stopped shopping there after that...which is sad cause I do love their clothing.
Fun plcace to work
SALE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYJuly 13, 2015
It is a really fun place to work. The only time that the store gets really crazy is during the holidays. They always need you during the weekend.
I like the friendly atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Bensalem, PAJuly 13, 2015
I've always wanted to work for The Gap. A typical day for me is usually just assisting customers, helping them find what they need and making sure the store is organized.
Overall a good place
Operation Associate (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2015
Cons: Managers leave often.
Gap is and good job I just wish that our operation managers didn't leave so often. It's pretty hard going from one manager to one manager and adjusting to all of the different personalities.
GAP
Human Resources, Sales & Training Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2015
Learned to
• Conduct or arrange for ongoing technical training and personal development classes for staff members.
• Conduct orientation sessions and arrange on-the-job training for new hires.
• Train instructors and supervisors in techniques and skills for training and dealing with employees.
• Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, development, and holding teams accountable for performance.
• Trained team on all aspects of the business including sales and merchandising.
• Responsible for achieving sales goals while staying under budget with payroll.
Fun and flexible
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, easy job, helpful staff
Cons: Hours may suddenly drop, management's discretion is not always best and sometimes lengthens issues
Working at the Gap was pretty nice. I'm usually at work folding clothes in a certain section or in the fitting on the men's floor. At times I'd also get on the cash register and help customers with what they're shopping for and possibly talk then into buying more if possible. My co-workers were like family and even some of my managers were like brothers and sisters to me. They made harsh things customers do seem minuscule. The most difficult part of working there was talking with customers who didn't understand or read special terms during a promotions or sales. I learned how to appreciate style and accept others despite any differences while working at Gap because everyone had their own style and everybody was so wonderfully diverse.
Really questionable employment practices
sales associate (Former Employee), new york, nyJuly 9, 2015
Pros: a hard-earned pay check
Cons: the miscommunication
I was shocked when I began working here. Day to day everything is fine except for the pressure to get people to open up the gap credit cards even when it is obviously not in the clients best interest or may even harm their credit score.
The really disturbing thing came with the institutionalized practices they apply nationwide. The on-call hours are ridiculous. A company can not reserve your time and then not use it or pay for it. That's not fair. Also, it was frequent that my hours would be cut and then I would be asked to stay longer that very same day. Terrible management.
Further, the only full-time employees are ones who have either been with the company for many years-over a decade and before they changed policies or the managers- this is no doubt to cut back on providing benefits to employees.
They also kept pressuring me not to talk about my hourly wage, which was disturbing because it's well within my legal right to do so. It made me feel like they were doing something dishonest.
I was so disgusted I stopped shopping here as well.
This is part time employment
Guest Services Specialist (Current Employee), Cranston, RIJuly 9, 2015
This part time employment is something that worked with my busy schedule and it is enjoyable to work at. I started off as a seasonal employee working during the holiday season for a great employee discount and a little extra spending money. I decided to go on board as a part time employee and it has worked.
Knows what needs doing, but won't do it
General Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2015
Pros: 50% merchandise discount, 4 weeks of PTO, Company-matched volunteer time
Cons: Work-life balance doesn't happen, uncertainty about growth opportunities
Gap's problem is Gap. Everyone in the field has consensus of what needs to be done. GMs and up go to conferences where we all agree on the way forward. But none of it happens.

Payroll is laughable. Gap continues to talk about customer engagement, but won't even fund enough hours to ring people up. The fitting rooms are always a disaster, stores are constantly behind on visual standards, and there is no focus at all. Several times a week there are conference calls or emails jerking stores in one direction or another with no vision forward.

It's easy to tell that Gap was once a great company. The people who've been there a while are pining for the past, and the rest of us truly wonder why Gap won't do what it knows it needs to be competitive. But apparently we'll just keep shuttering stores instead.
Fun Place to work. Crazy Hours at peak times.
Human Resources/Employee Relations (Former Employee), Fishkill, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Managment Team building activities, continuing education incentives.
Cons: Hours during holidays and peak seasons could be somewhat brutal.
I enjoyed working at GAP. The group of people I worked with were probably the best coworkers I have ever had. GAP made great attempts to build relationships with management outings and activities that were a blast to participate in. Although a typical workday could be stressful, the people I worked with made it worth it. I only left due to a medical issue making it impossible for me to meet the physical demands of the job. If not for that, I would still be there.
best company every
Retail Stock Associate (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLJuly 8, 2015
while working at the company of gap i was most adore about the management of the company. they made sure we had all supplies and that everything was neat
retail store
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 8, 2015
Pros: not a hard job to do, gave me retail experience
Cons: not enough shifts available
Typical day at work would include taking care of fitting rooms and cash registers, greeting customers and helping them find what they were looking for; the manager that hired me was really great but the general manager of the store was always very intense and critical, working without him was always way more productive and faster. I've learned a lot from my co-workers when they helped me out with cash registers and just general customer questions inquiries. The hardest part of the job was when the general manager was there. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customers, making their day better by making them feel comfortable and welcome at the store, finding exactly what they came for, matching clothes, giving styling advice!
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
Pros: clothes half price
Cons: commute
I enjoyed working at the gap I could help customers find the perfect outfit and I a could also get clothes half price. My employees were helpful. Management was helpful
Productive and positive work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Bonuses, Great Benefits, many volunteer activities.
Cons: Company presently unstable store is closing
Responsible for supporting the General Manager in all aspects of the stores business, including attracting hiring and training brand ambassadors; exceeding stores strategy, achieving key business goal, and delivering an exceptional customer experience. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people and team atmosphere I work with. Getting to know your repeat customers on a first name basis. Upper Management very accessible,
Seasonal employee
Customer Service Representative, Replenish (Former Employee), Tanasbourne, ORJuly 6, 2015
Seasonal employee. BARELY worked any hours. Sometimes even HOUR shifts. Told to sell Banana Cards to customers, that sometimes felt forced