Garden City Hospital Employee Reviews

Home environment
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIDecember 24, 2016
I had worked at GCH for 30+ years. At that time I left to work elsewhere because I was unhappy with the direction the hospital was going since being bought by Prime. Well the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. The benefits that went from being outstanding to OK, weren't any better at other hospitals. The friendliness of staff members was worse outside of the Garden. This hospital is far better than all the other local hospitals. I regret my decision to leave.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Poor management since Prime Health Care took over.
Terrible place to work stay away
RN (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIMay 8, 2016
This is one of the worst hospitals in Michigan. The nurses on 3west & 2 med surg are terrible. They attitudes are so horrible. They just had a bunch of Nurses and Cna's quit because of what's going on there. It's a lot of unprofessionalism going on and nothing is being done. I was a nurse there & only been there a month and my last day was last week. There is no team work so prepare to work alone. Some of the employees are wonderful but the bad ones out weigh the good one. & management won't even work with your schedule if you have another job. Just don't waste your time.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, no team work, bad attitudes, unprofessional
Good starting point
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Garden City, MIDecember 27, 2016
Nice people to work with but very negative behind the scenes since new company took over. Stay for short period, but no advancement within the hospital.
Contingent
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Garden City, MIDecember 28, 2016
Nice place to work if your looking to fill in hours and make a few extra bucks. Most positions are only contingent there and they do not hire outside of the department. Been there over a year and I'm still contingent despite applying for other positions in other departments which I am qualified for.
Nice clean hospital,with good people
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee) –  Garden City, MIFebruary 21, 2017
My leaders are great to work for.,flexibly in my schedule to get time off if needed. The doctors are nice and helpful to work with also.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
hard to get full time job
Great medical benefits
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIJanuary 10, 2017
Every other weekend, 12 hour shifts, rotation of difficult workloads were given. Rare to be pulled to a different floor.
Right in the middle
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  pcuNovember 18, 2016
Over all an okay place to work. The co worker are cool. I dont like the lack of communication. Ive learned a lot but i do feel like the older people need to learn to teach the next generation a little more.
Pros
Community Hospital
Cons
Pulled often
N/a
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MINovember 28, 2016
Caring for patients on a telemetry unit. Medication administration, communication with doctors, and other members of the healthcare team. Nurse to nurse bedside reporting, walking rounds
Great Teamwork
Regisstered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Garden City, MIJune 4, 2016
The best thing about the Hospital is the wonderful Doctors and Nurses I work with. We have a great Team. We have Triage, an OR, Mother/Baby, and Nursery Duties. We do it all. It makes it interesting and challenging. The best part of my job is watching a new life take it's first breath. Creating families and making it a memorable experience. I'm also the Coordinator for the Bereavement services. I create folders for the nurses, a to-do list. Also, folders for families to help them through the grieving process. The hardest part of my job is, taking time away from patient care to chart. I love patient care.
Pros
Great Team Work
Cons
Nurses required to do clerk and housekeeping duties as well as nursing duties.
Fun place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIJuly 2, 2016
Always keeping you busy. Principle was very laid back, as long as you did your job! Co-workers worked very good together!
Benefits
Cons
Very pickey teachers
Bad Employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIMay 20, 2016
Some of these reviews are old. Since purchased by Prime, a company out of California, they have run the place into the ground. You are not an employee, just a number. There is no regard for people there and I surely would not want to be a patient there. This was once a very nice hospital with a good reputation. Beware.
Pros
None now
Wonderful work environment
Registered Nurse - ICU/PCU (Current Employee) –  Garden City MichSeptember 4, 2014
Our manager conducts a "huddle" (everyone on our shift gather's at the desk) each morning to gain a general report of activity on the unit. This is a small community osteopathic teaching hospital that function's very differently to the large teaching hospital's where I have spent the majority of my career. The amount of contact with the attending physician I would describe as being similar to working in a private office. Management is supportive and sincere. The most difficult part of the job is the lack of lunch choices! The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for my patient's.
Productive, friendly and caring workplace.
Executive Credentialing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIAugust 30, 2011
Garden City Hospital is a close-knit community of employees, who demonstrate respect and compassion for others by volunteering their time, energy and resources for many causes. Like most struggling community hospitals, advancement and raises are somewhat limited, but if you're looking for a healthy and happy work environment where you can make a difference in your community through whatever work you do, Garden City Hospital is the place to consider.
Lab Setting
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIJune 5, 2016
A typical day was both receiving inpatients and drawing blood on both inpatients and outpatients. Organized setting, small lab but wonderful co-workers!
great work environment
Cardiac Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIMay 15, 2016
I love this small hospital. Everyone is friendly and kind to each other as well as the patients. Community driven by the patients and a very nurturing place to learn and grow.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIJuly 29, 2014
I felt like we were a family. Our benefits were awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that my work could save someone's life.The hardest part of my job was working short staffed.
My day started out with doing reagent and equipment qc. Then I handled all the specimen that came in.
Pros
Free coffee and tea.
Cons
No pay raise in seven years.
Keep trying
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Garden City HospitalNovember 3, 2013
Working here I thought I could make a difference. The opportunity for advancement is great, and you will learn a lot working here; however, there are some problems with values. Employees that have problems within the system are not disciplined, nor do the behaviors change. It can be a very hostile working environment in some of the departments. There is some longevity with some of the staff, which can be good as the staff are like family; however, change is not readily accepted here. This may be due to the fact that this hospital is not associated or affiliated closely with any university. Change takes a long time. Education is encouraged; however there are no incentives or assistance with education. There seems to be a frequent higher administration change also. Sometimes equipment is outdated which leads to shortages and frustration on some departments.
Pros
cafeteria is good, community involvment is good
Cons
Poor performance is tolerated.
Upper Management Does Not Walk Their Mission and Vision Statement
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NursingJanuary 14, 2013
A typical day was always micro-managed. What I learned was from colleagues and seminars using my own pay and having hospital upper managment benefiting from the ideas and concepts. Hardest part of the job was watching the better administrators one or two that got in the door leave after 2 years due to the inadequacy of senior managment and their old concepts in managing a hospital for 28 plus years. Financial picture bleak. Even manager offices are in disarray not to mention Nursing Office compare to Senior Offices of course will tell you the story. Rehab units from 1968. Does not respect professional licensed persons or diverse opinions and people.
Pros
some colleagues of course, free coffee, parking service
Productive and fun
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIAugust 21, 2012
A typical days is telling where to find patients room, answering the phone and dispatching people to different parts of the hospital. Also delivering mail or flowers to different parts of the hospital.Or just helping the public with issues that they may have. I learned that i love working with people and helping others.And that i would like to get a job like that sense before i was a volunteer. Management was very professional and always looked for different ways to help the public.My co workers were very nice and always smiling and happy. The hardest part of that was leaving! The most enjoyable part was brightering up someone day who was down.
Enjoyable place to work.
Cardiac Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIAugust 11, 2012
Upper management was very considerate of their employees.

My co-workers were knowledgeable and friendly.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with the death of patients.

The most rewarding part of my job was helping people during their hospital stay.

I learned to handle very stressful situations with patience and understanding.

My typical work day consisted of watching heart rates and rhythms of numerous patients on computer telemetry monitors. Posting rhythm strips in patient charts. Applying telemetry monitors on patients.
Pros
the satisfaction of seeing thankful patients.
Cons
dealing with ungrateful and obnoxious people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Garden City Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Garden City Hospital Reviews by Location