Garfield Medical Center Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work at...
Tech (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CANovember 3, 2017
A lot of favoritism, dirty facility especially the cafeteria, too many turnarounds, always under staff, not enough equipment for patients, pressured to do over time to finish task, and management seem to care more about their bonuses so they start to cut down on the work force toward the end of the year(only schedule few people to work during the holidays even though it is still very busy). Also, everything at this hospital seem to be outdated compared to other competitors.

Only good thing about this place is their free healthcare which seems like the main reason others are staying with them.
Pros
Sometimes you will get free lunch or ice cream
Cons
Just read the review
culturally different
ADMINISTRATIVE DIETITIAN (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CANovember 2, 2017
It became difficult to educate patients when the language barrier became a problem. Heavy chinese population. Otherwise learned a lot of different roles as a leader in the nutrition department.
N/a
Certified Nurse Assistant/ Admitting Rep (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 8, 2017
Okay place to work they have appreciation week every year
They give you a free lunch for your birthday every year hard to transfer to different positions
RN (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CASeptember 6, 2017
This hospital has a lot of opportunities to learn new things. Not only have I learned new things, but my unit is like my family. We all help each other throughout the shift. Some days I wouldn't have gotten through without them.
Unsafe work environment
Telemetry Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CASeptember 5, 2017
They will float you after a year in Telemetry to critical care setting with only 2 nights of training. Also, critical care setting has no regular staff so they staff registry critical care nurse that don't care about the patients.
Pros
pay is competitive
Cons
dangerous work environment.
Great place to work for
Outpatient Coder (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAAugust 24, 2017
Great place to work for and to be a part of their team. Team is very supportive of each other. Update on the guidelines and supports your ideas. Love the effort that each one puts in to be an effective team.
Pros
Great team Effort
Cons
healthcare/flex
Fun place to work
Student Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAAugust 6, 2017
Fun place to work
Awesome teamwork
Fulfill experiences to my career
Learn a lot of experiences during a clinical rotations
Hope can find a job here
Mostly friendly enviroment with o co workers
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 23, 2017
you will learn allot on your own, no training or orientation on allot of new task. supervisor is not professional , but will learn how to be independent because of the weakness in the supervisor. Allot of work, various cases and instrumentation,scopes, vendors daily . Learned allot at GMC . No recognition in SPD.
Pros
some free meals on special weeks
Cons
short staffing due to spd techs leaving
My first hospital and spinsored me.2001.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJune 26, 2017
Garfield medical center 3-11pm shift.thought me more to adopt to a lot of changes of nursing from Asia to United states.I greatful to my co workers who taught me.from med-surf to 2 years of labor and delivery department.Have to take care two lives.(mom and. baby).new life every time baby is born.but when tragic happens it is devastating to all.
Pros
All Asian co workers
Cons
Asian doctor superiority
Stressful
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJune 8, 2017
For a community hospital, this place is extremely busy. Most nurses get burned out fast and most of the units have high turnover rates. New grads should definitely apply because the pay is above average for entry level, but there are better hospitals out there.
Pros
Decent pay due to union
Cons
busy, extremely stressful environment
ultrasound externship
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAOctober 4, 2016
During my externship at garfield medical center i was super pleased with the outcome of how in such a short six months the experienced i gained was unbelievable. The techs were really great at teaching and made sure that i did every case with their supervision from start to finish. I learned how to do procedures that i wasn't taught at school like paracentesis, thoracentesis, needle localization and top of all that the basic ultrasound protocols like general, small parts, neonatal ultrasounds how to efficiently in a timely matter find pathology with great patient care.
Pros
enjoyed taking care of patients doing what i love to do
Typical Day
ER/Admitting Representative (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CANovember 10, 2015
Enjoyed working in an ER environment....learn lots. Co-workers awesome worked together and finish business. Enjoyable part of the job is leaving and everything is finished and desk is clean.
Pros
MD buying dinner for employees
Cons
no insurance for part-time employee
Nice place to work
NICU Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 31, 2015
challenging work environment but good support and management made the job a pleasure to go and be at work a lot. I lioked working at the hospital.
Management needs Improvement
Communications (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CANovember 14, 2014
No room for advancement....Suggestions or Concerns are not met.
Pros
Short Commute
Cons
No Lunch, Restroom, or Breaks
Fun but veryproductive environment
Rehab Aide (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJune 13, 2014
I would start my day greeting my workers and patients.
I would constanty be like a sponge an absorb anything new
I would like and enjoyed working with the staff, was very rewardig to see the progress of the patients.
Its a fantastic place to work.
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAFebruary 23, 2014
Its a small hospital and people practically know each other by their names. Work environment is ok but sometimes overwhelming but its fine... I learned a lot working at a hospital set up regarding my field of work cause this is different to residential houses.. Plumbing systems are far different from where I used to be doing.. It honed my skills as a plumber and at the same time improved my personality dealing with different people too..
Pros
Good salary and better benefits
Cons
No cons!! I just want to go to a more challenging but much much better paying job..
Learning enviorment
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CANovember 13, 2013
I have learned a lot from Garfield on how to draw on all age groups and all sorts of different people.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
too far form home
Work Place
Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CASeptember 5, 2013
Prepare my reports for managment.
I learn to be more open mind with my work.
Hardest part preparing reports.
Managment let you do your job. enjoyable part.
volunteer enjoy helping patients as well as employees, loved learning new things
Administration & Physical Therapy Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAAugust 10, 2013
i loved going to help at the hospital because it is where i see myself work in the future. I later want to pursue my career as a nurse
Productive and great atmosphere
Hospital Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAFebruary 8, 2013
Answering telephones for hospital and doctor's offices, monthly billing to doctors, calling emergency codes, general information center
Pros
productive work environment, every day was different
Cons
some stress