Garmin Employee Reviews

Great Job
Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, OR 97302February 12, 2018
Garmin is an amazing company to work for! The only reason I would leave is for better pay, more advancement opportunists. Garmin offers more opportunities in Kansas, which is where their headquarters are located.
Good place to be.
Product Support Specialist 3 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 26, 2018
I enjoy it. It's a group of talented smart people. The company offers great benifits. The daytime hours are great. Overtime is normally an option. It is fast pace and a lot of technical troubleshooting skills are needed. Customer service skills are of essence. Multitasking is very important and an ability to change paths quickly and effectively.
Pros
Nice people to work with.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
ping pong tables
CAD/CAM Senior Printed Circuit Designer (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS 66062January 23, 2018
Great bossd and great people. I felt is was time to move on. I had worked there for 5 1/2 years. I received a job offer from Apple and I thought it would be a step up in my career to work for them.
Pros
good pay, fun people
Cons
don't real have any
Director of Corporate Development (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 19, 2018
Similar to a smaller company feel with a big corporate backing. Garmin does not feel like a large company on a day to day basis and you can talk to anyone in the company at any time.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
long work hours
Great job security, but poor wages.
Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 17, 2018
I love the hours, typical 8-5 Monday through Friday job with weekends and paid holidays off. The paid vacation time given is phenominal, as are the benefits. Medical, dental, and FREE vision care. The 401k match is the best I've seen offered so far. Yearly Thanksgiving gift cards and Christmas bonus'. This is how they keep people here, but the pay is not competitive. The yearly raises and reviews are disappointing. We lose great, funny, hard working people due to this. This place was a really fun place to work for when I first started out, but since the company has expanded and there are new people in charge, they are cutting department positions and demoting agents to save money. People aren't the fun selves they used to be. Everybody looks sad, and don't put forth the effort in working, because it has become more corporate. Everybody used to come to work and do their job great, but now managers are micro-managing everyone and it is not fun anymore. The very few fun co workers that are left are what keeps me going, aside from the great benefits.
Pros
Great benefits. Great work hours.
Cons
Poor yearly raises.
Corporate Office
Marine Survey and Cartography Analyst (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 15, 2018
A very family oriented environment. Lacks advancement opportunities. Management clearly plays favorites. EXCELLENT Benefits. Great 401k match. Smoke free environment
Fun place to work
Customer Care Software Support Techinial (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 14, 2018
The workday is fulfilling and informative and challenging all at the same time. This place will keep you on your toes. Continuous change and growth with products. Lots of products and lots of opportunities to engage hands on with these products from a number of markets. Garmin has their hands in so much. No way for you to get board.
Great job security, smart people, awful pay
Technical Lead EMC Engineer (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KansasDecember 18, 2017
A collaborative work environment, with mostly smart, motivated individuals but pay/salary is not competitive. Advancement opportunities are far and few between.
strong business
Western Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSDecember 6, 2017
Garmin is the leader in GPS Navigation and has many positions to offer. Being based in Kansas the wages are lower if you take a position outside the HQ.
Senior Aviation Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSNovember 28, 2017
Low pay great benefits. I worked mostly 7:30-4:30 but there where time when more overtime was needed. Good management. Slow older company that values a work life balance.
Weight Room
Product Support (Current Employee) –  OregonNovember 17, 2017
Good weight room, good management, Monday thru Friday 8-5 shift that is a set schedule makes it easy to plan childcare. Good work environment, food trucks daily.
Yes, there is a ping pong table and well run tournaments.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CANovember 14, 2017
There was a great group of peers working there that went out of their way to produce an inviting and conducive environment for getting stuff done.

Some of the lower and middle management however, could best be described as unfortunate.

The benefit package was actually pretty good, but salary lags seriously behind the industry and bonuses are unheard of.
Good starter company
Customer Care Order Admin (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 13, 2017
They're good to have on your resume, but if you're not willing to work for advancement, you will stay in the same position forever. Granted you have a supportive boss, you can do well here.
Pros
Great Health Benefits
Cons
Salary
assesment
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 10, 2017
they dont hold people accounted for there production. Management can work on there people skills. There is no room for advancement unless you are considering going back to school, I feel since I have dedicated 13 yrs of my knowledge and experience I could be considered for advancement. But when you see new canidates coming in and within a year advancing with no experience, its not a good feeling.
Pros
relaxed work place
Cons
management
Great culture, but limited opportunity
Senior Product Support Helpdesk (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 3, 2017
Garmin truly values their employees and you can see that in the compensation and perks that the company provides. The job offerings are broad and eclectic, so they are genuinely looking for any and everyone that wants to help the company succeed. the day to day job can become tedious, but the employees are all very invested in the company and each other, so the job is very rewarding. Their is limited room for growth in the Salem, OR, location due to the company's headquarters being in Olathe, KS. More of the available jobs or growth opportunities are at HQ due to them having the facilities for it.
Great place to work, but a dead end job unless you have a degree
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 24, 2017
Garmin is a great place to work, but unless you are getting a degree or have one, there is no way to advance to a management position or anything higher. There is definitely a difference if you work in the warehouse vs the other side which we call 'the tower'. In the warehouse you get a 30 minute lunch vs in the tower where you get an hour (management in the warehouse does get an hour lunch, but not the other coworkers). As for the workplace culture, it is almost non-existent. Coworkers have efficiency they have to worry about and although at times you do have downtime it's not encouraged to talk to your coworkers.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
workplace culture is not there
Great internship experience
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 2, 2017
I enjoyed interning at Garmin. The engineers were friendly and open to helping the interns. I had a fabulous mentor and am still in contact with her. Unfortunately, my manager was fairly sexist and was not respected by the team. Had I had a different manager I think my experience would be better.
Pros
Flexible schedule, casual environment
Cons
Sexist manager
Terrible place to work
Product Support Specialist (Call Center) (Former Employee) –  Salem, OR 97302October 1, 2017
When I first started, the company was really great. The atmosphere was relaxed and we got the calls taken care of. New management ruined everything by bringing in all kinds of stupid metrics that had to be followed on every call, taking away from the customer experience. The new manager knows nothing about good customer service. Also, there was limited to no advancement opportunities due to all promotions given to the people in the Kansas center. I had a great supervisor, but his hands were tied by the terrible management. The pay was good, but the working atmosphere was toxic.
Easily Replaced
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 20, 2017
felt like i could be replaced at any time and that i was not a valued member

I knew at any point i would be released without a problem because there was a line of people that would take my spot
na
Logistics/Material Handler/Float (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 18, 2017
It was a ok place to work the major issue is upper management they treat you like trash if you do not have a college degree that is the major down fall other than that its a great place.
Pros
Cheap insurance and no working Saturdays
Cons
Short breaks and rude management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Garmin. Our community is ready to answer.