Gary Job Corps Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace they always talk with they always intended on teaching.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  San Angelo TexasMarch 25, 2017
A typical work day at Gary Job Corp just waking up in the morning going to eat breakfast and then going to trade finding out everything that you're doing in class that day and getting your tools set out and ready for the day. We start with our measurements and then we make our cuts
learning
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Gary job corps offers an number of different trades. The instructors there can and will give you one on one learning experiences. The school offers housing for those who live far from home.
Productive and positive workplace enviroment
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Some days are quiet and some are a little rough. But its all up to you of how your day will go. The workplace is very cultural diverse and welcoming. Staff and students get along for the most part, so it just makes it easier. My difficulties mostly was the workbooks. You just have to pay real close attention and its like cake. I've learned a lot from this place though. It make me look at things differently. Accepting constructive criticism isn't always bad. You just have to gain more responsibility and confidence. They also show you ways to manage your time, not only that but your money too.
zero stars!!! its a bunch of lies and not worth it!!!!!!
Student (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 9, 2017
staff is rude, lets people get away with drugs, undercooked food with bugs and plastic in it, don't care about threats made. never help you with problems, wellness don't care when I had chest pains I was told to make an appointment for a month later.
Pros
free trips to a real resturant, and free movies.
Cons
everything else is horrible, dont know how to educate, or treat people at all. and the beds are the same in jail.
Medical Assistant Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 8, 2017
Good school with a lot of career opportunities as well as help for those with no Diploma or in need of a job. Stay focused on your goal and you will be out in no time.
Very good apprentiship program for people with limited income
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 1, 2017
Very structured environment with understanding instructors and dorm leaders.
Due to the nature of this program, people often have little interest in learning to better themselves.
Very stressful place to work
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 26, 2017
There is a lot of expectation from this job, but little means to get things done unless you invest a lot from your personal life or your wallet. If you are a woman there is a lot of inappropriate harassment that goes under-reported, and a very clear feeling of "machismo" in the work environment. If you're a girl, especially one that isn't HEAVILY invested in sports, your opinion is considered meaningless and you are rarely ever heard. The environment becomes even more difficult because you are working with a lot of hormonal 16-24 year olds, and a majority of them are male so you spend a good part of the day hearing inappropriate comments and being asked for inappropriate relationships. The pay is pretty good, and you get time and a half for overtime, but the stress will make you want to drink heavily on the weekends or whenever you have days off.
Pros
Good pay, flexible environment
Cons
Inappropriate harassment, inappropriate conduct from students to employees
Gary Job Corps
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 21, 2016
This is a position I accepted as a transitional job. A typical day at work is average. I have learned that the resources for Adult Education do not meet the needs. Contractors do their best to be conservative with funds for example there is one person in charge of a residential facility of 60 or more young adults of both genders.
This is not reasonable or safe.

All co-workers are doing their best to survive. The best part of the job is teaching and motivating young people to achieve. The foreign students are motivated more than the US students.
Pros
people and students
Cons
not adequately funded to meet the mission goals
excelent teachers, freedom to learn, fun, and consistant work
welder and welder apprentice (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 14, 2016
being able to have a goal of the day and working freely to accomplish it is one thing I love. learning different ways to complete a task and at the same time still learning to become a better worker in the field of welding excites me. I am a people person and have developed skills to relate to all kinds of people and backgrounds so I have no problem being around new people and working along side them. if you are dedicated and love doing your job with a well team put together nothing should be hard. welding and being able to show my skills and my work ethic is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Technical Training Center
Pharmacy Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 26, 2016
A typical day is to arrive to class on time and be in dress code and perform the duties required. It's mostly a continuous learning environment, since each student or worker go at their own self pace. I learned day to day the necessity actions to perform as a pharmacy technician. The management is well organized and on task to perform their duties and made sure that we are successful in our position. The co-workers are easy to adapt to and communicate with, the hardest part is the skills to perform and learned such as IV and Hood. The most enjoyable part is being able to work in a positive environments that strive for success.
Pros
Free lunch and residence
Cons
Unable to go off campus
Customer service
Machinist Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 18, 2016
pretty good customer service people are friendly and provide us with all the product info we may need or to know abotu a specific product great place to work
Gary Job Corps
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 6, 2016
Job Corps was a great but challenging experience you have to have your mind set before you get there. its all self paste. Gary Job Corps has may great job opportunities.
Job Corps
Certified Nursing Assistant Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 6, 2016
It is a great place to be they really do help you get a career. The only issue that can really get to you would have to be being able to deal with people who can get aggressive. The school has really taught me how to work with all kinds of attitudes and personalities. If you have a chance to attend please take advantage of it not a lot of people can.
Highly Respectable Place
Pharmacy Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 26, 2016
The center is what you make it in all honestly, It provides a great learning experience and allows you to grow as a person. There are things and people here that will test you but it gets you ready for your work environment.
Pros
Free Lunch, Plenty Of Activities And Decent Education
Cons
Enviroment With Students, Cleanliness
life changing/ educational experience
Electrician Apprentice/ Overhead linesman (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 13, 2016
6Am wake up call
Electrical/ Overhead linesman class
Friendly co-worked with the same determination
Hardest part of the job would be being away from my family.
Most enjoyable part would be getting to know my Electrical Instructors
Productive, very good oportunities
Student (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Gary Job Corps is a wonderful place to go to if you would like to start your life over. I have received so many certifications and attributes I can use on my path to making a better future.
Gary
Student (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 7, 2016
It is a very good learning experience but the students and some staff are horrible there. Very unorganized and unprofessional
An Everyday Life At Gary
Pharmacy Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 2, 2016
You stay on campus it is residential and from Monday-Friday you wake up at 6 a.m. and work on your trade and every two weeks you get paid for your hard work.
Pros
Education Is Wonderful
Cons
The Food and Staff
Its a good place to take a trade
Student (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 24, 2016
Gary Job Corps its a play where you can get an education by training and focusing in the trade you like the most. And to have fun with your trade
I really like it its a good experience to be here.
Pros
Trades
Good place to set yourself up for life
Student (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 24, 2016
While at Gary, I received the necessary skills to succeed in a career in the Medical field and can easily apply these skills to another area in the workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gary Job Corps. Our community is ready to answer.