Gary Job Corps

Gary Job Corps United States Employee Reviews

REGAN CARE
Trade school (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 31, 2015
Pros: The residents were so sweet.
Cons: The interns were really the only ones doing work.
I did an internship at Regan Care nursing home. It was a good opportunity. I got to see what I would expect if I wanted to take on C.N.A.
not as organized as it should be.
Residential Adviser (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 16, 2015
I worked with the students in the dorm. I made sure the the clean and respect each other while in the dorm. Upper Management can be more reliable. Co- worker where nice and helpful. The hardest part of the job was going with out lunch breaks and dealing with upper management. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the student achieve what they came to do.
Meh
Student Worker (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 5, 2015
The employees were rude and disrespectful. Another problem is that the employers can get too close to the employees and cause others to lose their jobs. these problems may have been fixed since I worked there, but they used to be bad.
tech training
MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE/INSURANCE CLAIMS (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 5, 2015
its a government assistance, you go and take care of what you need too.
A lot of Diversity good for the job, when you do go into the field.
Certified Nursing Assistant Gary Job Corps Center (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: free health care
It was a good workplace and it made you get ready for the real world and how to take care of yourself and others. It was productive and fast learning enviorment and knowing how to take care of business .
Fun to be here and I will miss the place
Student Employee (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free food, place to live, clothes, and prizes for those who did good
Cons: short two day break
When I first came I was confused because it was all new, but people were nice and helped me when I needed help. Everybody was kind enough to help from the very start. The hardest part of the job was getting used to walking everywhere, and learning where everything was because job corps is a big campus. Once you get used to it there was no hardship after that. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the different people in their cultures.
A Challenging environment working with at risk young adults at an educational and vocational academic and job training facility.
Career Development Counselor (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: talented and diverse counseling team, enjoyable client population, good vacation time
Cons: mismanaged and unorganized, lack of accountability for students and staff, not enough monetary compensation
A typical day at work entails managing my case load of students concerning their academics, trade, and residential progress and standing. I meet with my clients to discuss anything from mental health concerns to academic expectations and vocational standards. The management is too unorganized and chaotic and times making it an unnecessarily challenging work environment. My coworkers inside the counseling team are highly diverse and capable which makes the work more enjoyable and less stressful. The best part of my job is engaging with students be it in a group or one on one consultation. The most challenging part of my job is navigating a highly unorganized and inefficient administrative structure.
The Stress is Rewarding
Advanced Residential Advisor Intern (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: free meals and living arangements
Cons: long work hours and high stress
The normal day on begins at 6:00am. All students are accounted for and released to go about their day. The students will either be in trade instruction course or participating in academic enrichment as part of a "Training Period.

The Training Period ends around 3:00pm. There is a hour to a hour and a half briefing with the Residential Staff. The "Work-base Period" Begins at the conclusion of the briefing and will last till 8:45 o'clock pm. While on Work-base the intern assist the Residential Advisor in creating a safe and healthy environment for the residents. All intern clock hours must be accounted for and activity logs are kept to record student interactions.

Once the intern is released by the Residential Advisor they are allowed to return to their living areas. The intern is held accountable for the cleanliness and welcoming manner of the dorm. After all areas are clean and orderly the interns are released to study, relax, or prepare for the next day.

There are pressures and stressed of managing resident dormitory with 20-120 occupants, from ages 16-24. But when you see a student learn how to wash their own linens for the first time, or earn their high school diploma, it is an upsurge of pride for your student.
adventerous and fun
Student Employee (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXDecember 31, 2014
I liked the company because it was fast paced and easy going. I was an overnight cashier and also a stocker.
fun place ,good and bad vibes ,
Student intern / certified machinist (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXOctober 15, 2014
Pros: 3 free meals a day, to live on a campus with diversity, and all kind of people and cultures, to learn many trades or just one
Cons: you have to want it to succeed, cause it has its negativity while on campus
Gary Job Corps Is a trade school for 16 -24 years of age , we would wake up at 6 am to eat breakfast ,walk to trade spend all day in trade , we were handed blue prints for manual lathes and mills . we had a total of 9 projects , and you also got to do work base learning , where we got to work for employers in our trade industry's. but they are temporary unless u can prove yourself to be useful to the employer . school let out at 4 pm. i learned to run manual lathes and manual mills. i learned how to make a meat tenderizer out of raw material using both a lathe and mills. i made a v-block. a center punch, which required gnurlling . a flute which consisted of 12 flutes ,2 key slots , and a hexagonal head .Our management consisted of 3 instructors , shop a , was book work where we studied the fundamentals of machining , shop b, was hands on machining work ,and shop c ,was cnc training .

Hardest part of the day was Shop b , hands on machining , because of the fact that we had just got started doing machining, and the projects got more intense

the most enjoyable part of the day was going home and sleeping to get up and do it all over again .

my co-workers , they were students just like me , we all worked at our own paces , and if you needed help we would all ask each other and it helped out that way rather than asking the instrutor
Great place work/learn
security cadet (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXOctober 3, 2014
Pros: completely free eduacation
Cons: nothing negitive to say great program
A typical day involves going to accountability reading material on information pertaining to the security field. Hands on training including handcuffing, defensive tactics, proper use of batons/asaps. on the job apprenticeships or details
Self-paced, completing tasks and meeting goals in a well diverse, multi-cultured environment
Student Intern (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: housing, meals, allowance, health and dental care
Cons: limited breaks, weather conditions
Being in full trade keeps me focused and determined to reach my weekly goals. Sitting at a computer all day can be a bit tiring, but the skills I've learned I know can be incorporated into everyday life, and are an essential to have. My co-workers keep it interesting, and somebody is always helping somebody. Even the instructor has made an influence. Her ethics allow you to take what you've learned, and apply yourself.
fun
Student Intern (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXAugust 29, 2014
Pros: free lunch, education, trade and dorm
Cons: negative people who cause fights
i love it here and cant wait to graduate! you have to be a tough strong person to make it through Gary honestly. i love it but i cant wait to graduate so that i can officially be independent.
Hands on training and a great way to get your education right
Student Employee (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXJune 26, 2014
I enjoyed Gary Job Corps. For me it was a great opportunity, because I thought I would never finish what I started.
Best choice I've ever made.
Student Technician (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 28, 2014
Pros: everything is free
Cons: not everyone who attends the program come for the right reasons.
You get to learn any trade with real job training and certifications at the cost of nothing.
really a good campus to go to
Resident Advisor (volunteer) (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 24, 2014
Pros: variety of educations
Cons: n/a
Gary Job Corps offer better quality of life provide training in different types of studies and received hands on training.
completed trade
Machinist Intern (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 17, 2014
Received hands on training and working at the school machine shop as a level one machinist. Completed daily assigned projects to advance my knowledge, and skills to complete the machinist trade, and school program.
Great, Professional place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 28, 2014
Professional workers, everybody gets along. The hours I worked were great. Friendly co-workers, and students
A great environment with best oppitunitys
Student Worker (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 26, 2014
Everyday at (GJC) Gary Job Corp I lived and I learned, also not by my last chance, but my best chance. My trade was (M.A) Clinical Medical Assistant, where I began to learn patient education, phlebotomy, infection control and EKGs & more. (GJC) also showed me to stand up and ask "what you can do for your country", I became a student leader as the title of (DOM) Dorm Operation Manager. I was above four of my co-workers/ managers of my dormitory, two males & two females one for each bay. I'm a terrific natural born leader who goes by the chain of commend. There was nothing hard about my job, because I was trained to know what to do & obey my supervisor and others above the chain of commend. What I enjoy is helping & meeting new people, by letting patients know that I'm there for their care.
More studies is a plus
Medical Billing and Coding: MAIC (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 20, 2014
Pros: trained teachers, good training
Get great training and information in on and about your field.

1 2 3