Gary Job Corps Employee Reviews in United States

Gary Job Corps
Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 19, 2016
At Gary Job Corps we learn numbers of skills such as hard hat and Soft trades, Job Corps is a building program for people or students who will love to have a successful life and job in the world. My days at Job corps is basically like a regular work day but we don't get paid for it because we are there for the training. As being a Electrician I've learned a lot, such as hand bending, grounding, electrical services, safety, industrial and many more. The management here is pretty strict at times but that's only to keep us on the right track and the co-workers just work as a team to get things done, I can say that their isn't anything hard about the program you just have to stay on task and do what you have to do so therefor, I always enjoy working with others and getting the job done.
Pros
Housing
Cons
Curfew
It was not my last chance but it was my best chance
Medical Assistant Training (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 6, 2016
Living on campus my typical day was a wonderful one. During my time on campus I learned medical assistant, phlebotomy, and electrocardiogram. On campus I was graded on keeping my room and lobby clean. I was also graded on attendances while living one campus. I had a good relationship with staff and students while living on campus. The hardest part of my was leaving campus because I had a passion for all the learning I was receiving on campus. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in class learning new things from my instructor.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Breaks
great place to help and enjoy your students
Advanced Residential Advisor Intern (Former Employee) –  San MArcos TExasJanuary 12, 2016
Gary Job Corps is a great community especially for the students. working with the students are very great, you learn so much about them. some of the students grew up without families so having the opportunity to be part of their life is the best part in working at Gary Job Corps.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
staff gossiping
Job Corp is very beneficial towards challenges in life
Facility Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 2, 2016
Gary Job Corps is a very good place in helping students mature their job skills and themselves to get ready for the work field. This school put you on another level of maturity toward being on time, taking full responsibility for his/her actions, and most of all keep the job of the trade you choose during your time in school.
Pros
Free Living and Free Lunch
Cons
Great Experience but could have been better
Recreation Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 30, 2015
Gary Job Corps was great in that I was given freedom to determine how I would handle certain situations. I was given free reign to try and develop programs and events then implement them if I so chose. My biggest complaint is that site management likes to try and tell you how to do your job. You hired me for the position... You should trust that I can do this job properly, otherwise you should have hired someone else.
new environment with variety of people
Office Administration Worker (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 25, 2016
I enjoyed going to school here, I liked seeing every different type of people. I liked that we ate for free and slept there for free. It taught me time management and responsibility. Everyone was really nice, teachers and students alike.
Pros
everything was in walking distance
Cons
there was a lot of people
I learned how to have a good communication with my peers.
Student Nurse and High school student (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 16, 2016
Gary Job Corps has taught me that no matter where you go to find a job there is requirements. I learned how to communicate with other students/ worker. I learned everything I need to know for a job interview and multiple topics about a work.
Pros
prepare for career
Productive and culture-oriented place
Welder (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 10, 2016
A typical day at work would be: waking up early, getting my day started with breakfast and going on my way to work. Work is an open-armed kind of environment. My co-workers are probably the most enjoyable part of the day. The hardest part would have to be being so far away from family.
calm relaxed work place gets the job done
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 8, 2016
I am able to learn much about my skills. Its a very culture filled place good healthcare and work. A flexible schedule. and very kind employees. The management is very willing to work with you so you can get the job done in a very timely manner.
Pros
healthcare and dental
Cons
shork breaks
Intake, Tours
TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 3, 2016
I was in the Human Services Trade. The schooling was free. A typical day at class was mostly reading various psychology books. Once a week, we gave tours of the campus and did intake of new students once a month. For my internship, I was blessed with 6 weeks at Travis Elementary School in San Marcos, TX. That was so enjoyable. I worked in the front office. The hardest part of the job was the lack of compassion from the instructors. I enjoyed my internship.
Pros
The schooling was free.
Cons
I wasn't able to find employment in the trade I went to Job Corps for.
good learning experience
Office Administration student (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 2, 2016
Job corps was a great place to get yourself on a schedule to be successful. The job experiences there were in depth and have given me the skills to do my job.
Pros
free dental, free meals
Cons
low pay
goverment assisted vocational porgram
Business Office Technology Intern (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMarch 1, 2016
this place, is a blessing in disguise. I have had all experiences while attending Gary. I received my certificartion in a trade, got my ged, received my drivers license.
Pros
free housing, free education, free health care, and free lunches
Cons
short breaks, uniform, zero tolerance
its ok
srudent (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMarch 18, 2016
Gary job corps is a great place to get you diploma and your trade ......safety wise it is horrible we got students fighting and selling drugs and climbing threw windows ......the staff members are straight a holes like they don't like there jobs..
Pros
free meals and you get your education and trades
Cons
you have to deal with the most idiotic people ever
At work everday lifestyle
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 1, 2016
Job Corps is a great place to get a certification for people who have financial issues. Job Corps makes sure their students are properly trained and ready for the work enviornment.
Over-all Good Education
Student / Resident (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 7, 2016
The instructors are great. The opportunity for advancement is great. Worth while for anyone who wants a career based education. Must be self motivating and patient with dorm life. I would recommend Gary Job Corps to any strong and determined individual.
does not have much for leisure time but has some great instructors.
Student (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 19, 2016
only three things to do for leisure time but for education it does have some great learning tools. The CMA instructors are really helpful in any way they can.
awsome hands on trade school
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 26, 2016
it was an amazing trade school hands on at no cost payed us a lil for working there an gave free education lived on campus great food lots of corrections but srry cant revile are secrets
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Gets the job done.
Student (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 29, 2016
Nothing special about Gary. It's a great opportunity, but slow living. Your living allowance is too low, and the restrictions are to tough. Bearable but they keep us from the outside world.
Great training program
Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2016
I learned a great amount and enjoyed the hands on skills labs. I had the chance to volunteer with the local community and take part in work base learning.
Pros
Great education
A Place To Learn
CNA Student (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 14, 2016
The work place at Gary Job Corps was a plesent to be at very kind and supportive people. I am proud to have been part of Gary.

4.2