GateGourmet Employee Reviews in United States

not a good job, Dishonest management
Dispatcher/ CSA (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 6, 2015
I was working as a CSA (Driver Helper) for a year before getting promoted to Dispatcher. Well thats what I thought, I worked as a dispatcher for 7 months and I wasnt getting paid for being a dispatcher. I was still getting paid as a CSA. I complained to management about the my raise I was lied to by the management and the HR manager promising back pay and a raise i did not recieve any back pay or raise from them. Nothing ever was resolved. I could not take the deception and lies any longer so I left. This is not a good place to work. The employee meals are not free as advertised. I caught expired food in the lunchroom a couple times and management did nothing. Also, 95% of the time transportation workers have no breaks and lunch breaks.
Pros
Cons
no free lunches as advertised, dishonest management
Will only miss my coworkers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2016
No organization, bad management, no customer appreciation, and just a hot mess! I was there for a total of 3 months. Management is lazy, they never get things done, do nothing but blame one another when something is wrong and can be very rude at times. Many of the people who have been there for 10+ have yet to see a raise! Hardest part about this job is that your hard work goes unnoticed and there a huge lack of communication.
Pros
Free Lunch
no comment
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILFebruary 29, 2016
very hectic workplace. Hard part of job is dealing with changes in personnel especially management. I like most of the people I work with and I like the fast paced part of job.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
expensive health care, long hours and working days off with no compensation
Enjoyable
Materials Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAJanuary 25, 2016
Gate Gourmet challenged me and taught me how to regain my confidence. After being a stay-at-home mom for years I reentered the work force their. I began in a Union position and was then promoted to an "office" position. My manage was a Class A person to work for. Greatly missed. The only cons were not able to receive raises.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No raises
Airline Catering Experince
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2015
When we started our days we always had a little meeting before our shift. We would stretch, then discuss the previous day and assign stations for people to do. I learned a lot from this job on how to mass production of food. The management team made things fun and a blast work with, but there were a few bad apples that made your job even harder than it needed to be. My co-workers helped each other out when it was needed. The hardest part about this job was making sure everything you had to do was done by the end of your shift. The thing I enjoyed most about this is that I was given the opportunity to show that I can be a leader and move up in the chain of command.
Pros
Free Food, Benefits, Compensation, Pay
Cons
Short Breaks, Hours
Very busy productive place.
flight coordinator (Former Employee) –  South San FranciscoJune 16, 2015
Gate Gourmet has its ups and downs but overall its a place that keeps you busy and it becomes your second home. The gate life is what we call you become one big family my coworkers were the best and I was one of the youngest out of the coordinators but I kept up. Iearned great customer service here the hardest part of my job I would say is trying my hardest not to get a delay especially when you have so much on your mind,its a lot of mulit-tasking going on but once you get it you wont forget it.The part I enjoyed most was going to field were you meet with flight attendants and pilots and discuss meals and other great stuff.Overall it was a great experience management was great and I was able to learn alot.
Pros
free meals
Cons
benifits
upper management needs more people skills, company doesn't aprreciate loyal workers was with company for 20 years they don't like to promote within
Lead Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2016
a typical day at work involved keeping the customer happy and relaying information to the staff on a regular basis.
I learned about payroll and some billing I also trained myself as well as other staff how to be productive with the lack of training from the company.
management this was the worst management team I have worked for no compassion for family or health issues overworked and underpaid.
I enjoyed working with my co workers they made the job tolerable.
the hardest part of the job was not being appreciated.
the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the different backgrounds races and ethnicity groups.
Pros
free lunch all you can eat
Cons
health care and low wages
He** on Earth
Equipment Assembler (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2016
A typical day coming to work is you being crazy tired from the previous day so you come in 30 mins late ( they are lenient on the lateness cause they are desperate for people) and you get put in a area based on weather not your a good but kisser. You do the hard jobs if your not Old or Asian, and all they hire is old people and Asians so if your a different race you will be busting your back. The co workers are sometimes drama but most of the time we stick together and have fun. The most enjoyable part is going TF HOME. Management are snakes they smile in your face and talk about you behind closed doors, and if your not willing to be their slaves they will isolate you and make you cry and want to quit, or they will conspire to get you fired. What i have learned is doing a good job should be rewarded not punished by giving me harder work with the same pay.
Pros
Free lunch(sometimes good)
Cons
Management, Pay(for the amount of work we do)
Worst job ever!!
Assembly (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 18, 2016
This company is a joke the position requires at least four people but is only one person to a station job. They have people who don't even speak English train you so most of the time your lost. The supervisor hounds you to finish your work and walks around doing absolutely nothing. I set up more than 100 carts a day and that's still not enough for the 8.33 cents I am being paid. This company has a high turnover rate because nobody cares to make any changes or listen. The older employees do whatever they please and get the easier job while I get paid less money to work harder. Inaddition you never go home on time ever being an equipment assembler you can't plan anything in advance because you have no idea the time you will be going home.
Pros
Cons
Mangement, rude coworkers, favoritism, not able to ever finish on time
Never a dull moment at Gate Gourmet.
Food Operation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at gate gourmet is supervising 80 employees daily briefing and stretches to communicate coach, and fix previous day issues, at the same time communicate same day and future expectations. Give associates daily meal counts and do quality checks on meals.
I have learned time management, productivity management, inventory and waste control.
My co-workers are a hard working team, I really enjoyed working with everyone at gate gourmet.
the hardest part of the job is working with out product/material, as all flights have a kitchen ready time and a lot of the product was not available in house to meet deadline, making it very challenging to meet company's expectations and productivity.
I enjoyed the challenge of a fast paced environment and working with all associates, solving problems and with my team. I really enjoyed when all flights were finalized and delivered.
Pros
Free lunch for all employees at Gategourmet.

Want to know more about GateGourmet?

Ask a question
True slave camp
Customer Service Representative/ Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2016
Horrible company to work for, the management ire unorganized, the coworkers were great, that is if you can handle the daily high school like atmosphere, upper and middle management have show little to none care about your personal or family life... Great place if your looking for overtime.... Bad if you have young children or in school yourself!!
Pros
FREE LUNCH, AIRPORT EXPERIENCE
Cons
MANAGEMENT ON ALL LEVELS LACK OF APPRECIATION ON ALL LEVELS
Sorry to say, but this company has the worse amangement ever!
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 10, 2015
This was the place were I met the best people, which many seems to be very unhappy not just with management but with the company overall. The benefits are not the best. Pay is good but the company does nt offer too much advancement with in the company.
Pros
great pay!
Cons
not good benefits
Awful place to work...They do not care about the employees at all...
Current driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2016
Vehicles have no A/C in the summer and are the worst looking catering trucks on the field..They abuse you and if you get injured it's your fault...Management is horrible...They offer free food but most drivers rarely get an opportunity to eat..No advancement....Low pay...Would not recommend working there.....
Pros
None that I can think of....
Cons
The company as a whole...
Very arrogant management
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  ROSEMONT, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Applied for a job and Manager tells me "I want someone that fits the role." Exuse Me Explitive! You did NOT major in HUMAN RESOURCES and you have a JOB as a HUMAN Resource Manager. After they Told me this they were PROMOTED to Director of Human Resources Only to QUIT!
Pros
Near the transporatation Hub of O'Hare in Rosemont, IL Provided Lunch or Dinner
Cons
VERY ARROGANT MANAGEMENT

Comment – March 31, 2016

Horrible
Gate Serve Assembler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2016
This was the worst job ever. Management did not care about their employees and how they treated them. They were insensitive toward the disabled people and forced other peoples work upon you. Favoritism was shown daily.
Pros
Free snacks and drinks
Cons
Bad management
Unorganized
Equipment Assembly (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2016
Working here will have you in aw. The work is back breaking and the pay for the work is not enough. This is an $8.24 per hour job that should pay at least $10 per hour.
Pros
free lunches, pay every week
Cons
hard labor minimum pay, mandatory OT
Good learning experience
Exec. Assistant to the Chief Commercial Officer (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 23, 2015
During my tenure at Gate Gourmet I learned a lot about the commercial catering business as well as the service industry as it applies to airlines.
I increased my practical knowledge of excel and other Microsoft applications.

I enjoyed the ability to work from home. I enjoyed working with my bosses (all three of them) and my other co-workers. The company focuses on 4 values and tries to reinforce them through awards and incentives.
Pros
telework, flexible hours
Cons
a lot of company restructuring happening, lack of effective communications from management, benefits
fun beinging on airfield
Driver/Caterer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2016
enjoyed catering planes hated the hours and pay was low worked in horrible weather be it snow rain extreme heat wasn't able to leave work until your last plane came in that could be 12hours after your shift started the company never cared about your safety just you getting the plane catered
Pros
long hour in crappie weather
Cons
no time for self
productive fun workplace
Food Assembler (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 9, 2016
a typical day of work was basically simple food assembly fulltime 8 hours a day,i learned to work as part of a team,i enjoyed management,i enjoyed working with my coworkers,the hardest part of the job was getting up at 4 am,the most enjoyable part of the job was getting paid each week
Pass
Transportation Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 10, 2016
Not a good place to advance in but you could make pretty good money doing limitless overtime. Always stay on your P's and Q's
Pros
pay
Cons
not enough breaks