GateGourmet Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work - Because of the Employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  SAN/SEADecember 3, 2016
Management has to learn how to care for employees and understand their people. Human factor is not relevant to many of them which makes for a bitter work environment. Overall - the pay is above industry standard for the line of work and the benefits are fair. If they can get the employee treatment thing down, this would be a great place to work. The employees are dedicated and make the work fun. I managed/supervised two stations in my time with them - San Diego and Seattle.
Pros
Free food, great teamwork and attitudes.
Cons
Bad treatment of employees.
This is one of my favorite jobs i had.
CSA - Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 14, 2016
A typical day at gate gourmet went pretty smooth depending on your shift. I learned so much at this job, about airplanes and how it really takes a big team for everything to run smoothly. Management was horrible. They never stuck to anything they said they we're constantly in drama and changing the rules. My co workers were nice but loved drama. The hardest part of this job was trying to keep up with all of the rule changes. The easiest part of this job was learning how things woked.
Pros
Free lunches, high pay
Cons
Hard on the joints of the body, expensive insurence
Incompetent Leadership and Not Employee Centered
Director (Current Employee) –  Reston, VANovember 2, 2016
Bad company. Low margin, labor and capital intensive business results in employees being stretched in order to achieve operational and financial performance. No investment in people or processes. Sold in early 2016 to HNA (a Chinese conglomerate). Poor leadership produced by a revolving door in HQ. I personally witnessed employee disrespect both in management and field personnel. Provided poor food to employees and this from a food service company. Poor pay, no training, wants one employee to do the job of two or three. Yet they keep underperforming employees because they can't go anywhere else. Stay away.
Pros
Cons
Incompetent Leadership, Poor Pay, No Respect for People
It's not fun and low pay no money
Porter (Former Employee) –  1500 Jackson LandingOctober 3, 2016
This job will make you do hard work and of money you can not live and survive off of this company you would need two or three jobs to survive the benefits is high for a little money you make the Union is not good they take your money every month and you still make a little bit of money they say you were going to get a raise but they lie all the time so they can get they way they have you in a position for a long time and then they move you from that position if your application say you were for this positioned they move you this company is not a good company if you trying to survive this company would not do
very fun to work for
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILNovember 2, 2016
very, very busy what i learned is how to be a production inspector management was great as well my co-workers were very helpful if one slack they would be there to pick you up the hardest part was staying awake cause it was grave yard shift the most enjoyable part was getting our work finish.
Pros
free lunch and dinner
Cons
working in 40 degree weather all year around
Gate Gourmet
Pantry Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2016
I worked in the pantry it was ok but when it was cold outside it's sometimes cold inside because I'm working with food especially the fruit. Times would get hard when extra flights would come in or someone else was slacking so that made it harder sometimes for us to catch up. I enjoyed working with the company and meeting new people of different races.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
working in the cold
Corrosive work environment
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIAugust 27, 2016
With the current management at this company run away as fast as you can. They go through employees daily. New employees last an average of 3days. Then all the other employees must pick up the extra work while management sits in their office or goes home. Then you are reprimanded for not doing the job of four total employees and also the overtime spent trying to complete all the extra work.
Pros
Most other employees are hardworking, good people. Free lunches
Cons
Broke promises in regards to hours, responsibilities, and most of all, wages. Promised raises even following positive work evaluations are a lie.
Good place to work, aircraft industry
Truck Driver Class B (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2016
Aircraft is a huge industry, which Gate Gourmet takes pride in servicing planes with meals, and excellent tasting snacks, in your home away from home for a short period of time. Gate Gourmet again is the leading food prep for most airlines.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Co-workers are not appreciative of positions
Field of Snakes
Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYAugust 9, 2016
No room for growth due to everyone being in everyone else's pocket. Married managers are fraternizing with employees, preferential treatment is a norm, verbal abuse is accepted and covered up and discrimination is the only core value shared.They need to be investigated.Human Resources rep on location is complacent and powerless.
It's a dependable job with benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2016
If u like working outside in the weather .its ok . all the over time u want and don't want .its a mandatory 4hr hold on employees on a daily basis .Management sucks .they treat their employees like children . There are no pay raises issued.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Awful place to work...They do not care about the employees at all...
Current driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2016
Vehicles have no A/C in the summer and are the worst looking catering trucks on the field..They abuse you and if you get injured it's your fault...Management is horrible...They offer free food but most drivers rarely get an opportunity to eat..No advancement....Low pay...Would not recommend working there.....
Pros
None that I can think of....
Cons
The company as a whole...
Gate Gourmet was a cool place to work. I got along famously with my co-workers.
Food Assembler (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2016
Gate Gourmet was an okay place to work. I got over time anytime I wanted. And I also was thoroughly explained on how to do the task that I was assigned.
Pros
we received free lunch and beverages
Cons
the benefits were expensive.
upper management needs more people skills, company doesn't aprreciate loyal workers was with company for 20 years they don't like to promote within
Lead Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2016
a typical day at work involved keeping the customer happy and relaying information to the staff on a regular basis.
I learned about payroll and some billing I also trained myself as well as other staff how to be productive with the lack of training from the company.
management this was the worst management team I have worked for no compassion for family or health issues overworked and underpaid.
I enjoyed working with my co workers they made the job tolerable.
the hardest part of the job was not being appreciated.
the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the different backgrounds races and ethnicity groups.
Pros
free lunch all you can eat
Cons
health care and low wages
productive and fast pace
Equipment Assembler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2016
I loved my job there. I am very people oriented. I worked where ever the supervisor told me to work without any issues. Once I was taught a position I worked until the job was complete. I learned most jobs fast.
Pros
I was able to work several positions
Plenty of opportunities for advancement
Operations Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89119November 21, 2016
Plenty of opportunities for advancement as long as you show commitment. Decent pay, commitment to employees. Does require long hours at times but can be a plus.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, expensive healthcare
Productive and challenging work that provided a lot of teamwork.
Certified Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2016
Load up airplanes with food and drinks for next flight. Had to be timely fashion. Two to a plane so team work was a must. Learned a lot and met a lot of successful people along the way.
Productive and a greatv place to work
Equipment Clerk/Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 1, 2016
A typical work day would be to log in on time, starting packaging meals to be delivered to United Airlines for the passenger manifest. I learned how meals or prep and process for the safety of the food. Management was good, made sure breaks, were taken and lunch time was given , or if overtime was needed. My co-workers worked as a team player and helped out at times if an co-worker was behind. The hardest part of the job making sure every meal was accounted for and extra meals were given.
Pros
Interacting with my co-workers
Cons
N/A
Very good company willing to grow
TRANSPORTATION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILDecember 1, 2016
They offer a lot of opportunities and most of the people are hard working employees doing their best to be a leader industry. This company is looking for great candidates to help the company grow with them.
Quality Assurance Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hapeville, GASeptember 20, 2016
Work as team players
Management work well with employees
Very fun work place employees work together as a team to get the job done.
Management shows appreciation to employees
General manager very friendly and professional
Great job
Cold food (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 15, 2016
Always stay positive and dress warm.. Working gave me a chance to work harder and show off my customer service skills... the job was fun making
Food people for who flying all over the world and give them what they ask and pay for ..
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very cold

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GateGourmet. Our community is ready to answer.