GateGourmet Employee Reviews

No managment at all
expoditor / gate keeper (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CADecember 6, 2015
i worked for them for 6 months in 2014 i will tell if you are going to work in the south san francisco location you must learn fluent mandarin or cantonese 90% of the people dont speak english i was an expoditor/gate keeper in the final cooler this was the most unorganized place i have ever worked in everybody did what they want the driver and driver helpers will pull flights early with missing items or just leave a whole cart behind and the pantry or galley will get ripped a new one for it the kitchen even if its not thier fault the flight checkers are the punching bags for when things go bad as well and when someone isnt getting yelled you pretty much do what you want rules dont really mean much here the work it self is pretty straight forward and simple an 8 year could do it count it and bag it well if you are a checker its a little more difficult you need to train your self there is no propper training its all guess work you walk in they tell you this person is your trainer and 90% of the time they dont speak english so your on your own and as for cleanliness epic fail never fly united if you do dont eat the food, the food carts and the ovens that the hot food is packed in are never clean they come off one flight and then reload and pushed right back out to the next flight with the burnt crusty stuff no washing need i guess...not even a once over with a clean rag. The best thing about this place was the free ice cream and candy and well i met a few good friends from the 10 people that spoke english out of the 250 employees they have
Pros
Free Lunch Free candy
Cons
no accountability everyone blames everyone
Needlessly overworked, egregiously underpaid.
Cold Food Assembler (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2013
For me, a typical day at work is about 9-10 hours of making salads & fruit appetizers in a large 40 degree cooler to be consumed by passengers on flights leaving LAX with our contracted clients. Management which communicates poorly with both the workforce & other members of management hinders progress frequently & creates a stream of misinformation on a nearly daily basis. My co-workers are mostly very nice, happy people, but the vast majority of the workforce here is Hispanic & many speak little to no English, making practical communication very difficult at times. I enjoy making the items & learning about the airline food industry, but getting paid barely above minimum wage for long hours of work that is hard on your respiratory system, feet, joints, & back makes it difficult to maintain a positive attitude, especially when management is combative & not supportive.
Pros
food is provided for all workers free of charge, overtime is readily available for those who want it, workforce is mostly friendly
Cons
1 year wait to be eligible for most benefits, including paid time off & sick leave, poor management, long hours, constant 40 degree temperature work space, entire shift done while standing, no headphones or outside food of any kind allowed, difficult & broken lines of communication
Opportunity for greatness
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2013
This was a company that had some issues. The great thing was that they recognized that there were challenges and were open to making the appropriate changes to move forward.
For me this meant that there were plenty of opportunities to share my knowledge. It was such a great growth opportunity for me. I was able to lead the charge by revamping the on boarding process, creating a mentor program, and developing training programs for managers to work on issues to help change the culture to one that was more in tune with employee needs.
Personally, I loved being able to roll up my sleeves and create programs and solutions to the daily issues that plagued the company and hindered it from reaching it's goals.
I learned that trust and respect are key to working to change a culture. It is so important that managers and employees trust that you have their best interest at heart and that you have their back as well. As an HR professional, I think it is so important for managers to know they can come to you for guidance and not feel that they are being judged.
Pros
free lunch, dedicated people, senior leaders with vision
Cons
change is not easy
Gate Gourmet (worse job ever)
dishwasher (Current Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 15, 2013
I'm currently working for this company, I chosen this job because ,as we all know its hard to find one. Im grateful i have this job but, this company really blows. The people there barely speak any english, most of them are foreigners. The management is very sloppy, plus this job under pays people. Your job can be dishwasher but have you doing porter work (janitor). My problem is pay rate and schedule assigning. The only time I enjoy my job is Monday and Tuesday when the manager is not there, things get done alot faster. They've fired one guy because he took two days off for the weekend, which he has a reason too, they worked him 3 weeks with no days off and fired him for calling out. So this company will work you to death, nobody barely speaks english and basically getting rid of every black, white, Asian American person there is so they can hire their own people to work and slave them for minimum wage. This company stay away from it. I regret working here!!!!
Pros
1 break for 30 min and lunch break for 30 min and free food
Cons
below pay rate, no advancements, too many overtimes, no set schedules
Great environment to develop skills
Sourcing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 26, 2015
GateGourmet has been a great introduction to the full-time office/workplace and has been integral in allowing me to develop the skills necessary to thrive in a professional environment. I have learned how to communicate effectively, both internally with my team members and other departments, as well as externally with clients and suppliers. My proficiency in programs such as MS Outlook & Excel, as well as SAP has dramatically improved and I have also learned how to efficiently manage my time.

The hardest part about this job is balancing and prioritizing the numerous projects that we are tasked with, many that arise unexpectedly or at the last minute. Despite these challenges, it is very fulfilling managing my projects and accounts and knowing that the work I put in resulted in my accounts running smoothly.
Pros
very relaxed, friendly environment; work involves food
Cons
not fantastic workplace culture (no interaction outside of office)
Never a dull moment at Gate Gourmet.
Food Operation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at gate gourmet is supervising 80 employees daily briefing and stretches to communicate coach, and fix previous day issues, at the same time communicate same day and future expectations. Give associates daily meal counts and do quality checks on meals.
I have learned time management, productivity management, inventory and waste control.
My co-workers are a hard working team, I really enjoyed working with everyone at gate gourmet.
the hardest part of the job is working with out product/material, as all flights have a kitchen ready time and a lot of the product was not available in house to meet deadline, making it very challenging to meet company's expectations and productivity.
I enjoyed the challenge of a fast paced environment and working with all associates, solving problems and with my team. I really enjoyed when all flights were finalized and delivered.
Pros
Free lunch for all employees at Gategourmet.
Fun,hard work,easy,independent,team player
Porter/Janitor/ production (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2014
My review about Gate Gourmet . Working for them is hard work sometime simple but you had to be a fast learner cause their was a lot of flight to do so you would have to be fast on your feet and always ready to do overtime and a great job even if you have to be a porter. A porter is the people that clean up the company meaning as mopping and sweep every second and taking up trash and you got to know how to use a forklift or hand truck to move pallets from one place to another or anything for that reason and the dock. your really going to need it for the dock cause their are lots of supplies that need to be put and the building to be work on the next day. cleaning bathroom his/her,dishes,window ,outside/inside,parking lot,the inside of all cooler ,walls. Gate Gourmet is for a person that like to work have fun and making money lots of money.
Pros
free lunch, great food, and all the drink you want.
Cons
break are good
My First *Real Job*
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2012
I had other menial jobs before, but this was my first full-time job that allowed me to make a living as a young adult.

My daily routine was pretty simple. So simple that I practically mastered it after a couple of months. The pay was pretty good for my standard of living at the time, besides, I also worked lots of overtime (20+ hours of overtime per week). Working at Gate Gourmet taught me how to get along in an average work environment. There were people of all age groups there, and also people of different backgrounds and nationalities. The diversity, I believe, helped a lot (but sometimes the barriers lead to trouble).

I felt that management in my department could have been better. They got their jobs done, but barely. Their tendency to cut corners and take shorts almost cost the company several big contracts.

Overall, working at Gate Gourmet was a good experience.
High volume, fast paced, production warehouse atmosphere.
New Hire Support Specialist- Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 3, 2013
The shifts run 24 hours around the clock (based on the daily Delta flight schedules). At any given time there can be a sudden change in flight status or equipment. Very detail oriented atmosphere. I learned how to effectively communicate with several hundred different cultures. The co workers are very couragous and bold and love to pro - actively dominate and own their assigned projects (i.e. FMLA, PAFs, Taleo & Ulti Pro Recruiting. The Management is very supportive and motivational. The hardest part of my job and have dual roles of an administrative clerk and a physical on site Public Relations Specialist. The most enjoyable part of my job is to be informative to those lacking information relevant to any urgent problem they may have.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
expensive benefits, no bonuses or promotions.
Gate Gourmet is an international company set up specifically to re-provision aircrafts at airports across the world.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2013
Gate Gourmet is set up as 24-hour kitchen that will simultaneously re-provision aircrafts of any one of a number of airlines. Meeting logistic deadlines are critical to this industry. Charges and penalties for delay of aircraft are a constant challenge for the operation. Variety of meal requirement vary not only from flight to floght but from airline to airline. A typical operation may have 300-400 employees on a shift and the operation may have three -four shifts per day. The treatment of its employees is on a minimum wage basis across the board without other benefits. Thus, very poor enployee relations with a draconian management style.
Pros
very few pros relating to this company.
Cons
a real need to review its employee/management relationship.
Diverse group of fellow co-workers and job responsibilities.
Administrative Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2014
I update, revise, fix daily dispatch paper to delivery to the departments. I work with several databases such as CXP, IFX4, Airvision, Skywest and more.The dispatch paper gives information to different departments in order to cater the planes going out of O'hare for the day. I learned how to create data for a extra flight added to the original dispatch sheet for the day. My co-worker is always available for any questions I have concerning my job responsibilities. The hardest part is getting back to back changes for planes services which takes time to recreate and delivery to the floor. I enjoy completing my day of work on a timely basis with now incidents.
Pros
free lunch, nice cafeteria, friendly working environment
Cons
long hours, sometimes short breaks, always overtime.
not a good job, Dishonest management
Dispatcher/ CSA (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 6, 2015
I was working as a CSA (Driver Helper) for a year before getting promoted to Dispatcher. Well thats what I thought, I worked as a dispatcher for 7 months and I wasnt getting paid for being a dispatcher. I was still getting paid as a CSA. I complained to management about the my raise I was lied to by the management and the HR manager promising back pay and a raise i did not recieve any back pay or raise from them. Nothing ever was resolved. I could not take the deception and lies any longer so I left. This is not a good place to work. The employee meals are not free as advertised. I caught expired food in the lunchroom a couple times and management did nothing. Also, 95% of the time transportation workers have no breaks and lunch breaks.
Pros
Cons
no free lunches as advertised, dishonest management
Work-friendly atmosphere
BILLING SUPERVISOR/FINANCE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 24, 2013
While working for GateGourmet, an employee must always be able to handle change Each airline serviced, would put out monthly schedules and catering requirements, so in order to provide for a client, changes were always imminent Due to economy, and air safety in general, many changes were also put in place The co-workers in my office also became work-friends, pleasant to get
along with, airline catering employees were always changing due to
turn-over The hardest part of the day, might have been the gathering of information from the day before, simply because so many individuals were involved, the most enjoyable part would be
the success of having met the managers goals
Pros
decent benefits and free lunches
Cons
sitting for long periods of time
Great employees to work with in the galley.
Galley Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of getting out flight sheets, cleaning out plane carts, gathering and setting up all the items that went into the cart and restocking them. I learned the process of how food was distributed and packed into a plane cart. Management was great! They were cordial and fair and when extra flights were added at the last minute they helped the workers without question. The hardest part of the job was cleaning hundreds of glass dishes before the deadline and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with such a helpful and friendly staff.
Pros
nice fast paced enviroment with great workers.
Cons
morning shifts are hard to bid for for new employees becuase of the seniority of current employees.
Lousy Management. No room for growth. High turnover Rate.
Food Assembler (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 22, 2015
Management are lousy and unprofessional. They will pretend that this is the best company to work for during interviewing process but once you work there, it is totally opposite. The pay is low for the type of work you do, lousy coworkers who stab one another behind their backs. Coworkers are constantly leaving and putting their two weeks in. No room for growth and on my first week of working there coworkers told me "I wouldn't work here if I were you" but I can defintitly see why now. But if you are desperate for income until you find another job I would say this is for you
Pros
Free Lunchs
Cons
Short Breaks, No Outside food, Can't leave work during lunch. High Turn Over rate. No room for improvements. Bad management.
Very busy productive place.
flight coordinator (Former Employee) –  South San FranciscoJune 16, 2015
Gate Gourmet has its ups and downs but overall its a place that keeps you busy and it becomes your second home. The gate life is what we call you become one big family my coworkers were the best and I was one of the youngest out of the coordinators but I kept up. Iearned great customer service here the hardest part of my job I would say is trying my hardest not to get a delay especially when you have so much on your mind,its a lot of mulit-tasking going on but once you get it you wont forget it.The part I enjoyed most was going to field were you meet with flight attendants and pilots and discuss meals and other great stuff.Overall it was a great experience management was great and I was able to learn alot.
Pros
free meals
Cons
benifits
Daily work
Ramp guide (Current Employee) –  Atlanta Ga.August 7, 2014
I am a driver helper so i am either help the driver get to the plane and cater their flights or just guide them to their flight. I learned how a plane is catered but nothing more. The management is bad due to the fact that they don't take advice, they put there employees in potions to get in trouble and to be fired. My co-workers okay people like everywhere some good some not so good but you learn who you can and can not deal with. The hardest part of my job sometimes is the waiting on the planes to come in cause I'm a man that don't sit still too long I like to keep moving it makes the time go by faster. The most enjoyable part is not being still and meeting new people like the flight attendant.
Pros
i'm outside and the expirence
Cons
no raises, poor health insurance plan
Productive place of work for long term emloyment
Equipment Processor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 6, 2014
Gate Gourmet is a very fast paced environment that caters Delta International flights. Flights are constant so the work will be also. You must be able to stand on your feet for long periods of time here. The management, staff, and other co-workers here (unit 302) are awesome. I was always told if you cannot find a best friend at work then you're in the wrong place. It is a culturally diverse place to work so you learn about different cultures everyday. It is not a hard job to do but the work you do is plentiful and the pay is scarce. It is dangerously hard to advance in this company because you are competing by seniority.
Pros
free meals, cool discounts, nice people
Cons
extremely low pay, no room to advance
Horrible work experience - worst executive staff in my 20+ year career
Director (Former Employee) –  Reston, VaNovember 26, 2013
Nothing but politics, narcissistic and stupid people run the company. Greedy as you can get at the VP and C level. There was nothing enjoyable about my day as I spent my time with staff members who were crying and stressed out use to the rude and demeaning nature of executives. My entire group quit in less than one year and it is very difficult to retain people, as anyone in their right mind quits. I did not learn anything except about lies of executive management and corporate greed!
Not worth the little money you are paid and don't believe them when they say they will give you a bonus. They haven't paid out to most people in over 6 years. Only to the cronies!
Cons
everything
No advancement . Not a place to start a career.
Driver/Food Catering (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYJanuary 3, 2013
I was a driver at LGA airport , the job was way too much and believe me it's more then your share of work .
On a regular normal set schedule you would have 6 flights to do . Strip and load flights meaning you would strip the old equipment and replace with new equipment . They would give each Driver 8 to 9 flights a day without a helper . The Mangement is the worst , all they cared about was how to save money for the end of the year Christmas bonus. They would cut over-time and add more flights to each driver . Plus they would give you a hard time when you wanted to get paid lunch . Most of the time you didn't have a chance to take a break .
Pros
job security
Cons
low pay for a the load of work you get . and no benefits .