GateGourmet Employee Reviews

Gate Gourmet is a fun and fast paced job.
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 15, 2016
A typical day for me at Gate Gourmet would consist of me coming in checking with dispatch to get the flights that I will be catering.Once that is done I proceed to a computer to locate my flights on the kitchen floor. After locating my flights I then go and make sure all of my carts are there for the flight. I make sure that the flight is iced and the meals are with the flight so that the passengers on the plane will have cold beverages to drink and food to eat on there commute. I return back to the kitchen to offload my truck. I then head back to dispatch to get more flights and repeat the process in a safe manner. Safety First.
Pros
Paid weekly and works through a union.
Cons
A lot of non stop movement and barely a chance to eat.
Great Place to Work - Because of the Employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  SAN/SEADecember 3, 2016
Management has to learn how to care for employees and understand their people. Human factor is not relevant to many of them which makes for a bitter work environment. Overall - the pay is above industry standard for the line of work and the benefits are fair. If they can get the employee treatment thing down, this would be a great place to work. The employees are dedicated and make the work fun. I managed/supervised two stations in my time with them - San Diego and Seattle.
Pros
Free food, great teamwork and attitudes.
Cons
Bad treatment of employees.
Very good company willing to grow
TRANSPORTATION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILDecember 1, 2016
They offer a lot of opportunities and most of the people are hard working employees doing their best to be a leader industry. This company is looking for great candidates to help the company grow with them.
Unprofessional
EPA Lead (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2016
The job could be a great job if management didnt have favoritism going on. Cleanliness issues. An poor worker compensation. Its a good job to have to get you from A to B
Pros
Gives you lunch
Cons
They promote the people with poor work etic
Good place to work, aircraft industry
Truck Driver Class B (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2016
Aircraft is a huge industry, which Gate Gourmet takes pride in servicing planes with meals, and excellent tasting snacks, in your home away from home for a short period of time. Gate Gourmet again is the leading food prep for most airlines.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Co-workers are not appreciative of positions
Productive and challenging work that provided a lot of teamwork.
Certified Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2016
Load up airplanes with food and drinks for next flight. Had to be timely fashion. Two to a plane so team work was a must. Learned a lot and met a lot of successful people along the way.
Plenty of opportunities for advancement
Operations Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89119November 21, 2016
Plenty of opportunities for advancement as long as you show commitment. Decent pay, commitment to employees. Does require long hours at times but can be a plus.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, expensive healthcare
I was happy
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 21, 2016
I was happy working for this company but they salary was very low, since it was a government agency, there was a lot of paper work need to make things done.
Great job
Cold food (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 15, 2016
Always stay positive and dress warm.. Working gave me a chance to work harder and show off my customer service skills... the job was fun making
Food people for who flying all over the world and give them what they ask and pay for ..
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very cold
This is one of my favorite jobs i had.
CSA - Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 14, 2016
A typical day at gate gourmet went pretty smooth depending on your shift. I learned so much at this job, about airplanes and how it really takes a big team for everything to run smoothly. Management was horrible. They never stuck to anything they said they we're constantly in drama and changing the rules. My co workers were nice but loved drama. The hardest part of this job was trying to keep up with all of the rule changes. The easiest part of this job was learning how things woked.
Pros
Free lunches, high pay
Cons
Hard on the joints of the body, expensive insurence
Fun place to work
Food Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 13, 2016
They have an award incentive if there are no accidents. Bingo, a number is picked daily which makes it exciting to check your card daily. Hundreds of dollars are awarded to winner.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very demanding place to work
work place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2016
hectic work schedule
how to cater planes and better my customer service
management sucks
co workers are okay
the hours
the most enjoyable part of the job meeting new people
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hour change daily
productive and fast pace
Equipment Assembler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2016
I loved my job there. I am very people oriented. I worked where ever the supervisor told me to work without any issues. Once I was taught a position I worked until the job was complete. I learned most jobs fast.
Pros
I was able to work several positions
Good paying job - lots of overtime
Head Cook - Special Meals Section (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 10, 2016
A good paying company although the working environment is not so good. Pretty good benefits as well. Not enough personnel to do all tasks
It's a dependable job with benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2016
If u like working outside in the weather .its ok . all the over time u want and don't want .its a mandatory 4hr hold on employees on a daily basis .Management sucks .they treat their employees like children . There are no pay raises issued.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
very fun to work for
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILNovember 2, 2016
very, very busy what i learned is how to be a production inspector management was great as well my co-workers were very helpful if one slack they would be there to pick you up the hardest part was staying awake cause it was grave yard shift the most enjoyable part was getting our work finish.
Pros
free lunch and dinner
Cons
working in 40 degree weather all year around
Incompetent Leadership and Not Employee Centered
Director (Current Employee) –  Reston, VANovember 2, 2016
Bad company. Low margin, labor and capital intensive business results in employees being stretched in order to achieve operational and financial performance. No investment in people or processes. Sold in early 2016 to HNA (a Chinese conglomerate). Poor leadership produced by a revolving door in HQ. I personally witnessed employee disrespect both in management and field personnel. Provided poor food to employees and this from a food service company. Poor pay, no training, wants one employee to do the job of two or three. Yet they keep underperforming employees because they can't go anywhere else. Stay away.
Pros
Cons
Incompetent Leadership, Poor Pay, No Respect for People
Overtime
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 1, 2016
They do overtime by seniority which is stupid in my opinion and unfair to other workers and there's to much favoritism going on
Cons
Good
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 28, 2016
One of the best job I've had and great experience. Great Management/co workers, professional & great opportunities. Very flexible with schedule. Good place to work.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Compensation
Gate Gourmet was a cool place to work. I got along famously with my co-workers.
Food Assembler (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2016
Gate Gourmet was an okay place to work. I got over time anytime I wanted. And I also was thoroughly explained on how to do the task that I was assigned.
Pros
we received free lunch and beverages
Cons
the benefits were expensive.