Gatehouse Media Employee Reviews

Not a career option
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARAugust 9, 2017
A typical day in the MAILROOM includes trying to make deadlines that nearly impossible because of sometimes technical and mechanical issues that occur. The management does their best to get the job within a reasonable amount of time despite these issues, using the crew provided. Despite this the atmosphere is usually friendly and a tad relaxed, though it is considered a adult environment at times. Shifts do not end at a particular time, rather when the work is done for that day. This means that the hours can run long at times which can be a both a good and bad thing. Also, this job requires a lot of standing.
Fun bunch to work with, very fast paced
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJuly 27, 2017
Many deadlines to be met. Very fast paced. Jobs can change day to day. Do a lot of extra to pick up for fee employees. Fun job to work at, competitive pay.
Fun workplace
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 17, 2017
I love working for Gatehouse I just need something that will have room for advancement. All of the people there are wonderful to work for and everyone gets along well.
Very nice place to work.
IT Support specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsford, NYJuly 14, 2017
Everyone is friendly from day one and wouldn't change anything about the atmosphere. No mid year or annual reviews in return means no raises. Plenty of Job security in departments within IT. Other departments I cannot speak of. Great place for entry level especially fresh out of school.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Salary
Poor product , Poor Management
Multi Media Representative (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAJuly 11, 2017
More products that do not work to sell, high goals, job description constantly changes, I have not had a raise in base salary in almost 20 years , silly initiatives
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No raise in base salary
Energetic and Creative Marketing Solutions
Multimedia Specialist, manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTJuly 6, 2017
I enjoy working with my team and my customers. This position gives you the opportunity to reach goals and achieve recognition for you talents. I have been lucky enough to have worked with and been trained by some of the best in the business. My customers are my main priority, I try to make sure I meet their needs while staying within a comfortable budget. I create campaigns and help them with ideas to promote business. Many small businesses are just too busy to think about what they need. At Gatehouse Media we are trained professionals who can guide them by simply asking the customer a few questions about their business, their goals and desires. I have had the pleasure of seeing many of my recommendations succeed and have retained long term commitments for many many years. I also like the challenge of the difficult account, and working with local majors.
Pros
freedom of being on the road, creativity.
Cons
long hours some days - but if you are striving to hit your numbers it pays off.
Horrible... Run Away!
Multimedia Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  PAJune 26, 2017
This is the worst place I've ever worked! The management is horrible, ride your back even if your productive, and make false claims about you or create something just to have drama.
Pros
None!
Horrible place
Accoints Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 19, 2017
The pay isn't worth the work load. Always short staffed. Leadership is a fake and care about their salaries more than their employees. They terminate people for petty unjustifiable reasons. This place is not worth working for at all. Waste of time and unnecessary stress.
Pros
None!
Cons
Management, communication, pay, etc.
Don't work here, just another cork in the machine
GRAPHIC DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
At first glance, you think you will be able to have creative input in page design at Gatehouse but it's very limited and there is little to no growth opportunities here. They also treat employees with disrespect as if we can't do our jobs even though I feel overqualified to be working here, it's so easy. I'm a very creative person and this jobs shuts that down quickly. Hardest part of the job: working with bosses who don't allow you to move up, and working with editors who can't do their job correctly. Any enjoyable part: leaving at the end of the day.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Short breaks, limited benefits, no mobility in growth
Family atmosphere with great commission opportunities
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIApril 26, 2017
I worked as an Inside Sales Rep in Holland, MI and loved going to work every single day. Pay was great, hourly + commission; a regular day was busy but usually not stressful. Coworkers were like family. Customers were usually pleasant. My supervisor, Haley, was amazing, but the rest of management was sort of a mess there. One sales manager quit, and then shortly after corporate came in and fired the editor and then the head sales manager. Even with those setbacks my day-to-day remained pretty stress free though.
Pros
Awesome compensation, work/life balance
Cons
Not much room for position advancement, job security
Not great
Design Journalist/ Copy Editor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 25, 2017
This is not a good job for an established adult. Sometimes you work 10-17 days straight and the pay is terrible. Management is completely ineffective and clueless. This place is the McDonald's of newspapers.
Poor management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 23, 2017
Management is awful co-workers are Great. Worked customer service had to work every weekend! I worked customer service taking calls on missed papers and payments. Price just goes up all the time and losing customers daily.
Pros
Got paid
Cons
Every weekend no options
too much work placed on too few people. No raises, just more work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Neosho, MOApril 12, 2017
This was a terrible company that puts profits way above people. They had to shut down papers, but look forward to spending 300 million on new acquisitions
Pros
Cons
poor management, no raises, no opportunity
Long Island Business News
Sales Executive/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 15, 2017
Great place to work. The management team communicates well and creates a team atmosphere. They offer many opportunities through Google training in becoming a better digital sales executive. The team supports each other and management is always willing to create new ideas so you can hit your goals.
Pros
Team atmosphere. Flexible work schedule and bagels on Fridays
Cons
They want you to hit and exceed your goals every month, The good news is when I do its more money in my pocket.
Money Hungry
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAMarch 8, 2017
This company doesn't care about it's employees or it's customers. Just worried about making the quickest buck. The most enjoyable part of the job was the day I quit. Management..? What?
Pros
it's a job, nothing spectacular
It is a paper route!!
Paper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHFebruary 18, 2017
Duh, you drop papers in the early morning hours, collect a check, do it everyday. There is no day off and if you like a lot of heavy lifting and very little compensation for each paper that you drop then this is for you. IT is back hurting, arms rubbery feeling and freezing your ninny's off work. But it is rewarding in knowing that the people on your route love you and appreciate what you do. So does your District Manager. The rest, well it kind of sucks.
Pros
easy way to make a few hundred dollars a month.
Cons
early mornings, bad roads, little pay per paper.
Small papers through US.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILFebruary 15, 2017
I worked in the accounting area. Many invoices were processed automatically with approval from the accounting area. The management in the area I was in needed improvement with communication and handling challenges that came up. The benefits were good. Advancement did not occur and the area was limited.
Pros
Flexiable lunches, health care
Cons
management not attentive to needs of employees
Don't work for them !!
Assistant Production Manager (Current Employee) –  ColumbiaFebruary 2, 2017
The are just bad !! The tell you your job is safe and then take it away. The promise you your bonus is on it's way ther just running behind then tell you your not getting one. You will lose all of your pay vacation once a year
Pros
Cons
Everthing
Great company-The Brockton Enterprise Newspaper, until merger with Gatehouse Media
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 2, 2017
Gatehouse Media has no interest in Newspaper or newspaper customers. Stayed on as long as possible due to I had a union position and wanted to get rid of all union employees.
Pros
great benefits for union employees only
Cons
not enough work and just busy work
Not a great place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  New York,January 25, 2017
Low Compensation, Demoralized Employees, Frustrated Management, Frustrated Employees, Everyone Works In Fear Of Loosing Their Job For No Reason, No Hope For A Raise .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gatehouse Media. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7