Gatehouse Media Employee Reviews

Continuously lay offs
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCSeptember 14, 2016
Not a good company. The best part was the people that I worked with. No job security. We (co-workers), felt that we had job security since it were were the only daily newspaper in the area. We felt comfortable with the previous owners, but had high hopes that this company would be better since they owned a lot of newspapers in different states.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Accrual time
They'll try to distract you with ping pong and ice cream
Page Designer/Copy Editor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 22, 2016
Which team you're placed as a designer seems very random. Of course, while your work ethic and skills play a big role in determining your future here, whether you'll grow professionally or adopt more responsibilities will depend on where you're placed...which is probably out of your control. Favoritism is blatant. Most complain about the salary...GateHouse is a very typical corporation in that it would rather see its good, long-time employees leave and have to put in the time and resources to hire and train new people than bring wages up to speed. Just because this isn't Los Angeles or Chicago doesn't mean the employees can afford to live in Austin on the change they're doling out. Coworkers were chill, though. It's a kind of relaxed place.
Pros
Ping pong! Sometimes ice cream and tacos! Fun little games! Relaxed atmosphere, friendly coworkers.
Cons
Obvious favoritism, charisma trumps skills/talent (this is page design...), low wages, little regard for employees' well being.
Worst company i ever worked for
Management (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 15, 2016
First, this was not a FAIR company to work for. You would have to work 3 months with no day off while everyone else in the office got their time off. If you have a complaint about business or something going on in the office that is unethical, better keep your mouth shut..... no one cares.. no one will do anything.... it literally will be a waist of your time..
Pros
NONE
Cons
Overworked
Poor management- was released for no reason
Director of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Keyser, WVJuly 3, 2016
Not a place you would want to work. Employer released me with no given reason. Unemployment was approved, but it left me in a bad situation after just moving to the area where there is not much work. The publisher was very unprofessional!!
Retains good employees like a sieve. Work elsewhere.
Copy Editor/Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2016
The Gatehouse Center for News and Design is a modern-day sweatshop, and the company is unashamed of this fact.

Turnover is outrageous. They hire in bulk because fed-up employees often walk out in frustration. Others leave as soon as they can.

Managers promote among themselves and sycophants. Pay is abysmal. Promotion is nil unless you're a champion butt-kisser.

In six months' time, five top-lever managers have bailed to take better jobs, including the chief development officer, the HR lady, the operations director and now the center's chief director.

Daily newspaper teams are chronically understaffed and overworked, many taking on 8-10 day stretches with no breaks.

Floor plan is spare, designed to emit an air of temporary work, letting employees know not to get too comfortable in their position.
Pros
None.
Cons
High turnover, self-absorbed managers, factory atmosphere
very fast paced environment
Multimedia Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Hannibal, MOJune 22, 2016
the job was difficult due to the limited number of businesses in the area and my limited knowledge and training in the industry.
Okay for someone lacking job experience, but don't linger
Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 15, 2016
This review is for the Center for News and Design in Austin. I can't speak for the rest of the company in other locations, especially pre-2014.

Job Work/Live Balance: If you're young, single and don't mind working second shift, it's probably a good way to gain valuable experience. If you have a spouse and friends with day jobs, expect a great deal of sacrifice.

Compensation/Benefits: Pay is low--even for journalism. Especially given the amount of responsibility you'll have right off the bat. Plus, you'll be living in a city with an increasingly high cost of living. Healthcare benefits are relatively good, but you'll pay toward $200 out of pocket per month for them. Scheduling time off is akin to redeeming frequent flier miles: The only periods you can get time off is when nobody else wants it; and vice versa. And forget about spending the holidays with family. If stressing out on deadline at 11:30 PM on Christmas night is your cup of tea, then this is the place for you!

Job Security: There's a very high rate of turnover, so if you're competent, you won't have to worry about job security. But that being said, there's a reason this place earned the nickname "Gaslight Media." Your head will be messed with. Team assignments and supervisors change regularly, too.

Management: Some supervisors are great and really care; others, not so much. Bear in mind, this is the brave new world of corporate-owned media. Once upon a time, journalism was a field that attracted folks who valued integrity at the end of the day. Now it's all about "what's in the best interest of the shareholders."
  more...

Job Culture: The median/average age of your fellow employees will be fairly young. If your idea of a great work environment is a high school cafeteria or the college dorm--with all the requisite gossip and juvenile drama--then you'll love working there.
Pros
You'll gain experience working on a spiffy iMac
Cons
It's a thankless grind
No resources devoted to local properties, constant budget and staffing cuts
Audience Development Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 26, 2016
Next to no resources devoted to local properties. Every employee in every department doing the work of multiple people, partnerships with outside marketing companies led to poor customer service. Constant confusion and no direction from corporate. The only place money was devoted to was buying new properties.
Awesome company
Account Executive / Multi-Media Sales / Journalist (Current Employee) –  Alice, TXMay 2, 2016
I worked there for years and still to this day have a professional relationship with the owner. Great starter job for college students and looks great on resume
Good people, poor management, no loyalty.
Low Level Grunt (Former Employee) –  Pittsford, NYJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoyed going to work everyday. The people I worked with quickly became my friends. Loose dress code and occasional holiday parties.

There is no such thing as a performance review, raise, or a bonus unless you were very high up. They do no facilitate growth of employees. Too much gossip/drama with the ubiquitous he said she said taking precedent over facts.
Pros
Jeans and a polo everyday, occasional party.
Cons
Lack of loyalty, raises, bonuses, or performance/merit reviews.
Small Business Environment with Corporate Overview.
Multi-Media Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Middletown, DEJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day involves reviewing the latest orders, ad revisions, and approving ad copy. Calls and emails are sent to new and existing customers in attempts to up-sell products or to schedule a meeting to discuss combined services for print and digital. Follow-up calls are also made to secure sales for previously discussed products. Email orders are answered and orders submitted. Collection calls are made. In addition to appointments for the day, cold calls are made to secure new business and client visits are made to drop off papers with their ads or to drop of literature regarding up coming promotions. Weekly office meetings are held to discuss upcoming promotions and for reps to provide feedback. The hardest part of the job is managing accounts without a CRM system and managing time when copy changes are needed while up against deadlines. Without a direct system that lets you know of ending schedules, it can become time consuming to do the research and manage Excel Spreadsheets. This job has been an eye opener with weekly deadlines. Time is even more critical. The best part of the job are my co-workers who can relate to the struggles and help you to laugh through it all. I also love most of my clients and enjoy seeing them face to face.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Limited Earning Potential
All profits go straight to the top corporate executives.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHDecember 26, 2015
Hard work for very low wages. Not competitive with wages of other delivery jobs. This company employs old men to drive their delivery vans that should not be on the road. Many are on medications, are past the retirement age, and have had medical problems even while driving.. The company does not care about putting these people on the road and endangering the public. The employees are underpaid and under appreciated by a wall street management that makes tens of millions of dollars in profits yet do not see fit to give their employees a dime of it.
Pros
Liked the work.
Cons
Minimum wage. No raises. No incentives. Bad boss.
Management quality depends on department
Page Designer & Copy Editor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 10, 2015
A youthful, forward-thinking company with several different departments/shifts. The company has been undergoing many manager/staffing changes, and some of the departmental communication has been suffering in the past few months.

They are making strides towards being more organized as they are a fairly young company.

I enjoy my coworkers greatly, which helps with the night-shift schedule I currently work on.

Company has frequent events and caters meals for those who have to work on holidays.
Requires a lot of focus handling customer service via email, phone, walkins, social media while processing other responsibilities.
Marketing and Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCDecember 2, 2015
This is an enjoyable place to work. Coworkers are great to work with and very supportive between each department. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the public and working to bring a resolution to their concerns. I have a lot of different responsibilities that allow me to work with every department, such as, circulation, accounting, newsroom and advertising. My job does not get monotonous because no one day is ever the same because the customer traffic and inter office request can be surprising and challenging.
Pros
flexibility and multiple duties to keep the job interesting
Cons
healthcare cost, company's small budget, changing industry
Small team that got along very well
Lead Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILNovember 16, 2015
During my time at Gatehouse Media I worked as one of three designers among a very small group of people in a suburban office. There was plenty of opportunity to share ideas and to be creative. The biggest downside was my nearest family member lived about 3 hours away.
Poorly managed sinking ship
Editorial (Former Employee) –  Central IllinoisNovember 13, 2015
You will work long, hard hours for low pay with substandard equipment, in some cases in unsafe buildings with serious code problems. Your job duties will increase every year even as the staff size is cut. Nobody has received a raise since around 2007. The management structure is unclear and you sometimes won't know who you answer to because it will be different for different things and there's so much turnover that even when you think you've figured who to go to for a specific thing there's someone new. Communication is so poor that often your direct supervisor will not be kept in the loop about projects you are being told to do. People with poor job skills receive promotions. Hard work is never commented on. You receive contradictory orders from different people you answer to. Idiotic decisions are made at the corporate level without any input from local people who know their local product, such as deciding to run every obituary twice, thus confusing the public. Every newspaper in every city was required to run its paper according to the ever-changing whims of the corporate people rather than according to the knowledge of the local culture understood by the workers at each paper. No matter how different two cities might be, they had to force their papers into a common mold. Another great (not) idea was to run fluffy and useless special supplements that count as an edition of the paper, in order to make people's subscriptions run out a little faster. This is unethical. The company pushes for quantity and doesn't care one whit about quality. The company is pushing its salespeople  more... to concentrate on selling website design rather than newspaper ads, but the web design work is so poor that it's embarrassing. In my earlier years I loved my job because I was doing good work I took pride in. In later years I was embarrassed at the poor quality and shrinking size of the paper. I had a lot of good, talented, dedicated co-workers until the end, when a bunch of people were laid off, chaos ensured, and within a short time after that everyone with any talent who was left fled. How can I make this clear? If I had to choose between working for this company again or laundering the sheets in a brothel, I'd take the brothel. Even if I had to hand-wash.  less
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, no raises ever, poor equipment, understaffed, overworked
Management Out of Touch
Senior Multimedia Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Needham, MANovember 13, 2015
The rigors of this job were intolerable. I found myself working well beyond the 40 hours/week listed in its job description in order to meet the ever-increasing demands of the position. Especially in recent years, I found myself working nights, weekends, even holidays and vacations remotely via cell phone and laptop computer. Company-provided training, when provided, was intense and always given 'in addition to' normal daily job functions. (never 'in place of'). All without the benefit of a single increase in base salary during my entire 16 year career. I resigned from GateHouse earning the same base salary at which I had been hired 16 years earlier. This company does not reward longevity.
Pros
The core group of people with whom I worked were fantastic. I miss them.
Cons
No periodic pay reviews or merit pay increases.
Editor (Current Employee) –  Newton, ILSeptember 26, 2015
It is a pleasant place to work. The usual day is a busy one from start to end as there are always news events to cover, write about and to prepare for print.
In my almost 15 years at the newspaper, I have advanced from clerk, to reporter to editor in three years time. I have learned to manage my time more efficiently over the years with safe, productive short-cuts.
The hardest, or less enjoyable part of my job, is that it doesn't end at 5 p.m. when I leave work. There are many evening events as well as weekend events that need covered by the reporter, correspondent and myself.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the week when I know, with help, that I have completed everything needed for three newspapers as well as posting on our web, facebook and twitter pages.
Pros
I get to meet, interview and cover many interesting people and events.
Cons
No raises, too many unpaid hours of work after the 40 hours.
This corporation was in the process of declaring bankruptcy
Group Publisher (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYSeptember 23, 2015
There was no corporate management support. Logistics, technology and business practices had not been updated in the six years prior to my arrival.
Pros
Local employees understood and accepted their circumstances
Cons
Exceptionally difficult culture to work in
Productive Environment
Multi Media Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Murphysboro, ILAugust 23, 2015
Productive work place with good management. Freedom to be out of the office selling. Decent pay with great benefits. I would definitely recommend this company to someone who is looking for employment.

2.8