Gates Corporation Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Specification Technician II (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 7, 2018
My day starts at 4:30 in the morning so I can talk to the people in Europe and get what they need from me done.

There is a great language barrier and so I have to learn to pay close attention to what they are saying.

Management here is great and understanding

We have a great culture here we all get along and want to help each other

The hardest part of the job is communication on every level because of the diversity we have

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I do get to talk to all people and learn more about their roles in the company
Pros
Good People at this company
Cons
No Cons
Good place to work.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Glade Spring, VAFebruary 4, 2018
Had room to advance.Good Supervisors and machine trainers. Good benefits and pay.Fast paced but not stressful. Helped their workers when needed time off for family.
Technician
Field Service Technician II (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 24, 2018
The management is always "in flux" at Gates in the Houston office. Supervisors do not communicate effectively even when you attempt to communicate with them verbally, via e-mail, or via text (on company phone). The benefits are great, however, the company culture is very stressful. They laid off 1 person per day prior to Christmas including people who have worked there for 10+ years. What I have learned is how to be a more successful and effective supervisor/manager when I am able to become one. I have learned new skill sets and acquired new certifications that I would not have had before. A typical day at work includes getting yelled at by a supervisor from my own department and other departments and being "undercut" by my own supervisors.
Benefits
Cons
No short breaks, 6 day work weeks, 10 hour+ days, lack of management, lack of HR department
Nearly stress-free environment, excellent co-workers
Inventory Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJanuary 12, 2018
Not an overwhelming workload, but enough to maintain constant focus on daily tasks. Management team is great. Atmosphere is fairly laid back, with expectations of doing your job to the best capability. Most are friendly, upbeat, and show willingness to help.
Pros
Not a lot of negativity
Cons
No true cons... just a few things that could use some tweaking.
Good place to work if you find the right position
Field Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 2, 2018
A very laid-back culture with great people to work with. There isn't much advancement outside of Denver, CO though, so you need to make sure you are in a good position. The field sales personnel are spread thin throughout the country, so there is a lot of travel for those in sales or sales support. The sales territories are not too large to handle, but the travel can become cumbersome.
Productive organization
Process Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARNovember 28, 2017
The company is an icon in industry it was an honor to work there. If had not been for the long drive it would have been my desire to continue to work for Gates.
Pros
Some flexible hours
Cons
Long drive to work
Could use improvement
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Hebron, KYNovember 20, 2017
Work hours varied from 8 - 10 hours, EVERY SATURDAY you will work! A point system set up to fail you! High turnover,HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT, great pay tho
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No off time
Liked it
Picker/ packer (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYNovember 16, 2017
Really liked this job we stared by doing stretches and then got right to work picking orders using an RF scanner and driving a tugger jacker. We did this all day pretty simple really.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
LOTS of OT sometime 10hrs / 7days a week
Very poor management
Finance & Accounting (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 10, 2017
New top management (cut throat, aggressive, hierarchical old style, brought their executive friends. Those at the very top enjoy perks and are "the chosen few", rest are viewed as "just the rest")
Work life balance poor
don't invest in people or career development
lack of planning
Milk the cow short term mentality

Great products, great brand
Good location
Some mid and mostly high level positions are paid well
Opportunities to learn from different areas
Pros
Downtown location, some high jobs well paid
Cons
Work life balance, workplace culture, old management style, hierarchical
Great place to work ten years ago!
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2017
I enjoyed the ability to work your territory. Due to being purchased, increased paperwork and lack of product, made it difficult to make sales calls. You spent a majority of your time duplicating reports and finding product for customers.
Good place to make a career
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Siloam Springs, AROctober 31, 2017
Gates overall is a good place to work and the benefits are competitive. If you work hard, the management team is good about helping you advance within the company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad turnover rate
Overall a good place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 30, 2017
A good balance between laboratory work and theory. The people here are smart and very knowledgeable about the product. Toward the end of my time there, a lot of reorganization was happening within top management.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
low emphasis on creative thinking
Manufacturers Representative
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 24, 2017
Per attached resume, worked as a manufacturers representative for Gates Rubber, the largest manufacturer of automotive belts/hose in the world. Called exclusively on 105 NAPA stores out of the Omaha distribution center. Created and promoted both national and regional promotions in my assigned lines to help both myself and stores reach assigned quota's. Trained both store personnel and "end users" on the features and benefits of various lines and products.
Had a great Break room, not enough support
Electronic Technician (Current Employee) –  Siloam Springs, AROctober 10, 2017
I liked the crew I worked with but compensation wasn't there and I was the only E-Tech on my shift for awhile, too much for one person at times, otherwise it was calm and relaxed. Enjoyed my latest facilitator/supervisor. Just looking for more support from upper management.
Understaffed and overworked
Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 3, 2017
IT managers are technicians who got promoted into management and never had any management training. Their focus is on project fulfillment and they are ruthless about meeting objectives. They use employees until burnout.
Pros
Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate
Cons
Gulag mentality
A good work atmosphere, fast paced, and great pay
Grinder/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARSeptember 26, 2017
Provides adequate training, team work, decent breaks, management is very hands on and involved, great benefits, good hours, and the pay is really good.
Pros
Great benefits
Gates
Manager (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILSeptember 23, 2017
Good place to work in Galesburg Illinois. Provides Health Benefits, Insurance, Dental, Vision and Paid Vacation as well as Holidays. Salary employees often work in excess of 60 hrs per week.
Pros
Long hours for Salary Employees
Cons
Paid Benefits
loved the environment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYSeptember 14, 2017
I enjoyed going to work everyday they really took the time to get to know me as a person and actually cared when they seen you was't feeling well or were struggling with something they really stepped up to help you out
A good experience despite only being an internship
Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Edo. de MéxicoSeptember 13, 2017
Work days would consist of reporting data drawn on charts by each station and report to manager for the sales department. Afterwards, the rest of the day would be filled with engineering drawings and observing the machines.
Pros
1 hour lunch and great location
Cons
Only an internship position and could not expand more
Racist driven poor managment at its finest
Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 12, 2017
Very poor place to work. They do not care about there people at all. You are definitely replaceable and there is no care factor or level of respect given by management at all. Supervisors are very racist to certain skin colors and don't care what the other folks do it will never be right. Expect managers to cuss and belittle you while working here and then laugh about it with other people and walk away. Overall it was one of the worst jobs I have ever had and I wouldn't recommend working here to anyone.
Cons
Managment ...hr...racism...breathing in all the chemicals all the time..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gates Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.