Gates Corporation Employee Reviews

Was once a great company to work for but changes has diminished importance of developing customer client relationships
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Eastern United StatesMay 13, 2015
At one point the company understood the importance of building positive lasting relationships with customers and valued it's employees. As the company changed, so did the demands and focus with more importance placed on doing just as much or more with fewer people taking away the opportunity to provide positive customer client relationships because of the high demand on employees.
Cons
Management stopped seeing people and only saw numbers, they stopped realizing the correlation between good customer service and increased sales
104 year old global company with strong brand image
VICE PRESIDENT, N. A. OE COMMERCIAL (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIApril 21, 2015
Technology leader with strong brand image. Over the past 3 years with positioning the company for an IPO or Private Equity purchase the atmosphere has been very dynamic without a clear vision of where the new company was heading. Plant consolidation and employee turnover has been high leaving employees uncertain about their future.
A well positioned company in various end markets allows for year over year growth and new product development. Most enjoyable part of the job was learining and participating in various end markets, meeting new executives, learning about new market drivers and dynamics of various business segments.
Managed a strong cross functional team with everyone pulling in the same direction and working together to deliver the posted corporate goals and objectives.
Pros
Strong Brand Image, Product Development
Cons
Plant Consolidation, Aging manufacturing processes, employee turnover
Gates is not the family run business it was in the past
Plant Controller (Former Employee) –  Versailles, MOApril 16, 2015
With the differing investment companies that have purchased Gates, they are more profit driven than person driven. Benefits/Bonuses have been decreased or eliminated, except with top management and the executive team. They have forgotten who makes their products and don't reward accordingly.
The blame game is constant. Instead of looking at the solutions, they focus on blame. Management is not held accountable for making decisions. Instead they blame and point fingers at others. Versailles facility has lost the reputation of being a great place to work. Nepatism is rampant. Accountability is non existent. Employees are dissatisfied. Favoritism is rampant.
Used to be a great facility to work in. But is not that anymore. People in the area don't want to apply there cause of the negativity with the facility. People don't want to move to the area cause of the negativity. Gates does very little for the community (and it is the largest employer in that area). Sad that the company doesn't support the local communities.
Micromanaged
Manager of Production Operations (Current Employee) –  USFebruary 20, 2015
Company has been in buyout circles for last decade leading to various changes in leadership. While the president has been consistent and his knowledge is good, many decisions for plants are made based on corporate needs. Once they are implemented and it is discovered they don't work, the teams in the plant pay the price with overtime and constant visitors from VPs who don't listen and make you spend your time in a different rabbit hole every week, Hourly employees are generally great and want to what is right.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
micromanaged from vp level; no expectation of family life
International Belt & Hose Manufacturing Corporation
General Accountant (Current Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARFebruary 7, 2015
Responsible for Sarbanes Oxley compliance, Control Self Assessments, all Project accounting for Siloam Springs operations and Fixed Asset management, monthly journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations.Other duties include daily spending analysis, accounts payable assistance, intercompany charges and payroll support. The NWA location employs 500+ full time and temporary employees.
A factory of angry people, more like a furnace
Coupled Assembly (Former Employee) –  Iola, KSJanuary 25, 2015
This place does not have any type of climate controls, other than fans. The summers are unbearably hot. Everyone is always upset or angry that they're there, and management is never satisfied with production. Lots of mandatory overtime is scheduled. The company is extremely solid in the movement of personnel and takes months to move anyone to a different shift or department.
Pros
you go to work at a certain time and you leave exactly 8 hours later.
Cons
short breaks, and you have to make up time that you miss for sick leave, or else you are penalized
great people
Order filler (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GANovember 2, 2014
Everyday was a fun challenge to have the highest productivity with the least amount of errors.
Overall good company to work for
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Versailles, MOOctober 8, 2014
Set up a machine, run it, keep up with production goals, maintain housekeeping and 5S standards, wear steel toed boots and safety glasses.
Pros
free thanksgiving turkey, free christmas ham, same schedule daily, week plant shutdown for christmas, lots of cookouts and yearly picnics
Cons
a lot of drama, you only go as far as your name will take you (its all about who you are or who you know), you will not get a day shift job, you will more than likely be laid off after 6 months.
Safety Professionals: Don't Do It
HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  GalesburgSeptember 26, 2014
This company is one of the worst you can work at for HSE, especially at the Galesburg plant. In the past 18 months, there is a new plant manager that thinks he is a god and knows more that the professionals he hired. The new operations manager is more interested in production than anything and is just as arrogant as the plant manager. The HR manager was fired the spring of 2013 and then the new one left just recently because lack of support, and there is no support for the maintenance manager, and the plant manager will belittle you in front of everyone. I highly recommend you stay away from this company; at least Galesburg.

In my tenure from March 2013, to May 2014, six HSE professionals in my division alone left Gates.
benefits
Cons
plant and operations manager; lack of support, loooonnnnngggggg hours!
physically demanding
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYSeptember 23, 2014
Safety it #1!
Good people to work with.
The "trainers" make sure you understand the job before they let you lose.
If you ever need help you can ask ANYONE and they are there for you.
Pros
good peole to work with
Cons
unstable work schedule
Plenty of work
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Hebron, KYSeptember 21, 2014
Start my day off by having a start up meeting then getting your scanner and get my equipment and go to work scanning product

Management could use a lot of improving they can be extremely power hungry and feel they can speak to you any way and totally disrespect associates in any way as well as lying and threatening to report if you speak up against them. Very twisted and backstabbing not a healthy environment to be in. No real advancement in this job you will go nowhere no matter how much you know you wont get paid for your knowledge or experience.
Pros
getting paid to leave early
Cons
management, top out pay is very low, unorganized, unhealthy work environment
They taught me a lot, and made me an assest to their company, we was a great team, as long as I was there.
Reach Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYSeptember 4, 2014
routine order filler, was able to get certified on all equipment, was very enjoyable place to work for several years, great co-workers, good benefits, and gave me a great opportunity to gain experience and learn. Hardest part is when negative people made the environment difficult to work in. Over all a great place to work.
Pros
benefits and family oriented
Cons
too many changes
heat treating
Production Inspector (Former Employee) –  Versailles, MOJuly 17, 2014
run parts thur machine to be heat treated
the hardnest of metal
management is ok
the computer
not getting burnt by the machine
All talk, no walk
Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMay 5, 2014
Gates Corporation, especially Galesburg, IL manufacturing and North America Hose and Assembly, states they support health and safety, but they do not provide the necessary resources to complete the tasks. I was expected to maintain a 300% work load and still meet all regulatory and corporate compliance. The facility, machinery, and management systems have been neglected for years and will take years to correct at present state. The HSE Specialist (Manager) position is not set up for success with little or no support from other management positions (e.g. maintenance is under-staffed so support is difficult to get, Operations Manager is more interested in production, plant manager makes promises he does not keep). If you apply for the Galesburg, IL HSE Manager position, expect 60-80 hour weeks and plenty of stress.
Pros
benefits and good veteran workers.
Cons
plant manager, operations manager, no life outside galesburg, no resources to be successful.
Funny that they had a ping pong table when I started but it was removed. All work, no fun.
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYMarch 25, 2014
Constantly changing. Shifts changing, rules changing, personnel changing.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
too many hours. tops out at $14.50 per hour.
It was fun at times
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYMarch 23, 2014
I loved working for this company the time i had been there but,for personal reasons it was time to move on.
Good job for a robot or someone who doesn't value their own opinion
Management Systems Coordinator / QA Tech (Former Employee) –  Versailles, MOMarch 17, 2014
Stable place to work but it's hard to deal with the policies thrown out by corporate management who don't understand the local environment.
Pros
best paying job in a small market area. good benefits.
Cons
all operations and controls are conducted via remote headquarters; usually outside the us
Gates is a very prodfessional well organized company with many opportunities
Corporate North America Divisional Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ashe County NCMarch 14, 2014
I enjoyed my time at Gtaes and made many good friends and professional contacts. It was a great company to work for. There was at times a lot of pressure to perform but it was rewarding work. I left due to excessive travel required with my corporate level position but quite honestly regret leaving.
Pros
exciting fast paced company that rewards extra effort
Cons
a lot of pressure and travel required
Great place to work...
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 12, 2014
Great place to work! I would recommend working here if you can.
I cut hydraulic hoses at precise measurments according to orders and also crimp parts and pack orders out according to what the customer wants.
SAW OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Iola, KSJanuary 12, 2014
A typical day at work I am getting orders ready to be shipped according to the customer needs. I work well with others, I enjoy working in a team but can also do fine on my own. I am a fast learner and alwasy try to make sure I get the job done right. The hardest part of my job would have to be the excessive amount of manditory overtime. It is not easy to do with kids. I have always enjoyed my job I enjoy learning new tasks and skills and then following through with customer satifaction.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
short breaks

2.5