Gateway-Longview Employee Reviews in United States

Poor company to work for
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYApril 15, 2016
As a woman working for this company, I have never been so disrespected by not only my male counter part coworkers, but management as well. Management will not work with you about time off, you are mandated long hours, seven days a week to work without say. There were 3 months in a row where I only had 1 scheduled day off, I had to call off to get time to myself. If you want a personal life, forget about it. Want a holiday off? That's a joke. And the work atmosphere is the worst. The staff are catty, petty, and if they don't like you, they turn already violent kids, against you making your job harder.

If you can get past all of that, then the kids are great to work with once you've established a relationship with them.
Pros
Relationships with the kids
Cons
Everything else
Do Not Work Here
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJanuary 13, 2016
During the interview they are very misleading. They down play the youth that you will be working with. Most of the youth are either almost adult size or adult sized. Some of the youth are very angry and aggressive youth. If you are a woman plan on working harder and longer than a man with the same wages. There is also a 50/50 chance of working with supervisors that are very disrespectful and have no clue what it takes to be a supervisor. It wasn't all bad. I worked with some good co-workers and met some great youth but they were 1 in a million. You have to have tough skin to work here and plan on giving up your personal life.
Pros
Co Workers
Cons
Disrespect
A school in Williamsville
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  6350 Main Street, WilliamsvilleDecember 2, 2015
As a Substitute Teacher I worked with special needs children and youth with behavioral problems, which I enjoyed very much. I operated as a Substitute Teacher, Substitute Teachers Aide and Substitute Special Subject Teacher.
Worst agency i have ever worked for
resdental counsler (Former Employee) –  Willamsville nyJune 6, 2015
The staff are lazy and sit on there phones all day and pay no attention to kids they dont care about the kids they only like the money i feel bad for the kids who are there i liked them better then staff which is sad this is not a therptic center at all all the kids do is sit around and are bord because the staff dont want to do anything i was the only one that took care of the kids needs if they wanted something i was the only one to take them outside to do activetys cuz the staff just want to sit on there lazy fat buts and text if you want to work 85-90 hours a week then this job is for you but you have no life or time to see friends or family if you work hear the place is a joke to work for mangement sucks they chose when they want to help DONT WORK HEAR!...
Pros
Helping kids thats about it
Cons
No breaks long hours no life
Gateway-Longview always put client safety, dignity and respect first.
Social Worker/Visitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 14, 2015
Working with the parents and their children was the best part of going to work everyday.
Parents whose children have been removed from their homes (for any reason) can make it challenging to engage those parents in services. Treating them with dignity and respect and not judging them for where they are at proved to help parents take responsibility for their situations.
Supervision was provided on a regular basis to assist with each individual case.
Case reviews were done with the when difficult cases were presented.
everyone worked as a team and supported each other.
The hardest part of the job was when the contract agency closed a case without closer for the worker or the family.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working directly with the families.
Pros
Working with the families and sometimes having them reunited.
Cons
Seeing a child or children grow, and bond with thier parent(s) and then having the county terminate the parents rights.
Great opportunity to learn
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 20, 2015
As an intern I cannot comment on job security or compensation.

I can say that I learned much more than I expected to during my seven month stay. My supervisor didn't hold my hand and let me learn for myself. If I did get stuck he was more than willing to help. I would highly recommend this to anybody looking for an HR internship if the opportunity arises again.

The only issue I had was waiting for third party agencies to send us paperwork or results; sometimes it took longer than I would have hoped.
Pros
experience, management
Cons
frustration with third party agencies we worked with
Helping youth
Residential and Non-Secure Detention Counselor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 29, 2014
Work with youth who has found themselves in the justice system, to ensure they appear in court, and attend school. Working with the youths are great but at time workers are mandated to work extra shift without any say.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
no breaks
Great staff and co-workers and wonderful families
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 1, 2012
Worked with Family and youth daily.
Learned the importance of affective communication and being firm with youth in order to see change in the right direction.
Worked closely with management to get new workload and dicuss cases.
Hardest part of the job, when youth would get themselves in trouble with school or the law- it was hard to see them failing.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the different people of the case (team members) and of course seeing the positive change in the youths life.
Exhausting and not that you would expect
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJuly 8, 2012
I went into this job with all intentions of doing my best, trying my hardest and loving it. I knew it was going to be a difficult job, its my career field, and I knew what to expect. The only reason I did not succeed, was because I was told one thing for my job requirments, and then told to do another after training. The staff are not there for the job, they are there for the excellent pay, and great benefits. I loved the actual job, but over all, it was not what I wanted. Its perfect for some people, but I couldnt leave my heart at home when I walked in to work.
A good stepping stone to move up in either criminal justice or social work feld
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYMay 10, 2016
Overall, this is a pretty decent job whether you have bills to catch up on or you're looking to get your foot in the door in working with a rough population.

First, the clients that reside here have gone through just about everything. Some are juvenile delinquents, some deal with a lot of emotional trauma, and some are there for neglect. It's a melting pot of children that need a lot of work before getting back into the community. It can be very stressful, and it may be difficult to remain positive when dealing with kids that are in "crisis". Just imagine young adults that throw temper tantrums over the simplest things like a toddler would...except more intense such as cussing you out or threatening you.

The staff that work here are hit or miss. Some are great, others not so much. You can usually figure it out within a few weeks which staff are there for the right reasons, such as mentoring youth, and which staff are just trying to make some money and have no care or concern for the job duties. The other posts are correct about working long hours and required shifts; however, every year they tend to weed out the staff that are not cutting it and it drops the employee numbers lower...which means more required overtime until they catch up on hiring new employees. Before accepting the job offer, you have to understand that not everyone is cut out for dealing with this kind of population. It's better to figure that out sooner rather than later and have something bad happen like assaulting a youth.

The management team is supportive, but a bit unorganized. They were going
  more... through a whole new rebuilding phase a few months ago, so I would imagine it has gotten better or is getting better. I do know some of the people they hired for management and they were previously well-respected residential counselors. Two of them trained me, and you couldn't ask for more personable and helpful people.

A typical work week for part of the year, may be as long as 60-80 hours. When the staff numbers are high, your looking at a normal 40 hour week. Once you get used to the overtime, it's hard to go without it. Money is always nice, right? I've seen people come in with little to no money that live with mom and dad. Then over a short period of time, you start to see the parking lot fill up with nice cars and trucks, and staff walking in with new shoes, clothes, and ordering out food all the time.

One of the worst things I hated about this job was the union. I felt more supported by management than I did by my own union, and they take like $30 in union dues monthly. The union stewards seemed like they looked out for themselves, but if you comply with management then there was never any reason to use the union to support you. They are pretty understanding and will work with you if they see you as an asset (performing job duties), but I've also dealt with the strictness of the union contract when they couldn't afford to be flexible.

It's certainly not the best place to work for, and it wasn't my dream job. However, it does pay the bills and then some, get you good experience, and you may even have an impact on a kid's life. Many of the staff move on into social work, or police, and a lot have gone into corrections in prisons. Others go onto other companies like Gateway and experience the samething without the overtime. Like any job, if you stay positive and don't get broken down then it's what you make of it.
Pros
Good job experience to put on a resume, perfect first job, learning experience, and a lot of paid time off that accrues monthly (you need this in this field)
Cons
The union, mandated overtime, working with staff that can be as corrupt and disrespectful as the youth (not all but some)
Rewarding program working with youth
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Williamsville. NYNovember 14, 2013
Gateway-Longview's Residential Services programs are designed to strengthen families, provide guidance and support for teens and young adults, and improve the lives of the children we serve that need 24-hour-a-day support, counseling, and care.
overnight supervision, working here is great when the kids are not fighting. lots of overtime and nice co-workers
Residential Counselor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYFebruary 12, 2013
Pros
overtime
Cons
no breaks
Productive Work Environment
Case Worker, Foster Care (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 26, 2015
Genuine employees who care about the clients and communities they serve.
horrible
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  williamsville nyJanuary 17, 2013
this is one of the worst agencies to work for.
the work is unsafe and horrible about personal time
the management is power hungry
the co workers are ok
there is no joy about this job
Intense work Enviorment
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 24, 2012
A typical day is school in the AM, following an agenda, group discussion and recreation. Constant youth crisis, constant management demands without direction. Its not an environment conducive for the Residential Counselor's. I can say however, with the amount of hours put in, you can really earn a good wage. Of course, it will take a toll on your health, but you can get what you need. Co-workers are great. They really endure a heavy load of criticism from management without, once again, the best support. But they stay focus because of there care for the youth. The hardest part of the job is not working with the youth, but the constant unnecessary management changes with no direction. So your working to stay within guidelines, but there is no direction. So that brings write-ups, coaching sessions and ultimately termination out of your control. The one thing I can say I enjoyed are the youth. Even in there most trying time, they keep there spirits as uplifted as possible and to feel there resilience and respect given, really shows where they are mistaken. So as a Counselor, the youth were a pleasure to encounter on a daily basis.

2.8