Gateway Foundation

Gateway Foundation Employee Reviews

Difficult and stressful work environment
Counselor 1 (Current Employee), Lake Villa, ILApril 29, 2015
Pros: a free meal every shift, benifits
Cons: breaks are rare, favoritism shown from management and low pay
There is no typical day. Learned specific paper work. Management sees bad/unethical things but does not do anything about them. Co-workers are awesome and very helpful, always willing to lend a hand when asked. Hardest part is being expected to drop everything to work. Most enjoyable part is working with the clients and being able to make an impact.
Opportunity for beginning LCDC Interns
Counselor Intern I (Current Employee), Joe NeyMarch 10, 2015
Pros: awesome clients
Cons: lack of updated material
A typical day at work consists of completing 2 or 3 individual sessions, not including any daily intakes. Must facilitate 2 or 3 groups a day including a process group 4 days a week with clients. A caseload is usually 25, however , depending on staffing a counselor may have up to 35 clients to handle monthly. Management is average, lots of changes weekly which is a frustrating occurrence, however the ability to role with the change helps you to learn to work efficiently and under pressure, which is a plus in this career field. Co-workers are helpful and efficient, constant work as team members keeps us on our toes as counselors. The hardest part of the job can be all the different rules to follow. Working for a prison and a company means that we have conflicting rules at times, also CO's are trained for security which at times hinders our job to provide quality care for clients, always in a constant state of referring and helping clients understand that they are on their way home, so do what ever it takes to keep the peace and stay out of the way of the guards. The most enjoying part of the job is the clients having that moment of clarity, watching them excel through the program and leaving with a sense of confidence and encouragement as they take on this new life of recovering what was lost within themselves.
Counselor I - Intensive Outpatient and Outpatient (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2015
I feel very supported and encouraged in my position. I believe the organization works hard to make the employees feel appreciated.
Gateway is a very good place to work
Substance Abuse Technician (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: i feel it's the best hands on training anyone wanting to get into this field
Cons: there will be some working late, nights and weekends.
If your thinking of getting into the Substance Abuse field, this is a excellent route to go. Gateway has many of position for an individual to explore and obtain the experience needed, to become a substance counselor. The staff are great and helpful. They care about your success and will do as much as they can to make sure that a individual gets the training needed.
Being a part of helping people to help theirselves.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free meals
Cons: not being able to take a break because they were always short of staff to relieve me.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the wonderful staff at Gateway. To be part of a dedicated team is very uplifting.

The clients that I met were people with various problems and concerns. It was wonderful to see how they progressed through treatment.
provide substance abuse in nuring home
CLINICAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2015
This company is growing , and is a company that has been around for years providing substance abuse treatment. I have learned numerous skills and provide services to a number of special populations. My typical day at work consist of visiting several nursing homes, providing direct and indirect services, along with coaching and supervising six staff. I have learned to adapt to different personalities and I am a team player. the hardest part of my job is traveling . The most enjoyable part of my job is witnessing progress with clients and helping others.
Stay away from this particular site.The Gateway program at the Walker Sayle Unit in Breckenridge Texas.
counselor (Current Employee), Breckenridge, TXNovember 25, 2014
Pros: tdcj staff, program mission statement, non management coworkers.
Cons: lack of accountability for upper management, the lowest payed facility, verbal abuse of upper management.
This facilities upper management personnel are unethical and corrupt. Corporate ignores any report of upper managements unethical behaviors. The employees are micromanaged, verbally abused and belittled on a daily basis. Management utilizes fear, verbal abuse and embarrassing tactics to motivate staff toward achieving daily goals. The focus point is not oriented toward the clients recovery. There focus in on numbers and public perception of the facility. Ethical values are not enforced at this facility nor is the confidentiality protection of the client.
Job security
ACCOUNT REP/BILLING SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2014
Pros: a micro-managed free environment
Cons: lack of support and training
A typical day at work is being able to work independently, proficient and accurately. I learned how to communicate better because management lacks leadership on resolving work issues. I found myself depending on my co-workers to get my work done. the hardest part is trying to stay stress free. The hardest part is trying to train myself on work that I never done before.
prior counselor
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), missouriOctober 5, 2014
Pros: believing you are making a difference in the clients lives.
Cons: pay, benefits, loyalty from management.
Management doesn't help but micro manage the counselors. All they are concerned about is the paper side of treatment. Management will not help if you are behind and will pass on to other counselors who are also behind. The counselors are team players and help when they can. Upper management is even worse and only care about the bottom dollar. Don't work for this company you are underpaid, way under appreciated, and over worked for below average pay.
Terrible place to work, Stay Away
ANON (Former Employee), KYLE TXOctober 1, 2014
Pros: absolutey none
Cons: aweful work environment
Kyle Texas Unit is the worst place for the new LCDC I to train in. Management is absolutely unprofessional, treat their employees as inmates, that place is a nightmare. The director is never around (that's may be a good thing) and the assistant director is horrible to the CIs, plays favoritism and uses intimidation to control employees. Do yourself a favor and find another place with a positive, nurturing environment to obtain your LCDC hours.
Employees are belittled and treated like children. Promises are made of after you are hired you get a bonus but the bonus are never seen
Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Former Employee), NJSeptember 11, 2014
Cons: disrespect and no acknowledgment for good work
I have been traumatized after working for this company. After I made a complaint to HR they ultimately fired me over rumors that coworker made up and then admitted she lied. I loved my job even though I was treated unfair and losing this job was devastating to me. I feel that the director of HR has made it a point that no one hires me because I was going to file a lawsuit but did not want to relive the trauma I endured while working for Gateway.
learned a lot
Out Patient Counselor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2014
Pros: the material and guideline for which we was require to use to help facilitate the groups.
Cons: traveling
I worked with a team of competent staff that serve as counselors within the nursing homes around Chicago. Most of the client had co-occurring disorders.
poor management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Lake Villa, ILJuly 9, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: poor management
I gained a lot of experience that I was able to take with me to my new career.
great
YC Counselor I (Former Employee), Springfield, ILMay 18, 2014
loved working for this company as a children's case manager. Allowed to create my own schedule so long as I saw all of my clients within the week.
Upside Down and Out of touch
Walker Sayle SAFPF-Intern (Former Employee), Breckenridge TXMay 17, 2014
Pros: not all management was poor, just half of it
Cons: agendas, policies, and social media do not help clients find peace or recovery
Gateway Walker Sayle Management is not in touch with reality and is more beholden to Chicago policies and personal agenda. Management sends mixed messages while mid management works by policies and blends their personal agendas. The clients? Oh, they get lip service and coddling. "Hug a Thug" is common place and accountability is just a word used as window dressing. I speak of the Gateway personnel and not the TDCJ employees. THEY have follow through which Gateway employees can take notes from.
Not a good place to work or call a career
Counselor I (Former Employee), Newark, NJApril 29, 2014
Cons: no lunch break, no time off and pay is not good
working in corrections is difficult as it is but working for Gateway was even worse. you are overworked and under paid with no time off. Under constant scrutiny. for six months I had no desk and no where to complete my work assignements. Supervision was horrible and once I was moved I had a desk but the bugs would fall out of the vents. The clients/prisoners were mistreated and most employees were only there for the paycheck and the clients were never treated properly or given the proper treatment.

My coworkers were unprofessional, most were past inmates themselves.
positive learning environment
Substance Abuse Counselor II (Former Employee), Aurora, ILApril 23, 2014
Pros: continous learning, free seminors
Cons: constant relapse of individual that struggle with addictions.
I enjoyed with a multi talented team of people who were committed to helping people overcome addictions.
Great Co-worker
Adolescent Residential Counselor II (Former Employee), Springfield, ILApril 12, 2014
Pros: learn a lot ang gets lots of expereince as a clinican
Cons: management issues
I worked for Gateway for six years in the community department. The clients and staff were great but there were issues with the director being too close with the director being too close to the supervisors in her charge. Very fast paced and little room for advancement.
Workplace culture
LCDC intern training (Former Employee), Hondo, TXJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: long commute if out of towm
Workplace culture is difficult due to having to work in a prison
A day at work
Training & Intake Coordinator, Counselor II, AA2 (Current Employee), Springfield, ILDecember 3, 2013
Pros: laid back environment, lunches provided
Cons: unstable environment
Very dynamic working environment, no 2 days are the same. Clients are the best part of the job and the feeling that you could be helping someone change their life.

1 2 3