Gateway Foundation Employee Reviews

Excellent place @ very challenging.
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2016
In prision Therapeutic Community that's structured very well.
Assured treatment was provided according to individual treatment plan according to their behaviors, gave and accepted recommendations from their lawyers.
Company goal is great,Management Horrible
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 17, 2016
From my experience of working at the Call Center I realized that management does NOT listen to their employees. The manager is a bully and demeaning to staff and co-workers. On more than one occasion the manager spoke to me in a way which made me feel like less of a person. On a regular basis I was micro managed, disrepected, and over all treated like I was doing a horrible job even though I was preforming above expectations. Any new ideas offered to improve things were usually dismissed. Common courtesies were a rarity in communication. Also good communication was even more rare as I was surprised by things that I was "Supposed" to know on more than one occasion. I was fearful of doing anything without asking permission due to any initiative was crushed if not done the managers way Overall the manager was/is the cause of the overall unhappiness and fear within the center. This manager manages the team like it is 1960, submit or be dismissed!
Pros
Counselors and reps really care
Cons
Managers, Not respect, misrepresentation of jobs
Easy work, not great pay
Staff RN- Drug and Alcohol Rehab (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILOctober 22, 2016
The pay at Gateway is fair, don't be afraid to negotiate during the hiring process. I haven't been there a year yet so I don't know what raises look like but it sounds like they aren't much.
The bosses at my location are amazing but don't be fooled by the "non for profit" facade, they still are all about making money, and very little of it goes to the employees
still a very great and rewarding place to work
typical day
CD Technician (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, DEOctober 18, 2016
management sometimes does not communicate well with the staff members about certain protocol or changes and expects everyone to know.
Terrible company to work for
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 24, 2016
Overbearing, micro-management who will fire you in a second if manager is having a bad day. Clients who are court ordered to attend counseling who are either abusive or don,t care to be there. Supervisors who are less qualified than the people they supervise.
Pros
None really
Cons
Crazy management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 6, 2016
Working for the company is interesting. The job can be stressful at times but also rewarding. I have learned to be more open and understanding when it comes to dealing with people. The management team seems to be reliable and also available when needed. The hardest part of the job is knowing that you are confined for the 8 hours in which you are scheduled to work.
Productive and fun place to work
Habilitation Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJune 9, 2016
Gateway Foundation I can say overall that I enjoyed my self. It was an easy job and we worked directly with the patients. On weekends you take them out on outings and have a fun time with them.
Pros
Healthcare and holiday bonuses
Nice place to work
accoutant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2016
I enjoy my teammates and working together. The mission we do is a noble one. I enjoy working in finance and it is a good career for me.
I would recommend this company.
Benefits
Cons
The drive from where I live
Good experience.
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Caseyville, ILMay 1, 2016
Good co- workers but fails to be supportive to staff. Management fails to understand the job description and tends to minimize
Great team
COUNSELOR 1 (Current Employee) –  Delmont, NJApril 8, 2016
My team allows for creativity and they add to my personal and professional growth. Management is helpful as well. The place needs improvement.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Fun and exciting place to work
RRMAT II Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 25, 2016
Gateway Foundation is an established non-profit that opened a new division in Kansas City, Missouri in October of 2015. Four co-workers and myself were given the responsibility of building this office from the ground up. It has been an extremely pleasant, yet somewhat challenging experience.

You are afforded the opportunity to work with high risk populations, establish community support systems, and see progress your clients make on a daily basis. It's very rewarding. The pay is higher than most entry-level non-profit positions. The benefits are excellent as well.

Management is great. My supervisor is very knowledgable and passionate about what we do here. This extends all the way to the top, including the CEO. I have constant communication with my divisions executive director and her boss, the regional director. I was also able to meet and shake the hand of the CEO. It was a very rewarding experience as he actively sought me out.

The fact that I was entrusted with assisting in building this new office from the ground up really testifies to Gateways trust in their employees.
Pros
Lunch is often provided during meetings, hours are flexible, Paid Time Off is abundant
Great Place of Employment:Great Opportunity within the prison system and other settings. The Gateway Foundation deal with substance abuse and Co Occur
Counselor Intern (Current Employee) –  Gatesville, TXMarch 11, 2016
Great Opportunity within the prison system and other settings. The Gateway Foundation deal with substance abuse and Co Occurance disorders of both male and females . The Clients are often provided with cognitive skills within a theruaputic environmental setting ,with being prepared to being re-integrated back into the communities and family setting.Client lean how to become responsible for their actions and change their patterns to support sober productive living. We as staff are well train in utilizing the Motivational Interviewing and other therapy techniques to promote correctional changes required.We as staff members must meet each client where they are as we build a rapport that supports the total recovery process. Rating 100%
Pros
experience employment at all level
Cons
must have patience for the environment in which we work in .
It's a fun and exciting atmosphere.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2016
The most important part of the job, is interacting with the clients and learning about their goals for their treat and watching them pursue them,
The management is great, always easy to talk with.
The hardest part of the job is working a lot of hours.
Pros
All the staff helps each other, great place to get experience into the Substance Abuse field
Cons
Lot of overtime
great
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 28, 2016
great experience and great co-workers, very busy day. you never know what will happen at work, ability to provide great groups and help out clients in need
Terrible Managment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 25, 2016
Overworked and underpaid. I stayed too long and it was only because I love what I do. The management is awful and they are not there for the clients and they lack training in customer service and employee satisfaction. Upper management covers up for lower management because they produce "numbers." Management are friends with each other outside of work so you have nobody to voice your concerns to; it all falls on deaf ears. Promises are always made and never kept. It is a sad state of affairs. Save your sanity and stay away from this one.
Pros
Getting a different job and away from there
Cons
I would get a hand cramp if I typed them all out.
Great Treatment Team
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2015
As part of an interdisciplinary team I have had many opportunities to develop as a well rounded therapist and addiction counselor. A typical day at work starts at 7:00am and continues past 3:00pm many days. There is a combination of direct counselor to client duties, milieu responsibilities, and leading groups. There never seems to be a dull moment as there are upwards of 30+ clients on a daily basis. The director I work for has been instrumental in constantly improving our unit and it has been challenging to keep up with our growing needs, though also a great pleasure. My co-workers are a testimony to team work, we are very diverse with a broad range of backgrounds and talents. The good thing about it all is that our clients have a lot of great choices when it comes to having their needs meet. In my judgment it is always win-win for them. The hardest part of my job is seeing people relapse into their old thinking which ends up in old using behavior. In some cases that means we hear back that somebody has died. The only thing that makes this bearable are the success I get to share and experience. I want to focus on the people who have changed their lives. We have alumni meetings once a month where former clients who are staying clean and sober come in to support each other and stay connected to Gateway Foundation. I always stop in to say hi to the miraculous lives in action.
Pros
Great Team on the Unit and in the building in general, from front office staff, kitchen personel, to maintinece persons, a great place to work.
Cons
This is a high stress job, so I need to remember that and make sure I take care of myself also.
Fast pace, rewarding and fulfilling
Counselor ll (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 24, 2015
Productive full of Energy the most challenging part was driving to various sites through-out the week. I learned the importance of helping people help themselves towards a better way of living is my passion. I worked with a great team of managers and dedicated counselors we all shared the same vision and passion to help others move forward and beyond pass problems that prevents them from reaching goals. the most enjoyable part of my job was the warm greetings and smiling faces I was greeted with daily from the clients.
Pros
Mileage re-imbursment
Cons
Distance between sites
Great
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2015
gateway is a very professional company. Gateway respects all their employees. they have a very strong HR that follows through correctly and supportive of line staff.
Pros
support staff appericate the hard work the staff do
Cons
Give betetr pay
Lpc
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 29, 2015
This job was extremely demanding with little pay-off, respect from management, or breathing space (all holidays and weekends are worked). The salary is very low for a primary therapist-I was a high rated therapist with clients who consistently had positive reviews, so there's no animosity; the internal reward is great, but the salary for therapists is a fraction of upper management, and the responsibilities are equal (if not less). The management style is one of the worst I've seen in this field; I've seen employees threatened and yelled at. I once heard someone in high management yelling profanities at her son's basketball coach, while I was in an open door meeting with a client. Talk about unprofessional. I made my living and enjoyed my therapist colleagues there A GREAT DEAL, so if you are able to keep your head low and your opinions to yourself (don't get wrapped up in the interpersonal drama, because there is a lot of it) it's a good entry level position for a counselor. definitely not a company to grow with, unless your vision is $$ based entirely, and not client care.
Pros
free lunch, great colleagues
Cons
salary, management
Scheduling Catastrophe
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIOctober 26, 2015
The clients are amazing! I love what I do, HOWEVER, Scheduling changes every day. If you are ok with putting your job before your own kids, husband etc, then it's a fabulous place to work. This job is emotionally, and mentally challenging. It takes a very special kind of person to work here. And don't expect any decent benefits either, you will be told you have sick days, vacation, mileage, and all sorts of other bonuses, but if you try to use them, you will be denied.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9