Gateway Foundation

Gateway Foundation Employer Reviews

great
YC Counselor I (Former Employee), Springfield, ILMay 18, 2014
loved working for this company as a children's case manager. Allowed to create my own schedule so long as I saw all of my clients within the week.
Upside Down and Out of touch
Walker Sayle SAFPF-Intern (Former Employee), Breckenridge TXMay 17, 2014
Pros: not all management was poor, just half of it
Cons: agendas, policies, and social media do not help clients find peace or recovery
Gateway Walker Sayle Management is not in touch with reality and is more beholden to Chicago policies and personal agenda. Management sends mixed messages while mid management works by policies and blends their personal agendas. The clients? Oh, they get lip service and coddling. "Hug a Thug" is common place and accountability is just a word used as – more... window dressing. I speak of the Gateway personnel and not the TDCJ employees. THEY have follow through which Gateway employees can take notes from. – less
Not a good place to work or call a career
Counselor I (Former Employee), Newark, NJApril 29, 2014
Cons: no lunch break, no time off and pay is not good
working in corrections is difficult as it is but working for Gateway was even worse. you are overworked and under paid with no time off. Under constant scrutiny. for six months I had no desk and no where to complete my work assignements. Supervision was horrible and once I was moved I had a desk but the bugs would fall out of the vents. The clients/prisoners – more... were mistreated and most employees were only there for the paycheck and the clients were never treated properly or given the proper treatment.

My coworkers were unprofessional, most were past inmates themselves. – less
positive learning environment
Substance Abuse Counselor II (Former Employee), Aurora, ILApril 23, 2014
Pros: continous learning, free seminors
Cons: constant relapse of individual that struggle with addictions.
I enjoyed with a multi talented team of people who were committed to helping people overcome addictions.
Great Co-worker
Adolescent Residential Counselor II (Former Employee), Springfield, ILApril 12, 2014
Pros: learn a lot ang gets lots of expereince as a clinican
Cons: management issues
I worked for Gateway for six years in the community department. The clients and staff were great but there were issues with the director being too close with the director being too close to the supervisors in her charge. Very fast paced and little room for advancement.
Workplace culture
LCDC intern training (Former Employee), Hondo, TXJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: long commute if out of towm
Workplace culture is difficult due to having to work in a prison
A day at work
Training & Intake Coordinator, Counselor II, AA2 (Current Employee), Springfield, ILDecember 3, 2013
Pros: laid back environment, lunches provided
Cons: unstable environment
Very dynamic working environment, no 2 days are the same. Clients are the best part of the job and the feeling that you could be helping someone change their life.
Productive and Diverse work place
Intern (Current Employee), Delaware City, DENovember 23, 2013
There are 78 clients at any given time 58 males and 20 females in this facility. We ensure that the clients are working on their recovery, and not half stepping the program. Management is great they are always there for you if and when you need them. Co-workers are really supportive and a pleasure to work with. I have learned a lot about AA and NA through – more... the clients and a lot about various addictions, the clients are very insightful and willing to share their stories. – less
Great staff, and great management team.
Substance Abuse Counselor II (Current Employee), Fordland, MONovember 18, 2013
Pros: great management
Cons: commute
The hardest part of the job is that it can be intimidating working with the offenders. The most enjoyable part is knowing that if you can help just one person then you can make a difference.
Co-workers are helpful and willing to help. Management care about the staff and willing to help as well.
Stay away!
Counselor (Former Employee), Kyle, TxOctober 28, 2013
Pros: learn to be assertive with a violent population
Cons: unethical and abuses the system
Management discriminates, overworks staff, gossips, obvious favoritism and racism, and no teamwork. Will not give you the right internship hours. Does not believe in initiative, rather, being dictated by management. You will Learn how to be Unethical. No security.
A great place to grow
Program Clerk & Coordinator (Former Employee), Hondo, TXOctober 10, 2013
Every day at work with excel was a stressless one. It was inspirational working there because they compelled you to strive with the potential of learning more and advancing.
Good Place to Work
Administrative Assistant 11 (Former Employee), Caseyville, ILSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: good work environment and employees and management were very professional.
Cons: n/a
The management and all the workers were wonderful to work with. They were all very helpful and understanding. I would have still loved to work there if it weren't for the State of Illinois cutting the budget and got rid of the whole detox program in a matter of a few weeks.
fun at work
Counselor II (Former Employee), Delaware City, DEAugust 27, 2013
Pros: theraputic
morning meet with staff. community meeting with clients. conduct group sessions and schedule individual drug and alcohol counseling
negitive work enviroment
intake (Former Employee), lake villa.illAugust 20, 2013
Pros: free breakfast
Cons: lying management
Culture of intimidation.unreliable management and poor pay.
It's an ok place to work to gain some experience.
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Current Employee), Lake villaAugust 9, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no comment
I had gained experience that I will use towards future career goals.
very good learning experienced. enjoyed working with clients.
Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 22, 2013
Pros: feeling a since of happiness knowing you tried to help others.
Cons: watching a former inmate return and relapse.
As a drug and Alcohol counselor I had to lead groups and individual sessions with inmates. I inspected there rooms, provided individual counseling and group sessions. I learned a lot about people and how important counseling is. My clients depended on me and I enjoyed helping others. I has to assess inmates addictions and note what took place on a daily – more... bases.
I worker with my supervisor and he was a pleasure to work with. He taught me the job and he was very easy to learn from.
The hardest part of my job was trying not to become attached to the clients. I am a very caring person and it is hard not to really care about people in the life, especially when the struggle with drugs and alcohol.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the ladies and hopefully the treatment plan that I planned for them did work. – less
The job was very high pace and multi task
Certified Criminal Justice Professional (Former Employee), San Diego, TXJune 23, 2013
A typical day at Gateway would be check in, sit in on client's counseling session review parole and judge reports, make neccessary changes, make assessments on clients and process intakes.
Pleasing the customers
Counselor II (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 20, 2013
Focus on customers receiving a high level of customer service by offering knowledge about the products/company, and genuine commitment to their needs.

July 8, 2013

What is the starting pay range for a "Counselor I" position?

Life changing and rewarding place to work.
Chemical Dependency Technician (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2013
Pros: to see lives changed.
Cons: overnight shift.
A typical night at work would include client monitoring. Staffing paperwork. Documenting and logging the nights events. Assisting clients as they prepare to have a productive day. I also run a daily recreational group that allows clients to get physically fit and healthy in order to live healthy lives once they leave treatment.
Learning experience
Receptionist (Former Employee), Springfield, ILMarch 20, 2013
Pros: learning a experience
Cons: short lunch breaks, no room for advancement
It's was a very different environment, but I learned a lot to add to my resume.