Gateway Foundation Employee Reviews

Treat modalities are good when allowed.
Counselor 1 (Former Employee) –  Aurora, IL 60506November 18, 2017
Productive and on the cutting edge of treatment modalities.Sometime places filling beds over the proper treatment of clients. Expects loyalty over treatment.
Pros
Theraputic
Cons
Filing beds over treatment sometimes.
Horrible management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2017
The facility overall is a good place to work with decent benefits. Advancement is not going to happen here. Management is poor, conniving and unorganized. The counselors are rude and no support or respect for nursing.Huge turn over rate.Avoid if possible.
Pros
Benefits, parking, lunch
SW intern
SW intern (Former Employee) –  Delaware City, DEOctober 25, 2017
Working at Gateway was a great learning experience for me while I was working on my Masters. Gateway assisted me with advancing my educational career. Great group of people who work there.
Good people. Bad organizational style
Direct Care Monitor/Driver (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 21, 2017
Management insists on keeping staff in the dark about everything and the result is low office morale. Walking on faith everyday is exhausting. There are no evil people here. Just poor structure and very little communication.
It's a business
Lead Direct Care Monitor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2017
I don't feel they care about their employees and communication with upper management is lacking. I do not want to keep writing about this company a job is a job they all have faults.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Would not recommend, not for CNAs
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILSeptember 28, 2017
Although the job was very laid back, I worked overnights as a CNA, I was not comfortable working for this company. They are very disorganized and are very money driven. They were also extremely short staffed and highly unprofessional. I was laid off, and apparently every other staff member knew before I did and they gave me less than two weeks to find another job.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
not professional, no advancement opportunity
Great work/life balance
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2017
Things improved after I had left. Change in benefits (for the better), people (overturning leadership), and work pace. Great work/life balance while I was there with the projects I was on.
Pros
healthy snacks, free coffee, work life balance
Cons
career advancement is lacking, support from management needs improvement
Not bad for an experience
Family Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 25, 2017
It wasn't too much work but it wasn't always enough. Lots employee drama. Management could improve. It's good for the experience, if you are lucky enough to get any.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management, low pay, junk benefits
Great Place to work.
Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Answered all calls for clients or loved ones that arte seeking treatment for drugs and or alcohol. Performed screenings over the phone to clients who are seeking treatment and would educate clients on the different treatment services that are provided through Gateway. The workplace is a nice small workplace where everyone works as a team. The hardest part of the job is not being able to get ever caller into treatment right away. The most enjoyable part of the job is when our clients are calling wanting to get help. I think that is a huge and scary step, but it's a good step in the right direction.
Pros
Helping those that are in need
Cons
Quickly get burned out
They didn't even provide coffee and any type of in house benefits
Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Dayton, TXSeptember 10, 2017
Lack of proper material to teach and counsel with. Management had more issues than the clients. management always threaten counselors. TDCJ had no control of its officers.
Learning enviornment
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilmer, TxSeptember 6, 2017
If you are a new counselor and you are trying to learn this is a great place for you. There are ups and downs on any job and it just depends on your outlook on life.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
It is fast paced and some people can not keep up
A definite culture shock
Counselor l (Former Employee) –  Delmont, NJAugust 25, 2017
A typical work day is individual counseling sessions, groups, admits and discharges.
The hardest part of the job is learning and adapting to the Therapeutic Community.
The most enjoyable part of the job was group supervision, performance rewards and company paid lunches.
Pros
Flexible work environment
Cons
Short breaks
Awesome client awesome environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 20, 2017
Great place to get your feet wet and learn a great deal from the seasoned staff there. The clientele is easy to work with and there is a lot of support from co-workers.
Pros
Friendly environment
Lots of room for growth
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 10, 2017
Good company, lots of room for advancement, most difficult part of the job was working in a state jail environment, most enjoyable part of the job was helping others
Good Experience
Supervisor. Master LCDC (Current Employee) –  Burnet, TXAugust 8, 2017
Good experience learning to deal with various types of clients from all over the country. Helping them to use different tools to deal with there past issues.
Developed objectives and goals for long term treatment
CHEM.TECH/SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Lake Villa, ILJuly 28, 2017
Gateway provides a variety of services to people in treatment for substance use disorder. Providing therapy to help guide and support engaging in 12 step programs such as alcoholic and narcotic anonymous.
Pros
Peer support groups, relapse prevention plan
Cons
When client relapse
Very challenging and rewarding environment
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 27, 2017
Teamwork environment helps to manage the stress involved in working with this type of a population in a 24-hour environment. It can be a very stressful job at times but were able to lean on each other for assistance and help each other out. Management is great and really seem to have the best interest in mind. Clients can be very challenging but it is a very rewarding job. I have appreciated every aspect of my job and the training that I've received along the way. The biggest problem is the level of Staffing is insufficient for the requirements of the clients which causes issues especially if you need an unscheduled day off.
Pros
Free meals, great staff, rewarding position
Cons
Not enough staff, high stress
Chemical Dependency Technician
Chemical Dependency Technician (Former Employee) –  Delaware City, DEJuly 24, 2017
• An entry-level counseling position at a drug rehabilitation center in Northern Delaware. The position acts as an avenue to gain experience to become a knowledgeable counselor in the field of psychology. The duties of the position include occasionally instruct wellness classes during on the schedules days of the week, as well as, have group meetings with the clients of the facility. Be the eyes and the ears of the already accomplished counselors. Observations of medication treatments are included in the duties of the CD Tech.
We did not have many employee outings
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2017
Fast paced . I Learned about time management, good documentation, helping and changing clients lifestyle and able to
help them identify coping skills. work closely with Supervisors for direct supervision and correct my errors and improve my work ethics.
The hardest part of job was the paperwork had plenty , however i did manage to complete in a timely manner.
Great workplace
Counselor, Clinical Supervisor, Director (Former Employee) –  Lake Villa, ILJuly 14, 2017
Loved my peers, loved working with the clients. Allowed me to build and grow programming. I had the best managers. This is a fast paced job that requires focus and committment to others.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Struggles with public funding impact care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.