Gateway Longview Employee Reviews in United States

Overworked very stressful
Resident counselor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYDecember 29, 2015
You work 12-20 hour days no breaks the kids are nices then the staff food is nasty the kids will starve themselves before they eat the food they will beg them to bring you food staff is lazy all they do is sit on the phone you can make good money but you don't have a social life your required or more like demanded to work overtime it's a good job for someone who dose not have a life. Supervisors get to do whatever they want it's a messed up system kids do not get the help they need!
Pros
Money
Cons
Overworked stressful
Great place for young individuals with no children
Non Secure/ Secure Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJune 2, 2015
A typical day consists of being in one of the cottages male or female and holding each youth accountable for the things they need to be held accountable for. The youth are ages 11-17 and most have mental health issues, previous trauma, family issues, social issues and a variety of other things. It is important in this job to stay consistent with the youth, following their program but most importantly being there for them to discuss one-on-one problems. I enjoyed talking with the youth individually and getting to know them and help them with things they wanted to be helped with. A difficult aspect of the job are the walk in crisis situations, hands on therapeutic interventions and frequent outbursts among youth.
Pros
Job security
Cons
mandated shitfts
Great workplace to work with at-risk youth
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYOctober 29, 2014
A typical day at work consists of redirecting and managing at-risk teenagers to follow a daily routine. Behavior logs and inventories are keep updated at all times to promote observation with youths behaviors. Management are flexible with staff although their is repeatedly high levels of micro-management that make it hard to be autonomous. Co-workers are very professional and the hardest part about this job is dealing with children who do not listen to authority. Other than that, its a pleasure working with the youth once the youth are comfortable with you.
A job something like chess
Residential Counselor/ Mentor (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJune 3, 2014
A typical day at Gateway involves re-directing no less than 3 situations which could easily become violent using a variety of strategies and consequences to alleviate those situations. Constant adaption to a variety of different personalities and reactions of "at risk" youth. And many instances of personal triumph and self satisfaction due to solving a variety of situations safely, charismatically and skillfully. Each day is a new day to earn more respect from your co-workers and share "war stories". The hardest part of the job is that scheduled and on-the-spot, requirements often make a work day 16-20 hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is self accomplishment and the thought that you may be making a difference in the lives of those in your charge.
Pros
free meals
Cons
requirements, raises, no actual breaks
gateway longview
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJanuary 22, 2014
its a good starting poing if your trying to get in the edicuation field.
Great job that helps me to get to know the children on a personal level.
Tutor, mentor and skill-builder for children (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 14, 2013
I spend most of my time with my children from Gateway Longview. I pick the children up from their home and take them out into the community. I teach them social skills and life lessons. Some children are resistant to having a mentor guide them but once they get to know me we have an unbreakable bond. All my cases have closed successfully with the children improving their behavior in the home and in school.
Pros
take children out into the community for fun.
Cons
hours vary.
I miss this job
Crisis Intervention Worker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo NYApril 26, 2013
I had several jobs while at Gateway Longview. I worked at the Therapuetic Preschool for 5 years. My work day was a busy one but that was part of what I loved about it. I got to care for children, teach them important lessons in social cues as well as their basic preschool requirments of learning the ABC's and 123's. The last job I did at the Preschool I was a Crisis Intervention Worker in 3 classrooms. I would go from class to class to help them through tough transitions, assit when children were having behaviors and to simply be with the children. I got to know the kids, spent time reading and playing. I also wrote behavior plans and had to make sure they were being followed by staff. I had to ensure the children's safety if a child was having a behavior. We used Therapuetic Crsis Interventions (TCI) with the children for the safety during the day.
I leanred many things about developmental milestones, learning styles, disabilities and therapies. I also got to do some minor lesson planning for teaching socialemotion skills using the Incredible Years curriculum.
My managers were pretty descent here. I am not sure if they alwasy knew what is was like to be in the classroom day in and day oers ut but they would try to be understanding and accommadating as best they could, I like my supervisors and felt I could come to them if I felt there was something going on with a child or had concern for another co-worker. I also felt supported in times when I was hurt on the job.
My co-workers here were great as well. I loved how well would worked together it was like a finely tuned machine.
  more... Sometimes I wish I had not left this position after I finished my masters program but I guess it was good because change means growth,
The hardest part of this job was that I was responsible for these little people who were amazing in their own right. They had behaviors and act out in public which at times early on in my career were embarassing.
The most enjoyable part of this job was in the down time with kids. They are so honest and funny. We got to play games, make art and read together. Their imaginations were endless and over the top. It was amazing to see them learn sometimes it was like you could see the wheels turning and when they understood they would just light up. This job definatley made me feel like I was doing great things for the best people in the world because the children are our future.
Pros
feel you make a difference in someones life. a good amount of time off
Cons
sometimes you got hurt and it wasn't always rainbows and sunshine
One on One Aide
Counselor One on One Aide (Former Employee) –  Bowmansville, NYFebruary 7, 2013
Working with emotional developmental therapeutic preschoolers in a classroom enviroment provided lessons and workshops, counseling and mentoring
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
too far
Love the children
Counselor One on One Aide (Former Employee) –  Bowmansville, NYFebruary 7, 2013
Worked with children from varies of ages that had some disabilites. I love this job and all my co-workers
Pros
free lunches
wonderful staff and individuals
Mentor/Skill Builder (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 29, 2012
new experiences every day. very flexible schedule. fun staff and managers. Overall great place to work and many opportunities