Gateway Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

I would recommend Gateway as a place of employment
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 11, 2017
My experience with Gateway was I will always remember. Starting off as a cna I took pride in my work. Always went above and beyond. hospital would recognize and tell you to keep up the good work. The hospital had in house training that was beneficial so you wouldn't have to go else where I liked that. Hardest part of the job was when we were short staffed but we all came together and worked as a team to get the job done.Most enjoyable part of my job was making sure my patients got the necessary treatment and care they desired and encouragement for a great recovery and get home soon Gateway is a nice place to work. I would recommend anyone who wants to be in the medical field gateway is a good place to start.
Pros
Free lunch on holidays. In house training
Cons
Busy days when you can't seem to catch up on work
Psych Treatment from those who understand
Clinical Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 6, 2017
Granite City is an economically depressed town hovering on the edge of Former Factory Town, but not quite there yet. Full of decay and homeless, the psych ward stays relatively busy. Therefore, they have hired only the finest psychiatric cases to head up their department for psychiatric treatment. I don't know if it's still that way, but it sure was that way in the old days.
Pros
Great people at entry level
Cons
Cuckoo birds running the place.
high standards in the OR
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 8, 2017
Excellent care in the Operating Room. Poor management. Long hours with high turnover. Call in the operating room was very difficult. Many a nights I worked well over 16 hrs and still had to work the next day. Management did not back their employees. Was told, "If you don't like it, go somewhere else." This was after being loyal for 16 years.
Pros
close to home at the time and high standards in the OR
Cons
long hours, high turnover
Don't know
Internship (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 5, 2017
I was only here for a short internship at their mental health department, but what I saw was good. The nurses seemed to care about he patients. There are few inpatient places left, and they seem to try the best they can
Psych units are full of bullies!!! Staff bullies!!
Behavioral Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 10, 2017
This place pays excellent but the recent change to require 12 hour shifts despite being hired for 8 hour shifts is poor management. The staff on the female psych unit is full of bullies. The staff plays one against the others and I was tired of crying when I left work due to immature idiots.
Pros
pay
Cons
see above
Very stressful, underpaid, and overworked.
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 20, 2017
I enjoyed working with my other coworkers. But they are always so understaffed they just keep putting more and more on you. I went from doing the job I was hired for to doing my job as well as 3 others jobs as well. The worse part is managers are not hired based on work. Lots of "its who you know, or who your related to.
Pros
They offer fun events for the staff diffferent times of the year.
Cons
You dont always get to participate because they are so understaffed.
Psychiatric Nurse, In-Patient Adult Services (Former Employee) –  Granite City, IL 62040May 15, 2017
A typical day consisted of medication administration and group sessions. The management team was great, easily approachable, and fair. The hardest part for me was working with children.
General review
Staff Nurse OB and OR (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 10, 2017
Don't really have a lot to say. Pretty average place. Loved the people. Is a for profit institution. A little different management than I'm used to.
Typical hospital
ER Technician (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 21, 2017
Staff is very professional and well trained. Generally a good place to work and be a patient ( I've been both). The pay was average and benefits could've been better.
Pros
Got to do a lot of neat stuff.
Cons
Pay. Benefits
Inconsistent workplace which does not treat employees in a consistent manner.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 4, 2017
A typical day at work was very busy with a generally high patient to nurse ratio. I learned a lot, something each shift. Management which worked with us directly were helpful when the floor became very busy. The staff was very supportive of each other, helping when others were busy. The hardest part of the job was watching people when they were given a bad diagnosis. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers.

Want to know more about Gateway Regional Medical Center?

Ask a question
Poor Management
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 30, 2017
The high acuity patient to nurse ratio is unsafe. This has caused a high nurse turnover and burnout. The staff is friendly and has made working there a pleasure.
Pros
Great medical staff
Cons
Always low staff and never any help.
Clinical Nurse
CRITICAL CARE REGISITERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILFebruary 24, 2017
In this role I was a clinical floor nurse. Providing evaluations and assessment and daily management of patients currently in the hospital. I provided care to patients and coordinated with physicians
run as fast as you can
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJanuary 7, 2017
New management came in as a headhunter and got rid of all the workers so that he can bring his maintenance personnel in, they all have quit since. run run and dont stop
Pros
Cons
worried about losing your job everyday
Management is lacking
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILJanuary 5, 2017
Most of your time is spent with nitpicking about the little things vs the bigger issues. Example someone does not have a tie on vs someone did not show up for work.
Wonderful experience
Phlebotomist/Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 24, 2016
Excellent source of exposure and experience for phlebotomy. Developed the ability to work under stressful situations and still manage to be productive.
Pros
Set work hours, Excellent phlebotomy experince
Cons
Encountering death of all ages
Excellent place to work
Physician practices (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 27, 2016
No place is a perfect place to work. I feel at GRMC everyone tries to be the best they can be. I am glad to be a part of the team and feel that everyone works together to accomplish the ultimate goal of taking good care of our patients.
Productive and fun place to work.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 6, 2016
I have learned so much while working here, my co-workers are great and pretty helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with patients and the variety of patients you see here. Being able to gain experience with rehab, skilled nursing, bedside, and outpatient all in one job is pretty amazing.
Pros
Awesome co-workers and supervisor
Cons
Cafeteria food isn't the best
too much drama
Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILFebruary 3, 2016
department had too many favorites and not favorites, not very large, not very diverse, good hours, enjoyed working in the er
Love and caring
Jr. Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILDecember 27, 2015
I loved this job because I got the best of both world. I love working with kids and older people so this job was great working with sick patients and I will do it again.
ER staff
Unit Secretary Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILDecember 13, 2015
The ER was like a family. Everyone helped each other and had each others back, That is very important to me. We had a big turn over with the nursing director position and the moral dropped. The hardest part of the job is not taking things personal. The best part of the job is being part of a top notch ER and being part of making a differance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Gateway Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location