Gavin de Becker & Associates Employee Reviews

You get out what you put in
Protector (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 18, 2016
If your view of protection is shaped by twenty years of television and movies, like I suspect it is for some of these guys who wrote poor reviews, then of course you'll be disappointed. But if you enter the company with realistic expectations about protection then you'll be very happy b/c you can grow with a growing company. But be ready to work hard.

I've entered the firm after being in the Marine Corps infantry. I'll just say this: If you enter GDBA entitled and expecting extra favors due to your "impressive" background, then it's best not to apply. All your promotions will be based upon one thing: your performance at GDBA, not five years ago in the Marine Corps.

The leadership here doesn't mess around when it comes to guys not doing there jobs. On the flip side, I know a protector in my region almost killed in a motorcycle accident, and the firm was 100% there for him and his family.

It's not an easy job; but if you want a career where top performers are rewarded and the mediocre are not, and a career where you'll meet like minded guys who want to protect others, then apply.
Pros
Merit-based promotions, mission
Cons
schedule is often brutal
Terrible Management/ No work-life balance
Security Staff Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 30, 2016
Unless you enjoy working 60 hours plus a week, often rotating between nights and days, then stay away from this company. Management does not care about your personal life. They do a great job of selling the GDBA image during the recruitment process, but ninety percent of the work you will be doing requires sitting in a command center 12 hours a day. Don't fall for it like I did.

Keep in mind that you will be working an average of 48 hours per week. In the San Francisco Bay area, you simply can't afford to live there unless you volunteer for more overtime. The company doesn't take into consideration how expensive these areas are. The online training this company provides is a joke. If you perform well in your CC but get a bad grade on an assignment, you won't get promoted.
Cons
Long hours, no hands on training after the academy, bad managers
Terrible Management
Staff Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJanuary 25, 2016
I won't waste your time with my opinion. Just want to warn any veterans out there before they apply.

Bottom line up front: Don't trust a company with such a high turnover rate that it has to have mass hirings every few months.

Most of my coworkers were amazing guys who all figured out the scheme around the same time. Pay you rock bottom on entry with promises of promotion and higher pay if "you work harder" and "sacrifice". We all thought we were gonna be cool bodyguards moving tactically with celebrities, when in actuality, you get disciplined for not having the right brand of water/snacks for some client.

Upper management is extremely weak. Only a few of them have a military background, but their supervisory capabilities are very limited.
Pros
coworkers, celebrities
Cons
weak management, low pay, no time off
Decent Job but Bad Management
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Studio City, CAMay 18, 2016
Company is always more interested in the clients, which it should be. Also is a true meritocracy. Unfortunately, this has created a place where leadership cannot be trusted, and will not go to bat for you. I've even seen situations created that force a subordinate to take the blame for things that the boss should have looked out.
Pros
Pro environment. They are working hard to make things better on paper.
Cons
As the company grows, the culture becomes more artificial.
Productive, yet heavy work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
Not much to say, you will be required to work long hours. Work life balance is kind of mixed. You will be expected to work after hours and weekends.
Great Career Starter
Field Protective Agent/Security Staff Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 11, 2015
If you're looking for a opportunity to break into the security field and learn the basics from a long standing company, than this is the place. You will get a through on the job training in residential security, and if you advance and there are positions open, might even break into the world of Executive Protection. Great benefits for anyone fresh out of college, or family man/women looking to get a start in the security field.
Pros
Big, locations nationwide
Cons
salary can leave you wanting, compared to hours worked. No room for work life balance.
Security
Secretary (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2016
Work is as you would expect for security. The employees I work with are great and its a good work environment. I would recommend this job for anywho who enjoys security.
Great work experience - Learned a lot about interacting with many different types of people
security staff agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 7, 2013
Good company to work for. Work was in the form 12hr shifts at 4 days per week. Work ranged everywhere from static residential/corporate locations to mobile secured transport operations. Management of the company had overall poor leadership and values. My co-workers were some of the most amazing people I met in my life. The hardest part about the job was not having sick days/pto to be able to spend time with my family. Also working the required 48hrs a week 12hr shifts, additional duties were tasked at random and many times worked beyond required hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, experience, and the skills that I learned.
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Healthcare, advancement, leadership
Demanding work place with little regard for personal life. Great training.
Security Staff Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2014
Long hours and little time off. Great training and room for advancement.