GC Services

GC Services Employee Reviews

I loved working here.
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJanuary 17, 2014
Working here was awesome. The managers were great, the trainers were great, and the coworkers that I had were for the most part pretty friendly. There were a couple of jerks, but you get that everywhere.
The pay varies, because there's commission, but it's easy to get. The hardest part of the job is trying not to sound bored on the phone after talking to so many people. The most enjoyable part is the relaxed work environment and awesome coworkers. I had a lot of fun here.
The major downside is that they lost the project I was on, and the branch I worked at closed, and when they were moving people to different projects and facilities, I went somewhere else rather than take a pay cut.
Pros
awesome coworkers, relaxed environment, fun work day
Cons
pay varied, not enough work sometimes led to people being sent home
A good place for high school students.
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 27, 2014
You come in five minutes before your shift, set up your systems and get ready for phone calls.

How to read credit, I did credit analyzing for a year

The management had their favorites, and those people never got in trouble, even if they were bad at their jobs, the management it's self were more likely to write you up for being a diligent worker and trying to do your job than the ones that just got up and walked around while keeping people on the phones.

Co-Workers were loud and obnoxious, making customers on the phone question what's going on the the background.

Hardest part was having rotation days, where you sometimes would work 10 days straight and no day off then 4 days off then come back and do another 10 days again before it evens out.

The most enjoyable part was going home.
Long work days, kind management that's gets things done
Entergy Electric and Gas Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 15, 2015
A typical day at work starts at 5AM and ends at 5PM. That's right, 12 hour shifts, thirty minute lunches with two fifteen minute breaks. Management tries to keep employees from being as burnt out as possible with competitions, snacks, and different themed days. The hardest part is sitting in a chair 12 hours a day with back to back calls and knowing you will be stuck in the beginning position. The best part of the job is management on the floor. They are the most supportive, loving group and are always willing to listen to any grievances you may have. They understand how hard your job is because GC Services only promotes internally.
Pros
Snacks, Open and Honest environment.
Cons
long work days, not much flexibility in schedule
a company that will hire anybody and use people
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  knoxville, tnNovember 27, 2013
I am a supervisor and there is no structure to the company I have been there almost 5 years. Most managers have favorites and some people do not get discipline and I am a person that the rules go for all people instead of a few. there is really no action plan to anything that is going on there.I work well with others and well liked by the peers. The hardest part of the job is keeping order when one manager let the employees do what they know they should not and you try to keep order in line but there is no problem for me. I enjoyed dealing with customers and helping them through their financial problem. The thing I learned is some people need to learn patience in any customer service or any field for the matter to control a situation.
benefits
Good hours, good atmosphere
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Weldon Springs, moJune 8, 2012
A typical day at Gc Services was filled with answering multiple phone calls of nice or very rude customers and working many different accounts. I learned that being a account representative/ collector isn't as hard as it seems. Because I stayed to myself I can't really say how my co-workers were with an exception to the few I got to know in training. The management was great. There really wasn't anything hard about my job, I caught on quick and got my work done. The most enjoyable part of my job was the fact that I was able to be to myself and get my work done. Being to myself caused me to push out alot of accounts at a time and that kept me busy and made the day go by faster.
Pros
hours, pay, independence, employee lunchroom, and fast work pace
Cons
distance from home
it has its ups and downs
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Copperas Cove, TXMarch 9, 2014
a typical day at work her was very interesting we were constantly working sometimes with no breaks hardly had time to clean up between orders so things tend to get a bit messy. I learned a lot in this job like customer service and how to cater to others and satisfy others and you also learn very fast that the customer is always right so you do your best to help them. my co-workers and I worked very hard to keep everything up to standard management was over worked and never paid for their work they were paid what an employee made which was very unfair to them. the hardest part of the job was to keep the work place clean and keeping labor time down. the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing new faces everyday and working with a great staff
Surprises
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 14, 2013
A typical day at GC services is very eventful. Our goal in this position is to make sure that each client understands the benefit of staying on top of bills that are exepected to be paid. When you get a client to realize this, it makes you feel as an Account Representative that you have made a person have less stress. I learned that no matter how angry an individual is with you, you must always remain as professional. Management was always there to help you grow and how to be more effective in helping the client out with their accounts. Co-workers existed, but to a minimium. We all had responsibilities. The hardest part of the job was the angry clients. The easiest was getting them to understand the benefit of doing things the right way.
Pros
hours
Cons
lunch breaks
It's a full time job that you could find yourself settling into for several years.
Correspondence Clerk/Electronic Payment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 17, 2015
It's a collection agency. Most of the employees are calling debtors. A rather tough job at times, but collectors did receive bonuses based on the money that they did collect--very nice bonuses in some cases.

If you don't have the thick skin for that job, they offer other positions that are less stressful but lack the potential for bonuses. But they aren't bad jobs if you don't need to make lots of money and you're not worried about maintaining an extravagant lifestyle.

Odds are that you'll become good friends with at least some of your coworkers, if you want to.
Pros
It sure beats fast food.
Cons
Who your manager is can really affect how much you like and loathe this job.
Houston's HGO Treasury department
Reconciliations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2015
Pro's:
1) Good place to work if you can't find a relevant job anywhere else.
2) Lots of overtime (whether you like it or not)
3) If Management likes you will get promoted.

Con's:
1) Below average pay and expensive health insurance.
2) 2003 Excel based, mom & pop accounting and no one in management has even a college degree.
3) Tiny 14 inch monitor guaranteed to make you put on glasses.
4) Managment play favourites to extremes.
5) Smelly & dirty restrooms.
6) Small break-room filled with rowdy crowd most of the time.
7) Management is Cheap and makes you spend your own money for team-events.
8) Very high turn-over rate.
9) Hires almost anyone.

Verdict:
It's a joke of a company and only find employment there if you desperately need a job otherwise keep on looking.
Unorganized environment
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Copperas Cove, TXNovember 8, 2012
A typical day at GC Services can be challenging when dealing with Collections. I've learned how to work with customers with disappointment, highly upset, and very disrespectful. The management was unorganized, some managers showed favoritism, didn't conduct themselves as a manager when becoming irritated and just lack of professionalism. Co-workers were the reason why i would be excited to go to work other than getting a paycheck, we created a relationship, like a family. The hardest part on the job was realizing the mistakes upper management would make and i knowing i couldn't do anything to change it. The most enjoyable part was the friendships i developed with my co-workers.
Pros
worked around my school schedule
Cons
unorganized
productive, large turnover, constant write ups, contests
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 2, 2015
Personally if you didn't keep up to speed or made the most simple mistake you were written up. If you were absent due to illness you were still written up and that stayed on your record even if you had a doctors note. I had pneumonia, had to go to the hospital and was told I'd loose my job if I missed training. Others who had the same issues, but had been there longer were treated much differently. Everyone learns differently, yet your were treated different if you didn't move as fast as others. The training had nothing to do with the actual work.
Pros
there were always incentives and ways to make income if you were good enough.
Cons
training had nothing to do with actual work, very unprofessional dress.
Stressful workplace
Collections supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 12, 2014
A typical day of work consisted of handling several calls throughout the day of customers with past due balances.

I learned patience and great call center experience at this job.

Management at this location was organized and you were able to ask any manager a question when needed.

Coworkers were also very helpful, always willing to assist with what ever you needed help with.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with a customer that really did not want to understand what was being told to them and wanted to speak with everyone..ex supervisor, managers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a set schedule from Mon-Fri and be able to have a relationship with your coworkers out of work.
Pros
job gatherings
Cons
short breaks
Waste of Time
Accounts Rep (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 30, 2013
This place is a piece of sht. They call you for an interview that lasts about 5 to 6 hrs long only to tell you at the end of the interview that because of a simple charge on your background they are going to submit your app to HR for review then while I'm constantly calling for 2weeks to say that it was denied. WTF they knew I had a simple charge when I went for the interview. They don't even pay you well enough but I guess it's some money for the time being if you are in school. The ppl there that interview you like coney act like they are above ppl etc, etc there is no job stability at all.& they take you through the longest interview process with all these tests only to fuk you over at the end,
Cons
don't pay enough, people think they are at a higher level than you, etc
Resourceful, but strict working environment
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Copperas Cove, TXFebruary 28, 2015
I worked as an account representative, which meant I had to collect debt payments from customers that had an outstanding debt with one of our clients. I had to learn how to remain calm under duress, how to talk to people calmly, how to ask for help if I didn't understand anything, and how to negotiate. Hardest part as not being able to have a cell phone out or look sleepy when coming in on early days without looking like you don't want to work. It was a semi-relaxed environment, but more comfortable for those that have worked there longer than those just starting out.
Pros
hour long lunches, two 15 minute breaks every shift, able to pick overtime hours
Cons
only way to get bonuses was to meet certain payment goals
Account Representative for Capital One (Former Employee) –  Copperas Cove, TexasMarch 27, 2013
I worked for GC services for 3 months. When i first started out i had a great manager who really explained things to me especially since i was a new agent. Then i changed managers but my second manager was just like my first really helpful and understanding showed me things that i was doing wrong and helped me to fix them to be a better agent. My last manager however sucked. She didnt show me anything i was doing wrong all she wanted to do was tear me apart and make me feel like i didnt know how to do my job. I was a reallly great agent before i got her. She only cared about herself and if your stats werent like hers you werent good enough.
Pros
flexible schedule, great opportunities to move up
Cons
poor management lack of training
Productive workplace
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Irwindale, CaApril 11, 2012
A typical day at work is audit co-workers and do projects for supervisor, which I honestly enjoy doing. I have learned that I must be very precise when dealing with projects and the importance of them. My managemwnts is great, I love my supervisor; she is very easy to talk to, but she is very strict as well. My co-workers are great, I get along with all of them and have made friends with a few. The hardest part of the job is being able to finish the project before the day required so supervisor will not have to strss about it for long. The most enjoyable part of the job is the projects presented to me, they are a challenge sometime, but I love challenges.
Pros
great work environment, great co-workers
Cons
i have to travel.
Steer Clear of this place, unless you are in desperate need of a job!!
Collections Sprint (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 19, 2012
This place is very poorly run! You share desks, and headsets, no set seating area, just get there first to sit, desks are gross and dirty! Went through 3 managers in 3 months, the place was actually set on FIRE in the women's restroom. Overall it was just very confusing and unorganized, while in training we were taught one thing and on the last day, they changed the rules again, this happened multiple times. So much attrition and influx of young and old people, you never knew who was going to be doing what, when. Be prepared to wait on hold or hold your hand for a very long time to just be told "no" and not given a reason why you are being told no for.
Pros
raffles and free snacks occasionally
Basic call center with several flaws
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Copperas CoveDecember 13, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of answering 70-100 inbound calls. The turn around rate at this center was very high so the high call volume was a factor pretty much the whole 2 years I worked there. I learned beneficial information for my everyday personal life so that was cool. My manager was awesome as we had a lovely relationship. Other mangers were not so awesome and tended to micro manage and not be organized. At times being there felt like high school. The hardest part of the job was not having a set schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was educating customers.
Pros
banquets, incentives for perfect attendance, recognition for wow calls
Cons
micro managing, favoritism, low pay, no set schedule
fun workplace
Inbound/Outbound Collector (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2012
I collecting on american express accounts that were overdue; I learned how to cope with many different kinds of clients helping to resolve debt repayment; My team leader was very helpful and always there for extra coaching as needed; My co-workers were really fun to work with.We helped each other as a team to reach goals set; The hardest part of the job was to deal with clients who really wanted to pay but just didnt have the funds at that moment. I have been in that type of situation and felt empathy for them; The most enjoyable part of the day was daily rewards given to a person or team who either met their goal for the day or at a time given by management.
Pros
free lunch; movie tickets; cash
Cons
healthcare; dental costs
No opportunity for advancement and disorganized management.
Acquisitions Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 1, 2015
This Job claimed to pay minimum wage plus commission and commission checks were supposed to be monthly. In the time I spent working there I received one commission check and management would send us emails telling us that we wouldn't receive them because payroll went on vacation and forgot to sign off on the checks. I was also pregnant when I worked at this job and I would take extra bathroom breaks or get up to walk around, or use another chair to elevate my feet and I would get sent to human resources all the time. I had to get a doctors authorization for everything I was doing. This was by far the worst call center I have worked for.
Pros
Long Lunches.
Cons
Incorrect Pay