GCI Employee Reviews

great company to work for
Field Services Technician II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 17, 2017
this company is a great work experience and a great family to work with. great benefits and great pay, i would of loved to stay around for a long time but had to move on. thanks for the great years
Great career
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKOctober 2, 2017
I loved working at GCI and I hope to be back there really soon! The compensation is awesome, the companion general looks out for you and provides exciting benefits among other activities.
Relaxed workplace because they pay so little and have no benefits.
Trim Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 12, 2017
Small company that really needs to grow. Until they grow they will not be able to pay their employees more and therefore will not retain workers. They are a family business that is small now but may grow to something if they actually choose to pay their workers a decent wage.
Pros
Friendly crew, flexible, Family business
Cons
Low pay, no room for advancement.
Productive and enjoyable
Converter Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 10, 2017
Stayed very busy. But was still able to have a good time. Very laid back even though everyone was busy. Big thing I learned, especially at a young age was how to manage and take on big responsibility.
They hired a drug addict for my boss
Retail Sales Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKSeptember 9, 2017
I won the job in October 2014 and they hired an alcoholic drug addict partier for my boss and he fired me while he was drunk. I was not allowed to speak with HR to give my side of the story
Energetic company with lots of opportunity ro move up.
Technician 4 (Current Employee) –  Kodiak, AKSeptember 3, 2017
The day consists of starting your( for feild staff) day at the office and depending on what you do, you are either given your marching orders or doing your own schedule. GCI is the leading communications company in Alaska they are very enthusiastic about getting all of alaska the communications it needs to give it it's business and educational needs. It's a great company with tons of benefits.
Pros
Supports its employees, and a friendly place to work
Cons
Your in Alaska. Which could be a pro
I didn't really have a grip on it.
Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 31, 2017
There were a lot of people up the ladder making decisions. My project was canceled. I really liked my co-workers and managers. They are a sharp group of people over there.
Pros
It wasn't full of jerks.
Cons
Not a lot of transparency.
Managing Partner
Sales and Manufacturing - Managing Partner (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 29, 2017
Company Closed
Great opportunities, great partner. The first NDT Warehouse in West Texas. Sales well exceeded expectations. The hardest part of the job, not enough time. Would love to reopen this company again, or be apart of it.
Fun workplace.
Canvassing Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 19, 2017
Great company to work for very caring. Extremely family oriented. Worked for them during last election. Managers were very helpfull. Housing was provided for traveling. Very fun!
Pros
Work party's
Cons
Traveling
Great experience
Lead Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 30, 2017
Really enjoy the staff and co worker's there. I learned a lot from my Supervisor. Must of all I really enjoy coming to work and helping my staff with the work production.
Retail sales consultant
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 23, 2017
I work here for about a year. It is an excellent job for some one who is just getting to the work force. however i personally wanted something more. i would not work here again.
cellular. cable. telephone. long distance. local phone service
retail store specialist III (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKJuly 17, 2017
This was a high paying commissionable job. It was stressful while employees. High expectations, and unrealistic goals , very competitive in the cellular network, the work completed was micromanaged. The paperwork and computer work were not easy, but expectations were to achieve unlimited quantities.
Pros
free services
Cons
no breaks, late hours and tons of overtime
Great coworkers
INTEGRATED TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 17, 2017
Work is very fast paced. Taking 50+ calls in tech support. Though the benefits, like free services, healthcare, vacation/sick leave and free health clinics each year. Close management was great, always communicated issues while being constructive.
Pros
Breaks, lunches and healthcare
Cons
Upset customers, fast paced
GCI Machine Operater
Water Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJune 8, 2017
It Was A Good Paying Job, Always Had Hours, Long Shifts But The Pay Made Up For It, Learned How To Drive A Water Truck Was One Of My Favorite Parts, And Learned How To Handle It With Care
Pros
Good Paying, Alot Of Hours
Cons
15 Minute Lunches, 2 Breaks
My time with GCI
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  800 E Dimond 5-540May 17, 2017
The folks l worked with were exceptional Never a day went by that if there was a question all the resources were available as well as co workers if questions were not found
Pros
Free cbke TV and Internet
Cons
Some days too many jobs and not enough field techs
Combination of fun and stress
Project Assistant /Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 1, 2017
Typical day at work combination of fun and stress. Learned a lot about construction industry for 17 years. I love working with the Principal/Founder with the company, he is very fair with his employees, easy to talk to & good listener and take action right away. The hardest part of the job overwhelmed with projects per employee. The most enjoyable part of the job get along with some of your co-workers and become your friends. Also, I love and value working in construction.
Pros
Free lunch on monday, transportation allowance and work time avaieastylability
Cons
Health care benefits
GCI Furniture
Mover/Installer (Former Employee) –  HawaiiApril 4, 2017
I enjoyed working with this company even if management didn't really have everything run so smoothly. But thoroughly enjoyed the work I did at scholfield. Giving back to the soldiers that serve us was a really great experience.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
coming through the gate. Getting you're card
Neurotic culture
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 26, 2017
For a communications company, GCI is notorious for it's lack of internal coordination. While the pay and benefits can be good, it's very common for changes in focus, new management structures and complete 180 on projects that used to be the first priority.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits, some opportunity for advancement
Cons
Constantly trying to figure out who they are and how to organize themselves
Awesome company. Nothing negative to say.
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 23, 2017
Great pay and benefits and the hospitality and professionalism of GCI was extraordinary. I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company.
Pros
Pay, contract
really good place to work at. very fun people to work with
Welder Operator (Former Employee) –  Garfield, MNDecember 8, 2016
I would arrive at 6am and go find a job to weld,then i would start welding, have a 10 min break at 9, work till 12 and that is our 30 min lunch break.at 12:30 i would go back to work and work till 3 and then would clock out for the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GCI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2