GCI Employee Reviews

I loved this job!
Tier 4 Member (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 23, 2016
I absolutely loved this job! In fact, if I hadn't had to move, I would still be there. Retired from there, in fact. The management was very family orientated. Raises and promotions were given to deserving people and done so often. GCI cares about its employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers.
Pros
just about everything!
Cons
dealing with customers
The best company I have ever worked for!
Tier 4 (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 29, 2016
I absolutely loved working for GCI. The benefits were awesome and the management/co-workers were the best. The opportunity for advancement was amazing!
Pros
everything about this job
Cons
it's only in Alaska
Fun place to work
Logistics Support & Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 23, 2016
GCI is a great company with great benefits including bonuses and paid time off for volunteer work. Great vacation accrual and awesome 401K plan, plus cable/internet discounts. Big company so atmosphere generally depends on the department.
Pros
Great benefits, volunteer days, great 401K, discounted services
Cons
Advancement options can be limited if you want to grow within.
GCI was very, very good to me!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 29, 2016
Outstanding benefits with GCI, such as medical/dental/vision insurance, vacations, sales incentives and discounted telecommunications services. Excellent 401K!
$$$
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 16, 2015
I worked in the call center and did it for 5+ years before moving within the company. While call center life can be stressful, you can make a lot of money through gaining commissions. I noticed that a lot of people at GCI have long tenure, lots of people stay there long term. That's a good sign!
Pros
Access to free services (cable, Internet), sale incentives, decent pay, training, educational assistance, 401k, 7 hours of leave per pay period, paid holidays
Cons
Stress, hard to schedule days off, shift bids in call center
New customer relations
Field Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 17, 2016
Always learning new things, going into peoples houses, new challenges, fixing their cable trying to find problems. Never know what to expect when you go into a new home, and it can be a surprise; but I love when it works out and I leave with a happy customer.
Great place to work, wish it was not temporary
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 9, 2016
Was a temp, great job, great people, was only there long enough to help them until catch up. Learned that just a little fun is a great way to improve any work environment.
Pros
Communication between departments is PERFECT. at least an hour for lunches, more if you get lunch for everyone else too.
Cons
no free lunches :(
Great Company!
SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 30, 2016
This is a wonderful company to work for and one that truly cares about the community. There may be problems in services at times, which leads to a lot of complaints, but overall this is a great organization.
Pros
Free TV, Cheap cellular
Productive, fun and easy to get along with
Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MISeptember 23, 2016
Loved this place. I was a quality auditor. People wqs good to work with. Have good benifts. Good training have a quiestion or need help someone will help you.
Pros
Good benifts
gci
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJune 8, 2016
Management was a mess when I first got there and there were some unwelcoming pple to work with. unfriendly and unkind to new staff, few were kind and welcoming.
Pros
clients were awesome
Cons
understaffed most of time
Productive and Challenging
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 6, 2013
A typical day at GCI would include long busy lines with somewhat troublesome customers, new customers, and or customers needing technical support, a lot of cash handling and able to sell cable/internet/cell phones. I learned a lot about multi tasking and to stay calm and professional when we were to get busy, I also learned the value of team work. Management was troublesome at times when we'd be short staffed but always helpful. Coworkers became family and were always there to lend a helping hand when you tried to deal with everything yourself. The hardest part about the job was working in the cold drastic climates of Alaska winter weathers and having to travel in the worst conditions. The most enjoyable part was the monthly meetings where the managers would tell us what we needed to work on and reward us with praise on what we had accomplished
Pros
Teamwork, Great Staff, and Training
Cons
Last minute schedule changes, Short Staffed and stressful customers
Great Working Experience and a Productive Enviroment
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 15, 2016
It was always a joy working with GCI. Everyone was friendly and hard working. The most enjoyable part of this experience was the joy of meeting everyone.
Great Opportunity for those willing to train hard
Analytics (Current Employee) –  Wyckoff, NJOctober 11, 2015
Bright, interesting colleagues; fantastic culture.
Micro management can be a challenge for many projects. There is often more than one project leader.
Career advancement is open; the only limit is personal effort.
Pros
Excellent mentors
Cons
Long hours, heavy travel
enjoyable
Director (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 13, 2016
typical day overseeing day to day operations of facility, Buildings or homes built prior to 78' have a 25% or more rating of having LEAD base products installed, management was ok, co workers friendly, hardest part was dealing with section 42 tenants, most enjoyable part was rehabbing the facility.
Pros
Cons
section 42
loved my job
Installer (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKFebruary 11, 2016
Traveled to customers premises to install,maintain,or repair cable phone internet equipment comical and residential.
Inspected or tested cable or phone wiring .
measure signal strength at poles using electronic test equipment.
set up services for customers,installing,connecting ,testing,or adjusting Equipment poles or latter
Pros
loved my job
Cons
cant think of any
The Job was Average!!!!!
Call Center Rep (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 28, 2014
At GCI I learned basic accountant skills. I hardly ever seen my manager. My co-workers were very rude. The hardest part of the job was the rude co-workers and the best part of the job was we had personal cubicles,
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
We always had to ask permission to go to the restroom.
Gci
Customer Service Wireless Provisioning (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 2, 2014
GCI Services are free and they like to promote within.
Always on the raise of new things.
Pros
GCI Services
Cons
Large
Training
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  FairbanksDecember 29, 2013
GCi is an awesome company to work for, Benefits are good and the relationships are better. Training is never an issue when it comes to working.
Great Company
Circuit Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  2550 Denali Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99507August 21, 2013
• Able to organize, prioritize, exceed and meet short deadlines assigned
Skills: • Excellent Customer Service & Follow Through – Internally and Externally
• Work closely with other ILEC/CLEs /IXCs & Management
• Strong working knowledge of MTS and Private Line systems – (MetaSolv)
• Work multiple projects at the same time
• Run and worked various spreadsheets & reports for management and weekly status meetings.
• Knowledge Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel, Access, Remedy, PLDB, MetaSolv
• Switchboard PBX systems, Microfiche, Fax and 10-Key
• I’ve received various awards over the years.
Pros
Work hard and you are able to progress further.
Cons
Can't really think of anything.
Temporary employment at GCI
Temporary employment as a field service technician (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 7, 2015
As a "temp" at GCI you are constantly reminded of your status, there are two sets of rules for "real" GCI employees. There are also no perks for temps i.e. regular employees get bonuses for service report calls work, while temps are just expected to do the same work for less pay. GCI treats all the field service techs like cattle, taking advantage of the current job market, expecting good quality work from, for the most part ill trained, and underpaid employees. Forcing temporary employees to take trouble calls even after the customer has asked for a lead technician. Lead technicians leaving their team to fend for them selves because of over booking appointments for the day. The complete lack of understanding by the supervisors that each call is different.
Pros
free services
Cons
over burdening new and undertrained employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GCI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2