Geek Squad Employee Reviews in United States

Advanced Repair Agent (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 16, 2016
Working for geek squad is easy if you have some technical skills.
I've learned how to effectively communicate with people, and how to work efficiently work under pressure.
The management doesn't care how well you do your job, if you would like a promotion just be friendly with them.
Co-workers that I've worked with are great at what they do, but sometimes there's always that one guy...
Hardest part of the job is when you do your job amazingly well and not get recognition for.
the most enjoyable part of the jobs was to help clients, fix something that was broken and make them happy...
Pros
Great Discounts, Relaxed laid back job, Friendly working environment.
Cons
For part time: Will have no benifits, not getting recognizing for your work
Advanced Repair Agent (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 15, 2016
Good place to work if you're looking into something that allows you to explore critical thinking, problem-solving, and self-driven research. Workplace culture is deep-rooted and adds a lot to the experience.
Decent
Lead Consultation Agent (Current Employee) –  Orange, CTAugust 14, 2016
The culture behind Geek Squad makes it feel a bit more than your average tech job. A job title of Agent, a legit badge; if nothing else it makes it a bit more fun. The job is fast paced, and has greatly expanded my computer knowledge. Being in a retail environment, I feel like a lot of customers feel much more entitled than if they were at a sole computer repair facility. Lots of "I bought this here" "Do you know how much I spend in this store?" as if I'm just supposed to spit on the guy next to them because he spent less.
Fun place to work
ReAgent (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 8, 2016
Working at Geek Squad City was a major improvement from my last place of work. The leadership and fellow coworkers are wonderful, and I recommend working for this company.
Great place to work at
Home Entertainment Advisor (HEA) (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 2, 2016
This is one company that is a great company to do business with and work for. Everyone learns just about everything and its always fun.
High Paced environment
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COAugust 1, 2016
Good Training with Geek Squads M.R.I. which is a live Operating System. This specific center is setting the standards for the district.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Worthwhile job in/out of college
Inventory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooks, KYJuly 21, 2016
Tedious and monotonous, but with competitive pay for the job sector. Numerous advancement opportunities. Sub-par benefits. Most of my co-workers were extremely proud of the brand. Management was often assumed to be a buddy-system where friends promote friends.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Stressful management operations
Just a cog in their machine with no room for advancement
Consultation Agent (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 19, 2016
Management is extremely demanding for what you get paid, awful customers, a commission-based environment without the actual commission, stupid rules and poorly run systems that make it very difficult to actually do your job.
Pros
Other employees were great, friendly and always helpful
Cons
Management and structure of the job is soul-sucking
Fun job that's always a challenge
Advanced Repair Agent (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 14, 2016
I learned a lot from Geeksquad. I thought since I had my A+ I knew a lot of things. I was wrong, very wrong. Geeksquad taught me a lot about windows, mac, various ways to clean up viruses and every day was a new challenge. The myriad ways people can mess up a computer is absolutely fascinating, yet terrifying at the same time.

That being said, the compensation for Geeksquad was a paltry 12 an hour. Factories and even warehouses around this area pay a good $14 or more an hour and only require a highschool diploma. Another issue was the hours. There was only 1 full time advanced repair agent. The other 2 were part time. Once the full time position opened up, I was temporarily made the full time ARA since I was the only one with the availability but ultimately I was denied the position due to not possessing leadership skills or some such. Admittedly I was a bit irritated as I had been there for around 8 months part time.

I was guaranteed twenty hours at least. Most of the time I got those but there were a few times to where I only got 16.5 hours or so. That was a bit frustrating and due to the distance, I paid more in gas than I made.

Management was hit or miss. Often times I felt overly micromanaged such as constantly being reminded to "work on the top three" and such. Not only that, we were often times understaffed to the point that I was pulled away from my job constantly to assist in checking in customers. It seems like once geeksquad had the computer checked in, the priority became making more revenue, or in this case, the people out there waiting was more important
  more... than the ones we had back there being worked on already. When I was out there I couldn't actually work on the computers in the back which would cause backups and hurt my turn time.

The largest part was the selling instructions. I signed on as a tech, not a salesman. I did not really care about selling services as I was explicitly told in interviews that contact with clients was supposed to be minimum. Again, this was mostly due to understaffing.

My co-workers were great for the most part. It was always nice to get feedback from them and they helped me think of ideas I might be overlooking on a troublesome unit. Management had no idea of my job for the most part and I spent most of my time explaining things in layman's terms so he could understand. He was mostly a salesman, which isn't a bad thing, but I feel that a manager in an IT job should have an idea of some basic IT.

Benefits were nonexistent, again this was because the job was part time. Advancement was difficult as there weren't many full time positions that opened up very often. Getting on as a work at home agent was even harder, so advancement potentially took years as everything moved at a snail's pace. With full time being considered a promotion, advancement shouldn't take that long, really. Not everyone can survive on part time forever. Anyways, that's just my two cents.

I like Geeksquad and would go back to work for it, admittedly despite the negative review. The management at that store however drove me batty. Would have to be in another store, without a doubt.
Pros
Challenging and fun job
Cons
No healthcare, short hours, hard to advance
Gs
Consultation Agent (Current Employee) –  Township of Brick, NJJuly 10, 2016
A good place to work. You can start you career off to a good foot with best buy and develop into a solid employee with the right supervisors and managers
Its a job
Consultation Agent (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 6, 2016
I loved the people that I worked with and even had a few great managers.

However,
You are expected to do way more than anyone else with little in the way of compensation because your Geek Squad.

They change SOP a lot instead of waiting to see if the first change is going to work

Customer Service jobs are always fairly terrible. People would blame you for their computers not working even before you touched them.

Working the holidays can be brutal, only real downside to work life balance.
Pros
Solid job for beginners in IT
Cons
Management can have some crazy expectations. And customers are entitled pains, don't get the concept of making appointments or waiting their turn.
IT support
Counter Agent (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJuly 6, 2016
Assisted clients with tech support and troubleshooting.
Computer repair and maintenance.
Educated clients of computer usage and programs.
Installation of computer hardware.
Productive also infulential
Geek Squad as Consultant Agent/Technician (Current Employee) –  Iselin, NJJuly 5, 2016
a typical day at work would be to troubleshoot any client of ours with any software and hardware based needs

I have grown more proficient with Operating systems also with hardware upgrades

my management is very easy going love being at work to provide a better service

my co-workers are amazing to work with very interesting and intelligent individuals

hardest part is to isolate certain problems within our scoop of work

interacting with one and other also being able to help our clients
Pros
discounts
Cons
not a lot of benefits
Consultation Agent (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLJune 28, 2016
From start to end, I have to say that this was one of my favorite jobs so far. On a typical day, I would assist as many as 20 clients on my own in their technical needs. The only issue I really had was that many clients would come in angry or upset, but this is understandable considering they are now missing a piece of their loved technology.
Pros
Friendly workplace
Cons
customers can tire you out after a while.
Love Job But...
Consultation Agent (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 23, 2016
I love my job but if you are part-time then your hours are extremely low. Imagine going to a fast food restaurant and have the same employee take your order, bring you your food, clean tables, answer phone calls, mop floors, take out trash and another employee in the back doing the cooking. As much as I love my job, this is what Geek Squad has become...one agent expected to do everything by themselves. I hope things turn around; not so much for myself but I feel the customer deserves better.
Pros
Fun Place to Work, Discounts, Great Management
Cons
Few Hours, Black Friday
A day with the Geeks
Technical Education Agent (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNJune 21, 2016
A typical day was very busy, as I helped in all aspects. I learned all aspects of repair both software and hardware repair on both apple and windows machines, and mobile devices. I learned how to effectively coach out to 50+ employees every month on selling strategies, and product knowledge, and how to handle clients with new and old technology. The hardest part of the job Would be having the need to be there for more than 45+ hours a week consistantly due to understaffing. The most enjoyable part was helping coworkers succeed, educating clients, fixing technology brought to me and seeing the clients be happy.
can have fun
Consultation Agent (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 13, 2016
Management was ok, had someone who at least knew what was going on with machines, then when he left to be a store manager, the replacement didn't know anything and lead to believe that didn't want to know anything about the field only customer satisfaction. Co-workers had fun and were able to answer some questions or willing to give a second opinion when client asked for one
great place to work
Computing Services Technician / Customer service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2016
great place to work. great hours. great people to work with. great hours. great pay. wonderful atmosphere. great experience
Agent (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJune 2, 2016
Enjoyed working with the public and helping with all technical needs. Great hours and flexible management staff. Pay could be more for the work that is done but overall not a bad job or rate of pay.
Job Security
Agent Home Theater Installer (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMay 23, 2016
The work is periodically is some areas. Its not always consistent which could be a problem. Sales may not be driven to secure jobs to be done.