Geeks On Site Employee Reviews

I have always loved doing my job for this company.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 24, 2017
I started with GOS going on two years, I have always loved doing my job for this company. I help out mainly elderly (the boomers) and help them get up to date with all the changes of our technological world. Also we do a lot of different services, I have even helped out with surveillance, network cabling, network set up ect.
Pros
I have always loved doing my job for this company.
Cons
I have had to travel a lot
Great for contract work
Provide technical support and PC Repair (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 17, 2017
Fun and challenging work. See something new every day. Meeting new people is the rewarding part of the job along with being able to fix someone's computer problem.
Good Technical support and extensive knowledge base.
IT Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 18, 2017
While I was there I received very good technical support when on site. The knowledge base was very extensive and quite useful for me.
There is a very short learning curve, mostly none at all. New hire employees are expected to know everything already.
Pros
Support and database.
Cons
No learning curve for new employees. Jobs are not scheduled at good time for the employee, I was always having to put other things on the back burner.
National Computer repair Service underpaying their subcontractors
Computer Repair Tech (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 28, 2017
The work provided by this company is of variable value, dependent on the skills of each of its subcontractors. All costs for travel, materials, even printing of bills was pushed to the subcontractors. Over all, if you were an excellent worker (such as myself), who could solve most problems in an hour, the worker lost money. Not worth the time and effort on my part for merely 25$ per hour (minus all expenses).
I enjoyed helping the customers. The hardest part of the job was that Geeks was charging them 100$ per hour, while paying me 25$.
The workplace culture was to delay and overcharge, two things I really did not agree with. A Typical day was to get a call with little to no information, drive to customer site, diagnose and resolve problems, and leave.
Cons
Cost of doing business with them
Not enough work to live on
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 8, 2017
Not enough work, office staff doesnt know enough to ask questions about the exact problem that a customer has.I would expect to get alot of work from them.
Pros
work your own schedule
Cons
not enough work
Good place
Tech 2 On-Site Support Technician (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 7, 2017
Work your own hours, be willing to travel.Great place to get started in the industry! Can't stress enough how you need to be willing to travel, that's the key to success here.
If You Like Making Money for Geeks Onsite
FST (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 11, 2017
If you want to be paid twenty-five cents on the dollar then this job is for you and no mileage reimbursement just a flat rate this is the job for you yeah
Pros
Cons
Twenty-five Cents on the dollar
Sham Company
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 9, 2017
I was very excited when I first found this company because it offered flexibility in setting hours, and the potential wages ($30-35/hour) sounded great. I was hired on 14 December 2016. Then nothing. Not a single trouble call. This is partially due to the fact that the company is based in Peru (despite their Miami address) and the "dispatchers" don't have the first clue about the area that the independent techs service

Then, I received my first trouble call today, 9 January. It was for a customer who couldn't remember the password to their Verizon e-mail. Geeks on site wants to charge this man an arm and a leg for something he could call Verizon and have done for free (reset the password). All I would have been able to do on site is call Verizon on behalf of the man (if Verizon would even talk to me).

On top of an expensive charge to the customer, I would have been spending gas out of my pocket for this ridiculous call that the company will not reimburse for. If I have several calls like that a day, I'm losing a significant amount of any earnings I make in fuel costs.

The company is absolutely shady. They try and get customers to buy these expensive "blocks" of time, when often the problem is a quick fix or the fix is simply for the customer to get a new computer. On top of all that, they place a ridiculously high markup on parts.

Do yourself a favor, if you see this company in a job listing, look somewhere else.
A day with GeeksOnSite
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJanuary 4, 2017
I work from my home. I get a call and an email describing the particular job, customers name and address and what gas reimbursement is to be paid. I then go to the customers home or office and solve the problem. These problems cover a wide range of issues from common internet connection issues to removing malware or completely reinstalling their operating system.
Pros
Work on my own schedule
Cons
Not enough work
Ok for part time
System Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 1, 2016
Not too bad of a place to work however, they were not able to keep me fully occupied on the days that I had available for them it became a problem as I would take time out to be available and no jobs would come in. I never had a problem getting paid it was always there on time when it was supposed to be the only problem I had about this was that you had to be set up sort of like a business so you had to handle all the taxes yourself.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Never enough work
I love this opportunity.
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLOctober 8, 2016
Great company let's us make our own schedule so at my availability. Gas re compensation, nice staff I have received a lot of experiences in two years and keep evolving with technology and getting paid I love helping the people I have met.
Pros
Great company, make our own schedule, Gas re compensation and commission.
Cons
none to me
Horrible experiences...
Onsite Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 10, 2016
While I LOVE the job, this is not a place I would choose to work again...
1) The pay was okay, when they would pay it.
2) Dispatchers are idiots.
3) They "hire" you as an independent contractor, but I'm challenging that now because, when they terminated me, they said I shared my personal information with someone. Other than my NAME, I did not. And they owe me for the last week they had me running over the state to do their appointments.

They also have an unenforceable "non-compete" in their "hiring" contract. So this should all end up pretty interesting.

The only good thing about this place was the people that I would go out to see and help, other than that I wouldn't work for this place if you're thinking about it.

If you amass a good amount of time and pay they get rid of you for "sharing your information"
Pros
Decent pay, decent hours
Cons
BS they give you in order to get out of paying you for services.
IT Specialist
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 12, 2016
My day consists of troubleshooting and problem solving for different customer home and business. I have the opportunity to meet and help hundred of people
Pros
Pay is decent if you're lucky to get a job, you set your hours
Cons
Not enough jobs, you need your own tools and supplies
Good Pay, once you got it
FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  LouisianaMay 27, 2016
During my time at geeks on site it became pretty routine that they would assign me tickets with the wrong information and then it would be updated later, sometimes a ticket would be setup for the same day it came in, then later on switched to an appointment next week (not so great when you're already at the scheduled appointment location)
Only One Complaint
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 13, 2016
Not a bad place to work overall. They allow me to go to customers' sites and use my skills when I do get work. My only complaint is that they don't give me much work.
Pros
Make your own hours, be your own boss
Cons
Not much work
Flexible Schedule with Satisfactory Compensation
FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  LouisianaMarch 10, 2016
My time at Geeks on Site went very well and I really enjoyed the job until a few months in they stopped sending my paychecks. I consulted human resources and after a week of emailing, I was finally back-payed for the time I'd worked. Shortly afterward, I received a call saying that I was no longer an employee of Geeks On Site and that there was no appeal process. I regret the way the last couple months went, but the job was a perfect fit for a college student and aside from the pay issues and unexplained release, I would recommend the company to others
Pros
Set your own schedule weekly, high hourly rate, freedom from the office, ability to make commission from parts sales
Cons
Not enough information sharing concerning customer, making followup appointments and customer schedules an issue.
Geeks Onsite
Technician (Current Employee) –  Out of houseFebruary 29, 2016
I find working for Geeks On Site is just what I expected. Not sure what the complaint about not having enough work is about. When they have a call they send it to me. Also there is a schedule that I use to put in my availability so there are no surprises. I do get gas reimbursement which is good. Some provides do not provide that. Most of the customers are older EUs, which can take more time to explain things but that is ok. I have taken calls outside my work radius and once took a late call. I did have one call where both me and my gps along with dispatch had trouble finding a client but that was the only snag. I get jobs elsewhere also and this outfit is not much different. I work as a contractor.
Pros
Gas money
Cons
nothing worth mentioning
Lack of work/clients
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Ponce de Leon, FLDecember 9, 2015
I personally wouldn't recommend becoming a 1099 independent distributor for these people...

Unless

You are already working a part-time/full time position and are looking to make between 100-500 more per month.

They don't provide much work. All the customers during the 2 months I worked for them seemed to be older repeat clients. They don't do much advertising of have any authority on the marketplace.

Personally I believe you would be better off posting your own ads on craigslist to make the same amount of money since all they do is provided you with a customer and take 75% of the visit expense and 90% of the profit margin from sold computers/parts/accessories.
Pros
work from home, make your schedule
Cons
little work, small commissions
Great company for self motivated individuals
IT Onsite Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 23, 2015
Great for that second job or even primary job. Can set your own time, schedule and distances to work. Only problem was work quantity.
Pros
Great pay compensation.
Cons
Not enough assignments.
Geeks on Site
Onsite Technician (Current Employee) –  Oxford, NCOctober 1, 2015
Diagnose and repair P.O.S. systems, PC's and laptops onsite and in-home. Provide technical support over the phone, setup and secure wireless networks.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours